Investment; Conveying Characterization

Comments

• Well it really did not matter due to her short life span of the game. Once again...if there had been scenes to invest us more, it might have mattered. I liked her for what we got...but it was just shock factor and driving the story forward in the end...and for that it matter not one bit whose kid she was.

DabigRG posted: »

For what little it's worth, did you like the fact that Mariana was David's daughter Gabe's sister or would you have preferred if she stayed his cousin?

• Wow thats hands-down the best summary of Becca's character I've ever read. Agreed with everything.

Hey ya'll! I was just digging threw older threads again and found one dedicated to talking about Season 2's Writing. So for the sake of post

• Thanks man!

cleminist posted: »

Wow thats hands-down the best summary of Becca's character I've ever read. Agreed with everything.

• What even is Clementine's character at this point?

• I prefer to learn about the characters in-game. We deserve to have knowledge about the people we are surviving with, you know. You can't just call someone your best friend after knowing them for 3 days like Tripp cough. We did get some sort of an idea for Eleanor's backstory/what happened to her from what she tells us. Though you have more dialogue with her if you tell Tripp the truth about Eli.
    What I am saying is, we have to learn about the characters from the start or as the story progresses. This didn't happen in ANF, sadly. Probably was going to, but the rewrites restrained that possibility. The only scrapped hubs we know of are the Prescott one and the rooftop one in From The Gallows. There are more I bet.

How do you feel about having things about the characters spelled out for you? Do you feel that can be helpful or even necessary at times? What are examples of areas where that would've/could've been useful? Any exceptions?

• I prefer to learn about the characters in-game. We deserve to have knowledge about the people we are surviving with, you know.
    What I am saying is, we have to learn about the characters from the start or as the story progresses.

Agreed.

Though you have more dialogue with her if you tell Tripp the truth about Eli.

Do you? I'll have to check that out again.

The only scrapped hubs we know of are the Prescott one and the rooftop one in From The Gallows. There are more I bet.

Probably so. I know the Sewers and David's House were two things cut when Thicker than Water was completely rewritten.

Fangirl101 posted: »

I prefer to learn about the characters in-game. We deserve to have knowledge about the people we are surviving with, you know. You can't jus

• I would give him a different personality. Have him be more quiet and reserved. I would probably scrap his love for Eleanor, too.

How would you have made Tripp a better, more defined character?

• How do you feel about the concept of Javier as a/the leader? Do you think it was a necessary development for the story/character? Does this feel like an[other] adequate departure from most of the playable characters? Do you think this had a significant effect on other characters, namely Kate and Tripp?

• Javi becoming leader was too fast and underdeveloped.(Yeah, no shit!) It could have worked for his development if it was executed better or devote some time to show his leadership skills. I feel like it was Kate making the tough decisions. But what do I know? I would have loved to see more of how Javier, Tripp, Conrad and the others work as a team. The fact that they barely knew each other doesn't help.

At first, I thought that Tripp meant "Ok, whatever you say, if it means getting us in." But apparently it's not that, heh? It sounds so familiar though. When Carley called Kenny "boss" in a New Day after it was proved that Duck was not bitten.

Do you think this had a significant effect on other characters, namely Kate and Tripp?

I don't think so... So many wasted oppurtunities with Javier. Sigh

How do you feel about the concept of Javier as a/the leader? Do you think it was a necessary development for the story/character? Does this

• Yup. There you go, love.

I prefer to learn about the characters in-game. We deserve to have knowledge about the people we are surviving with, you know. What I am

• Oh yeah, how the heck did I forget that? I guess she did complete some form of medical training after all.

I definitely remember the eyepatch line, though.

Waitaminute, did she just call Eli "pretty"?

Conrad's bar is a hanger?

Yup. There you go, love.

• You forgot that she was an EMT? How could you? I believe she was studying medicine in university. She looks very young, so she was probably like 20 pre-apocalypse. If you are not familiar with what EMT is, they are the medics on ambulances.

Aww, are you jealous? :smirk:
    Ahem, dafuq you mean Eli is not pretty? She was just joking, though, the joke was "Yeah, I was totally not calling YOU pretty, Javi".

No, the little room(?) where Eli was is a hanger.

Oh yeah, how the heck did I forget that? I guess she did complete some form of medical training after all. I definitely remember the eyepatch line, though. Waitaminute, did she just call Eli "pretty"? Conrad's bar is a hanger?

• When is it nice for a character to be subtle and when is it tolerable for the character to be more in your face? Multiple character types are encouraged.

• Do you think Javier needed a Shadow Archetype like his predecessors? Who could've filled that role and/or what would that be like?

• edited December 2017

Okay, so, here's a very on the fringe question for me: Are there any characters you find kinda, well, boring?
    Like, they simply don't fall into your personal scope of character one way or the other and/or just don't really stick out in the mind unless drawn into your attention through unconventional means?

Why exactly do you think/feel that is? And how do you think they could've been made a little more noteworthy, with or preferably without completely compromising what the point of the character is?

• edited January 2018

Is there a TWDG character whose personality you dislike? If so, what personality would you give him/her?.

Credit to @Fangirl101

• That's MY question! :angry:

Is there a TWDG character whose personality you dislike? If so, what personality would you give him/her?. Credit to @Fangirl101

• Only one tiny nitpick, and I absolutely adore our savior : )
    But I wish Kenny would've been a tad more open hearted when it came to new faces. Like I get it, it's 2 choices in the apocalypse: Do not get attached to someone cause they can die in the blink of an eye (no-pun intended). And/or just be a hardass because it isn't the time to put your guard down. Lee is at the top of my list when it comes to most beloved characters, and I often think how'd he react towards Carver's guildlines if he'd made it to S2. @ShampaFK would love this :D , but Kenny really put a lot of lives in danger with his rebellious actions at Howe's. Where would we be today if Kenny just followed the rules and remained neutral? Would we have a much larger community at Howe's to this day? Would everyone be alive a well? Would he have kept both eyes?

I personally don't categorize Carver as a villain. To me, (and I'm not defending him in any way) he just had his own way of doing things and ways of breaking new people in. Form of hazing if you will.

• As you know I absolutely despise Jane lol so manipulative
    • Joan's a narcissist
    • David's really insecure
    • Badger was just...

Is there a TWDG character whose personality you dislike? If so, what personality would you give him/her?. Credit to @Fangirl101

• Oh, was it?! :open_mouth: I remember @Louche answering it and I could've sworn I only noticed it because I was specifically looking for my questions.
    But okay, if you say so. Sorry.

That's MY question!

• Joan

How so? :confused:

Badger

:lol:

* As you know I absolutely despise Jane lol so manipulative * Joan's a narcissist * David's really insecure * Badger was just...

• It's okay. I recall you answering it, saying that Tripp's personality was your least favourite and you would have liked it if he stayed true to his Ties That Bind Part 1 self.
    The question mark is not needed. I know what I said and that it belongs to me. :smiley:

Oh, was it?! I remember @Louche answering it and I could've sworn I only noticed it because I was specifically looking for my questions. But okay, if you say so. Sorry.

• How so? :confused:

Like idk, but to me Joan just gives off this feel as if she wasn't important before the apocalypse. No one payed attention her, never employee of the month. And when the apocalypse hit, after a while of being scared, she just had this ultimatum and stopped at nothing to be in full control. Kinda like how most people get in this series, you erase your past and become anything you desire.

Joan How so? Badger

• edited January 2018

...Oh, you know what, you're absolutely right! It was on page 141. I must've repeated it and forgot to give credit or something.
    Thanks for the clarifications. :smile: And forgiveness.

The question mark is not needed. I know what I said and that it belongs to me. :smiley:

Well.... :lol:

@PapaHutDomino Like idk, but to me Joan just gives off this feel as if she wasn't important before the apocalypse. No one payed attention her, never employee of the month. And when the apocalypse hit, after a while of being scared, she just had this ultimatum and stopped at nothing to be in full control. Kinda like how most people get in this series, you erase your past and become anything you desire.

Interesting motivation for a character, there.
    Of course, I never really got the idea that she was really selfish. Though honestly, I think it's safe to say it's a little difficult to really gauge her characterization when it was arguably a pretty decent second to Tripp in terms of inconsistency.
    Also, the AMA revealed that she owned a furniture store and that she acted as a sorta "Den Mother" to her employees, really taking the time to get to know them.

It's okay. I recall you answering it, saying that Tripp's personality was your least favourite and you would have liked it if he stayed true

• Looking at an old comment from @IronWoodLover, what would be considered "character credibility?"

• Ummm, I can't say for sure what I had in mind when I wrote that comment (about a year ago), but I guess it has to do with whether a character acts according to their background history, established character reasoning and morals, basic human logic, etc.
    I guess inconsistent characters inevitably fall under the non-credible category, and vice versa.

For example, Javier, Kate, and Gabe taking Mariana's death so lightly even though they've been together day and night for the past 4 years and it's the first person they lose in such a long timespan. It was not credible for it to take such a little emotional toll on them.

Another example could be Tripp and Eleanor forgetting about Prescott and everyone they lost when it fell. These people lost their home and about everyone they knew, yet it gets little to no mention and affects absolutely nothing on their demeanor through the whole game. We get a little glimpse of them "mourning" (if you can even call it that), but that's really it. Again, both characters really lacked emotional credibility.

The last example I can think of right now would be Jesus, who comes from miles away to find his friends just to give up the next episode and brush it off with a "they're probably dead", even though he hasn't looked at all since he was confined to quarantine the whole time.

Looking at an old comment from @IronWoodLover, what would be considered "character credibility?"

• Ah, okay, now that makes a more sense!

Sorry to end up summoning you like that, I was just revisiting my thread there for old times sakes, saw that part of your comment, and just went "what now?"

Ummm, I can't say for sure what I had in mind when I wrote that comment (about a year ago), but I guess it has to do with whether a characte

• Well, delete that question mark.

...Oh, you know what, you're absolutely right! It was on page 141. I must've repeated it and forgot to give credit or something. Thanks for

• Okay, this might just be the swan song for this thread unless I run into another overly vague question along these lines:
    What exactly does it mean for a character to be "strong," whether in-universe or out?

• edited February 2018

Strong of will/character/mind, not physical strength??
    In terms of outside of the universe, it could just be that they have a decent story, a good setup as a character and if they die then it isn’t in a bad way that doesn’t affect us.

Okay, this might just be the swan song for this thread unless I run into another overly vague question along these lines: What exactly does it mean for a character to be "strong," whether in-universe or out?

• Eh, both really. I only included the out part and thus the question's presence in this thread because I realized people would get confused.

Melton23 posted: »

Strong of will/character/mind, not physical strength?? In terms of outside of the universe, it could just be that they have a decent story, a good setup as a character and if they die then it isn’t in a bad way that doesn’t affect us.

• Resilience, resourcefulness and at times callousness are the traits typically assosciated with characters that are portrayed as durable and strong in the series. The neurotic, impulsive and (again, at times) amicable characters are usually depicted as weak and/or expendable, especially in Season 2.

Okay, this might just be the swan song for this thread unless I run into another overly vague question along these lines: What exactly does it mean for a character to be "strong," whether in-universe or out?

• edited February 2018

Okay, at least one more: Has there ever been a time where there was a character from the game whom your feelings towards was somewhat influenced by other players/people's comments? Who and how?

• Sarah. The way that Carlos explained that she was too weak to know what was really going on outside those walls made me think that he was overplaying her fragility. Of course, she couldn't take it when her Dad died in front of her in the way he did, but that doesn't mean that she wasn't able to adapt. She just needed the proper guidance, which her father refused to give.

Okay, at least one more: Has there ever been a time where there was a character from the game whom your feelings towards was somewhat influenced by other players/people's comments? Who and how?

• I appreciate this comment quite a lot, but I meant beyond the 4th wall. :lol:

Sarah. The way that Carlos explained that she was too weak to know what was really going on outside those walls made me think that he was ov

• edited April 2018

To all "[Whatever ya wanna call yerselves]," but particularly @thewalkingclementine, @Fangirl101, @dojo32161, @MarijaaNo7, @Poogers555, @AronDracula, @TheAutisticGamer, @The Great Fish, and @UrbanRodrik.

Any ideas and/or reasonable speculations as to who/how/what Mariana is as a person? How would she have reacted to some of the later events and the other's choices?

• edited April 2018

To the hardcore Clementine and/or ANF!Clementine fans/nuts, such as @Dont_Look_Back, @Veeeee, @Firefox1972, @Spodes, @Ladariel, @thewalkingclementine, @Chibikid, @NyzNight, @AceFTW, @Scythenger, etc:

What do you think would've been some interesting ways and productive details that could've been used to vary up the characterization and behavior of the most recent incarnation of the mascot?

• Seeing how she survived on her own...how did she go about scavenging? What was her relationship with Prescott like? What were the 16 months with Christa like?

To the hardcore Clementine and/or ANF!Clementine fans/nuts, such as @Dont_Look_Back, @Veeeee, @Firefox1972, @Spodes, @Ladariel, @thewalkingc

• Sorry for being late to this...strength of character...consider that when Ben told Lee it was his fault...someone like Kenny would have thrown him off. Lee's strength of character comes from learning the hard way what letting your emotions run free does. He went down that path and killed a senator...he learned and used the lesson to maintain control.

Kenny never had this strength....in many ways Kenny is the weakest character in the series when it comes to personal control and the strength to fight your worst nature.

Lee never let his fear get in the way of his goal to save Clem...he walked into a herd and faced the stranger...all for a little girl that was not his.

Another one with strength...Christa...she lost her husband...and then lost her baby....yet she carried on because she had Clem to watch over. Christa was emotionally dead inside when we saw her after the 16 months...but she carried on because she had an obligation...that is strength of character.

• To answer my own question here, I'm gonna say Nick, to an extent.

I'll be honest: Nick was a character I just didn't/couldn't get into initially. Whereas everyone else in the character left some sort of impression on both me as a viewer/player and in relation to Clementine as a main character, Nick just never really really stood out as being important or relevant or even that original(Kenny+Ben). To me, he was just Luke's Sidekick and Pete's Nephew and not much else, narratively speaking. It got to the point where when Clementine and Jane heard Sarah and Luke arguing inside the Sunshine Village Mobile Home Park and found Nick's walker caught on the open fence, it took me a few seconds to remember who he was (and that he wasn't Kenny) and get a reaction of "...Oh, he died."

So when going online after first playing/experiencing the Season, I was a little surprised to see that he was a pretty beloved [glorified side] character both within this community and in many others according the YMMV page on TVTropes, to the point of being on a similar level as Sarah in terms of being a complex character with a lot of wasted potential. So on both my [most recent] second playthrough(where he ended being indirectly murdered by Walter) and during free time on Youtube, I made an effort to . And you know what, while he's still not a favorite character, nor one that I particularly like, I really did grow to appreciate the somewhat disproportionate amount of nuance his character arc had--essentially being favorably comparable(if not exceeding) to that of some of the bigger supporting characters in Season 1 in addition to having said arc play out as an co-effect of the plot--in contrast to that of Kenny and Jane. I think what really sealed the deal was a parallel one forum member used: Nick is the story of a sensitive young man with a troubled upbringing struggling to live up to expectations imposed on him by family, friends, and what currently passes as society at large.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.