Should I get Until Dawn or the Heavy Rain + Beyond collection?

I was thinking of getting one of those for my PS4, which one should I take?

Tagged:

Comments

• Until Dawn. It has better characters, better stories and better choices. Trust me.

• Until Dawn is a definite. Great characters and a great story.

Heavy Rain is good too but Beyond Two Souls isn't for everyone. I think it's good but I also understand a lot of people's issues with it.

• I love Until Dawn so much so Im obviously going to say that, lol

• edited June 2017

Until Dawn, definitely.

Great characters (though I only liked 3 of them tbh), story, etc. You definitely won't regret buying it.

• While Until Dawn is a good game I would go for Heavy Rain + Beyond since you get 2 games in one and despite how convoluted the stories become they're still immensely entertaining. Depends if you want a horror or two psychological thrillers.

• Until Dawn. While Heavy Rain is a good game, it has a LOT of things wrong with it. The game mechanics for one are annoying as fuck. There's a substantial amount of plotholes, one huge one that will pop right out at you, and the voice acting is god fucking awful. Never played Beyond, but I imagine it's a lot like it. Still, I'm not saying the game is complete trash, in fact I'll even say it's a good game if you want to become immersed in a cool story, but Until Dawn's story is so good. The voice acting is on point, and that game truly takes the 'every choice matters' effect in to true consideration.

• I have never played the game myself (dont currently own a PS4), but I watched it on youtube, and found that the only likeable characters in the entire game was Mike and Sam

AronDracula posted: »

Until Dawn. It has better characters, better stories and better choices. Trust me.

• Until Dawn is overrated imo. Even older I still say Heavy Rain is a lot better

• [removed]

• [removed]

• edited June 2017

Heavy Rain and Beyond. Until Dawn is good but it's relatively shorter and the game drags on during the second half.

Heavy Rain and Beyond aren't perfect, but I was never bored or lost interest in the characters at any time.

• Both are mediocre at best. Too short for the price.

• Both are great tbh. They are extremely similar gameplay wise as choices are very important, characters can die at any stage in the story, and qte's are crucial. Heavy Rain is a murder mystery type and Until Dawn is like playing a really good horror movie. Play both

• I hated Mike but I liked Sam, Chris and Emily

I have never played the game myself (dont currently own a PS4), but I watched it on youtube, and found that the only likeable characters in the entire game was Mike and Sam

• edited June 2017

Until Dawn is a very character-driven game in which you can't just go back and reload if you regret a choice you made. If you're into horror and that sort of thing, I'd say it's a must-buy. Heavy Rain is a hot mess - QTEs everywhere, awkward voice acting, forgettable characters, plot hole-riddled story, ect.

• Until Dawn

• I'm going to be the underdog and say Heavy Rain.

• Until Dawn. Heavy Rain was good, but it's definitely got more problems as listed by everyone else, and Beyond: Two Souls was a huge disappointment imo.

• Until Dawn. It's not perfect, but it's a lot more entertaining than anything David Cage does. His games just haven't aged well for me.

• Wasnt Emily the super bitchy one that was super unfair to everyone and has a scene where she literally almost gets someone killed by pushing them somshe can flee faster?

Not saying youre wrong, as its an objective opinion, but I seem to recall Emily being a major bitch and everyone hating her ass

I hated Mike but I liked Sam, Chris and Emily

• Until Dawn for sure. The choices matter immensely, far more than any Telltale Game ever made.

Heavy Rain is also great as well, but definitely not on the level of Until Dawn. Beyond: Two Souls isn't bad, but it isn't great either. It's definitely the worst of the three in my opinion.

I'd say you should get the one that interests you the most now, but definitely plan to play all of them at some point too.

• I don't think she was almost getting everyone killed. She has been through the mine shaft on her own and got out of there like a badass and she is like the only one who regrets what happened to Beth and Hannah if you examine their photos at the fire tower. I don't think she did want to prank Hannah, it was totally Jessica's idea.

Wasnt Emily the super bitchy one that was super unfair to everyone and has a scene where she literally almost gets someone killed by pushing

• Lol, if anything, Ashley was the REAL person getting almost everyone killed.

I don't think she was almost getting everyone killed. She has been through the mine shaft on her own and got out of there like a badass and

• Yep

Lol, if anything, Ashley was the REAL person getting almost everyone killed.

• edited June 2017

Hell, at least with Emily, whether you like her or not, she's SUPPOSED to be bitchy and Nichole Bloom does a fantastic job playing as her. Oh, and she never ACTUALLY gets anyone killed during the anniversary. But with Ashley, I feel like we're supposed to like her when her actions suggest otherwise.

She loses honesty if she feels bad for pranking Hannah, remorselessly kills Chris if he shot her REGARDLESS if she told him to, wouldn't stop begging Emily to leave the safe room which triggers Mike to point a gun at her, and overall she's just selfish, annoying and stupid.

So glad I opened that trapdoor.

Yep

• Rumor has it if you play one of David Cage's garbage godawful games you blow your brains out, so don't take your chances and play an actually good game instead. Grab Until Dawn.

• I'd recommend trying out Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy on steam first. It was made by David Cage and Quantic Dream before they made Heavy Rain and Beyond so it should give you a taste of what kind of games those two are. If you can enjoy Fahrenheit despite its flaws then by all means buy the collection. If not then go for Until Dawn.

• I love Indigo Prophecy just for how fucking fun (and hilarious) it is.

Da Hidden Dance Floor

Cocoa2736 posted: »

I'd recommend trying out Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy on steam first. It was made by David Cage and Quantic Dream before they made Heavy Rain

• if you don't like bad voice actors then STAY AWAY from Heavy Rain. Beyond two souls was pretty fun tho. I haven't played Until Dawn but I've seen a playthrough on youtube and it seems pretty good.

If you want an interesting story, go for Beyond.

If you want a scary shocking story, go for Until Dawn.

• I played all 3 and Heavy Rain was the best of them. Probably because it was the first of the three. Choices matter in all three. Forget that damn argument. While Heavy Rain and Beyond slowly unraveled the ending in clues, Until Dawn was more of a twist. Beyond was a big letdown to me personally. This is really Heavy Rain Vs Until Dawn.

All three have twists. If you prefer your twists in the form of a stinger, go for Until Dawn. If you prefer it in the form of something you can figure out, go for Heavy Rain. Genres are a little different too. Until Dawn is an 80's slasher and Heavy Rain is more like a thriller in the vein of Seven.

As someone pointed out, HR does have a major plot hole involving the killer and their motivation, it's different. UD, I couldn't give you a film example because it would give away the twist as it's been done many times before.

It's really up to what you want.

• THANK YOU!!! Honestly, apart from Hannah, Beth and Josh, I'm most sympathetic towards Emily because she could've gotten killed just out of pure assumption, and none of her 'friends' even tried to protect her. You spend years with people thinking they're who you can rely on and in the end, they'd sacrifice you to save their own skin without any legitimate justification.

I don't think she was almost getting everyone killed. She has been through the mine shaft on her own and got out of there like a badass and

• edited June 2017

My dislike for Until Dawn is solely because it's been done so many times before in a lot of 80's slashers. I could literally give you a list of films that used the same twist.

If you haven't watched a lot of 80's B movie slashers, I could see why the game appeals to you. I'm not trying to insult anybody. I'm older than most and I watched a lot of cult films.

Heavy Rain was one I, at least, didn't suspect for half the game(with the killer having no motivation for half the game, you can see why).

It was a great idea, poorly written. BTW, I hate Cage as well. the man is so full of himself.

... And I know I didn't spoil anything. I just wanted this comment to be for those whom have played the games.

Johro posted: »

I played all 3 and Heavy Rain was the best of them. Probably because it was the first of the three. Choices matter in all three. Forget

• Until Dawn, it's one of the few games that really highlights the butterfly effect, it's very entertaining and the characters are loveable and dislikeable at the same time. Plus, it's got a nice story, I honestly didn't think the big plot twist would be what it was, which is nice :p

• None.

• What's your point?

WalkerHH93 posted: »

Both are mediocre at best. Too short for the price.

• edited June 2017

I've never played or watched Heavy Rain (EDIT: Same goes for Beyond), but I assure you that Until Dawn is a great experience and you should definitely buy it.

• Im clearly in the minority but I didn't think until dawn was all that, the characters were standard horror movie cookie cutter tropes, the story didn't feel fresh at all, the ending was crap and I didn't like the cheap use of the "survivor" character no matter what the same person always makes it to the end (and they always had a smug look on their face even while cowering)

I didn't like the bitchy asian trope, I didn't like the standard treatment of black men in horror, I didn't like likeable pretty girl character type, I hated the treatment of The Stranger character trope, I could go on.

I think most people that rate untill dawns story as original haven't watched many 80s/90s slashers.

I like the credit sequence and how they did that part though.

• edited June 2017

That was the point though, all the characters are obvious cliches from your typical slasher. It's supposed to have that 80's B-movie cheese. Some just either didn't pick up on this or failed to find the charm in it. I don't think people are talking about the story being original so much as they are the twist (the "major" one if you catch my drift), which I personally thought was pretty great.

Im clearly in the minority but I didn't think until dawn was all that, the characters were standard horror movie cookie cutter tropes, the s

• edited June 2017

Da Hidden Dance Floor

HAAAANG IT UP! WOAH WOAH WOOAH WOAH!

I love Indigo Prophecy just for how fucking fun (and hilarious) it is. Da Hidden Dance Floor

Sign in to comment in this discussion.