Toothless

I don't know if anyone's talked about this already, but have you folks noticed that there seems to be a lot of toothless walkers hanging about? Usually when that happens, it's cause someone's been knocking their teeth out and using them to get through a herd or something. Theories, thoughts?

If this has been mentioned somewhere else, could I get a link to the discussion?

Comments

• edited August 2019

• It's one of the first things I noticed when I played through ep1. It's just been kinda bugging me.

• I know Abel is going to live but I wasn't sure how they were gonna play that off. But now I know they are going to use the walkers lack of teeth.

• There's a hugely abnormal amount of not just toothless, but **jawless ** Walkers in the first episode. Perhaps it's something another group close by is doing with blunt force to the face to render them harmless without removing them. Maybe the wildlife is getting the better of a few of them. I'm sure a deer could kick the degrading rotted jaw off a walker or two if they got too close.

It's equally likely the art team just liked reusing that asset for plot convenience. :no_mouth:

• It does make you wonder.

• I've considered it being just reused assets, TTG does love reusing assets after all. Though I don't think that's it this time around, since the toothless/jawless walkers don't appear until halfway through the episode. I'd think if it was just reusing assets, you would have seen some in previous scenes. It could be that there are some that I just didn't spot, but I've played though a couple times now.

Anyway, I just got the sense that it was meant to be foreshadowing and was hoping someone else had noticed as well and had some thoughts.

• Maybe it's foreshadowing...

Helvorix posted: »

It's one of the first things I noticed when I played through ep1. It's just been kinda bugging me.

• There is only one person who does this with the zombies I know - Michonne is the most obvious option for this, we only have to wait until we see her

• I thought this was gonna be about Toothless from HTTYD. I'm outta here!

• Same.

Dex-Starr posted: »

I thought this was gonna be about Toothless from HTTYD. I'm outta here!

• Let's consider possible motives for why someone would be capturing walkers, removing their teeth and lower jaw, then letting them go.

1. Using the walkers in the area to hide their location. Like, people see from afar there are still a lot of walkers in the area and choose to avoid, not realizing a large percentage of those walkers are largely harmless, thereby making the walkers a form of fencing keeping other people out.

2. I got nothing else.

I think more likely a lot of the toothless/jawless walkers are there because of asset recycling and for plot convenience, especially the one pulling Abel out the window. Can't have him die there if he's going to be a pivotal character later.

• Clearly Louis and Assim have been converting them to use.

• Possible. If unlikely in context.

bobshaw posted: »

Clearly Louis and Assim have been converting them to use.

• They do focus directly on some of the walkers with the different coloured eyes and no mouths, I do think they play a part in the story. One of the walker couple had different coloured eyes and I think judging by the community food schedule we see on the wall that they must'v been connected to other groups, maybe Abel's group which is why he knows the food there isn't clems and knows where it came from.

• Could the be Michonne's doing?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.