Anime Movies Recommendation

Any recommendations? I want to watch more.

The genres I like is: modern drama/romance
Action/drama during the olden days.

No: futuristic setting, horror

Thanks. :)

Tagged:

Comments

• Just to clarify, it does not need to be anime. So long as it is animated.

I prefer anime because of the tone. Hard to find any of such tones in English movies.

• Dude, I fucking love movies. Especially animated ones. I got plenty to recommend.

Anime movies:

-The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

-Wolf Children

-The Boy and the Beast

-Akira

-Ghost in the Shell

-Anything by Hayao Miyazaki

-Only Yesterday

-Grave of the Fireflies

-Tale of the Princess Kaguya

-When Marnie Was There

-Perfect Blue

-Tokyo Godfathers

-5 Centimeters Per Second

Animated:

-Wrinkles

-Ernest and Celestine

-The Iron Giant

-The Prince of Egypt

-It's Such a Beautiful Day

-Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

-The Lego Movie

(I decided to exclude Disney movies, because chances are you've heard of most of those.)

• Thank you!

ralo229 posted: »

Dude, I fucking love movies. Especially animated ones. I got plenty to recommend. Anime movies: -The Girl Who Leapt Through Time -W

• Basically everything from Studio Ghibli.
    And - since you seem to like romance/drama - I can also wholeheartedly recommend "Hotaru no Mori e".

• Paprika is an amazing movie and you should definitely check it out.

• i saw a clip from that movie.... i was like " what the actual fuck?... O_o"

Paprika is an amazing movie and you should definitely check it out.

• I haven't seen all those movies you said, but for the 10 that I do know..... YES.

Dude, I fucking love movies. Especially animated ones. I got plenty to recommend. Anime movies: -The Girl Who Leapt Through Time -W

• I was going to recommend 2 of the best anime movies.

Akira
    Ghost in the Shell

But no futuristic/horror. So thats boring.

But going from what you said literally and Ghibli film. I also would say the new movie 'kimi no na wa' or 'your name' in english.

• And which ten are those in all curiosity?

AChicken posted: »

I haven't seen all those movies you said, but for the 10 that I do know..... YES.

• I have watched that and I really enjoyed it even though the plot wasn't that great. I will watch 5 Centimeteres Per Second tonight as recommended by another forum user above.

Megumin posted: »

I was going to recommend 2 of the best anime movies. Akira Ghost in the Shell But no futuristic/horror. So thats boring. But goin

• This list has great recommendations. From it I'd personally recommend you give The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Wolf Children, Grave of the Fireflies, Tokyo Godfathers & anything by Hayao Miyazaki a chance. :)

• I've tried 5CMPS but didn't get into it at all. I watched for 20 mins.

Whereas movies like Your Name sucked me in immediately.

Should i further watch it?

• What I am saying is I want something with a happy tone like Your Name but not to the point of Disney films.

• Just any Hashao Miyazaky (or whatever you write it) movie. It's mostly fantasy and surrelism, but some others like Grave of the Fireflies, centered around WWII are more realistic, while Spirited Away, for example, is about a little girl stuck in a brothel for gods trying to save her parents and befriending dragons.

The music is very italian-french though. The Cinema Paradiso love theme could fit perfectly at any time of most of the movies.

1. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
    2. Wolf Children
    3. The Boy and the Beast
    4. Anything by Hayao Miyazaki (since this is a generalization, I guess this list would be more than 10 as I've seen almost every single one of his movies)
    5. Only Yesterday
    6. Grave of the Fireflies
    7. Tale of the Princess Kaguya
    8. When Marnie Was There
    9. The Iron Giant
    10. The Lego Movie

And which ten are those in all curiosity?

• Well of course Dragon Ball: Evolution. It's a fantastic adaptation!

Memes and shit aside, while I know you said no futuristic stuff, Ghost in the Shell is REALLY solid, Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods is fantastic, and there's one called HAL: The Movie that I saw once and it was wonderful.

• edited May 2017

Fair enough. It's a movie that isn't really for everyone. I really liked it personally, though. Although, I would recommend watching the whole thing before you judge. It wouldn't be that time consuming since from what I remember, it's barely over an hour long.

On a side note: I'm so pissed that I haven't seen Your Name yet. I've heard it's great.

I've tried 5CMPS but didn't get into it at all. I watched for 20 mins. Whereas movies like Your Name sucked me in immediately. Should i further watch it?

• The only one I can think of for non-futuristic, non-horror (but then, I don't even watch horror) romantic anime that I feel I can recommend to you specifically is When Marnie Was There.

• It is no doubt the best anime movie I have ever seen.

Fair enough. It's a movie that isn't really for everyone. I really liked it personally, though. Although, I would recommend watching the who

• I've watched Your Name and A Silent Voice.

I want mvoies of those genre, NOT STORY.

• Thank you so much for these recommendations! I've been planning to watch Ghost In The Shell already but all the otehr things in your list are extremely interesting :) I'm excited because it's my first attempt at watching anime.

• Most of what he recommended are really old.

If you'd like some series, I would recommend Cardfight Vanguard, Naruto and Black Butler.

Cardfight Vanguard provides a serious tone coupled with little comedy with some (very little) fantasy elements. You should stop watching after the second season because the plot ended on a good note.(Link Joker). Anything after that is rubbish. If you like TT games, you'd like the story.

Black Butler is a drama toned anime about a boy who wants to take revenge on the people that killed his parents. I will not spoil more :)
    Watch episode 1-6 then skip to episode 16, because in-between is all filler which is completely irrelevant to the plot. Obviously keep on watching till season 3.

Naruto is basically a shounen about ninjas. The plot is too complex to explain. But it is mostly action and talking.

Thank you so much for these recommendations! I've been planning to watch Ghost In The Shell already but all the otehr things in your list are extremely interesting I'm excited because it's my first attempt at watching anime.

• No problem. I wouldn't consider myself an anime geek or anything, but I'd say most of these are pretty good starting points.

Thank you so much for these recommendations! I've been planning to watch Ghost In The Shell already but all the otehr things in your list are extremely interesting I'm excited because it's my first attempt at watching anime.

• Most of what he recommended are really old.

Yeah, sorry I couldn't recommend a ton of more recent stuff, but I personally don't try to discriminate against any movie no matter the age, target demographic, or country of origin. When I recommend stuff, chances are it's gonna vary.

Most of what he recommended are really old. If you'd like some series, I would recommend Cardfight Vanguard, Naruto and Black Butler.

• Indeed. But i find it hard to immerse in older anime because the art style is not gonna be as pretty as A Silenr Voice or Your Name.

However, this does not go for everybody :)

Most of what he recommended are really old. Yeah, sorry I couldn't recommend a ton of more recent stuff, but I personally don't try

• edited May 2017

Kureimoa (Claymore)

• Thank you too. I've heard about Black Butler and, of course, Naruto - it was really popular back in my childhood.

Most of what he recommended are really old. If you'd like some series, I would recommend Cardfight Vanguard, Naruto and Black Butler.

• two thoughts. well a question and a thought:

1. Are Hayao Miyazaki's films that good? im on a anime obsession (though i've just been watching naruto, but im looking for other stuff to watch eventually) so im looking for good shit to watch and everyone praises him so i thought maybe id ask yall which are his best movies and yall personal favortie. ive seen some of his movies, although i dont remember them all that well since its been years, i remember Spirited Away or something but not too well. so yeah, are his movies that good?

2. just random thought, i recently rewatched the first Naruto Shippuden movie (as i said im a little obsessed with the series rn) and i got to say its better than what i remembered it to be. i recently seen the majority of all of the Naruto movies, and well, most arent really good. id say only the first Naruto movie, the 1st shippuden movie, the Will of Fire and Road to Ninja are the best out of like 10 movies, i havent really seen the last. pls no spoilers for the series i still havent finished watching it, im on the itachi back story eps, like around 450s i think, so please if anyone comments, please no spoilers.

• edited May 2017

Naruto becomes really bad at around episode 600-ish. No kidding. Everything is filler. Fights are dragged on for episodes. Nothing else is interesting.

Naruto movies are REEEEEEEEEAAAAAALY BAD.

Spoiler below:

Kakashi adult vs Obito adult is a really good fight. One of the best. On par with Sasuke vs Itachi and Team 7 vs Haku

jamex1223 posted: »

two thoughts. well a question and a thought: * Are Hayao Miyazaki's films that good? im on a anime obsession (though i've just been wat

• i was like wtf, theres more than 600 eps to shippuden but i forget theyre basically the same part 1 and 2. yeah, there's a lot of filler, a lot which i dont like, but it was nice to get some breaks from the heavy shit that sometimes the main story had. in Shippuden the early filler imo was the best, after like the pain arc most of the filler is like, why? why not use some of the filler to better develop some of the relationships that youre eventually going to set up. i know a lot of the parings (this to me is a big problem, i like a good romance) and kinda how it ends, but not so much of the in between here and there so that;s why i dont want to see spoilers heh.

well, i think that there's only like 3-4 movies from naruto that are good. i mean theyre good naruto movies, as i can enjoy them because its more naruto but yeah most of the movies are bad, i enjoy some moments but theyre bad. i mean if they changed just a few things they be better but, ugh the villains for the majority of the movies trash. the best villain was probably in the 1st shippuden movie and it wasnt that memorable. i dont count Obito in road to ninja cuz hes, like he really isnt even a villain, it just wasnt. now the Menma character was interesting but underdeveloped and just thrown in there to have conflict. but yeah, enough of that, that's for like another thread haha

• edited May 2017

If you are fine with no action, but a great story, characters and drama, I suggest you check out the movie called Koe No Katachi (A Silent Voice). It is way better than Miyazaki films (but that is subjective). Also check out Kimi No Na Wa (Your Name), it is a lot like a Korean drama for the first part, but gradually becomes more serious.

Be warned, Koe No Katachi will leave you in tears.

i was like wtf, theres more than 600 eps to shippuden but i forget theyre basically the same part 1 and 2. yeah, there's a lot of filler, a

• ahh shit alright ill see them. ive been planning on watching Kimi No Na Wa for a while now, given that i like a good romance (something that Naruto hasnt given me except maybe the Shikamari one) and it looks its a bit on the romance side, so ill def check it out. hear good reviews about it and the animation looks pretty good.

If you are fine with no action, but a great story, characters and drama, I suggest you check out the movie called Koe No Katachi (A Silent V

• Lol, the characters only met twice in the entire movie. I wouldn't say its too much of a romance until the final part.

Koe no Katachi is more of a romance movie and there's character development.

In short: If you want a serious romance and slice of life but little comedy, watch Koe no Katachi.
    If you like Korean dramas you should watch Kimi no Na Wa

Both are great movies you should watch.

ahh shit alright ill see them. ive been planning on watching Kimi No Na Wa for a while now, given that i like a good romance (something that

• Miyazaki is absolutely amazing. All of his works are masterpieces. I suggest you to watch Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Wind Rises. There are some others, but these in particular make my heart flinch.

two thoughts. well a question and a thought: * Are Hayao Miyazaki's films that good? im on a anime obsession (though i've just been wat

• i seen spirited away, from what i little i remember i really liked it. yeah, its been a while, it was when i was really young so i dont remember much. also havent watched again cuz that big headed, big nose witch bitch freaks me out tbh lol.

hmm i seen so much praise of him i might just have to go on a Miyazaki binge..

Miyazaki is absolutely amazing. All of his works are masterpieces. I suggest you to watch Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle and Wind Rises. There are some others, but these in particular make my heart flinch.

• Shinkai is the new thing now.

i seen spirited away, from what i little i remember i really liked it. yeah, its been a while, it was when i was really young so i dont reme

• you seen any of his other movies besides your name?

Shinkai is the new thing now.

• Boku no pico

• 5 Centimetres Per Second. Personally, your name is his best work.

you seen any of his other movies besides your name?

• so i watched Kimi no na wa, solid film, got me a bit confused with the timeline but it thought it was pretty good. beautiful looking film omg. 8.5/10

If you are fine with no action, but a great story, characters and drama, I suggest you check out the movie called Koe No Katachi (A Silent V

Sign in to comment in this discussion.