What if The Walking Dead: Season 1 was a movie?

edited August 2018 in The Walking Dead

I had this thought over my head for years; what would’ve happen if the events of TWDG1 was told through a cinematic perspective at the big screens?

1- Can the plot and event of the first season work as a movie?

2- Would it get the same critically postive praise as the game got?

3- Who would YOU cast as Lee, Clem, Kenny, Lilly and the rest?

(not gonna look for a director since I only wonder if the game was told as a movie instead of an actaul game)

For me, I think it would work :)

Comments

• It might have worked but think how many events there are happening throughout the season 1, I don't know if the movie could handle all of that.

• Yeah, maybe cut some of the story, for me I’d keep the cannibals’ ranch and leader wars between kenny and lilly and maybe the search for a boat? Crawford wasn’t that interesting.

NexusFire posted: »

It might have worked but think how many events there are happening throughout the season 1, I don't know if the movie could handle all of that.

• edited August 2018

Oh really? I that was one of the best parts. You think the ending would still be so emotional?

Hersani posted: »

Yeah, maybe cut some of the story, for me I’d keep the cannibals’ ranch and leader wars between kenny and lilly and maybe the search for a boat? Crawford wasn’t that interesting.

• I thinks there's too much main story, side things, relationships and interactions to fit the whole season in one movie. I could see it happening as a 5 episode show, though.

• Yep. I can see that lee’s actor walking up to take the oscar as clementine’s actor take best side character (i think that is the prize’s name)... I can see all the the tears in the theatre and the positive reviews for the ending lol to be honest i only like to see twdg1 as a movie just for the ending and see how people react to it don’t care if it flops

NexusFire posted: »

Oh really? I that was one of the best parts. You think the ending would still be so emotional?

• 5 episode show? Isn’t the same :D?

armis37 posted: »

I thinks there's too much main story, side things, relationships and interactions to fit the whole season in one movie. I could see it happening as a 5 episode show, though.

• If you haven't already, watch The Road. It's not quite the same, but there are some similarities with TWD to be found.
    It's a good movie anyway.

• 5 episode TV show, so no, but I see your point. :)

Hersani posted: »

5 episode show? Isn’t the same ?

• (Just FYI, we try to reserve the "Talk with Telltale" thread tag exclusively for threads created by Telltale Staff members.)

• After the recent events with Netflix, it would be nice to see them adapting the first season into a series.

• I think it would work as a Netflix series(not AMC). Not as a movie. But yes, the plot would work. One of the main criticisms I hear whenever someone brings this up is how they would be forced to choose certain choices over others(saving Carley over Doug). I don’t see that as a valid complaint. The game presents these moments as choices and puts you in situations where you have to choose. The show wouldn’t need to do that. It wouldn’t put Lee in a situation where he had to choose between Carley or Doug. They would either both survive or Doug would die in a way that wouldn’t have anything to do with saving Carley. Sorry for rambling.

In terms of critical reaction, there’s no way to predict the outcome. It would be dependent on so many factors that the game never had to worry about. It all depends on the directing, the story, the writing, the acting, budget, network, etc.

Potential Casting Options:

Lee: Mike Colter, Jesse L. Martin, Henry Simmons.

Kenny: Gavin Hammon(maybe), Timothy Olyphant.

Clem: Unknown. There is no actor that I know of who is young enough to play her. It would have to be an unknown actor.

Lilly: Evangeline Lilly, Emma Lahanna.

Showrunner: Vince Gilligan(not gonna happen but I can dream).

• edited August 2018

I'd watch it for sure. They could have the choices just be whatever had the highest percent of all players, so the choice to save Doug or save Carly, movie Lee would save whichever had the highest % in game statistics. Wiki says Doug, with 52%, which surprises me. Last time I played season 1 episode 1, just a few weeks ago, the stats screen said only 23% of players saved Doug. Anyway, do the majority rules on those choices and make the movie. Cut out unnecessary stuff that doesn't directly advance the story, like Crawford, to shorten the run time to a reasonable movie length. Can also cut out Glenn's motor inn girlfriend or him getting stuck there at all. Can cut the bandits that push them from the motor inn, just have them abandon it as supplies run low or just have a random herd of walkers overrun it and force them out. A lot of the season could be cut to make a tight, solid movie without it needing to be an 8 hour epic lol.

• It probably wouldn't work as a movie or the script would've been completely reconstructed to work as such. But it could very well work for a tv show adaptation. Every Telltale episode would be cut down into two or three episodes with the last one being one big, 90 minute finale. It'll probably end up being 12 - 13 episodes long or maybe even ten, if you cut out some of the more unimportant stuff.

It should probably come from HBO, for obvious reasons, and be adapted by Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould, because they're the best.

Casting is another interesting thing. I don't really care that much about it.
    But Lee really should be played by Kevin Carrol, who plays John Murphy on The Leftovers.

• edited August 2018

You mean tags? yeah sorry about that, first discussing I made here and kinda feeling uncomfortable doing it by a mobile, will do correct it now thanks for letting me know

(Just FYI, we try to reserve the "Talk with Telltale" thread tag exclusively for threads created by Telltale Staff members.)

• It would be much better as a TV Show.

• I love your cast, heres mine:

Lee: Jamie Foxx
    Kenny: Paul Rudd
    Clementine: eh..
    Lilly: Evangeline Lilly
    Carley: Cara Delevingne
    Molly: Brie Larson
    Christa: Alexandra Shipp

Mattsag207 posted: »

I think it would work as a Netflix series(not AMC). Not as a movie. But yes, the plot would work. One of the main criticisms I hear whenever

• Lee would be played by Idris Elba

Clementine would be played by a young Amandla Stenberg

As for everyone else, idk

• i think it'd be better if they casted unknown actors. but there's already 2 walking dead tv shows plus a walking dead talk show thing so i doubt many people would be interested in more zombies.

• they could always just choose the choices that the higher percentage chose playing the games

Mattsag207 posted: »

I think it would work as a Netflix series(not AMC). Not as a movie. But yes, the plot would work. One of the main criticisms I hear whenever

• The game's story should not be adapted in any way, nobody other than Dave Fennoy can be Lee, and nobody other than Melissa can play Clem.

• the walking dead is going downhill due to rick and maggie leaving

sarahsenpai posted: »

i think it'd be better if they casted unknown actors. but there's already 2 walking dead tv shows plus a walking dead talk show thing so i doubt many people would be interested in more zombies.

• the walking dead went downhill when they faked glenn's death then did that dumb cliffhanger with negan's intro.

mneilan posted: »

the walking dead is going downhill due to rick and maggie leaving

• for many people it started to go down when Carl was killed. and now that the most important character, in which the show was based on, rick is leaving (the actor wants to leave) and now the 2nd or 3rd most popular character maggie, the actresses wants less time on the show or something

sarahsenpai posted: »

the walking dead went downhill when they faked glenn's death then did that dumb cliffhanger with negan's intro.

• Love your choices but just admire how paul rudd looks like kenny with a mustache

Dex-Starr posted: »

Lee would be played by Idris Elba Clementine would be played by a young Amandla Stenberg As for everyone else, idk

Sign in to comment in this discussion.