Stranger Things - A Telltale Series (WHAT IS THIS?!?)

Comments

• edited June 2018

Even though it is an interesting idea, I am not hyped for this at all. It could be really good or extremely mediocre.

• edited June 2018

What the fuck is "Stranger Things"
    Why dont they continue a season they already have like Batman and why dont they make games out of popular movies/series like the lord of the rings for example or something like that more popular title.

• does this mean no puzzle agent 3?

• Dismissed that it's dead? I would be VERY surprised at this point. Like announcing a new Sam & Max game level of surprised.

Ah yes, the "Super Show". We have dismissed that claim.

• edited June 2018

Wouldn't announcing something like a netflix series be the opposite of dead? I think that the concept isn't dead, and this is to test the waters to expand into that idea.

Johro posted: »

Dismissed that it's dead? I would be VERY surprised at this point. Like announcing a new Sam & Max game level of surprised.

Ah yes, the "Super Show". We have dismissed that claim.

• I haven’t watched the show.

What can we expect in terms of plot for a choice-based game about this?

• edited June 2018

Okay, my wording of it being due to this announcement is inappropriate. I've felt it dead for a while. The fact that it seemed like a bad idea to me when it was announced, made it a ticking time bomb anyway.

Putting click-through games on Netflix is a small step from what they were planning. Too high of cost for too little return. For a company that just tightened the reins to turn around and plan to push that project with what it would need to succeed(highest production cost to date/highest marketing cost to date)? I don't see it happening. Is that really the "next thing"? 3D to VR to... something we had in the 90's that died a quick death.

I'm really not intending to sound like I know everything or that TTG has one foot in the grave. I just REALLY don't see it happening.

(I'm going to step aside now as I'm sure the people whom are getting home want to talk about the actual announcement)

Wouldn't announcing something like a netflix series be the opposite of dead? I think that the concept isn't dead, and this is to test the waters to expand into that idea.

• edited June 2018

You know if telltale had stock it would be skyrocketing right now.

• InGen_Nate_KennyInGen_Nate_Kenny Moderator
    edited June 2018

Quoting Mass Effect, errr, just it's so dead, super dead, was already dead, now even more dead, yeah.

Maybe it isn't dead, but I think it is definitely dead. Although maybe with these Netflix deals it'll sort of live on in an alternate form. Probably not under the Super Show title though.

I'll be honest it was only for the Mass Effect reference. I had the urge.

Johro posted: »

Dismissed that it's dead? I would be VERY surprised at this point. Like announcing a new Sam & Max game level of surprised.

• does anyone know what it was even supposed to be?

Quoting Mass Effect, errr, just it's so dead, super dead, was already dead, now even more dead, yeah. Maybe it isn't dead, but I think it

• Sorry Telltale but I really don't want this. Feels like trend riding as opposed to a gaming opportunity that people need and are asking for. Plus where the hell is GoT s2?

• We knew some of the details about how it was supposed to work (choices made in the game would somehow affect the television show) but not what it was about or anything else since the announcement.

does anyone know what it was even supposed to be?

• Where’d you found this out?

Edit: not doubting just curious

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

GUYS The Stanger Things game was supposed to come out in AUTUMN (before it was delayed) Even if it comes out tomorrow, telltale spent at least an additional 8 months on the game

• HOLY FUCK!

I was certainly not expecting that. I've watched S1 of Stranger Things, absolutely loved it, but haven't found the time to start watching S2. Guess I have a reason now.

• It was in one of the first articles.

Umbassabro posted: »

Where’d you found this out? Edit: not doubting just curious

• edited June 2018

According to a source that spoke confidentially to TechRadar, Telltale is developing a new series set in the Stranger Things universe. The source mentioned that the game was eyed for launch alongside Season 2 of the hit Netflix show, but was postponed.

Umbassabro posted: »

Where’d you found this out? Edit: not doubting just curious

• They are on The Walking Dead The Final Season and The Wolf Among us Season 2 and now they are on Stranger Things.. Well TFTB will probs come out in 2020 because Borderlands 3 will probs come out in 2019 and Got I have like no idea when that is gonna come out. I just still hope Telltale does keep the quality up and don't go back to releasing telltale games so fast for quantity instead of quality.

• Minecraft Story Mode on Netflix wait... what?

Edit: The twitter reaction made me lol pretty hard.. everyone is as confused as I am.

• After the GOT final season comes out... hopefully...

BigGazMan posted: »

I wish It was GoT S2 but I guess this is nice

• edited June 2018

Not sure when MCSM Netflix interactice adventure will take place. I'm definitely gonna try it out when it releases and hope its good or decent.

• The stranger things deal happened before the lay offs so this will probably be the last time they do two projects side by side.

MiloMustard posted: »

They are on The Walking Dead The Final Season and The Wolf Among us Season 2 and now they are on Stranger Things.. Well TFTB will probs come

• I wonder what kind of role and how involved the Duffer Brothers (Stranger Things' creators) are going to have with this series. In TFTBL, Borderlands 2 writer Anthony Burch was heavily involved with the project, having writing credits on Episodes 3, 4, and 5. I wonder if they will write any episodes for the game?

• edited June 2018

I think they're going to go for a two games a year thing. This year would be Batman and Walking Dead, next year Wolf S2 and Stranger Things, and then the year after that GoT S2 (since the series is ending next year) and one unannounced thing.

MiloMustard posted: »

They are on The Walking Dead The Final Season and The Wolf Among us Season 2 and now they are on Stranger Things.. Well TFTB will probs come

• Oh yes. The original IP. Finally! Thanks a lot Telltale. Is Kathleen Kennedy your CEO now? Because I feel like a SW fan.

• 'Stranger Thing' is one of the most popular shows on TV right now where have you been? XD

Bruno113 posted: »

What the fuck is "Stranger Things" Why dont they continue a season they already have like Batman and why dont they make games out of popular movies/series like the lord of the rings for example or something like that more popular title.

• Hoping they keep this two games a year schedule going. Batman and The Walking Dead this year, Wolf Among Us and Stranger Things next year, hopefully Batman S3 and Tales S2 after that. I don't know how financially stable that is, but two games a year just feels like a good pace.

We had four freaking Telltale games in 2017...FOUR! That's just too much to remain interested and keep track of them all

• I don't know how financially stable that is

They survived on two games a year before, selling a lot less games than they currently do.
    They'll be okay.

Cdognkal2 posted: »

Hoping they keep this two games a year schedule going. Batman and The Walking Dead this year, Wolf Among Us and Stranger Things next year, h

• edited June 2018

BUT WHERE IS MY SUPER SHOW ORIGINAL IP??!

About this announcement... cool? I guess? It'll depend on what it's about and how good they are at making this thing connected to the show/using the world in interesting ways.

And... I guess this makes Bruner's wish of having Telltale games work in really obtuse places a reality. MCSM playable on Netflix, a streaming service. (I know Netflix already has some "choose your own adventure" experiences of their own since I've passed by a few thanks to the mighty algorithm, but they're all kids-based content and I haven't played any of them to know how it works.)

• edited June 2018

I think if Telltale succeeds on The Walking Dead 4, they'll have won the fans back. Most of the player base comes from that series.

Still, I have some faith.

And what's with everyone saying that this has been in development for a while? How do we know? Did I miss a leak?

Poogers555 posted: »

Again, different times. Telltale was making these games that people said they didnt want, but then when they came out and people played them

• edited June 2018

Yeah, try not to confuse that with "Stranger Things: The Game" on mobile.
    A top-down mini-rpg.

EDIT: Yeah, I just checked the position (Manager of Interactive Licensing) and it's all about video games, not specifically Telltale.
    The "Ex.: Stranger Things: The Game" they have written down has a link to the App on the ITunes store. So, it's safe to say that's not the title to the Telltale game.

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

Also a job listing on Netflix claims that it’s current title is “Stranger Things: The Game”

• All i wanna see is wolf among us s2 after that i don't give two shits and a fuck if they make a my little pony 8ep game of all the pony's queefing rainbows of sarin gas.

• Guys what if Stranger Things IS the Super Show, and they've been working with Telltale since the beginning? And the tv show just ended up airing a little while before the game? As far as I know the first season of Stranger Things came out after the announcement of super show.

• edited June 2018

I don't think so.
    Around the announcement of the Super Show, Telltale got endorsed or funded by Lionsgate (or something to that effect), but they said the recently announced Super Show would have no ties to that deal, and would be completely original.

Speaking of... Whatever happened to that partnership with Lionsgate? It seems they were going to work together on something, but nothing has come of it. Not even now, 3 years later.

Guys what if Stranger Things IS the Super Show, and they've been working with Telltale since the beginning? And the tv show just ended up ai

• edited June 2018

Am I only one who liked the first season of stranger things but felt the story was totally being stretched in season 2 just so they could do more seasons?

I thought the lionsgate partnership was the super hero show?

AChicken posted: »

I don't think so. Around the announcement of the Super Show, Telltale got endorsed or funded by Lionsgate (or something to that effect), bu

• Not sure how to feel about this. On one hand, I love Stranger Things but on the other hands I am wondering how this would work.

I hope this game will focus on an original group of characters in a whole different town. I’m pretty sure that there are other children like Eleven, it could be interesting to be playing as one of those experimented children/teenagers and developing bonds with other normal characters while dealing with Upside Down or those Goverment agents hunting them.

As long as they are being original (Like Walking Dead Season 1) and not reusing the characters in the show, we will be fine.

• I certainly approve! And I think the style of Stranger Things is right up Telltale's alley. Can't wait to see what they come up with. Personally hoping for original characters but set in the same universe.

• Cosmic_BoyCosmic_Boy Banned
    edited June 2018

I don't wanna say the hype for Stranger Things died down a little, but I don't think it's as big as it was when it first came out. But i'll keep an eye out for details about this game. I'm a little curious to see how they'll go about making it.

• edited June 2018

Okay, well just for the heck of it, I'll repost my thoughts in an orderly manner. I was tired last night and then suddenly hit with a wave of confusion and excitement with this.
    I've slept on it by now.

So, first of all:

I'm both excited and worried for this. I love Stranger Things. Really. I've also thought of what a Telltale-style game for it might be like. It would probably feature different characters than the ones we know, but would then expand the world of the show a lot more.
    Just think: we could discover more about the Hawkins lab or other similar government areas, maybe meet more Numbers. The 80s mystery sci-fi vibe is cool, and I'd love to see Telltale tackle it.

On the other hand, I'm not so happy about this. Mostly due to the timing of it. We've got two big fan-favourite sequels on the way. One isn't scheduled until next year (I think). We've also been hearing Telltale still open to the possibility of making an Original IP.
    It just feels really weird to announce this series when we were expecting something completely different, and on the opposite side of the "BIG name property" spectrum, as well as not even seeing this until later next year.
    So yeah. This is cool, but also... Really? Now? And with this big thing? Didn't work out too well last time.

Pete Hawley's been doing very well in turning things around since their struggles of last year, pushing Telltale to make some new and big improvements to their formula very recently. This might be a good thing (I just hope the Duffer Brothers are involved with it. They would know where to go, where to expand. The whole of Stranger Things came from their minds.)

Good thing: If this is a Netflix property we're dealing with, it could make Telltale's work a lot better, and easier in crafting the whole story. They could drop all the episodes at once. Meaning Telltale would have the time and the need to make the whole thing way beforehand, and doing so means that we'd probably get a more cohesive story without any weird loose ends or items forgotten from choice paths...

About this thing with MCSM... Cool?
    I don't think it's going to just be "The Game, but on Netflix". Just based on how the announcement was worded, I feel like it'll either be an original MCSM adventure made for Netflix, or a tweaked, edited version of S1's events.

"...The Idea of Minecraft Story Mode coming to @Netflix in the fall as an interactive adventure."

Uh...yeah. What else would it be? It's already that.

So, I think it's not the typical "S1 game, but played with a TV remote on your streaming app". (Because how would you do the QTEs??)
    It might be something a bit different, and I'm kind of excited to see what that is.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.