Favourite quotes from Ep1: Culture Shock

2»

Comments

• edited November 2006
    tabacco wrote: »
    That's news to me, and I've spoken English all my life. It's a reference to either Monkey Island or our intern Deirdra (whose username is Squinky), depending on which one you think Dave and Brendan were thinking of at the time.

Well, color me embarrassed.

I would maintain it's funnier my way.
  • VogVog
    edited November 2006
    ScribbleJ wrote: »
    This game must seem very different to someone who is not a native english speaker -- would you mind sharing some of your experiences?

Well, it's all a question of your vocabulary :D . Sometimes there could be a sentence which you don't understand completely but you could guess what it means. A disadvantage is that you couldn't understand words which have no translation or slang because you simply never learn such words. Before I played Sam & Max I didn't know what a soda jerk is... a jerk yes... but soda jerk. But there are also some jokes which would never work in my language (german) like the one with "not'chos" there is even nothign similar which would work with this word. So, the dialog there would be just nonsense.
    Finally it's very interesting to play games in another language. ;)
  • edited November 2006
    Vog wrote: »
    Anybody could explan these jokes for me? English is not my native language so I do not understand these:

Sam: "Why'd you stop giving tattos?"
    Sybil: "A guy came in here and asked me to put a ship on his chest, and I misheard him and... Well, I decided to hang it up after that."

Sybil makes a veiled reference to the word "shit", I think.
    Seems like she tattoed that one instead of the ship:D
  • edited November 2006
    That's news to me, and I've spoken English all my life. It's a reference to either Monkey Island or our intern Deirdra (whose username is Squinky), depending on which one you think Dave and Brendan were thinking of at the time.

Indeed, "just call me Squinky" was a very random (but hilarious) line from Monkey Island 1. I guess we now know who was responsible for that joke, and the "second biggest" lines from MI, too!
  • edited November 2006
    Great thundering jellyfish on the squishy road to mayhem Max!
  • edited November 2006
    Just you, me, and the authority from 7 states :)
  • edited November 2006
    But those were quieter times...
  • edited November 2006
    Sam: Who do you think was on the phone?
    Max: Ooh! Maybe it was the Governer calling about my plan to secede from the union

Brilliant.
  • edited November 2006
    I liked that symbolistic thing Sam says after Max 'explains' why Dentists loved the Soda Poppers!
    I think it was something like... "Oh Max, your unbridled sarcasm is like a well-deserved gust of fresh air on a crowded highway." or something like that...

Also...
    Sam: Mustard, Ketchup and... strange purple stuff.
    Max: As vaguely referred to on TV!

And let's not forget...
    *looks at bent parking meter*
    Sam: Remember our old car, Max?
    Max: I said I was sorry!

And...
    Max: Hey Sam, since you're crazy, can I drive?
    Sam: Jumping vehicular homicide, no!
  • edited November 2006
    Oh Max, your unbridled CYNICISM is like a BREATH of fresh air IN a crowded SUBWAY.
  • edited November 2006
    YES! That one! I only saw it once, and it passed by so fast... ^^'

Also, for some reason, Mr. Spatula makes me laugh. I don't really get why...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.