Clearing the walkers outside the school (QTE frustration)

edited September 2018 in The Walking Dead

Did anyone else have trouble getting through this section? I'm talking about where you have to clear the walkers right after the piano part where you are reunited with AJ after the car crash. FFS this part is driving me insane! I've died about 7 times in a row because it only gives me a split second to react with the QTE prompt! I've payed for and played all of the Walking Dead games, including the Michonne one and I've never had quite this much trouble with a QTE part. It's really pissing me off, tbh. I want to be able to enjoy the story and make choices etc, these games have never really been about overly difficult parts that you have to keep retrying over and over until you get it right! It really breaks the immersion when you have to watch a short cut scene for the 10th time! Anyway, maybe I'm just getting old and my reflexes aren't what they used to be, but I just feel annoyed and wanted to bitch to someone about how I'm not enjoying this shit! Thanks for reading my little whinge, anyway

Comments

• I've died quite a few times there too but it's easy once you realize you can just stun a walker, kill another, stun again kill again and so on.
    Stunning is faster than straight up killing them so you can move around a lot once you stun one, don't forget you can sprint holding RB (or shift) so you know just move around a lot.
    If you want to do the achievement (the one with all the traps) just stun one when it's in the trap area then cut the trap, stun another again in the circle and cut the trap until you've killed them all.

• I'm going to assume you have the same problem other people do: you go up to kill a walker, and bam, you get stuck in a grapple animation with him where you have to mash a button. Then another one comes up behind you and kills you. Game over, try again. And you're sick of it.

So, here's how the combat sections work in a nutshell:

• If you get too close to a walker from the front, it forces you into a grapple QTE. If another walker gets close to you during this, you will die.

• If you press the button to kill the walker, you will do a killing animation. Once again, if another zombie gets too close while you're in the middle of the killing animation, you will die.

• If a zombie gets too close to you from the back, it is an instant kill.

The combat revolves around stunning them, and breaking them apart so you can deal with them one at a time. There's an ebb and flow to it, and once you understand how the mechanics work, it's easier to complete these sections.

The solution to the grappling problem mentioned above is easier than you'd think: don't keep walking towards the zombie; let it come to you.

What's happening here is that the zombie is moving towards you, and you're moving towards the walker. As a result, you both get too close to each other before you can press the button to stun it/kill it, forcing you into a grapple instead. Get within a modest range of the zombie, then let the zombie close the distance on its own. When it gets close enough, you'll get the button to stun/kill it, and boom, no more getting stuck in grapples with every zombie.

Hopefully that helps explain things a bit more clearly for you.

• I managed to kill all of them without using the traps lol I thought it would get me an achievement but it was still fun

• It's really not that hard, just keep kicking them while herding them around until there's only 2 in a group, you can't win if there's 3 so don't even try, or just use the traps to break them up.

• Ahh, yes! This is exactly what kept happening: I'd stun then kill 1, then by the time that animation was over there'd be another one right on me, so by then I'd be stuck in the grapple thing which had me mashing A (I play with a gamepad) and then of course as soon as that finished, yet another one would be on me and it'd pretty much kill me. Thank you very much for the advice, guys! I reckon I can reattempt this now without wanting to throw my controller through the nearest window!

I've died quite a few times there too but it's easy once you realize you can just stun a walker, kill another, stun again kill again and so

• edited September 2018

My tactic was:

• stun two
    • kill the first you stunned
    • kill the other

with the trap:

• take it easy
    • you can outron zombie with the sprint
    • stun two
    • bait third under a trap
    • stun two again
    • kill the first
    • kill the last
  • I made a thread like this but idiotically tried to hide my incompetence by naming it Strategies For Walker Combat, instead of QTE frustration. But there ya go, the forums are happy to help!

• I just start spamming the B button when one gets even slightly close. Theirs no penalty for clicking the button early so just spam it.

• It took quite a few tries to get this part done

• I like to play “run around the tree” with them. Basically the same as the table trick when playing tag ?

• Damn i miss playing tag...

Melton23 posted: »

I like to play “run around the tree” with them. Basically the same as the table trick when playing tag ?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.