Good Game Recommendations for Telltale Fans Thread (Suggest games like Telltale here)

edited April 2017 in General Chat

Here you can post any game you've played that reminded you of Telltale. Whether it's a hidden indie gem that needs more love or maybe a AAA game that TT fans were either put off from or just never got around to playing.

If you have a steam account I highly suggest following the curator Choices and Consequences, as their name implies they recommend games that feature a strong emphasis on making choices.

(Please note: Only recommend games that share Telltale's signature choice based gameplay. This can include games where dialogue choices are present but are not the main gameplay mechanic.)

Tagged:

Comments

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

The indie game Paradigm is very much like the older style point and click Telltale games with strange but good humour which i would recommend to most Telltale fans.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/600370/Paradigm/

There is also a short demo on the official website.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Ace Att--

Please note: Only recommend games that share Telltale's signature choice based gameplay.

Dangit, i'll get you guys to play and love that series someday.

As for a different game with choices I'd recommend the Zero Escape series, which features plot twists that only a game could pull off. They were all recently released on Steam with the first two being bundled in "Zero Escape: The Nonary Games". I won't say anything further in case I give away any plot.

• I wish I could say Blues and Bullets, but that was abandoned after episode 2...Ugh

But, there's this bizarre one called Knee Deep that plays like an uncanny murder mystery, but the plot twist is that it's presented as a play with 3 acts. If you like David Lynch or just weird surreal stuff I highly recommend it.

• edited April 2017

Games I'd recommend:

• The Deed series- In this game series you have to successfully plot a murder and frame someone else for it. If you're okay with the morbid premise and the rpgmaker engine (it does have a distinct art style, so it doesn't look like an average rpgmaker game) I'd definitely say give it a try The game handles choice impressively well and its cheap (original is $0.99 and the sequel is on sale right now for 50 cents).

• Star Wars: Knights of the old republic- A true classic. Bioware's precursor to Mass Effect, and imo it's even better. Just know that if you decide to play the sequel that its ending is incomplete (still a good game, and the restored content mod does help restore the ending somewhat.)

• Deus Ex: Another classic, hailed as one of the greatest games of all time. It has definitely aged for sure so if old fps games put you off this probably isn't for you. Still, I was able to look past that and if you can too it has a great story and pretty awesome music.

• Call of Duty: Black Ops 2- "Wait WTF, what does a CoD game have to do with Telltale?" Yeah, well, if you aren't entirely against Call of Duty's gameplay and are willing to at least give the game a chance BO2's campaign has some surprisingly solid choices with actual consequences(those tower defense missions were jacked though). I'm not really a fan of CoD and I found myself engaged in the story. Give it a shot if you haven't already.

• Oxenfree- Designed by former Telltale members, Oxenfree is a game about 5 teens who take a ferry to a mysterious island. I don't want to spoil anything but I had a fun time with the game.

• stories the path of destinies
    • anything by quantic dream
    • newer Sherlock Holmes games by frogwares
    • life is strange
    • witcher 3
    • zero escape (thanks for reminding me dojo)

I might add more later

• edited April 2017

Yeah it's outrageous that they would abandon the game what with all the people who bought the season pass smh

Taught me to only trust episodic games from developers with good history developing episodic games or ones with a solid publisher.

Blues and Bullets was pretty good too from what was released.

I wish I could say Blues and Bullets, but that was abandoned after episode 2...Ugh But, there's this bizarre one called Knee Deep that p

• I've been thinking of getting Virtue's Last Reward on the 3DS. Should I start with that one, or will I not understand what's happening?

dojo32161 posted: »

Ace Att-- Please note: Only recommend games that share Telltale's signature choice based gameplay. Dangit, i'll get you guys t

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Not a good idea to start with that one, the connection to the previous game is pretty strong.

Acheive250 posted: »

I've been thinking of getting Virtue's Last Reward on the 3DS. Should I start with that one, or will I not understand what's happening?

• Hmm... I don't know how to get a hold of the previous one. I can't really use my computer, and the only way to get it on the DS is to find a physical copy, which is extremely rare.

dojo32161 posted: »

Not a good idea to start with that one, the connection to the previous game is pretty strong.

• Adventure RPGs

• Mass Effect Trilogy & Andromeda
    • Dragon Age Trilogy
    • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Duo-logy
    • Jade Empire
    • Baldur's Gate Duo-logy

JRPGs

• Fire Emblem Series
    • Valkyria Chronicles
    • Persona Series

Cinematic Games

• Until Dawn
    • Life Is Strange
    • Heavy Rain
    • Beyond Two Souls

Text Adventures/Visual Novels

• Choice of Robots
    • Choice of Games Library
    • Coming Out On Top
  • edited April 2017

Firstly I'll say Deus Ex: Human Revolution. That one in particular because I have yet to play the classic and Mankind Divided wasn't quite as good. The dialogue choices you make genuinely affect the ending you get but beyond that it has a really rich world and that's an important factor for a games with a good story. It's mostly a stealth/action game though so that's probably worth considering. It also has one of the best video game soundtracks I've ever heard.

The main one that shares a lot in common with Telltale games truly deserves to be played by not just Telltale fans, but everyone. Life is Strange. I didn't think much of it when I first heard about it and it's certainly far more grounded than a lot of Telltale's games but it has a really strong story with an interesting game mechanic. Telltale fans won't be disappointed by that game.

There's also Heavy Rain, though I've only watched it and not actually played it myself. I'm keeping my eye out for Detroit: Become Human, that's an upcoming interactive neo-noir science fiction thriller.

• The Gabriel Knight series (especially the 2nd one) is worth playing. 1979 Revolution is also a good one (albeit a bit short), get on sale.

• 2064: Read Only Memories (Steam, Vita, PS4)

It's a futuristic point-and-click game with veteran Telltale VAs (Melissa Hutchisson, Dave Fennoy, Adam Harrington and Gavin Hammon), a retraux design, multiple-choice dialogue (including alternate endings), new minigames and a plot revolving around murders, missing persons, robot sentience and human rights. It's LGBT friendly, too!

• Quantum Break is pretty good. Though, it's only on XB1 and PC. (And you also need a semi-powerful PC at that to be able to run it good.) I juust barely got to the threshold where I could play the game at a slightly-stutter 30fps, with plenty of dips every now and again, but my PC survived, and I finished the game. And, well, it is a third-person shooter (that can really get difficult sometimes.
    It's this sci-fi time travel story of these two friends who are in an accident with a time machine, they both get time powers, but one uses it for evil, the other uses it for good and must stop him. That's literally the simplest way I can say it.
    The main thing of this game are choices you can make at certain points in the story, to which it changes a few things later in the game (and sometimes it really is later than you'd think.) There are also special 20 minute live-action "TV Show" style episodes to watch in between each playable game chapter, [keep in mind that this game has real life actors doing mo-cap for the game section, and the live-action portions are their actual selves playing those same characters] that are also affected by your choices (Both big "Junction" choices, and small choices that you can interact with. The small ones only add maybe a visual thing in the background of an episode or a minute or two of an extra scene.) This "scripted, TV style thing based on your choices" can be likened to some things of what was said about Telltale's elusive Super Show; A mix between scripted and interactive entertainment.

The game is really better, and cooler, than what I just described. There are cool moments where all time has stopped and you must navigate through it, there are some interesting combat sequences where you can use your cool time powers to destroy the enemies, and many, many, many collectibles and files to read that flesh out the story so much more. I really scoured each level to find 'em all [of course, I didn't and missed some] I don't really want to say much more and accidentally spoil something (Because, since this is a time-travel type of story, things happen everywhere at any time) so I'll stop now.

• I'd say the Dreamfall series, I've never played it myself but I know there are choices along with their consequences and also pretty good plots from the echoes I've heard.

• Oh my gosh! Black Ops 2 campaign was so good!

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Games I'd recommend: * The Deed series- In this game series you have to successfully plot a murder and frame someone else for it. If yo

• Where?when? Did they made season 3

• edited April 2017
    • Galatea- This is a text adventure game where you play as an art critic who attends a gallery of artificial intelligence. You find one AI named Galatea and the whole game centers around your conversation with her. Many different endings mean there is a lot of replay value, and it's free. You can play it here. (Note: To start the game, press any button. Type "help" to learn how to play.)

• Facade- In this game you are invited by old friends Trip and Grace to to come over to their apartment to catch up. This game is interesting because you can actually type responses and Trip and Grace will respond, sort of like a chatbot. It doesn't always work when you try to play it seriously but it does give a few hilarious moments when you decide to fuck with them. Plus it's free.

• Press X to not die- This is an FMV game about nearly everyone in the world turning crazy and killing everyone. The only way for the few who didn't become insane to survive is to "press X to not die". If you cant stand stupid and juvenile humor this one is definitely not for you. If you don't mind that kind of humor then this game actually remembers the choices you make. It's short but its also pretty cheap.

• Life is strange looks almost like a telltale game.

• -Original Mass Effect trilogy
    -Dragon Age: Inquisition
    -Life is Strange
    -Grim Fandango

That's all I got.

• I wish I could say Blues and Bullets, but that was abandoned after episode 2...Ugh

So the rest of the episodes were cancelled, yes?

I wish I could say Blues and Bullets, but that was abandoned after episode 2...Ugh But, there's this bizarre one called Knee Deep that p

• I want to play Deus Ex and Mass Effect trilogy but I can't because they are not ported on PS4 and their latest games, from what I heard, ended up disappointing.

• -Heavy Rain
    -Life Is Strange
    -Until Dawn

About all I got. I wish there were more games based like Telltale. I love this type of video game.

• Firstly I'll say Deus Ex: Human Revolution. That one in particular because I have yet to play the classic and Mankind Divided wasn't quite as good. The dialogue choices you make genuinely affect the ending you get but beyond that it has a really rich world and that's an important factor for a games with a good story. It's mostly a stealth/action game though so that's probably worth considering. It also has one of the best video game soundtracks I've ever heard.

I remember playing that game but I never finished it. I think it's the first game that introduced me to dialogue mechanism. I hope it gets ported on PS4.

VenomHD posted: »

Firstly I'll say Deus Ex: Human Revolution. That one in particular because I have yet to play the classic and Mankind Divided wasn't quite a

• edited April 2017

Not even "cancelled" the devs went bankrupted and haven't made a mention of the game for over 6 months, but its very very very likely the game has been officially abandoned, which sucks hard.

AronDracula posted: »

I wish I could say Blues and Bullets, but that was abandoned after episode 2...Ugh So the rest of the episodes were cancelled, yes?

• Dishonored series- A stealth/action game similar to Deus Ex set in a steampunk setting. Many different ways to complete objectives means tons of replay value. Give it a try if you haven't already.

• Alpha Protocol- Don't be put off by the negative reviews surrounding this game, Alpha Protocol is one of the best examples of choice and consequence i have ever played. Sure the AI isn't stellar and the RPG elements could use some work (Only invest points in the assault rifle, don't bother with other weapons, everything else is fine.) But if you put that aside and the replay value and impact of your choices absolutely make up for it. Not to mention the game has been patched up since the buggy release and I didn't encounter a single glitch (on PC anyways). Definitely a recommend for Telltale fans.

• I got alpha protocol free from a Sega thing. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

* Dishonored series- A stealth/action game similar to Deus Ex set in a steampunk setting. Many different ways to complete objectives means t

• edited April 2017

Dishonored series- A stealth/action game similar to Deus Ex set in a steampunk setting. Many different ways to complete objectives means tons of replay value. Give it a try if you haven't already.

I think I should. I love being an assassin.

* Dishonored series- A stealth/action game similar to Deus Ex set in a steampunk setting. Many different ways to complete objectives means t

• I've hear Mass Effect: Andromeda is pretty bad, but I think Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is considered good (Haven't played either, have played DE: Human Revolution, though)

I thought Human Revolution was on PS4, didn't they release a Director's Cut version, or was that only on the WII U?

I want to play Deus Ex and Mass Effect trilogy but I can't because they are not ported on PS4 and their latest games, from what I heard, ended up disappointing.

• Life Is Strange
    Beyond Two Souls
    Heavy Rain
    Until Dawn

• You forgot Beyond: Two Souls. And there is also Detroit: Become Human coming out in the near future.

BroKenny posted: »

-Heavy Rain -Life Is Strange -Until Dawn About all I got. I wish there were more games based like Telltale. I love this type of video game.

• I'm too scared to play games that are considered disappointing.

I've hear Mass Effect: Andromeda is pretty bad, but I think Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is considered good (Haven't played either, have played

• Well, you have high standards.

Y'know that game no one wants to talk about? It released in 2006 and is an installment of the Sonic The Hedgehog series? Well, I enjoyed that. It's all just a matter of opinion.

I'm too scared to play games that are considered disappointing.

• Sonic 006? I thought I heard it's clearly unfinished and has the cringiest moment where Sonic is kissed by a human girl.

Well, you have high standards. Y'know that game no one wants to talk about? It released in 2006 and is an installment of the Sonic The Hedgehog series? Well, I enjoyed that. It's all just a matter of opinion.

• Yes, that is all totally true. But I still enjoyed it for what it is (And the HumanXSonic parts are the worst).

Sonic 006? I thought I heard it's clearly unfinished and has the cringiest moment where Sonic is kissed by a human girl.

• Fahrenheit/ Indigo Prophecy- The lesser known first of David Cage's interactive movie games, Fahrenheit has you playing the role of a man running from the cops framed for a murder that for some ominous reason he was not in control of. All I can say is if you try to take the game too seriously you're going to end up hating its story, but treat it as a B movie (game?) spoof of many classic movies and I promise you'll have a fun time.

• The Detail - An interactive graphic novel revolving around a fairly standard cop drama. If that sounds interesting to you I'd say check it out. I never got around to playing the finale but the first 2 parts were pretty decent. i wouldn't say its worth the asking price due to its length so be sure to get it on sale when you can.

• Fucking Fahrenheit. I took the story seriously up till the last third, it's still a stupidly fun time with how fucking dumb it gets.

* Fahrenheit/ Indigo Prophecy- The lesser known first of David Cage's interactive movie games, Fahrenheit has you playing the role of a man

• I almost kinda respect David Cage's decision to throw realism out the window and do whatever he wants. Say what you will about his writing ability, at least the guy takes risks, which is more than can be said for nearly every generic first person shooter game in the market and even several film directors in Hollywood.

Fucking Fahrenheit. I took the story seriously up till the last third, it's still a stupidly fun time with how fucking dumb it gets.

• Wow! Just watched the trailer for Detroit: Become Human and it looks awesome! Will definitely buy it when it comes out. Thanks, man! Also yeah I left Beyond out because I didn't really like Heavy Rain so never bothered playing Beyond.

Domi_nique posted: »

You forgot Beyond: Two Souls. And there is also Detroit: Become Human coming out in the near future.

• At least he sorta did it right in Beyond Two Souls, fucking Fahrenheit is a disaster piece. Don't forget the shit show that is Omikron too.

I almost kinda respect David Cage's decision to throw realism out the window and do whatever he wants. Say what you will about his writing a

Sign in to comment in this discussion.