[Video] Of Telltale formula and Game of Thrones

Telltale forums have really changed since the last time I was here. I don't know if there's anyone who would remember me here, as I've been active on these forums long ago and this place probably by now has got tons of new faces in the community (which is great!). But yeah, I was an active forummer at one point who now works as a game dev, and in free time I was making game design-related blog posts and now also game design-related videos. The most recent one focusing on the GoT series (with SPOILERS):

I figured I'd hop in to share the link if anybody's interested. Any comments are appreciated! :) Thank you!

Comments

• edited July 2017

Hey mate glad you come back.
    At a start(episode1) along I felt that the formula was well adapted in Bowen's possible death we are not given a direct choice to save the guy or not;the actions between we choose conditions his death or survival.

And sadly this formula went poor in the next chapters,when you choose a sentinel you're setting the fate of the candidates;turning in the traitor plot which at a start I though it was a question of choosing ideals and stick with them(conditioning the survive of such character) but even if you "throw" this path out;the antagonist does not recapitulate and stay loyal to Rodrik,being difficult for the player to understand the whole situation.

Other decision meaningless speaking about characters was sparing the life of Bloodsong the mercinary in Asher's story.This charcter has no bigger impact on chap 6,his "role" was to alternate phrases with Amaya during Rodrik's intro;I mean dead Amaya(black woman pit fighter chief) drains all the guys phrases...why they even get the character in?Character moreover in a graphic novel are introduced to do something with impact;not go fight die for anything at all.

Yeah game of thrones is about killing characters "on the edge" of their storylines but lazy writing is out of the topic.
    The game was great don't get me wrong but the essence of asoiaf was lost at times...
    Still I want my season 2 telltale!!!

• edited July 2017

And Good video I enjoyed it ;)

Tunak23 posted: »

Hey mate glad you come back. At a start(episode1) along I felt that the formula was well adapted in Bowen's possible death we are not given

• Thanks! :)

I actually forgot about the Bloodsong mercenary choice until you've mentioned it, which kinda shows how not memorable the choice and role was.

What I also remembered is that almost all characters who you get a failure for their death actually die in the plotline sooner or later. Rodrik/Asher, their mother (who, to be fair, in fail deahs usually dies with Rodrik), Mira. Some of those deaths are based on player's choices, sure, but in Season 2, would it really matter if Mira died because of the Lannister guard or if she got executed?

And I absolutely agree about season 2, I do want the series to continue. Telltale's GoT had some great moments.

Tunak23 posted: »

And Good video I enjoyed it

Sign in to comment in this discussion.