Walking Dead Game Theories

Of course, it can be about any season.
I'll go first - Richmond... it's a city in Virginia, and Lee can tell the Greene family that his wife may be up in Virginia. Do you think (however stupid it may before the plot) that Lee's wife is in the New Frontier? Could Lee's wife actually be Ava (I'm kidding)?
I'd love to discuss this.

Comments

• edited January 2017

Edit: (however stupid it may be for the plot)

• Finding Lee's wife would be even worst realism wise than finding Kenny again.

Also those new plays won't even care.

It could be interesting, if it was like we can assume it maybe but never 100% told, but knowing s3 writing she'd introduce herself going, " Hi! I'm Lee's wife!"

• It would probably just be an Easter egg if she has a picture of him that is only found while searching a hub room

Poogers555 posted: »

Finding Lee's wife would be even worst realism wise than finding Kenny again. Also those new plays won't even care. It could be intere

• Arvo knew about Wellington.

• Carver was responsible for the death of Carlos's wife and Sarah witnessed this.

• edited January 2017

I'm about to drop the hottest theory of 2017. This makes R+L=J look like chump change. Check it:

Pete was a traitor to the Cabin Group.

A well intentioned traitor, of course. Basically it all stems from this weird line you can get from Carver right here.

enter image description here

But following the rabbit hole a little deeper...

What motivation would Pete have to 'betray' the Cabin Group and in what form? Setting the time back at Howes prior to the group's attempted escape from Carver - Rebecca is trying to convince others to leave since she can't stand Carver anymore and wants to leave with Alvin. Rebecca involves Luke in the conspiracy, who is obviously close friends with Nick who is convinced to get out.

Pete, when approached about this, is mostly unsure and thinks that Rebecca's baby - should it survive - would be in more danger out in the wilds than in Howes. In essence, he has a Bonnie-like mentality. But as a parallel to Bonnie, he actually goes through with the escape under the pretence that he has to be around to help keep the Cabin Group safe since Rebecca and others are determined to escape no matter what.

As a member at Howes, it's possible that Pete may have had access to a radio. For one reason or another, maybe through absent-mindedness, he picked one up amongst the supplies he took from Howes. At some point, communication may have been established between Pete and Carver again through the radios. Because Pete was already feeling bad about forcefully fleeing Carver's base (which may or may not have resulted in the death of innocents such as George), it could be possible that Carver persuaded him to keep tabs on what the Cabin Group were doing in exchange for Carver not bringing his group to chase down the Cabin Group. Pete agrees, and Carver stays at arms length for a while.

Why would Carver agree to this, though? Assuming Pete gave him information such as their general whereabouts, why not just storm the Cabin Group like he did at the Ski-Lodge and take them that way? Maybe because Carver didn't want a bunch of ungrateful ingrates back at his community, yet he didn't want to massacre them because it would look bad in front of whoever followed him (i.e Bonnie, Troy, Johnny). In this hypothetical scenario, I think it's possible that Carver would have waited until Rebecca had the baby under Carlos' supervision, then stolen the baby away from them at their most vulnerable. He only really seemed to care about Carlos as a 'friend' anyway, so I doubt he held much love for the rest of the group.

Fast forward to when the group arrive at the cabin. A good system gets set up - fish traps and close proximity to the river allow for good access to food and water. It's in the country, so lurkers aren't a huge issue. Pete even mentions in one of the hidden kitchen conversations that there are "more fish in the traps than we could ever eat." With this hint, Carver's group could even set up camp in proximity to the Cabin Group and stay long-term. Pete could coordinate future scavenges so that they could avoid running into Carver's group and spooking the Cabin Group into running off again. Carver could instruct Pete to contact Carver at specific times in order to avoid any suspicions that Pete is double-crossing Carver (irony) and attempting to slip out from his grasp. And with the radio, Pete can communicate when others are heading out so that his and Carver's group don't accidentally intercept each other. All the while ticking down to the inevitable pregnancy where a resolution of some kind can be reached.

Then Clementine happens.

Between Pete and Clementine, it's likely that Pete would have taken Clementine's story at face value and refused to join in with Rebecca and Nick's accusations. Not out of his good conscience but because he knows that Carver wouldn't send her. There would be no point to it if Pete was giving him everything that Carver needed. Perhaps Pete even confirmed this with Carver on the same night he met Clementine, and this could provide some dimension behind some lines that Carver can say to Clem when he meets her. "Carley... That's a sweet name." But not her name. Because Carver already knows who she is from Pete. "Clementine. Well you look just like a Clementine." Y'know. Because she matches the description that Pete gave her.

With the conversation we overhear in the kitchen between the Cabin Group, it seems like Pete is... Remarkably neutral in the conversations - repeating stories and facts that have already been stated rather than bringing in any new arguments or taking a side. The only stance he really takes is insisting that the group can't just let Clementine die - this is his morals speaking - he knows she's innocent, is probably telling the truth about the bite and has nothing to do with Carver. Examples:

"She said she was with a friend and they got attacked." -Already repeated. Nothing new.
    "He (Carver) isn't the type to let things lie."
    "We can't just let her die. Not if there's something we can do about it."
    "Let's just say she's telling the truth and she doesn't turn. Then what?"

Luke: "Pete, you saw those lurkers, all right. That's more than we've seen in a while."
    Pete: "...Yeah. Seems like it's not as safe as it was. Least not when we found this place."

Carlos: "...But can we find somewhere else? I don't know."
    Pete: "You've seen what it's like out there."

Dem conflicting statements tho. It's almost as if he's observing... Not taking a side again.

"Look, we've had a good run here. But if it's time to move on, then I got no problem with it."

Maybe he's testing the waters so he can fully see what the opinion's of everyone else is? He probably needs all the information he needs. And what about Clementine? Notice how he interrupts Clementine after she's finished the telling of her story to Luke. He was listening in to her - as he probably had to for everyone else for a while now so he could be kept in the loop.

So, if we have the radio which is basically the key to this entire theory - where is it? We don't see it on Pete's person at all or anywhere in the cabin. Obviously Pete can't keep it on his person and risk being seen with it. Clementine knows about that in Episode 3. However, there is one thing in the entire cabin that has an interacting option that you can't get open.

That's right. The closet in the bedroom. It's locked. No doubt by the key that Pete always keeps so that no one can find the radio in there.

And how do we know that's Pete's bedroom? Because you can find the Gold Watch in there. And when you think about where every other cabin member quarters, it makes sense.

• Pete and Nick in the closet room.
    • Carlos and Sarah in the other upstairs bedroom.
    • Alvin and Rebecca in the downstairs bedroom.
    • Luke would sleep on the couch, hence the creases on Carlos' shirt there.

The next day, Pete gets bit and Clementine/Nick spend a day isolated from everyone else.

Carver gets nervous as he wonders what might have happened - Did the group make a run for it? Were they killed? Does this 'Clementine' have anything to do with it?

So of course he does what any sane man would do - stroll right up to the rebels' front door and knock on it with no backup - asking about them and simultaneously analysing Clementine to see if she had the capacity to have done anything with them, making his random, creepy questioning towards her at least a little more relevant and logical.

EDIT - As someone pointed out in a PM, how would the people who were shot by the stream factor into this (Roman and the bandit who's dying) it could be possible that the bandits were caught stealing food from the traps in the morning. So Carver and his group took them out but didn't have time to clear out the bodies since he knew that Pete would be coming to check on them in the morning. He left them there in panic. Obviously Pete disappearing straight after this event could have lead to his anxiety towards what happened with the Cabin Group.

One last thing. When Carver introduces his intentions to Clementine about his hunt for the Cabin Group, he infamously lists of every person except someone who was seemingly written out of the plot - Nick's Mom. The fact that Carver didn't bring her up was because he already knew she was dead from Pete. It would solve this 'plothole' once and for all.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

• This is actually an amazing theory.

But could Telltale come up with that...
    Davissons posted: »

I'm about to drop the hottest theory of 2017. This makes R+L=J look like chump change. Check it: Pete was a traitor to the Cabin Group.

• edited January 2019

I'm about to drop the hottest theory of 2017. This makes R+L=J look like chump change. Check it: Pete was a traitor to the Cabin Group.

• Mind-blowing. Everything fits. Incredible job.

This theory honestly deserves its own thread, too.

• This is amazing.

I wish you made a video game.

• Oh, you already did post this here! My Bad!

• edited February 2017

Theory: Clem had never really shot Lee no matter what choice you had made.

Even when you tell her to shoot him she fires the shot but as the screen fades to black, you can actually hear Lee still breathing.

Does that mean Clem had missed? She did however closed her eyes when she had fired the shot. I don't think that is the factor. She had chosed not to.

I'm not saying that Lee is still alive. The significance of this theory is that Clem never had it in her to kill Lee. Instead Clem had left him against his will with great guilt.

I think Lee had begged Clem to shoot him but instead Clem had said "I can't do this!" and ran away as Lee was yelling at her to put him out of his misery...making their farewell even more tragic....

I think the guilt of Clem's decision was so traumatic that she had denied to herself that she had abandoned Lee thus repressing that moment within her memory. So much so that the last thing that she remembers about Lee was when she had fired that missed shot.

So when she had told Kenny during Amid The Ruins that she had shot Lee. She believed she had shot Lee because it keeps that repressed memory at bay.

For Clem it is better for her to believe she had fulfilled Lee's final wish of putting him out of his misery, instead she had abandoned him as Lee had spent his remaining moments in agony.

Lee had died a broken man with great anger towards Clem.

• edited February 2017

At the risk of sounding kind of rude, that seems to contradict Lee's behavior towards Clementine throughout the entire game.

But let's talk about the 'Goodbye' scene, a scene I ... uhm ... have memorised. Giggles nervously.

Picking the [ You have to shoot me ] option, in my opinion the more selfish choice, will lead to Lee convincing the girl to shoot him (the morality of that baffles me, but y'know. Separate argument entirely). The game is told through Lee's perspective, and the screen cuts to black after the gun goes off. The sound of Lee "breathing" is a bit of voice actor Dave Fennoy crying from the emotion of the scene, which I guess they left in for ... reasons.

The main reason I don't think this theory is in any way correct is the fact that, upon choosing that option, Lee will use a story of someone he put down to convince Clementine to shoot him. I'll just recount the one I think is the most impactful, but all of them have a similar "gist" to them.

Lee - You have to shoot me, honey.

Clementine - Lee... Nooo...

Lee - It's okay, it's okay. In Macon, those first days we met. D'you remember?

Clementine - Y - Yeah. I do...

Lee - When I went out to rescue that boy, Glenn, there was a girl. She'd been bitten, too. And all she wanted was to not come back as a walker.

Clementine - Lee?

Lee - And I remember how hard it was for me to do that. But I'm glad I did. You don't wanna see me as one'a them.

Clementine - O - Okay, Lee! I can do it! I - I can!

The point of quoting that feels train is to show that Lee does convince Clementine to shoot him in the face, if the player so wishes it. He doesn't raise his voice to yell at her, he just quietly tells her the way things have to be, in his eyes. At no point does Lee make to yell at her - either because he doesn't want to frighten the kid, or because he's too weak to even raise his voice, at this point. I can only recall him raising his voice at Clementine once or twice, and those are determinent. That, and they're hardly yelling.

A New Day

Clementine - I - I have to pee...

Lee - Then just go!

Around Every Corner

Clementine - Ta-da!

Lee - Don't ever do that again!

Lee yelling at Clementine is more or less unheard of, so having him being as - and this isn't meant to be me sounding mean - selfish as to yell at a frightened girl to put him out of his misery seems extremely out of character.

But, let's assume Clementine misses her first round - hey, it's a common theory!

Why wouldn't she shoot the gun again?

Lee clearly meant a huge amount to Clementine, talking about him years after his death and dreaming of him after a traumatic event such as being shot. It'd feel hugely out of character for her to disrespect his final wishes and run, rather than do the tricky thing for someone who just wants to go out peacefully and on his own terms.

I suppose there's also the argument of Lee isn't resentful if Clementine chooses to leave him if you let the timer run out, nor does he seem angry if he tells her to leave him to die. If anything, he seems at peace with the idea, quietly telling her that she needs to stay safe and giving her a piece of advice as to why she shouldn't shoot him before launching into his final words.

Clementine - I'll go! I'll - I'll leave you! I'll go as fast as I can!

Lee - And as safe as you can. Always be safe.

It's a decent idea, but I feel the following facts make it hard for me to agree with the theory:

• Lee wouldn't yell at Clementine, especially after a traumatic event such as seeing her parents as walkers
    • He doesn't resent her if you choose to leave him to turn
    • I highly doubt Clementine would abandon Lee if he asked her to help him one last time
    • The first season is told from Lee's perspective, and his POV went to blackness after the gun went off

Sorry for the rambling wall of text, I just wanted to share my thoughts. It's a cool theory! I just dunno if I personally can see it.

(Sorry for all the edits :c Formatting and stuff, grr!)

Yo-da-Man posted: »

Theory: Clem had never really shot Lee no matter what choice you had made. Even when you tell her to shoot him she fires the shot but as

• edited February 2017

deleted comment

Yo-da-Man posted: »

Theory: Clem had never really shot Lee no matter what choice you had made. Even when you tell her to shoot him she fires the shot but as

• Ava is Conrad's estranged daughter.

Shades-Chick is actually Huh-chick.

Ava/Shades-Chick and Gabe went to David's House after things started going south between David and Joan.

• Ava is violently protective of David.

Dr. Lingard turned to getting high to cope with the lost of his lover.

Huh-chick was related to Eli.

• Clementine was the one who killed Kenny/Edith/Jane due to being mentally unstable and paranoid, but revises what happened in flashbacks.

• Francine and Rebecca are sisters who were separated after the apocalypse.

• (Determinant) Once Kenny leaves Wellington he encounters Jesus's friends who he travels with until Jesus after EP3 reunites with them and tells them about Javier and Clementine. The reunited group travel to Richmond to help Javier and Clementine where Kenny,Clementine and AJ emotionally reunite.

• Duck killed Katja and framed it as a suicide in revenge of Kenny calling him "dumber than a bag of hammers".

• Doctor Lingard is Ben's father.

• Lily is part of the new frontier with a history with David and Ava prior to the apocalypse.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.