Call of Duty WW2...Are games going to hell?

So I am sure you have seen the posts about how loot boxes work in the new CoD...A long time ago...Roger Ebert claimed that Video games could never be art. He was wrong of course, art is in the eyes of the beholder. I am no FPS fan...I have played...but it is not something that resides in my wheelhouse unless it has some good story elements...like Bioshock or Alien Isolation.

Multi-player is just something that I am no good at...If you ever saw me play...I would guess it would be like clubbing a baby seal...I have no guile when it comes to multiplayer. But now...even before we get to the point where I am to be clubbed...we get to watch people open loot boxes that drop from the sky...and you get to see exactly what they have gotten.

What do you guys, some of you I know probably love online fragfests...what do you think of Activision doing this?

Tagged:

Comments

• The loot crate thing is fucking dumb but the headquarters actually looks like a cool new feature. All in all this is still nothing compared to that patent Activision filed for which forces newer players to go against more experienced players to incentivise paying for microtransactions.

• What’s wrong with them falling out of the sky?

• I don't understand why people are still excited for Call of Duty. There is nothing cool or new about WWII, it's just a remake/reboot of Call of Duty 2. None of COD games had great story, all their multiplayers get old very fast, it's shoot to kill over and over and over again. Also, you're always told to do EVERYTHING.

I'd rather play a single player FPS game with a great story that features no microtransactions being Wolfenstein 2 The New Colossus.

• literally everything you just said can be applied to many different games, some of which are really good regardless. COD is shit but tbh it gets way too much hate, it's just a fucking shooter jesus christ.

AronDracula posted: »

I don't understand why people are still excited for Call of Duty. There is nothing cool or new about WWII, it's just a remake/reboot of Call

• Because it's a franchise that has no reason to be alive if they make the same game over and over again, only to change locations and weapons. Hell, even Troy Baker and Kevin Spacey couldn't save Advanced Warfare.

literally everything you just said can be applied to many different games, some of which are really good regardless. COD is shit but tbh it gets way too much hate, it's just a fucking shooter jesus christ.

• Logic and the fact that it is done to force feed you that you need to invest more money into the game because say you are standing there and some jackass gets a box...that falls from the sky...then everyone's attention is drawn to him...now say the game has an algorithm that compares gear of everyone in that camp...and decides to give him an epic item....now how many people there will be thinking...huh...well a loot box is only a little bit...so they try...and fail to get an epic...so they try again.

Also if they are in a camp...wouldn't they go to a quartermaster to get gear...no this is just to drive home the fact that you need to put more money...cause your 60 only grants you basic gear....though if you would pony up for a legendary.....

Melton23 posted: »

What’s wrong with them falling out of the sky?

• Not every game in the world has to be serious and super realistic you know? If they were they would be boring.

Logic and the fact that it is done to force feed you that you need to invest more money into the game because say you are standing there and

• again, this logic can be applied to many different things, some of which are still fun games.

Because it's a franchise that has no reason to be alive if they make the same game over and over again, only to change locations and weapons. Hell, even Troy Baker and Kevin Spacey couldn't save Advanced Warfare.

• Activision sucks. Take it from a Destiny player.

• Do you not get lootboxes by just playing the game like overwatch?

• Not that I know of...and if you do...those would be basic items...Activision loves money. And hell given how many people buy Loot boxes in Overwatch...I am welling to bet you get a ton of replicas and it just becomes easier to spend money.

Jaku2011 posted: »

Do you not get lootboxes by just playing the game like overwatch?

• Overwatch doesn't give you replicas anymore they took that out. Haven't followed COD WW2 so I don't know what would even be in the lootboxes so I guess I can't really weigh in on it.

Not that I know of...and if you do...those would be basic items...Activision loves money. And hell given how many people buy Loot boxes in Overwatch...I am welling to bet you get a ton of replicas and it just becomes easier to spend money.

• edited November 2017

You can earn loot boxes through multiplayer, completing contracts/challenges/dailly and weekly orders, and also by watching other players open loot boxes in that headquarters thing they added. They're almost entirely cosmetic and the ones that actually give you an upperhand are in the zombie mode and it's just temporary buffs.

I don't play the game, I just read it off an article.

Jaku2011 posted: »

Do you not get lootboxes by just playing the game like overwatch?

• edited November 2017

Hahahahahaha, look at the user score in Metacritic.

• Because user reviews on Metacritic are super trustworthy. You either get people review bombing a game, or you get people copy and pasting the same high score review.

Hahahahahaha, look at the user score in Metacritic.

• I just found it funny. Sometimes I can't trust either of them.

MichaelBP posted: »

Because user reviews on Metacritic are super trustworthy. You either get people review bombing a game, or you get people copy and pasting the same high score review.

• I spotted one

• That's fine then don't really see an issue if they are just cosmetic.

lupinb0y posted: »

You can earn loot boxes through multiplayer, completing contracts/challenges/dailly and weekly orders, and also by watching other players op

• I hate Metacritic user reviews...

I spotted one

• IKR. Even great games get stupid low-scored reviews by those assholes.

I hate Metacritic user reviews...

• It's sad, in my opinion. I was so hyped for this. I thought, how could they possibly fail? But the addition of lootboxes and a healthbar just killed all hype. Exactly every ounce of hype in me died, and I am glad that I chose Star Wars Battlefront II instead.

• You really expected something good from Activision? They're easily the worst gaming publishers along with EA and Konami.

captainivy1 posted: »

It's sad, in my opinion. I was so hyped for this. I thought, how could they possibly fail? But the addition of lootboxes and a healthbar jus

• Just bought the game. Truthfully, watching someone open a loot box does nothing to me. I'm not going to buy loot boxes. Seeing someone open a loot box won't change that. If someone decides to buy a loot box because they saw what someone else got is on them. Are gamers that weak willed? I understand loot boxes are becoming a huge problem in gaming. But for me personally, I don't care if they are in a game; I never use them. No matter how gridy a game seems. At the end of the day it's just a game. I couldn't care less if another player has better in game items than I do. It's a damn game.

• Nowadays, yes. But I thought they got better, because this looked so good. I mean, Modern Warfare trilogy was good. I personally enjoyed the shit out of Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse, and of course most of the pre-2010 games.

You really expected something good from Activision? They're easily the worst gaming publishers along with EA and Konami.

• They're just getting worse now.

captainivy1 posted: »

Nowadays, yes. But I thought they got better, because this looked so good. I mean, Modern Warfare trilogy was good. I personally enjoyed the shit out of Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse, and of course most of the pre-2010 games.

• Those two new patents they requested are pretty... shady. Loot boxes are taking over literally every game now. Remember Shadow of Mordor? That amazing game's sequel now has loot boxes - let me remind you that it's a singleplayer game. We'll probably see loot boxes in Telltale games soon :p

1. Kill Walker with bare hands...though he does seem bitey
    2. Let AJ Die
    3. Spend 1.99 on a basic scavenger box with a great chance to get a ball bat.
    4. Spend 4.99 on a reclaimed ARMY Weapons Locker with M16...4 clips of ammo and a 9MM hand gun and no chance of getting bitten.

Those two new patents they requested are pretty... shady. Loot boxes are taking over literally every game now. Remember Shadow of Mordor? Th

• Games will never be art in the same way film, novels, music, or paintings are. Roger Ebert was absolutely correct about that, and I'm someone who enjoys games.

Dismiss it all you want, but it's an objective truth.

• Dismissed

Games will never be art in the same way film, novels, music, or paintings are. Roger Ebert was absolutely correct about that, and I'm someone who enjoys games. Dismiss it all you want, but it's an objective truth.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.