Scariest moments in the series?

The scariest moment for me is in S1 Ep2 when Lee walks on the stair and opens the hidden door to see Mark there with no legs and a lot of blood. The rest of the series isn't really that scary.

Comments

• Well I must say that the basement scene in Done Running was scary.

• That walker jumpscare in the shed in s1E4 was terrifying

@NexusFire eeehhh not really. Would have been better if Brody launched herself at us from out of nowhere. Once the cutscene started it was obvious she was going to show up...and then...she just shuffles on over to Clem. Kind of a wasted opportunity tbf, I was waiting for a jumpscare but alas I did not get one.

• the scariest moments to me is the jump scares of walker sandra than the walker that stuck in the car near the train the one you kill using the car door than the shadow that passes so fast front of the camera when you go out of the school at crawford looking for molly in that ally comes my next scariest moment in the the small cabin that you use to reach the other side of the fence there is a walker that appear when you go out again looking for the walker doctor who had ana corea tape that walker who get his head smashed by a tv he scared the life out of me fisrt time i played the game than comes the walker who come in the march house when lee open the door after beating the stranger and than boom a walker out fucking no where goes ignoring lee and attacking clem . than comes my scariest moment ever in 400 days becca jump scares her sister that little brat almost killed me and give me a heart attack.

• edited September 2018

Jumpscare is such a lazy way to scare the players, I thought the basement scene had a good horror atmosphere.

Melton23 posted: »

That walker jumpscare in the shed in s1E4 was terrifying @NexusFire eeehhh not really. Would have been better if Brody launched herself a

• Finding Mark at the dairy

• Except the dark isn’t scary, it’s literally the exact same as the light but the lighting obviously decreased, same shit happens either way. It doesn’t matter if it’s lazy, only if it’s effective. I’d rather have a lazy yet effective scary moment than something that just doesn’t get to me one bit.

Box Tv posted: »

Jumpscare is such a lazy way to scare the players, I thought the basement scene had a good horror atmosphere.

• Humans are hardwired to be afraid of the dark.
    Darkness means uncertainty, it leaves us vulnerable and exposed, we are unable to see any possible threats.

Anyway I found the basement scene to be well made and it comes out as scary not because of jump scares but because of the urgency to get the hell out of there, Brody's screeching, uncertainty because you don't know when walker Brody will jump on you, the camera racing towards you as you try to lift off that latch with the ruler, lightning that reveals walker Brody behind you as you go up the stairs...

Personally I found this scene to be quite scary (for a Telltale game) even without a jump scare.

Except the dark isn’t scary, it’s literally the exact same as the light but the lighting obviously decreased, same shit happens either way.

• I admit, I was a bit scared because I was expecting a jumpscare out of the dark...which didn’t happen. If I recall correctly one of the reasons people praise season 1 is because for the jump scares, apparently s4 can’t get that though, even in a moment where a jumpscare would work best.

Humans are hardwired to be afraid of the dark. Darkness means uncertainty, it leaves us vulnerable and exposed, we are unable to see any po

• Season 1 could use jump scares more easily because it was the beginning and people were afraid of the walkers, but now it's been 8-9 years, we are used to them and so are the characters, it's harder to make a jump scare believable, why would someone who's used to surviving among walkers be scared of one ?
    Now when you see a walker you are more like "Eh, another one to kill", Season 1 was more of "Jesus Christ what the fuck is this thing".

Plus I don't think I've heard anyone say they liked Season 1 because of jump scares.

I admit, I was a bit scared because I was expecting a jumpscare out of the dark...which didn’t happen. If I recall correctly one of the reas

• when you don't see it coming its scares you alright even is it was a cute hamster comes juming in your face with no warning or when you don't see it coming it scares you alright and.
    and how do you believe that the characters in the game are not scared from walkers yeah they used to it but that doesn't mean they are not afraid or scared cause they know that they slightest mistake maight mean the end for them when they are corned with a walker or out in the open.

Season 1 could use jump scares more easily because it was the beginning and people were afraid of the walkers, but now it's been 8-9 years,

• They are aware of the walkers and the danger they posses.
    They are not scared, if they'd be scared they couldn't kill them

FORTLEE posted: »

when you don't see it coming its scares you alright even is it was a cute hamster comes juming in your face with no warning or when you don'

• This is an unpopular one, but when Kenny smashed Carver's face with the crowbar I found it really fucking scary. It was so brutal.

I took it as a sign that he really lost it and became completely unstable.

• But they also could kill them in s1. And there were jumpscares.

They are aware of the walkers and the danger they posses. They are not scared, if they'd be scared they couldn't kill them

• Yes indeed that boo-boo was quite creepy. Most eerie I've felt since season one and that walker jumped out at Lee when the TV falls on its own head.

NexusFire posted: »

Well I must say that the basement scene in Done Running was scary.

• Would have been better if Brody launched herself at us from out of nowhere.

That's the purpose for the wait with anticipation in the dark. You might think she can pounce on you at anytime but she doesn't. Until you find out how it goes down your on edge or tensed up expecting Brody to jump on you and bite you in the ass or something. ?

That walker jumpscare in the shed in s1E4 was terrifying @NexusFire eeehhh not really. Would have been better if Brody launched herself a

• And we get that red flashlight moment at the end. :o

Ladariel posted: »

Yes indeed that boo-boo was quite creepy. Most eerie I've felt since season one and that walker jumped out at Lee when the TV falls on its own head.

• The moment Clem shot Lee.

• That's mainly because we live in a society wher. Horror Movies, Games, Shoes, etc overuse the Jumpscare tactic to the point where its ineffective.

Nowadays people aren't that scared of Jumpscares since they've been overused.

Considering that we dealt with these jumpscares in the Walking dead for like 6 years, its not so scary anymore. I mean it doesn't scare me.

I admit, I was a bit scared because I was expecting a jumpscare out of the dark...which didn’t happen. If I recall correctly one of the reas

• fucking hell the one next to the front of the train in s1e3 fucking scared me and almost broke my keyboard last friday lol, nice from it to be mentioned because i 100% remember that jumpscare

FORTLEE posted: »

the scariest moments to me is the jump scares of walker sandra than the walker that stuck in the car near the train the one you kill using t

• Of course jump scares are still scary, watching the same jumpscare over and over lessens the effect but when it comes at any given moment, instead of being scripted or when viewing it for the first time of course it’ll be scary. Idk where you got the whole “no one is scared of jump scares” thing from

That's mainly because we live in a society wher. Horror Movies, Games, Shoes, etc overuse the Jumpscare tactic to the point where its ineffe

• if people are not scared from walkers than they wouldn't arm their selfs or grab any thing protect them from it they wouldn't build a towns with big walls or fences so it keep them safe they wouldn't look for the safety if they are not scared/afraid people maybe are use to it but they are not dumb they are still aware of the walkers as a threat/danger fear is what make them protect their lifes when they encounter a walker

They are aware of the walkers and the danger they posses. They are not scared, if they'd be scared they couldn't kill them

• Fear doesn’t stop you from dealing with a necessity. Some people are scared of planes, but still need to go on them if the want to travel overseas, others find it scary to communicate with people but still need to do so.

AJ damn nearly shat himself when that one walker made its way into the car. Granted, it grabbed Clementine, but still, he was scared, the walker was the source of the fear, and he still (nearly) killed it.

• Some people are scared of planes, but still need to go on them if the want to travel overseas, others find it scary to communicate with people but still need to do so.

And still they tend to panic and lose control of the situation, people with fear of planes might start to freak out, people who find it scary to communicate will stumble when talking etc.

When you are scared you don't think straight, you act more on instinct than on logic.

All I'm saying is that people in the ZA are used to the walkers and don't find them as scary as they once used to, like we don't find them that scary anymore and putting some jump scares into a game just to make us jump for a second is not a satisfying way, at least for me, to create a scary scene.

Fear doesn’t stop you from dealing with a necessity. Some people are scared of planes, but still need to go on them if the want to travel ov

• I’m scared shitless of planes and I’ve flown one before with the fear still there. As Javier once said, fear gives you focus, you know you don’t want anything bad happening to you so you counter that fear.

That scene in the dark just wasn’t scary because there was nothing TO scare us. When you look at games such as outlast, fnaf 1, slender, scary maze and Amnesia the things that makes those games scary is that they have A: jump scares and B: unpredictability. Sure, I expected a jumpscare was coming, but it never did so sure it was unpredictable but not in a good way. The reason why Amnesia was so good, for example, was because the monsters would just charge at you from the shadows and THAT’s what made it scary, they weren’t even proper jumpscares, not just shuffling out slowly into the character’s point of view, where we’d just do another QTE.

Some people are scared of planes, but still need to go on them if the want to travel overseas, others find it scary to communicate with peop

• Remember, I said it was a good horror scene for a Telltale game, don't compare it with the best of that genre.
    I simply don't enjoy jump scares as a way of making a scary scene / game.
    Have you played Firewatch ? The game didn't have any jump scares but I still felt creeped out as I played through the game.
    Another example would be The Long Dark (Wintermute) where there wasn't any jump scare but the atmosphere, the locations and the environment simply creeped me out and I was expecting a jump scare at every turn.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I prefer slow and unsettling scenes that create a creepy atmosphere more than a straight up jump scare, which most of the time in movies and games is pretty predictable (Like the jump scare after the fake jump scare thing, where a character sees something, goes to check it out, turns out to be nothing then turns around and there's someone there)

I’m scared shitless of planes and I’ve flown one before with the fear still there. As Javier once said, fear gives you focus, you know you d

• What about when Lee got bitten by that lightspeed walker?

• Or walking through the herd in season 2 while people are shooting from the roof?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.