Replayed season one, my thoughts..

I don't intend for this to be a "Let's hate on seasons 2/3" thread at all, to clear that up. I just simply wish to share my opinion.

When I first played season one, I was 14.

I'm now almost 20 and just replayed season one, and god. I now understand where everyone's thoughts are coming from with the declining quality, and I really hope Telltale delivers an amazing final season. But after replaying it, season one has become my favorite season again. I felt such great satisfaction playing it.

Especially Around Every Corner because that episode is fucking great.

Tagged:

Comments

• It's been six years already? Holy shit o_O

• I started replaying season 1 today, and I have to say that I agree with you. Going to back to experience Lee's journey all over again does make you notice the glaring flaws with the later seasons. But, I'm still hopeful that Telltale will give us an amazing last season. :)

• edited April 2018

I hate going back to season 1 due to the trite shooting segments and really bad puzzles, but rewarded with excellent hub and character exploration we don't see as much as anymore, so I still think its excellent I just prefer how later telltale series handled the pacing and story beats.

• edited April 2018

Yup, I first played this game right after I turned 13. I'm 18 now about to turn 19 next week and I just replayed Season One. Man, was Season One something else. I might hold an unpopular opinion by thinking that some endings of Season 2 are better than Season 1, but Season 1 is just so much better than the other two on nearly every level. But its funny because I'm in school for programming now and some of the questions I asked back in 2012/2013 just make me cringe because they were really dumb technical questions lol. I also actually just made a thread for the first time in years about Season 1 Plot Holes: https://telltale.com/community/discussion/119547/season-1-plot-holes-in-every-episode#latest

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited April 2018

I'm still of the opinion that S1 was simply... too good. That it set the bar too high for the rest of the seasons to reliably follow. Now, that's not to say it would have been impossible to beat S1, but the people working on the game after S1 certainly had their work cut out for them, to say the least. Some things just end up being way better than anyone anticipates; even the developers themselves.

I won't deny that there is a quality drop after S1, but I guess my feelings differ in that I feel like that's less of the later seasons being lower quality overall (well okay, ANF is very debatable, but I'd rather not kick that hornet's nest right now), and more of S1 being way above Telltale's average quality. You get what I'm saying here?

• I still argue Tales surpassed season 1 of walking dead in every imaginable way, and was incredibly critically well received, but since its a comedy first it don't count smh.

Deltino posted: »

I'm still of the opinion that S1 was simply... too good. That it set the bar too high for the rest of the seasons to reliably follow. Now, t

• Eh, I think the animations were a bit better but the story wasn't as good.

I still argue Tales surpassed season 1 of walking dead in every imaginable way, and was incredibly critically well received, but since its a comedy first it don't count smh.

I was mainly referring to TWD series in particular, but outside of that, I can also personally agree with Tales being just as good-- if not better-- than TWD S1.

But even with that in mind, nothing in Telltale's history ever reached the sheer popularity and acclaim that TWD S1 did. It was pure lightning in a bottle. Even Tales, for all the positive reception, didn't make as much of an impact as S1. 90 game of the year awards, millions upon millions of copies sold, and so on. That's something no other game of theirs has really come close to, before or after. Ergo, I'd say that S1 was pretty high above Telltale's average quality line (with all due respect to Telltale when I say that). It was more or less an exception to the rule, if you ask me.

I still argue Tales surpassed season 1 of walking dead in every imaginable way, and was incredibly critically well received, but since its a comedy first it don't count smh.

• As frustrating as that is to hear. You right.

Deltino posted: »

I was mainly referring to TWD series in particular, but outside of that, I can also personally agree with Tales being just as good-- if not

Oh believe me, it's something I've found frustrating too. But unfortunately, it's one of those things you can't really deny. Just like you can't deny gravity. Like shit man, it's just there.

As frustrating as that is to hear. You right.

• Season 1 was good, but I like season 2 better for one reason. I was spoiled on a lot of things in season 1, including Lee's death, because I had no intention of getting season 1. However, my mom got me season 1 for Christmas in 2012 and I still enjoyed it, but not as much as other people since I knew a lot of things and didn't feel the same emotions as others had. Season 2, however, I felt the emotion because I wasn't spoiled on anything. Y'all get what I'm saying?

• I find myself replaying S1 and 2 once every two or three months. I tend to rewatch/replay many of my favorite movies, tv shows, and games more then the average person though.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.