ANF Flashbacks and their Effects

edited April 2018 in The Walking Dead

One major element that made A New Frontier distinguished from other Seasons and Installments is the frequent flashbacks for both Javier and Clementine. This sequences happened at key points at the beginning and towards the latter portion of the episodes to explain relevant information and themes for what the characters are dealing with in the corresponding episodes.

What did you think of these sequences?
Did you enjoy any of them?
What kind of noteworthy choices and messages did you get out of them?
What are some flashbacks you can imagine that would've been nice and/or helpful had they been in the game?

Comments

• Back in ties that bind part 2 Clementine's past with the new frontier and how she had been separated from AJ sounded very interesting. I would have loved it if her flahbacks were an equal part of the story. I wish that Clem's past with the New Frontier had been more relevant. Unfortunately it became nothing more than a small background detail.

• Yeah, the disconnect regarding exactly how long she spent with them meant there was a lot of room for them to expand on it, but like many things around her, it's ended up being just kinda there.

Veeeee posted: »

Back in ties that bind part 2 Clementine's past with the new frontier and how she had been separated from AJ sounded very interesting. I wou

• Wasn't really a big fan, they all felt pretty rushed, seemingly only existing because we were so disconnected from the characters pasts, but they also wanted the flashbacks to serve as motivations for the current episode. It was sort of like watching a bootleg Arrow.

• My favorite part of any of the flashbacks is when we got to tell Kenny we love him.

• they also wanted the flashbacks to serve as motivations for the current episode

Which makes Part 2's flashback pretty odd, when you think about it.

Wasn't really a big fan, they all felt pretty rushed, seemingly only existing because we were so disconnected from the characters pasts, but

• Definitely one of the most heart warming scenes for the walking dead games. Though I wished Lee and Clementine had a similar scene to Kenny's second ANF flashback. The Lee one from season two wasn't as good and made less sense.

AnimalBoy posted: »

My favorite part of any of the flashbacks is when we got to tell Kenny we love him.

• edited April 2018

I wish Lee and Clementine had that [type of] flashback instead of Kenny.

Ladariel posted: »

Definitely one of the most heart warming scenes for the walking dead games. Though I wished Lee and Clementine had a similar scene to Kenny's second ANF flashback. The Lee one from season two wasn't as good and made less sense.

• edited April 2018

Not me. Clementine got to spend more time with Kenny than she did Lee if you chose the Kenny path. It’s natural that she would have had the time to develop friendly/fatherly love for Kenny that she didn’t necessarily have the time to develop for Lee. Not undervaluing Lee or his importantance though.

DabigRG posted: »

• They could do something for the final season. I'm sure they likely will anyway since it's the last season for Clementine and it would be incomplete without a Lee flashback.

DabigRG posted: »

• Its debatable who she had the strongest love for which probably ought to be her real parents who turned into zombies. When you look at how long she was with Omid and Christa she still told Christa that she missed Lee and wished Omid was still there. Assuming Clem sided with Kenny instead of Jane I want to say she views both men as like a father and uncle figure. Lee and Kenny respectively.

AnimalBoy posted: »

Not me. Clementine got to spend more time with Kenny than she did Lee if you chose the Kenny path. It’s natural that she would have had the

• Agreed.

Its debatable who she had the strongest love for which probably ought to be her real parents who turned into zombies. When you look at how l

• I personally think each episode should’ve had a nicely placed determinant flashback based of your season 2 endings that would relate to the episode. And instead of giving the Kenny/Jane/Wellington death flashback right away in ep 1, make it ambiguous and wait until ep5 and then show what actually happened (therefore having a build up and making it more impactful) and make Kenny/Jane’s death and Wellington’s fall more meaningful and less cheap.

• besides a few with Javier near the end of the season the rest of the flashbacks were completely pointless and poorly made. Clementine's flashbacks were entirely forced inclusion for playability not to mention how poorly written and designed they were.

• edited April 2018

I feel it’s really up to the player to decide who they want Clementine to feel closest to. For me it’s Kenny. For others it might be Lee or Omid. Whatever the player wants. I’ve always viewed Kenny as a fathe figure from season 2 onward.

Its debatable who she had the strongest love for which probably ought to be her real parents who turned into zombies. When you look at how l

• edited April 2018

Its debatable who she had the strongest love for which probably ought to be her real parents who turned into zombies.

Very true.
    Need some stuff to ground things and make TFS feel like The Final Season of the story.

They could do something for the final season. I'm sure they likely will anyway since it's the last season for Clementine and it would be incomplete without a Lee flashback.

• I'm really not one for discouraging discussion/tangents, but if we can keep the "Kenny is Important" stuff to a relevant minimum going forward, that'd be finger lickin good.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.