Episode 3 spoiler thread

Well episode 3 is out in some countries and some people are just going to digital stores out of their countries to get the episode (like me) I guess we can discuss it now. The episode was ok but it didn't feel worth the 2 month wait the ending was good though. I kind of regret empowering the forge though but when Hala revived her son I kind of felt happy for her but she killed (or just terribly injured) Nebula so yeah. So discuss the episode here and don't forget to mention what you thought about it.

Tagged:

Comments

• So I just watched some YouTube let’s plays and there are many small choices that matter like Nebula can join Hala’s side or Hala can be burned or something or she can have a whole army on her side very interesting.

• I love how this game makes me feel like my choices matter! Loved Nebula's character development in this episode.

• Nebula is on my side and i destroyed the forge. Wow the choices mattered, lets see if that continues in episode 4

• Definitely proving this is one of Telltale's most underated games, this was a great episode, and I'm happy to hear things can be pretty different depending on your choices. I ended up finding the final choice to be really difficult over whether to empower the forge or destroy it, and whilst I would have liked to bring back Lylla or Drax's family for them, the prospect of Hala having access to it and the sorts of people it could bring back... I couldn't risk that.

Of course this now means I have both an angry Rocket and Drax and a pissed off Forge corrupted Hala to worry about. Uh oh. (Thankfully Nebula and Gamora are now BFF's and Groot is happy with my choice so...)

The flashbacks with Gamora and Nebula were also great, and YAY, MANTIS! Was totally not expecting her to appear but she was definitely one of the best parts of the episode. I had her read Groot's thoughts, figured it would be best for her to try a stable mind like his over Rocket or Drax's.

I'm quite keen on giving this episode a second run through sooner than later, see what my choices can affect with the conclusion to this episode.

• Eh I think your lucky that you decided to destroy the gorge because now I have all of Hala’s army to deal with and I really regret empowering it but I never go back to change my choices so I’m living with it. Also I had Drax get his mind read by Mantis one reason was because it ended up being hilarious and in the second movie Drax has some sort of love going on with Mantis.

Definitely proving this is one of Telltale's most underated games, this was a great episode, and I'm happy to hear things can be pretty diff

• Yeah, though I had a pretty heart breaking moment for Hala in my playthrough when I saw her son restored and immediately killed again in one swoop. Hala is not only apparently corrupted by the Forge somehow but seriously ticked off at the Guardians, no doubt this will lead to two very different threats for the player to face in Episode 4.

And yay for Draxtis! I loved Mantis in GOTG 2 especially with her relationship with Drax, so he appearing in the game is awesome. When I had her read Groot I got a nice heartfelt moment where she said Groot was genuinely happy for his friends to be able to understand him for once, as well as telling Rocket he was being selfish about using the Forge.

(Also I had to do the Slap Fight and the Funny Joke with Mantis. Reminded me of that moment in GOTG 2 too much.)

enter image description here

Creeper1846 posted: »

Eh I think your lucky that you decided to destroy the gorge because now I have all of Hala’s army to deal with and I really regret empowerin

• Hoo boy those 2 different cliffhangers are cool.

• edited August 2017

I empowered the forge. I know that if in reality, I had the power to bring loved ones back, I wouldn't think twice. So it was really a no brainer for me, and I had Mantis read Rocket. That was another simple decision for me. Rocket's been best buddies with me all this season, so why not have my best buddy be the one that's read?

• edited August 2017

I love it. I actually had a pretty hard time with the last choice. I KNEW empowering the forge was the messed-up choice, and the moral, safe choice was to destroy it, but I couldn't. Drax and Rocket had the opportunity of bringing back someone they love, and if I denied them this possibility I feel like it would be my fault their loved ones are dead. I know it isn't, but that's how I felt, and I wouldn't be surprised if they blamed me for it too. So I empowered it. And when I saw Hala crying holding her son, I didn't really regret it. Yes, she is evil, but she is still a mother.

• Solid episode, nothing extraordinary, but I liked it. I got a bit pissed when the writing was a bit stupid.

Gamora (to Nebula): I WANT YOU OUT OF MY LIFE

30 seconds later

Gamora: Thank you for giving me a second chance, Nebula.

Aside from that, it was a good time. I laughed when Peter started randomly crying when Mantis did and then seemed confused as to why he was crying. The slap fight was fun. I like Mantis as a character though I thought it was a bit of an overkill that they hyped up Peter and his Mom (flashbacks included) so much then nope it was just Mantis!

I give this episode a 7/10.

• It's ok. Quite short in my opinion, but we got a lot of character development for Nebula and a great flashback (narrated from both Gamora's and Nebula's point of view). It's also good to see that Nebula can be our ally or our antagonist depending on her relationship with Gamora.

It was a good episode overall, but its biggest flaw is the length, really short when we compare it to the other two.

• edited August 2017

Good job Telltale, you recycled a character and her jokes from Guardians 2.

Stay original.

• I really enjoyed Mantis. Felt the episode was a little short, but nothing else to complain about.

• Hala crying holding her son

Yeah that was very oddly sweet.

Abeille posted: »

I love it. I actually had a pretty hard time with the last choice. I KNEW empowering the forge was the messed-up choice, and the moral, safe

• I really enjoyed it! Mantis was adorable and from what I've read and seen, there is actually a surprising amount of variation which is great! Loved that little music montage of Peter trying to help everyone get along too. Also that scene in the electronics store with Peters mom was great. Pretty dark that you could actually talk about the bully's abuse.

Only real problems I had were that the hub area with the temple near the end probably lasted a bit too long and looking for the lens was a little confusing and some of the wonky ass animations. It's pretty jarring considering how well animated the new premiere of Batman was.

• edited August 2017

Honestly, haven't seen the movie so it worked for me lol. I assume you mean Mantis

J-Master posted: »

Good job Telltale, you recycled a character and her jokes from Guardians 2. Stay original.

• I think adding Mantis and Nebula to the group has made the game much more enjoyable. Hala continues to be a strong villain, and I actually got a few decent laughs this time still don't think this season has been good but hey maybe if the next two episodes are more like this one I may change my mind.

• I honestly loved this episode! Tales is my favorite Telltale Game right now, but after this episode Guardians is almost as good. I LOVED seeing Mantis in this episode (Especially since she has the same VA as Arcee from Transformers Prime).

This is probably one of the few times I've actually regretted making a choice in a Telltale Game. Because I empowered the Forge Gamora and Groot are pissed, Quilora/Geter is probably never gonna happen, but hey, at least Rocket , Drax, and Nebula are cool with me, so we'll see how this goes!

• I never take the aggressive routes in these games but I for sure beat datazz with the jerk in the start. That was satisfying.

I wanted a dialogue option like yeah and next time you will KNOW I broke your jaw and THINK I broke the other one.

Dude your running your mouth about someones dying mom? NO way around that you deserve those hands.

• edited August 2017

Yeah I loved that flashback I used my words and I feel it was equally satisfying seeing him be offended and seeing Peter’s mom slap the kid.

PHub07 posted: »

I never take the aggressive routes in these games but I for sure beat datazz with the jerk in the start. That was satisfying. I wanted a

• We still may get Peter's mom. That's why I empowered the Eternity Forge. There's still a chance.

BroKenny posted: »

Solid episode, nothing extraordinary, but I liked it. I got a bit pissed when the writing was a bit stupid. Gamora (to Nebula): I WANT YO

• edited August 2017

That was a really good episode!

• The flashback with Peter at the start was excellent and did a really good job at pulling on the heartstrings. I know we know the fate of Pete's mom, but man I played him sincere and upset, so I got to see a distressed ill mother slap the shit out of a jerkass kid.

• The more indepth flashback with Gamora and Nebula was fantastic, and being able to build that relationship and the bond between them at the time was wonderful. I also loved being able to see a more cold Gamora and a still hopeful Neb, interesting how they seemed to switch roles at the time.

• Slap fight was still very good the second time seeing it, and being able to just sit down and talk with Gamora was very much appreciated. I live for the quiet moments

• Finding Mantis was a pretty big surprise and WOW I love her. I haven't seen Vol 2 so I know nothing about her, but she's just the sweetest

• Being able to rekindle and see things through Nebula's eyes was surprising and a good twist. I loved being able to shape their relationship and bring the two of them back together again!

• Can't forget that AMAZING music montage. It felt like it would fit right into the movies, also telltale learned (for this series) that its okay to be quiet and let the music and choreography drive the scene! Kickass song too

• The exploration sequence while very dull in a gameplay aspect was a good thinking moment on deciding what was the best action to take with the forge, and seeing all the characters pleas for what to do was interesting, also teamwork makes the dreamwork!

• I destroyed the forge because I felt it was time to let go of the past. It sucks that these people died, but its better to look towards the future as Mantis put it, which I didn't think of at the time, so...I got to experience a traumatized and incredibly angry Hala looking for vengeance...Oh boy

Overall a quiet character driven episode with a very hard choice to make. Loved the hell out of it, and am looking forward to seeing all my actions coming to punch me in the gut (very hard). I know people don't care about Guardians here for the most part, which is such a shame as there are some sincere and insanely well done scenes in this series and episode in general.

• I ended up getting the best of both worlds. I used my words on the bully, then beat his ass anyway after he kept going.

• (Now feels awful for basically killing her son in my play through)

Abeille posted: »

I love it. I actually had a pretty hard time with the last choice. I KNEW empowering the forge was the messed-up choice, and the moral, safe

• And I regretted destroying it because I destroyed Hala's child and probably doomed my friendship with Rocket and Drax.

As Peter said, responsibility... it SUCKS.

SonicGX98 posted: »

I honestly loved this episode! Tales is my favorite Telltale Game right now, but after this episode Guardians is almost as good. I LOVED see

• Huge improvement on the first two eps. I kept the forge.

• edited August 2017

What an awesome episode, better than the previous ones. Liked the flashback with Peter and his mom, wanted to beat the bully, but used my words instead and whoa that line about the abuse and those bruises on his arms.. don't even know what to say. And then seeing the mom slap the kid, he really deserved it but I still feel conflicted. Gamora and Nebula flashbacks were great too, convinced Nebula to stay of course. Hope all goes well between them, Nebula can't be dead!

Was really surprised to see Mantis, I like the differences between the movie and the game, keeps it interesting. Great character, chose Drax's emotions to be read and felt bad when he said afterwards that we had no right to do that to him. Which is true. The music montage was awesome, the quieter moments where you can just talk to the other characters were great, the fight scenes were also a lot of fun! Deciding between destroying or empowering the forge was surprisingly difficult.. decided to empower it and regretted it immediately when Hala walked in. So worth the wait, more of this please.

• Even though the episode was on the slow side and one might say most of it was basically a filler, I enjoyed the character interactions. Mantis and Nebula made quite a nice addition to the team and this time there were a lot of moments where I actually chuckled (which was pretty rare in previous episodes) - especially loved the slapping contest and the music montage in the middle was simply amazing.

As for the last choice, I didn't expect the forge to be actually destroyed to be honest. I thought this would be typical Telltale choice and Hala would interrupt at the last minute to take the forge for herself and reviving the army anyway, but I guess not. Now I'm really curious where will they take it next since the forge was the main focus for basically the whole series. Hopefully forge-infused Hala won't gain the ability to resurrect people or something and revive her whole army regardless. (which would be such a Telltale thing to do)

• Telltale gonna Telltale buddy.

Pipas posted: »

Even though the episode was on the slow side and one might say most of it was basically a filler, I enjoyed the character interactions. Mant

• edited August 2017

Man I thought this episode was really good, definitely the best of the bunch. I even laughed out loud a couple of times (instead of only blowing air out though my nose).

Ps:Would slap fight Gamora again/10
    Pps: Nebula: jumps out of disc-hologram's way. Drax: Hah you're so stupid, it's only a hologram! - was also one of the things that got me. It's dumb but it's just so straightforward I burst out laughing.

• That happened for you? Oh my god that's hilarious.

Timcanpy posted: »

Man I thought this episode was really good, definitely the best of the bunch. I even laughed out loud a couple of times (instead of only blo

• This was the first episode Ive actually enjoyed, even with its faults. I think it might have even been a bit longer than the others

• Just something I'm wondering about the lore, does the eternity forge need to exist in order for it's resurectees to continue living or does destroying it take away the lives of all who have ever been resurrected? Because it would make for an interesting choice if you empowered the eternity forge and at the end of the season, Hala still had her son and army but you got the decision of whether to empower or destroy it again, either bringing back everyone's loved ones or destroying Hala's army.

• I think that's dependant on the previous episode, as if you take Drax to the temple he does a similar thing. (protects Peter from a hologram of Hala)

It's cool!

That happened for you? Oh my god that's hilarious.

• I did take him with me, but Nebula freaking out over the hologram didn't happen with me.

AChicken posted: »

I think that's dependant on the previous episode, as if you take Drax to the temple he does a similar thing. (protects Peter from a hologram of Hala) It's cool!

• I really enjoyed Mantis in the aptly titled "More Than a Feeling". I thought she was the highlight of the entire thing, funny, naïve, and cute (much like Gortys from Tales From The Borderlands) she really stood out. Nebula too, it's a shame what happened to her in my playthrough (a slightly bad condition known as DEATH). I wished we got more than one song, but the one we got was decent. Overall, I'd say this is the best episode yet. I hope it only gets better.

• Shhhhh she's not dead because uh ya see she said she was okay...SO she's fineeeee

I really enjoyed Mantis in the aptly titled "More Than a Feeling". I thought she was the highlight of the entire thing, funny, naïve, and cu

• Hm.. did you scan the area near her when looking for the disc? Maybe you avoided it somehow.

I did take him with me, but Nebula freaking out over the hologram didn't happen with me.

• That might have been it. I was just following the disc's direction.

AChicken posted: »

Hm.. did you scan the area near her when looking for the disc? Maybe you avoided it somehow.

• Well, this was quite the ride. Early releases (of course) to avoid, messed up store pages, and a whole lot of waiting but I finally did it. It was really good. Choices are the star of this episode.. there are many, they are powerful and playful, and are numerous enough in small sections that the Tailoring really shows here.
    My Thoughts:

• Boy, the title card appeared fast. Walking through the corridor, Gamora passes by... BOOM. Gone. I guess they had to find some way to incorporate it into the beginning without using the "flying through space" openings they've used so far. I'm not mad because of it, it was just a really anti-climactic title card. Oh well.
    • The flashback scenes were cool. Seeing another Peter flashback was nice, and then Gamora's flashback right after... ooh. Interesting what they did with it in this episode.
      Only problem I have with this is that the game misread my choice of the promise to Meredith, so of course when I used my fists she was furious because I had promised her I'd use words. No I did not... Mom.

• Anyways, the big reveal of the fate of Peter's mom ends up coming down to... Mantis? I was a bit peeved by this, as I kind of wanted some new obscure characters to see instead of so many from the movies... but I really quickly ended up falling in love with her. She's the Gortys of this series, and how can you get any better than that? Plus, they did give a cool spin on her character being involved with the Forge plot and all. Plus she called me "Star Lord Baby" a lot... So cute.

• There was this really funny moment where I had Mantis repeat her long story twice. I loved that. Such a good joke to pull. "Sorry, I wasn't listening." [Mantis starts over]
    • I thought it was really nice to try and cool the emotional mood in the room, as then you got to hear all the Guardians spill their harts out of why they want/don't want the Forge empowered.
    • Nebula's flashback (plot twist!) had cool integration of choices. It was really awesome to see the game recite my choices back to me, and I continued on the other path making my own choices. Reminds me a bit of some moments from TFTB.
    • I chose to keep Nebula, and I guess I did a good job of it because her and Nebula reconnected later! That touched my heart knowing that I did that, and it was dependant on my choices. That was a really nice feeling, also due to the fact that I hadn't agreed with Gamora a bunch lately.. Plus I got a hug from Gamora. :3
    • THAT MONTAGE THO. I liked that touch, and showed some really funny moments of the whole gang. I loved that arm-wrestling contest between Drax and Nebula+Gamora.
    • After Rocket was in an angry drunken stupor and told me off after telling him Lylla would be disappointed in him (because he was telling me he wished I didn't come back since I wasn't sure what to do with the Forge) he apologised. I brushed it off and told him we just need to go, but I felt so guilty afterwards. He isn't the type to seek forgiveness, and I was mostly trying to make him feel bad after insulting me and the rest of the team. It just made me feel worse. Telltale, how do you know the secret to breaking hearts? :'(
    • The two things I just didn't get with the plot are:
    1. I don't know why Gamora is against using the Forge because she'd need to "take a life to save one" when she murders all those Kree soldiers like it's nothing.
    2. I found it kind of odd how no one got back up to stop Hala from grabbing the Forge, but I just assume it was too late, and they were all going to get knocked down again or something. Ah well.

All in All, this episode was really well made. The humour was on point, and there wasn't a single joke that felt too cheesy or ill-timed. Every laugh was perfect. The choices were incredible in this episode, as there were quite a few dialogue options that changed many situations, as well as the big choices that seem like it'll have a huge impact later on. While I wish the game hadn't misread my Promise choice, and that there was maybe one other new song, it was incredible. I think it lasted about just under two hours for me. After the trophies for Chapters 1, 2 and 3 popped up in such a short amount of time, I was really worried that this episode would be short. But the back half of it has some long chapters.
    If I were any good at rating things, I'd give this a 9.5 out of 10.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.