Should Telltale Make a Morgan LeFlay Game?

I've seen a few people asking and wishing for a Morgan LeFlay spin-off game and I was all for the idea! If Telltale were to release a Morgan LeFlay, I think it should be a little like this:

- An adventure/action game. 85% point-and-click adventure game; 15% action (mainly swordfighting).

- A five episode season, each episode is a new mission where Morgan must track down a different pirate each time.

- Morgan should re-visit old Monkey Island locations and Islands such as Booty or Scabb Island and run into SOME old characters.

- The last episode should be of Morgan hunting down Guybrush and should end in exactly the same spot as Launch of the Screaming Narwhal with Morgan putting her blade to Guybrush's throat!

So, should Telltale make a Morgan LeFlay game? How would your ideal Morgan game differ from mine? Will it sell well? Opinions?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    I voted yes, but I don't really like your idea for the spin-off. I'd prefer to see her further adventures. I've never been a fan of prequels in any form.
  • edited September 2009
    I voted no, but in no way am I "sick of her already" - I just don't like the idea of any kind of Monkey Island spin-off. I think you should change the options in your poll to just yes and no.
  • edited September 2009
    No. Please god no. Morgan Leflay is a mediocre character at best. Amusing in the game but certainly not good enough for her own game.
  • edited September 2009
    Fealiks wrote: »
    I voted no, but in no way am I "sick of her already" - I just don't like the idea of any kind of Monkey Island spin-off. I think you should change the options in your poll to just yes and no.

Okay, I will do so : )

EDIT: I don't actually think I can, sorry...
  • edited September 2009
    Asgath wrote: »
    No. Please god no. Morgan Leflay is a mediocre character at best. Amusing in the game but certainly not good enough for her own game.

MEDIOCRE?! spongebob-crying.jpg
    Okay, I will do so : )

EDIT: I don't actually think I can, sorry...

It's cool, dawg.
  • edited September 2009
    A pretty even spread of votes right now. It is possible that telltale may want to revisit this idea, but I see that new telltale titles are being revealed soon.

In Lair of the Leviathan we will have the opportunity to see more of her and I hope: have the chance to play as her in order to solve some puzzles. Then fans can make up their minds about this. As of yet we still don't know much about her. Five episodes may be too much to ask for though, I don't see her being as successful as Guybrush, who has four games behind him.

I do like the idea of intertwining story lines. Hercules-Xena/Buffy-Angel style. Where Morgan is always one step behind Guybrush and always just misses him. And maybe runs into characters that Guybrush has wronged. But this would only be for in-jokes or to connect story lines between the Monkey Island games.

If you are going to give Morgan her own game, give her her own adventures to build her reputation with, in an attempt to keep up with Guybrush. Like how Morgan became a feared pirate hunter, how she uses the sword so well, etc. Do not necessarily show events from Monkey Island games, but hint at or lead up to, and the Player will tie it together themselves. For instance the grappling hook that will become Guybrush's hook hand, can be seen.

The prequel is a nice idea, but lets keep other options open in the meantime and maybe telltale will like these ideas.
  • edited September 2009
    I think she's annoying simply put. I mean, I guess it would be fine as long as it didn't interfere with future MI releases, but its definitely something I wouldn't look into.
  • edited September 2009
    She's probably the best new character of the series so far, or close... but does she need her own game? Not so sure about that! :)
  • edited September 2009
    A Morgan LeFlay game would probably be like the Torchwood of the Monkey Island series. Not as entertaining, but still entertaining enough.
  • edited September 2009
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    A Morgan LeFlay game would probably be like the Torchwood of the Monkey Island series. Not as entertaining, but still entertaining enough.

And aimed at a more... adult audience. *suggestive eyebrow wiggle*
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I voted neither.

I like Morgan; she participated in the best scene of the episodes yet, and I will love to see her again in future episodes. As of now, she is pretty much a stereotype, but that is played out really nicely. Her character might gain new aspects, making her more rounded, and, of course, she may undergo character changes (one at least, as we all hope). Nonetheless, this is not enough to have her star in her own game, even if I did not think that female characters are not one of TTG's strong points.

Recently, I've played the (German) adventure "Book of Unwritten Tales". There's one character named "das Vieh" (meaning "the critter" or "the creature"). It is a pink-furred something with big eyes and a mouth bigger than Guybrush's pockets. It communicates through incredibly funny gestures and a language none of the other characters understand. There was one scene, about 15 minutes in the game, where you could control it, and that was definitly the most wonderful part in this really good game. Now, the developers have announced that their next game will center entirely on that character - and I definitly won't buy it. Some characters are best in small doses.

Morgan LeFlay is probably one of these characters. ;)
  • edited September 2009
    Fealiks wrote: »
    And aimed at a more... adult audience. *suggestive eyebrow wiggle*

Yeah, I'm still waiting for the day that people start making Morgan LeFlay x Elaine Marley rule34. Normally they get onto it in a few hours or so.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm somehow not surprised that the cleavagey character is the breakout hit of the series so far even though she has, what, three minutes of screen time? :p
  • edited September 2009
    Morgan has the best boobs out of any Monkey Island character.

...beyond that I do not see any super appealing qualities to Morgan.

I found her to be an utter dissapointment after a lead up to "Surprise - Old Character!" Her personality is OK and even at some points grating - "you're the guy who did this and this!"

Honestly I think game centered around Elaine would be much (much) better if you wanted to go that route. Of course, van Winslow went from being boring to funny in one episode so I guess Morgan could be interesting but she's overhyped from her singular apperance.
  • edited September 2009
    she's overhyped from her singular apperance.

HERETIC!!!! BURN HIM!!!! HOW DARE YOU!!!
    She appeared three times :p
    :)

But seriously. The last thing I ever want is a Monkey Island spin-off. And also I don't want to play as any other character in ToMI, only as Guybrush (just like in every other Monkey Island game).
  • edited September 2009
    Monkey Island Spinoff = FAIL
  • edited September 2009
    I enjoyed the character, but I don't see why we'd need a spin-off game in general, let alone one about her.

Like others have said, focusing a game on Elaines adventures would be far more interesting to see, although it would be nice to see some of these newer characters fleshed out a bit more.. I'm sure that's something that will happen with the later episodes.
  • edited September 2009
    Having a whole season of Morgan's adventures? Naah. But I'm willing to buy a MI game that introduces a different protagonist every episode. Each episode as a piece of a puzzle that kind of combines into a big story. I'd like that. I love Guybrush, but it would be an interesting experience to play as Morgan, Elaine or LeChuck.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm not sick of her, as it says in the poll, but I don't think she should get her own games.
  • edited September 2009
    I hate her.. So anoying..
  • edited September 2009
    Recently, I've played the (German) adventure "Book of Unwritten Tales". There's one character named "das Vieh" (meaning "the critter" or "the creature"). It is a pink-furred something with big eyes and a mouth bigger than Guybrush's pockets. It communicates through incredibly funny gestures and a language none of the other characters understand. There was one scene, about 15 minutes in the game, where you could control it, and that was definitly the most wonderful part in this really good game. Now, the developers have announced that their next game will center entirely on that character - and I definitly won't buy it. Some characters are best in small doses.

"Das Vieh"-critter or creature. That is good to know. I'm playing through Simon the Sorcerer 5 right now and Vieh has come up quite a lot. It makes more sense now that I know it doesn't just mean cattle. I'm liking the game, Simon is back to being the lovable rascal of old. Speaking of Simon the Sorcerer: The Swampling got his own game. I may play Unwritten tales next, but the games "Sunrise" and "1 1/2 Ritter" look good too.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm having trouble working out where to cast my vote...

I think she's possibly worthy of her own game perhaps, but for some reason the fact that it'd be a Monkey Island spin-off bothers me a little. I think for it to work, they'd have to make the game completely different to the other Monkey Island games. Morgan's cool, but oh so different to Guybrush.
    Speaking of Simon the Sorcerer: The Swampling got his own game.
    He sure did! And because it's so different to the other Simon games (for starters, it's not a point-and-click adventure) it worked, and the creators didn't really make much of a gamble. I think that's what they'd have to do if they ever made a Monkey Island spin-off that wasn't centered around Guybrush. Basically it would have to go in a completely different direction, while making it clear to the player that it's different (so they aren't disappointed).
  • edited September 2009
    I like her appearance in Tales just fine, but seriously? Her own game? I mean, 85% of her shtick only works when she's around Guybrush.

Also, she kind of seems like a character that would get really annoying in large doses. I'm kind of worried about Lair of the Leviathan in this respect, it's likely the episode will give us a lot more Morgan than Episode 2. It may be hard to avoid "Morgan overload", especially with the forum's squealing over her.
  • edited September 2009
    im not sick of her but we've only seen a little bit of her. plus im pretty sure the only reason guys like her is because she shows cleavage and has an impossibly small waist
  • edited September 2009
    Morgan would probably be the Jack Harkness of Monkey Island. Once she gets her own spin-off, she gets an entire crew, turns out to be bisexual, and later ends up being a big, talking head in the future.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm not sure whether Morgan would make a great lead character in a game. It might be clearer as the series progresses and the character is developed (assuming Morgan isn't removed from the series for whatever reason). At the moment though, I don't think I can agree with any of the three options in the poll. I might vote after I have played some more chapters.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2009
    "Das Vieh"-critter or creature. That is good to know. I'm playing through Simon the Sorcerer 5 right now and Vieh has come up quite a lot. It makes more sense now that I know it doesn't just mean cattle. I'm liking the game, Simon is back to being the lovable rascal of old. Speaking of Simon the Sorcerer: The Swampling got his own game. I may play Unwritten tales next, but the games "Sunrise" and "1 1/2 Ritter" look good too.

Right - "Vieh" is actually a rather derogative term for animals of any kind. Cattle would be the first meaning, though.

I recommend "BoUT" for your next game (Never played "Sunrise", but I'm seing a lot of negative reviews at amazon; "1 1/2 Ritter" is surprisingly good, considering its genesis as a movie tie-in game). Graphics are incredible, the parody victims are very numerous (Terry Prattchett included), the puzzles are of OK difficulty.
  • edited September 2009
    Wow! Close race here, great to see the "Yes!" vote pull ahead!
  • edited September 2009
    Voted no, There can ever be one MI game, no spin-offs would ever work, Without Guybrush or Elaine under MONKEY ISLAND tm

Altho there is a spin off POTC :D
  • edited September 2009
    Neither Yes nor No is leading!

Yes! That would ge great! 57 - 33.73%
    No! I'm sick of her already! 57 - 33.73%
    I really don't care to be honest... 55 - 32.54%
    Voters: 169.
  • edited September 2009
    Don't care, wouldn't buy it.
  • edited September 2009
    It will be interesting to see how (or if) the voting changes after "Lair of the Leviathan"...
  • edited September 2009
    It will be interesting to see how (or if) the voting changes after "Lair of the Leviathan"...
    there should be a new poll so people if people changed their minds they can revote
  • edited September 2009
    TT should make an episode of her. There's already the settings of Tales and the TT Tool engine, so one episode would be a good snack.

EDIT: but not as part of Tales, but as an individual "mini game".
  • edited September 2009
    I didn't vote, because I miss the option "I don't care, as long as Rule 34 gets applied", but then again you would only get one vote.

Right?
  • edited September 2009
    Gonner wrote: »
    im not sick of her but we've only seen a little bit of her. plus im pretty sure the only reason guys like her is because she shows cleavage and has an impossibly small waist

She also has huge thighs. She honestly isn't that attractive and I don't think Elaine is either.

People like her because of the way she's dressed, with makeup, fashion hairdo, neck collar, cleavage showing and a corsetted shirt. Typical sexy pirate chick kind of dress.
  • edited September 2009
    In my opinion it's her eyes.
  • edited September 2009
    I wouldn't want her own game but I'm not sick of her either. So I picked I don't really care.

And I think makeup is ugly. On anybody.
  • edited September 2009
    Why does it matter what people personally think? Why don't people leave it open for if it would be a bad business move. People are going to feel differently anyways, this is very multi-side the polls are basically non conclusive.

Most of you would support TellTale games anyways and from a practical and functional stand point they just might make a lot of money on Morgan games. The question wasn't so much if you like Morgan it was if TellTale games should make games about her.

Then again you need to form your opinion on something, what you already know, you can't account for that if TellTale games made Morgan games that they would do some redesign and alter the Monkey Island universe into a new and exciting universe that better fit her.

I haven't played TTG MI yet so I don't know her character, and that makes me very sad...
  • edited September 2009
    Not sick of her, but such a spin-off is worse than unnecessary.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.