So...has it been worth it?

Regardless of how much real word time that involves(although that may certainly help), do you feel like your investment with this [game] series has really been worth it all? Did you ever feel that way or otherwise in the past? If no, what are some reasons why?

Comments

• I'm not at all sure what you're asking but I will say that I am far more invested in the outcome of Clementine's story than I have been in any other character in my history of playing games.

• I have been following this game for many years due to how much I love the story. And as ridiculous as this may sound but the choice based narrative, character relationships and the story has played a crucial role in my life. It made me acknowledge the strength of my choices and how much they matter (No need to reply to this and say that the choices don't matter because they matter to me) and how one singular choice can determine relationships. The game has also shaped my moral beliefs which I think was highly beneficial as I am a lot more sympathetic and caring towards characters in the games and the people that I meet in my life.

I absolutely love Clementine and her story. In my opinion it is by far the most superior story in a Game Series of All Time. I am aware that sounds weird but I owe a lot to Clementine's story due to how much it has helped me as a person.

So yes I feel that it has been worth it :smile:

• Up to this point, yes.

Preparing Clem for the future challenges she will face, and then directly determining how she reacts to these challenges later was an amazing experience. ANF kinda puts a giant dent in the purpose of this series, but playing as Clem in the finale should allow us to finish what we started.
    If Clem dies in the final season though, I'm not sure it would be worth it in the end. What would the point of the games be if Lee, Kenny, Luke, Jane, etc. all died for Clem only for her to die? And I don't think AJ being alive at the end would make it worth it either. (Unless Telltale can convince me otherwise. Hint, Hint....)

So, basically, tentatively yes, but a TON is riding on this final season.

• After ANF not really. The series has just kinda dwindled down over time.

• It all depends on how they finish her story,i've had a very good time with season 1 and 2,but lost a lot of interest in this series after A New Frontier,so i hope they can at least give her a proper send off.

• Honest answer ..NO,the game had me hooked since season one,but EVERYTHING since has been a letdown,S2 had glimpses of what might of been like all the other releases but it just makes me appreciate season one more,i should of stopped at the end of S1 but wanted more,S2 was the last game i bought from TT ,just watch playthroughs on Youtube of the newer games.and the Clem i knew is not this current Clem

• Not anymore, like many I was really into it until ANF, it just kinda pulled me out

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

I've been back and forth about it, and there's been times where I've asked myself this same question. But overall? I'd say it has. This series has certainly had its low points, and there's been moments where I started to lose my faith, but at the end of the day, the good times/memories I've had with it still outweigh the bad. But I know that's not the case for everybody.

• It’s been worth it for me since season 1

• edited May 2018

Since 2012 till 2016 I was excited everytime tt talks or makes a twd game because their stories was so good but after ANF I'm just here(not as excited as I was back then)to find the end game of clementine.

• edited May 2018

I've signed onto this forum since back in March 2013, and while I still enjoy visiting every now and then, my attachment to Telltale has declined since after Season 2 of TWD.

I've enjoyed The Wolf Among Us, TWD S1, and 400 Days, as well as the first half of TWD S2, but afterwards I've started to notice the flaws and repetitiveness of the game engine that still hasn't evolved into a newer system, and the direction that TWD has taken at the second half of Season 2 and beyond doesn't really please me at all.

Nevertheless I'll still stick around to The Final Season and see what it has to offer, but I doubt it will recapture the magic that had me captivated in The Walking Dead universe five years ago.

Of course, before I forget, I am grateful to have met and spoke to a few posters and moderators on this forum. Battling with social anxiety hasn't been easy in the past few years, but this community has helped me in a lot of ways outside TWD and other Telltale games.

• Hell yeah it was worth it, all the joy they gave me and the memories

• It started off that way, but starting from the end of A House Divided, I'd been pulled away from the series more as time went on. I had good laughs, good cries, and a lot of speculation, but then the series focused on "action" and Darwinian elitism instead of gameplay and engaging characters/stories/aesthetics, but it did help me get to other good-to-great Telltale series (and did inspire Life is Strange, which I also like), so I guess it depends on how the Final Season turns out. Clementine will always stick with me, though, even if she ends up leaving me sour after this is over.

• Had you asked me after season one I would say yes. But midway through season 2 I just started to not care anymore as the season went downhill in episode 4 and 5. ANF had me going till after episode 1 where it all went downhill again. Havnt even finished ANF just watched the end on YouTube instead. Might just watch the final season on YouTube instead

• YES!!! Although s3 wasn’t my favorite I still love the series. It has helped me through personal life struggles.

• Yes, it has.

• No. 400 days later the game died. Became a zombie. Slow, pathetic, decaying, smelly cadaver, even wee girl can defeat without a problem.

• ANF was definitely a low point, and S2 had a tendency to go completely off the rails at points, but I don't know that I'm ready to say I regret getting into the series even if dislike where it's gone. The first two games had too many high points to for me to say that. Depending on the final game, I may regret not stopping at the end of S2, but I don't think I'll regret experiencing S1 and 2.

• edited May 2018

Ultimately, I love this series. I am fascinated with Clementine’s story and the influence players have on it. Often it is only a small influence, but nevertheless it is an influence. I remember someone saying something along the lines about how these games are like a coloring book. You look at a picture that is overall the same but you are able to shade the details to your liking. I’m very invested in Clementine’s story as she grows up and evolves to the world of TWD. I do not remember being more attached to any other videogame character. Hopefully they give her a proper sendoff in this last season.

I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 start to finish. 400 days was terrible. The Michonne Miniseries was decent it was definitely rushed because it was only 3 episodes but considering it had only 3 episodes as opposed to 5 I thought they did a good job and there were a lot of good concepts going for it. I just would have liked to see them at a more fleshed out level. ANF was definitely a disappointment for me but I still found enjoyment in it, just nothing compared to the first two seasons. The problem with ANF is that Telltale was trying to do too much in a short span of time. They were working on three games at once and they were also trying to make ANF both a stand-alone story for newcomers whilst also continuing Clementine’s story which was a big mistake. That said, I don’t regret playing these games at all. I have really enjoyed the series as a whole and I am excited for the final season.

• To this day Telltale's The Walking Dead is the only game series that has been able to make me cry. I specifically seek out video games that can immerse me into the game world effectively enough to make me feel an emotional connection to the characters, and Season 1 and 2 absolutely nailed it in that regard. No matter how subpar the following titles in the franchise become, this series will always have a place in my heart for that reason.

• edited May 2018

I specifically seek out video games that can immerse me into the game world effectively enough to make me feel an emotional connection to the characters

So,that doesn't have anything to do with the thread but
    have you tried the Mass Effect Trilogy ? You should play it if that's what you like.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

To this day Telltale's The Walking Dead is the only game series that has been able to make me cry. I specifically seek out video games that

• Yeah I have, never finished the trilogy though. I liked it I just kinda lost interest in it for some reason. I feel like it's precursor Knight Of The Old Republic handled dialogue and morality options a lot better though, even if I wasn't a fan of the combat.

iFoRias posted: »

I specifically seek out video games that can immerse me into the game world effectively enough to make me feel an emotional connection to th

• edited May 2018

Yeah I have, never finished the trilogy though. I liked it I just kinda lost interest in it for some reason. I feel like it's precursor Knight Of The Old Republic handled dialogue and morality options a lot better though, even if I wasn't a fan of the combat.

How far did you get in the trilogy? I remember that Mass Effect 1 did get a little tedious at times and there wasn't as big of an emphasis on the development of the supporting characters but Mass Effect 2 and 3 really changed that. Choices also become a lot more complex as the series progresses and the side quests also became much more interesting. Bioware games have the best butterfly effect I have ever seen in choice based games. There are determinant characters who have a pretty big impact on the story if they survive in your playthrough. There are choices you make in Mass Effect 1 that have long term consequences that affect Mass Effect 3. Bioware put a lot of effort into the lore and history of that universe. If you did decide to get back into it I reccomend that you either read the codex or watch videos that explain the lore. I personally find it to be much more enjoyable when I understand the universe that the story takes place in. If you were looking for a game with a powerful narrative and well developed characters Mass Effect is a good one but of course things such as budget and time can get in the way and perhaps you simply aren't intrigued by these games and there is nothing wrong with that.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

Yeah I have, never finished the trilogy though. I liked it I just kinda lost interest in it for some reason. I feel like it's precursor Knig

• edited May 2018

Oh man, when Mordin died... I always cry on that one. Mordin was my bro but there's no way to save him unless you kill Wrex in ME1, which that in itself is even harder. Wrex is a bro, the original bro, and even playing as the hardest assed renegade ever, I can't bring myself to kill Wrex.

Veeeee posted: »

Yeah I have, never finished the trilogy though. I liked it I just kinda lost interest in it for some reason. I feel like it's precursor Knig

• edited May 2018

You should edit your comment and put that information under a spoiler tag for those who haven't played the game yet who want to. Just add >! I agree though.

(Spoiler)

• I think I got more than halfway through Mass Effect 2 before I stopped. I bought the whole trilogy for cheap and the games are still lying around somewhere along with my 360. I really enjoyed the first one despite it's tedium. The second one was good too I just didn't pick it up again for whatever reason. I'll see about dusting my Xbox off and finishing it, thank you guys for reminding me :smile:

Veeeee posted: »

• I would say obviously, I would have stopped playing if I wasnt having a good time

• They've ruined Clem's arc though as far as i'm concerned. There was a time i really cared about her but that died after Episode 5 of Season 2

I'm not at all sure what you're asking but I will say that I am far more invested in the outcome of Clementine's story than I have been in any other character in my history of playing games.

• sorry to hear about your social anxiety. I am glad this community has helped you in some way.

RichWalk23 posted: »

I've signed onto this forum since back in March 2013, and while I still enjoy visiting every now and then, my attachment to Telltale has dec

• I still like posting here from time to time but i am done buying Telltale's awful games anymore. I have said several times that for me Telltale started going downhill after Season 1 of The Walking Dead. Each game after it lacked the quality that game had and has only got worse. I stick with Naughty Dog these days and lately Quantic Dream certainly get me interested in what they are portraying. As @RichWalk23 said, Telltale have become repetitive and haven't done anything to change things or even go back to the ways of when their games actually were good pre-2013.

• I would say yes, because I have watched Clementine grown up. She's like a daughter to me and the game series was one of the reasons that got me out of my depression. Granted I was spoiled on a lot of things in season 1 before getting it, hence why I like S2 better, but it made me care about a fictional character that no other game has done before.

• Hell yeah! The first two seasons were fucking amazing. I have never been as emotionally invested in a video game before or since twd. The ending of Season 1 and the Wellington ending in Season 2 had me balling my fucking eyes out.

• I didn't actually read this when it was up, but I think now is as good a time as any to bring it back.

Goodnight everybody!

• Hell yeah it was, there were some really low points, but the highs were really high and in the end it was completely worth it. Well not that 10 bucks I tossed out the window.

• In TWDGS1? yes
    in TWAU? yes
    in TFTB? yes
    in everything else? no
    unless they release s4 of twdg which i did have a little faith in but..........everyones being vague so

• Guess now is as fitting a time to bump this again as any.

• Sign that the forum is dying when we have to bring back threads that havn't been posted on for over six months.

• I guess I don’t see it in terms of investment. In the sense that, if I’m enjoying something, great. If not, that sucks but it doesn’t make the parts I did enjoy mean less. While I felt The Walking Dead had its ups and downs, at no point did I find it a chore. I enjoyed it.

It’s funny because, for all the complaints about ANF and even TFS from some people, on my recent full series replay I realised that my own personal lowest point of the whole series is the ending to season 2. I still find that ending utterly stupid (no matter who you end up with or not). But it didn’t ruin my enjoyment of season 2 because most of it I loved. Loved might not be the right word - I find it the bleakest and most mean-spirited of all the seasons. It’s a strong experience.

So yeah, the fact that my own low point is all the way back in season 2 and I still enjoyed it all after that is a good sign, I think. I have loved the journey and they lost little over time when I revisited them (TFS worked even better for me on a replay actually). Lee’s journey is still the highlight and I imagine that’s the same for most but every season gave me something to enjoy.

• Easily worth it. Although, I did start playing these games in early 2017 so my situation is a bit different.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.