Thoughts about Clementine and AJ Relationship.

Well, for some time, i was discussing with some people about that matter and i got some different point of views.

Some said that Clem is like a adoptive mom to AJ despite her age (teenage mothers exist and some are good at it) because of the way she is toward him in season 2,3 and the demo of S4

Some said that Clem is more like a big sister. Because of her age and was playing with him like siblings do. Also her age making it most likely the best approach between the two.

Some said that it's not a family kind of relationship. She lost enough and is not making bound too much big to not being broken again. She is acting like a guardian/babysitter toward AJ. Most likely a GOOD friendly relationship but not like the above ones

What you guys think about it?

Comments

• Also would it be great to have a determinant choose about it in the game, like on how Aj perceive her?

• I think AJ should...you know.....??

• "I don't know if I was a good mom or not"

• I think there's room for the player to decide how to view their relationship. I think some of the power of Lee and Clem's relationship in season 1 comes from the fact that Lee never sought to replace Clem's father and Clem never refers to him as a father-like figure even after his death. I really love this theme of chosen families beyond the existing biological, mother-father-sibling scheme.

In my own opinion, Clem refers to herself as AJ's mother-like figure in ANF, but I'd like to think as AJ grows older and becomes more of a capable survivor that their relationship has become more equal in a way? Either like siblings or in a guardian relationship similar to Lee and Clem in season 1, with the difference being that Clem is much closer to AJ in age than Lee was to Clem and can relate to his struggles as a child in the apocalypse.

• Since the middle of season 2, AJ has been the main focus of TWD.

I still can't find a reason to care for him more than any other character. As Lee, it was easy to want to love and protect Clem. But with AJ, I need a reason to care

• To be fair, AJ was a baby. And for that reason hasn't got much screentime nor any dialogue.
    I like what I've seen from AJ in TFS so far.

Stewart25 posted: »

Since the middle of season 2, AJ has been the main focus of TWD. I still can't find a reason to care for him more than any other character. As Lee, it was easy to want to love and protect Clem. But with AJ, I need a reason to care

• Of course you're right

Also in real life, I'd be willing to die for AJ. But as a gamer, I was a little surprised how little I cared the two times he "died" (when Jane came back without him and when he supposedly died under the care of the new frontier) I kind of just thought "okay let's see where the story goes from here" - I was more distraught when Luke died.

But yeah as you say he was a baby. I think it's because I still play with Clementine as my daughter figure and I don't want her to die trying to protect a kid at her age.

To be fair, AJ was a baby. And for that reason hasn't got much screentime nor any dialogue. I like what I've seen from AJ in TFS so far.

• I kind of just thought "okay let's see where the story goes from here"

I think most people thought like that, me included. In ANF I cared a bit more about AJ but it was probably because of what he meant to Clem. But I'm looking forward to see AJ's actual character in TFS.

• It's almost funny to look at their relationship. Where they've been, how much she's sacrificed for him and where they are now. I always think back and laugh in TFS at the train station, where Clem got frightened at the walker couple and AJ just going "huh" lol. After all these years, she's easily startled, because she remembers what the world once was compared to their present. On AJ's side he has no recollection - being born in the apocalypse. With their age difference, you'd assume the complete opposite. I'm excited to see how they bump heads eventually and overcome their biggest battle. Still don't know what I want my AJ to become yet. Should I make him a cold survivalist because I know what the world can be? Or teach him morality like Lee did Clem?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.