"Take Us Back" end credit music/Alela Diane appreciation thread

So with all of the episode titles for the Final Season revealed it's got my gears turning in regards to episode 4; Take Us Back. Most notably how it relates to the end credit music of No Time Left, a song by the same from by the undisputed queen of blues-country music Alela Diane in what cannot be a coincidence. The implication seems to be that her music will return, which I am extremely excited and terrified of. TellTale's use of her music already broke me like a little baby-child once and it's liable to do it again.
This of course leads to the obvious question; which song?
Her work with Alina Harding, while great, is probably stuck under some complicated copyright mess.
White As Diamonds has been floating around as a suggestion for years, but given that the last time "It's cold as shit outside" was a theme of the games was back in season 2, it's ideal time may have passed.
About Farewell has some strong contenders. If the series ends with the death of Clem or AJ like fans fear, capping it off with About Farewell (the song, not the whole album) seems like the type of sadistic thing TellTale would do.
If the season ends with the death of AJ, The Wind would be an absolute gut punch, if a bit on the nose.
If the characters are left on their own, cast out into the world once more without direction Lost Land would be a good fit.

But what really gets me wondering is her most recent album; Cusp, released back in February. In what is in my opinion, her best work yet, one of the major themes throughout is motherhood after the birth of her 2nd daughter. This should fit right alongside season 4 due to Clem's new role but this is where we hit some problems. Alela Diane went into labor 5 weeks premature and had a near death experience, another theme of the album (especially Threshold and the 1st verse of Wild Ceaseless Song). Because of this there's a lot of references to her pregnancy and the birth that can't really carry over since Clem skipped that bit. A real shame because otherwise Never Easy and Wild Ceaseless Song would be shoe-ins.
But of all of them Ether And Wood stands out. If the episode name's implications about returning somewhere familiar are true then the 2nd verse would hit like a ton of bricks. While the background vocals of the Soderberg sisters of First Aid Kit should also send it into weird legal territory, TellTale has used 2 First Aid Kit songs in the past with Wolf from the Michonne Miniseries opening on My Silver Lining in Tales From the Borderlands. Granted it would have to cut out before the 3rd verse due to more pregnancy references, but given that Take Us Back cut out before the line about the strength of water sinking a man (cough cough Kenny cough cough) it wouldn't be as egregious.

I would like to close, encouraging further discussion on the matter, be it more unnecessary wild speculation or simply discussing her music.

I've been having a needlessly hard time with my life this past year and music has been one of my saving graces. Alela Diane has wholly earned herself a spot as one of my go-to artists when I need a pick-me-up so I'll leave you all with the closing statements from the list of thanks yous included in the lyric book from physical copies of Cusp

To you, listener, for your ears & support of my work; and of course, to the beautiful mystery that walks me through the days of life. I am grateful to be here.

Comments

• kinda off topic but not really, her wiki page says there was a song called "the light" that was in the walking dead show, but i can't remember it or find it.

on topic, i kinda really like the ending songs to be a surprise. like something i haven't heard before. makes it more nostalgic. idk

• edited August 2018

double posted by accident. damn you, internet!

• Yeah, I saw that too and tried to dig it up before. Came up empty handed. If I had to guess it was an ambient instrumental and that's why it went under the radar.

sarahsenpai posted: »

kinda off topic but not really, her wiki page says there was a song called "the light" that was in the walking dead show, but i can't rememb

• either that or they got the name wrong on wikipedia. it's on the soundtrack so maybe if someone had it they can confirm or not.

Joe_Momma posted: »

Yeah, I saw that too and tried to dig it up before. Came up empty handed. If I had to guess it was an ambient instrumental and that's why it went under the radar.

• It's a good song. Thread over.

• It's

She's got more than 1. To which are you referring?

It's a good song. Thread over.

• "Take us back"

Joe_Momma posted: »

It's She's got more than 1. To which are you referring?

• Sad song. Gets me sadder as it's playing at the end of the season.

• :'( tears always

• Lol, with this thread he showed a handful of great songs beyond Take Us Back, so at least for that I am thankful.

It's a good song. Thread over.

• Actually, acoustic version of About Farewell would be so gut wrenching and emotional that it would create a really nice poetic dot behind this series. I ship it

• edited August 2018

Telltale said there will be a returning end credit song from a previous episude. Seeing as how episode 4 is literally called Take Us Back, then it’s obvious they are going to go with the song “Take Us Back”

• Maybe the song could differ based on how your game ends (assuming there are multiple endings).

• Maybe the song could differ based on how your game ends (assuming there are multiple endings).

I'm a massive fan of the idea.

Telltale said there will be a returning end credit song from a previous episude.

I've been admitably out of the loop. When they say that?

• Blows off dust
    Yeah, I may as well bring this back for a retrospect.

So, they went with Take Us Back again. The most obvious choice but not a bad one.
    Like I said on the meme thread:

When Take Us Back starts playing but I know it's getting Alela Diane some royalties

Honestly I'm a little peeved that they didn't go with The Threshold when that song is literally about a near death experience. Then again I guess the line

I see our children grown

gets a bit spotty....

Bit of side news; got Cusp on vinyl. One of only 3 albums I've bought in multiple formats. Also gave another listen to About Farewell while driving for work tonight. I swear that album gets a little better every time I hear it. Colorado Blue in particular stood out to me this time.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.