Batman S2 EP1: My Thoughts

So, after playing this wonderfull premiere to an interesting season, here is play-by-play of what I thought:

• First off, didn't like how there wasn't a "Previously On..." segment. Since there are a few choices that we know have some effect on Season 2, (like one concerning Alfred's eye and Batman's Identity) it made me pretty uncomfortable. There was no real way to check if the save file the game had imported brought along the right choices, or had some glitch and read one wrong. Just had to wait and see.
  • Plus, this exposition wasn't really needed. Too ambiguous, and really doesn't fill things in too much for "newcomers". I'd bet they'd be pretty confused when Joker shows up at a funeral you're at and talks about a 'favor' you promised him...

*But, enough negativity! This is where the good stuff starts!

• Unlike the first season, this one has barely and stutters and frame drops.. not even in the beginning like the last one! Telltale seems to have mastered their new engine somewhat.
  • I like the new QTEs they added in for Bats. Quick decision making during combat is something he does a lot, so I'm glad we get a say in it. Hopefully planning out some stealth takedowns comes back later as well. I miss it.
  • The Riddler in this first scene is pretty menacing. I like TTG's take on his murder traps. Squeamishly gory, but it makes sense for this character.
  • Now, the Agency. They're just the typical snarky villains you love to hate and that Telltale love to tease you with but knows you won't do anything bad because then your reputation is completely ruined.
  • By the time I reached the Batcave, I noticed that they've improved its hub. Much larger, and more things to look at. Yay! I also like their refinement of the Batcomputer (or should I say Bruce's refinement.) Less obnoxious unnamed buttons, more focus on what's important.
  • Just a note: Alfred chooses a classical tune for the Batcave if you stay silent about your decision. I thought it'd be some secret 4th option, like in MCSM Season 1.. you got to choose a name for yourself in an arena, and if you said nothing then your friend made up a completely different choice. Oh well.. too bad I like Classical. Thanks, Al.
  • When Tiffany came in Bruce's office, I had my suspicions she was already in on the Bat Operation, but I guess not. Have to decide later if I should tell her about the whole thing.
  • Was extremely sad when Lucius died. It was a total shocker... but, I don't want revenge for it. It wasn't Riddler's plan for that and it was just coincidence. I'll miss that buttery voice.
    L--> Yes Telltale, I hear you: "Ha ha, you're sad." :rage:

• Joker! Or, well... John. He shows up, and it gets uncomfortable real fast. I'm one who likes to keep Bruce's reputation clean, but I find myself trying to keep John happy, so that he doesn't hurt anyone. But, I can't do both. Here, I told him I was busy, so I couldn't meet his friends but I should make up for it later. I was a bit negative towards him, (and he says he does not take rejection lightly.. oh boy) but I said he could trust me. Well this won't backfire against me in any way!! ;) ;) :bawling:

• Also, another note: When John shows you the card, you don't have to take it and he'll just ball it up and get mad that he did something wrong. Poor John.
  • Riddler's puzzle was cool. Simple, but cool.
  • Unfortunately I encountered a major bug during my time there. [I'm on PS4] After entering the puzzle-death-chamber, I had proceeded to turn the wheel left to uncover the clue. After 1 singular turn, no matter how many times I held X and shoved the left stick left to continue turning it, the circle wouldn't fill up. I had to sit there for about a minute before I could reset the scene. After I had died, it finally worked as intended. Not pleased with this bug, however.
  • I do want to tell Gordon my alliances. Not who I am, but who I'm working with. He can help me with protection and all that, I think.
  • When watching the Lucius video for the soundbytes, it broke my heart to see Alfred so broken inside. This is all taking a toll on him, and it pains me to see it (especially after he lost his eye last season!). Telltale, you manipulative fiends.
  • I do find it strange that Bruce can reproduce the soundwave signal by linking words such as 'Tiffany' and 'Bruce'. Granted, I don't know how it works, but It's weird. I thought we were going to be analyzing the beeps and boops of the signal. Shouldn't this mean that Riddler has a recording of Lucius saying: "It was an honor working with you... Batman." Oh no.
  • I went to see Mori, and that choice was difficult. Get the info by force or by less obtrusive means? I took it by force, but I thought that would have made Bruce take it and run. I really didn't think the choking was necessary. Probably hurt my reputation too much... Oops.
  • But, this game isn't technically perfect. There was some slowdowns when looking around behind the first guard on the shipping freighter. Other than that, didn't notice much else.
  • Seriously, if her thread gets continued for much longer, I'm worried. Avesta's fascination with Batman might get her in trouble. And her conspiracy theories about Bruce might get me in trouble!
    -- although, (yes it's unfortunate) lucky that she's now deaf so she may not provide many more problems for me. Still, I wish I could have saved her.

• Good thing that Telltale still pays homage to Batman's roots. I noticed a "In memory of Adam West" in the credits.
    RIP Adam West...

All in all, this was a packed episode. Lots of twists, big developments, and hints for what we can expect.
I am annoyed we got no "Next Time On" segment, so we have nothing to go off of for the next episode other than the vague synopsis, so hopefully we get some development updates while we wait.
If I were any good at rating things I'd give this a 9 out of 10.

Comments

• Yeah, I didn't particularly care for the exposition dump at the start of the episode either.

Lots of detrimental choices in the episode. I REALLY hope Telltale doesn't cop out with half of them just to meet the release schedule which might have to be more than just a month like the last season in which half of the choices you made ended up kind of not mattering all that much.

• Yeah, there's lots of interesting stuff to work with here.

If not all of it pans out, hopefully Telltale at least does the Stranger treatment where the Agency lists all your misdeeds of choices in the end. Hear what horrible things you've done as Bruce Wayne.

J-Master posted: »

Yeah, I didn't particularly care for the exposition dump at the start of the episode either. Lots of detrimental choices in the episode.

• I know everyone has a varying opinion on them, but I'm glad it seems Telltale is ditching the Next Time Ons for this series, like they did in Walking Dead: New Frontier. I like entering into an episode with no unnecessary hints about what's going to happen (I don't watch any trailers either) and they are usually produced with a very low budget and don't provide much beside spoiling several plot points and encounters throughout the episode that are worth experiencing in the actual episode. I hope they keep this up.

• Agreed.

D3NN15 posted: »

I know everyone has a varying opinion on them, but I'm glad it seems Telltale is ditching the Next Time Ons for this series, like they did i

• Good thing that Telltale still pays homage to Batman's roots. I noticed a "In memory of Adam West" in the credits.

Really? How nice of Telltale.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.