Am I the only one who didn't care about John's friendship?

Since the start I always saw him as an unstable creepy guy, who was just a mean to an end. I used him and I didn't hesitate telling him that I wish we'd never met when I got the chance. I still love the character, but I don't think Bruce would get so attached to some weirdo that belongs in Arkham.

Comments

• KaelthasKaelthas Banned
    edited March 2018

You're not the only one, is just that John fans are... very vocal, so of course you would feel like the only one.

Kinda creepy if you ask me, I hope they just love him because he is a fictional character and they don't really swoon over real psychopaths who blow up bridges and murder people, is like they forgive everything he does because he made a joke about Gordon's moustache.

• edited March 2018

I know where you're coming from because at first I felt the same way about John. He really pissed me off when he showed up at Lucius' funeral and it felt like he was messing with me. But he grew on me after a couple incidents made me truly feel like we were becoming friends:

• He defended me to the bartender when I took down Willy. Felt like two friends getting into a classic bar fight.
    • He messed with the EMP so Bane wouldn't kill me. I later told him that I owe him my life.
    • He didn't tell Harley that i wanted her laptop. Then we had a coffee date where he asked for advice and I pretended to be Harley, which was hilarious.
    • He tried saving me from Harley when she was interrogating me about the mole situation, and then he spoke up and tried to get her to spare me when she put me in the ice box.
    • Saved Batman from Bane.

He really ended up growing on me, we came a long way since s1 and the beginning of s2. I feel like I understand him much more than him just being an unstable creepy guy. He values trust and respect and is ultimately really lonely and misguided.

• I can see what you're saying and I'm sure you're not the only one who didn't care about John. The reason I did though is not because I thought he was a genuinely great guy (obviously) but because I saw that there was some hope in him that Bruce might be able to bring him back from the edge. My Batman doesn't just save innocent people, he tries to save everyone, and that includes psychopaths like John Doe.

• At least for me, I didn't love John because he did these things, I loved John because he seemed like he could be brought back. Whenever he did go too far to the edge, I was always devastated, because I was trying as hard as I could to prevent that.

Kaelthas posted: »

You're not the only one, is just that John fans are... very vocal, so of course you would feel like the only one. Kinda creepy if you ask

• I love John.. I had hoped I could save him and still think I can.. hence why I visited him at Arkham. He came across to me as innocent, mentally screwed up but innocent

And no.. I'm not some lover of psychopaths in real life!

• edited March 2018

I never loved John. To me he was a unstable guy who should had stayed in Arkham asylum.

• You monsters

I mean, I guess I can see where most of you are coming from, logically, but emotionally I just don't understand it, if that makes sense.

• I liked him and considered him a friend because I can relate to him. I don’t kill people, but I can relate to his mood swings and other psychological issues.

• I didn't like him in Season One at all. I was suspicious of his timing saving me from those two inmates at Arkham. I didn't go along with his plans to get me out, and I made no promises. When Avesta mentioned him possibly contacting me, I was leery and put off.

Then I was reintroduced to what seemed to me at least to be an entirely different character. Like others have said, he grew on me a little bit, and a part of me wondered what if I really could rescue him from Harley's manipulations? Roles reversed, I would have also tried to rescue Harley Quinn from an abusive Joker.

During the course of the game, I spent more time with him in a 'non-work' related capacity than really anyone else I was given. I wanted John to get some help - not be controlled by either Harley nor Waller, but receiving treatment. Perhaps with that, Batman could give him some direction, and they could work together. It's not like he'd be the only hero with mental issues in existence.

• edited March 2018

John Grew on me too. During the vigilante play through whilst getting patched up, I thought it was funny that whilst he conversed with Bruce and said that he would have considered putting a hint of the virus into Wallers Shampoo or her perfume in order to kill her and then stating that he is technically returning her the virus.

I wish there was an option to say "sounds like a plan" but obviously Alfred who is listening would not approve of that haha. Too bad that Bruce did not approve of John's method of lethal Force. I also wish there was the option of letting the bombs he rolled towards his enemy's on the roof going off without you trying to stop them.

• That wouldn't be a very Batman thing to do.

speedkicks posted: »

John Grew on me too. During the vigilante play through whilst getting patched up, I thought it was funny that whilst he conversed with Bruce

• Thats true. Although I did understand why Joker wanted Waller dead as he found out through Bane that she wanted to put the blame on him for Riddlers death.

His reaction showed that he was telling the truth that he had no involvement. So thinking back to the Funhouse, I actually believe that he killed the agents out of self-defense even though the method in which he did it was the one thing he lied about through omission IMO.

DOBLEDEDO posted: »

That wouldn't be a very Batman thing to do.

This discussion has been closed.