Any Movie on Your Mind (or Silver Screen)

edited July 2018 in General Chat

Hey local fish dwellers. Just seen a great movie and want to discuss it with someone but all your friends are either total assholes or just don't see merit in discussing a movie with you? Just remembered an old movie you saw as a kid and want to watch again, but can't for the life of you remember what it was called and want to find out? Feeling bored and just want to be a part of something and actually socialize with actual humans instead of being a loner and talking to them in person?

No...?

Never mind then. As you were.

Comments

• I'll start. I just recently watched Birdman...

Can a fan of the movie please explain it to me. Like... What?

• edited July 2018

If you're talking about the ending then.

It's up to your own interpretation. Either he gains the ability to fly and actually becomes the Birdman, or he committed suicide. The former makes more sense considering his daughters reaction but it doesn't really fit the world they live in. Also it's much less depressing than the latter.

Acheive250 posted: »

I'll start. I just recently watched Birdman... Can a fan of the movie please explain it to me. Like... What?

• edited July 2018

I just mean everything. His mind-powers (I think I understand that one tho), the constant appearances of Birdman, when he starts flying around the city towards the end... I was so lost at that point. And then the actual ending...

I get that the movie was more about individual messages and symbolism within scenes instead of it's larger narrative and message, but it just got really weird.

lupinb0y posted: »

If you're talking about the ending then. (Spoiler)

• I watched Napoleon Dynamite... like... what?

• It's pretty much all in his head. He's still clinging onto his fame as Birdman so he imagines himself in those scenarios. But yeah overall it is a fairly weird movie.

I just mean everything. His mind-powers (I think I understand that one tho), the constant appearances of Birdman, when he starts flying arou

• I love Napoleon Dynamite. It’s been a favorite of mine for years now, despite what my friend calls a “lack of humor and plain randomness”.

I watched Napoleon Dynamite... like... what?

• Hancock. What a great film. Always have fond memories of it. I mean, not perfect, but I really enjoyed it last time I saw it years ago.

• Mars Needs Moms was a good movie. I'll never forget how badly I wanted to see that movie. Also, any movie with FTL travel in space is good in my book.

• It's such an underrated superhero film. I know it's not perfect and just a parody of Superman but it was soo enjoyable.

Hancock. What a great film. Always have fond memories of it. I mean, not perfect, but I really enjoyed it last time I saw it years ago.

• edited July 2018

Dude, you've got a movie thread so there's no way you should pass up the opportunity to say "Any Movie on Your Mind (or Silver Screen)"?!??

Eh? Ehh?

• Damn it, chicken! You always find a way to improve everything I start.

I swear if we were to fuse together and become one person, we'd be unstoppable.

We'd be AChievecken.

AChicken posted: »

Dude, you've got a movie thread so there's no way you should pass up the opportunity to say "Any Movie on Your Mind (or Silver Screen)"?!?? Eh? Ehh?

• No problemo bro, and that fusion name sounds good.

Also, typo in the thread description, may want to edit that.:

what it was called and wane to find out?

Damn it, chicken! You always find a way to improve everything I start. I swear if we were to fuse together and become one person, we'd be unstoppable. We'd be AChievecken.

• See what I mean? Unstoppable.

No problemo bro, and that fusion name sounds good. Also, typo in the thread description, may want to edit that.: what it was called and wane to find out?

• We'd be AChievecken.

I ship it.

Damn it, chicken! You always find a way to improve everything I start. I swear if we were to fuse together and become one person, we'd be unstoppable. We'd be AChievecken.

• Not what I meant but I'll go with it, haha.

lupinb0y posted: »

We'd be AChievecken. I ship it.

• AChievecken

How do you pronounce that? :D

• nO wAy.

It's deadpan humor makes it unique. And it's not random; all the events happen for a reason.

The guy that got me to see it said that it gets better every time you watch it again. I've yet to test that theory as I've only watched it once.

In other words: if your friends didn't enjoy it the first time, tell them to watch it four more times to form a conclusive opinion!!! :D

I love Napoleon Dynamite. It’s been a favorite of mine for years now, despite what my friend calls a “lack of humor and plain randomness”.

• It does get better every time, I must agree with the guy who got you to see it and commend his taste in movies.

The humor is funny to me, it always has been, and it has some good songs in it.

I’ve seen it a number of times, but I once watched it during the exam day in my Algebra class when we all finished and I thought I loved it then, but some guy sat up front and quoted nearly the whole movie. While it sounds a bit obnoxious in writing, it was the best time I’ve ever had in that class and a memory I strongly associate with the movie for obvious reasons.

A new rule of thumb that I’ve picked up from that guy is that if you can’t quote iit all by heart, you haven’t seen it enough. That’s also a good way to watch Napoleon Dynamite 20 times.

nO wAy. It's deadpan humor makes it unique. And it's not random; all the events happen for a reason. The guy that got me to see it sai

• Achieve-ken

AChievecken How do you pronounce that?

• I only got to watch half of that movie.

I feel so incomplete.

I watched Napoleon Dynamite... like... what?

• Hey my fellow Film Unlockers (F.U.s for short) got a question for y'all.

What's a memory of something that happened outside of a movie that you associate with a particular movie or movie scene?

I'll be the first to answer: When I think of the previously discussed Neapolitan Dynamite, it is often followed by the memory of something that happened the night I watched it. Me, my girlfriend, and a few family members drove around the town like crazy people while making Neapolitan Dynamite references and laughing like maniacs. It was a good night.

Would my good F.U.s like to share any memories?

• Transformers: Age of Extinction as well as being a really terrible awful no good bad movie, is also associated with one of the worst viewing experiences I've ever had in a movie theatre. While watching it with my friend, to my left there was a guy laughing at everything that happened, to my friends right was a guy having a ten course meal (he'd bring out a different kind of food like every 15 minutes, and behind me were two kids who wouldn't shut up. This went on for the entire length of the movie which was three hours (including the initial 20 minutes of ads).

Hey my fellow Film Unlockers (F.U.s for short) got a question for y'all. What's a memory of something that happened outside of a movie th

• That sounds like an invitation to talk about the Rocky Horror Picture Show. For those not aware, it has kind of a cult following where people see it over and over again, usually at midnight. In some places, people dress up like the actors and re-enact the movie in front of the screen. There are also people in the crowd who anticipate the next movie line and yell out questions that the line will fit. I once went with a friend who was acting one of the parts. She wanted to paint a V on my face without explanation, but I wasn't sure about that, so I resisted a little. She got a guy actor to hold me still so she could do it.

Hey my fellow Film Unlockers (F.U.s for short) got a question for y'all. What's a memory of something that happened outside of a movie th

• What, the beginning or the actual question?

And thats pretty freaky. I'll just stick to acting out American Horror Story in real life, thanks.

WarpSpeed posted: »

That sounds like an invitation to talk about the Rocky Horror Picture Show. For those not aware, it has kind of a cult following where peop

• It was going good until the woman revealed her powers

Hancock. What a great film. Always have fond memories of it. I mean, not perfect, but I really enjoyed it last time I saw it years ago.

• edited July 2018

F.U. that's a great idea.

Oh wow, you explained that memory so well that it's like I can clearly see it!

"Oh no, I think we're lost! Siri, what do I do!?!"

• The sercet's out...

[Insert gif of Homer Simpson retreating into bush]

F.U. that's a great idea. Oh wow, you explained that memory so well that it's like I can clearly see it! "Oh no, I think we're lost! Siri, what do I do!?!"

• I rewatched Batman 1989 and Batman Returns. They are soooooo fuckin good!

• The sercet's out...

I'm not aware of any sercets...

The sercet's out... [Insert gif of Homer Simpson retreating into bush]

• edited July 2018

@Acheive250

I watched Birdman too and loved it. Here are my personal thoughts:

He's a failed actor and he can't endure it. Basically, the main character played a superhero and now it's like a curse upon him because he wants to do art but the audience demands something else. Nobody takes him seriously. Remember the scene when the city explodes and Birdman is whispering to him in the ear? He says something like "people want blood and shit".

So his play only becomes successful when he shoots himself in the head for real, in front of the whole audience. People mistake shock value for a powerful message of real art. In the end, he takes the truth and I think he metaphorically becomes Birdman, gives in under the pressure of his inner voice? He ascends, he's back on the top, he's the real hero. He knows the truth of cinematography. Or maybe, as Lupin said, he comitted a suicide. Could be both? Either way, he's free of anxiety and inner crisis, but you can't tell if it's good or bad.

I think Birdman is pretty much about how rotten and cheap modern cinematography and show business is. We see it through the mental struggles of the main character.

I'll start. I just recently watched Birdman... Can a fan of the movie please explain it to me. Like... What?

• Huh, thats a really good insight to it.

I guess I'm just not deep enough to get it...

@Acheive250 I watched Birdman too and loved it. Here are my personal thoughts: (Spoiler)

• I watched Get Out, it's such a good horror film.

• Now you have to see A Quiet Place.

Those two movies are really high up on my list of good horror movies. They're small, they're quite simple, but they're both so, so good... (and both movies were made by comedy actors!)

AronDracula posted: »

I watched Get Out, it's such a good horror film.

• The ending of Quiet Place kinda rubbed me the wrong way

I thought that the dad didn't have to die to save his children. That monster had super-hearing, he could've just taken a hand-full of sand and thrown it into the cornfield and the creature would've ran off. Also, the daughter .... she nearly got her whole family killed.

Now you have to see A Quiet Place. Those two movies are really high up on my list of good horror movies. They're small, they're quite simple, but they're both so, so good... (and both movies were made by comedy actors!)

• Did you see Hereditary? I haven't, because I'm realy afraid of horror movies lol, but I heard it's very good.

Now you have to see A Quiet Place. Those two movies are really high up on my list of good horror movies. They're small, they're quite simple, but they're both so, so good... (and both movies were made by comedy actors!)

• No Country for Old Men, Pulp Fiction and L.A. Confidential off the top of my head lol. I think you guys would like it. Perfect movies to watch at night.

• Person: "Have you seen X-men?"

Me: "No."

Person: "I've got it right here. I haven't seen it in ages, ay."

Me: "I don't really want to watch a movie right now because it's late and it'll be like 1AM when it's over."

Person: "I just want to show you the intro."

104 minutes later

Me: "...What time is it now?"

Person: "1:30AM"

Me: :|

Seriously though, I would've been pissed if I didn't like him. :D

Overall, I found the movie pretty enjoyable to watch. It wasn't super amazing; I can't find much to talk about. Wolverine reminded me a bit of Joel (from TLOU). He doesn't look exactly like Joel, though... I think it's the combination of a beard, dark hair and a general lack of trust and closeness with people. :D

• edited July 2018

Recently I watched a movie called My Friend Dahmer, which is based on a graphic novel drawn by Jeffrey Dahmer’s high school friend. This is an indie movie so don’t expect much from it, especially because it doesn’t show any murder - it’s more psychological and shows the development of Jeffrey’s destructive behavior. However, there are a few chilling moments, the 70s atmosphere is spot on and Ross Lynch, who plays the main role, is absolutely amazing. He gives a very impressive performance for such a tough role.

But what I wanted to talk about is how sad this movie made me feel. Basically, it shows us how Jeffrey tried to fit into society by playing the role of a funny freak. Urged by us new friends, Dahmer pretends to have spazzing in front of entire school, does inappropriate acts and plays dumb. He thinks people laugh at this, but in fact, they laugh at him. He becomes the dummy, the scapegoat. It’s his way of fitting into reality.

And this made me remember Sasha, the guy who studied in my class for two years. He had a pretty tragic background - his mom died shortly before thi, and the rumors said he lived apart from his dad, basically alone, although he had older siblings. Sasha was odd. At first, he just kept silent and awkward all the time. There was something... very unpleasant, perhaps even unnatural about his behavior. However, sooner he embraced the role of the class freak. He didn’t fake spazzing, but he’d constantly make funny or annoying noises in class, move his hands in a weird and abrupt way, act like he’s palsy. Our boys liked it very much and started to repeat after him, laugh, incite Sasha. Teachers were clearly pissed. I acted neutral towards him, but tried to stay away mainly, because if Sasha was either weird or annoying. Occasionally he did something real funny. Or he could laugh so hard at himself he’d feel sick.

After two years though, he was kicked out from school, because he barely studied and sabotaged other students. I know nothing of his life and I frankly don’t care, I think he’s in college now.

This movie made me think about him for the first time in ages and I felt very downtrodden. I realized how traumatized Sasha was and how he tried to gain our attention and praise in the inky way he could. This is just... sad.

I hope he doesn’t become a serial killer in the future, like Jeffrey Dahmer, but I feel like he has no future at all.

• I just watched Eighth Grade tonight. (it's that coming of age movie by Bo Burnham.)

Basically, it was a great movie experience. I say experience because it all felt so real. It was very relatable for me.

The movie centers around an eighth grader (surprise, surprise!) named Kayla. She's shy, she's awkward. It goes through the events of her last week of school, and showcases all the typical goings-on of a teen of today.
    The script or the writing is extremely well done. I don't know what they did, but it feels like they just took a camera and started rolling, no strings attached. Due to whatever black magic they used, it captures almost every awkward moment and it's terrifyingly accurate. This film loves to dump buckets of teen culture cringe and awkward stuff at you, but it doesn't really do it for laughs, it does it because that stuff happens. (prepare your ears to hear the most amount of "like" and "you know"s in the first 3 minutes you'll ever hear in your life)

Eh, I think I'm rambling at this point so I'll leave it at this: this was a great movie. If you want to experience (or re-experience) some form of a Gen-Z's life, then this movie should be a great fit.

Also, I want to commend the Sound Mixing/Editing department on their work (and probably Bo as he's in charge of the movie) because the way they use music in this is amazing.
    These spatial, surrounding, often blaring pieces of music are great at diverting attention (so that they can sneak in some "what was that?" muffled speech for the MC) and provide an interesting beat for a scene.

Favourite scene: that McDonald's chicken nuggets dinner near the end of the movie. That was the most adorably awkward and relatable thing I've ever seen in my life.
    Here's a fun fact: Despite this movie representing Eighth graders/middle schoolers, they can't go see it. The movie is rated R. Why? Well, there's more than one f-bomb dropped (oh no!) and scene about Kayla talking about explicit sexual content and trying to educate herself on the matter (oh god it's relatability!). I think grade 8ers can handle it. From what I remember of my gr8-12 high school days, this movie should be no problem. This generation is used to that. Well, I was kinda forced to get used to that.

• Ooooh new Glass trailer.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.