Will we still be able to purchase Telltale games? Will there be more sales?

edited September 2018 in The Walking Dead

No-one has given any official words on this and I'm not sure how this works. Companies like Xbox and Sony , can they still make Telltale games monthly free games? I know Bman S1 was given for free to promote S2 in Dec/Janruary, maybe Telltale just made a request to them.

I believe Telltale can still make some profit from their games and they will still be available for purchase, but I'm not sure. But we will definitely be able to play those we own. And to think I were waiting for a sale to finally buy GOTG, idk.

Will we get a sale for Telltale games ever again? I only have £10 on me (moved country lol) and I really wanted to get GOTG cheap if indeed Telltale removes purchasing options.

My opinion: Telltale, The Abrupt Who Close Down Their Company But Don't Look For Other Ways Out And Don't Care About TFS, will close down once Minecraft is complete, because no-one will work for them anymore so no more games so no more profit. After that, Sony or Xbox or whoever would pay them a small amount to hand over the existing games to make full profit from. We probably won't get refunds, at least with Playstation (they can't do Backwards Compatibility or Cross-Play, so obviously no free £10 network cards for me) and it'll be a tragic end. Skybound would probably finish off the game with 50 devs and the Telltale Tool, assets, VA, and scripts.

Dammit, why does this all have to be so abrupt? con-artists at Telltale should've told us at least that this would be their final game and finish it off, not end it on a whimper with the rest of the studio in shock and anger and desperation. But instead it's ''whoops guess we're low on money, sorry fellas, Telltale's over''

What do you think?

Comments

• I'm sure we'll still be able to purchase games. There'll be some account set up and any money earned due to TellTale will go into that account. From there though I've no idea what would happen to it, probably go to pay off debts if they close up shop owing money to various people, otherwise, probably in the pockets of the board members.

• Wait for Pete Howley statement...

• *Hawley

MrGraffio posted: »

Wait for Pete Howley statement...

• And I'm not giving Pete Howley vilification or anything, and I'm not saying a CEO should be expected to turn around a company's future in less than a year, but honestly, they kinda should. MCSM S2 and Bman S2 were planned before Pete came, I know, but a company shouldn't die like this. Never let your fans go into an outrage and ask for refunds, never get a world record for making 250 people jobless and soon, homeless if they can't get a job soon. Really dissapointing.

• edited September 2018

I'd expect a goodbye Humble Bundle like when THQ was close to going out of business. They must have a whole stock of Steam keys to get rid of.

The problem is that we know none of the money would go into employee severance or any of the people who made the games because they're all gone. It would just help out the people higher up managing the shutdown. I'd be reluctant to buy a Bundle under those circumstances and I'm sure others would be too.

• edited September 2018

Yeah I don't blame Hawley for the company dying; that's squarely on the shoulders of Bruner and to a lesser degree, the board for not ousting him much sooner. That said, Hawley really dropped the ball in handling the situation. I know he was doing everything he could to keep the ship afloat and didn't want to cause any panic and likely negatively affect sales by telling employees how close they were to sinking, but by not telling anyone and giving them warning so they could prepare, he fucked them all over when they finally went over the edge and couldn't come back.

Ghetsis posted: »

And I'm not giving Pete Howley vilification or anything, and I'm not saying a CEO should be expected to turn around a company's future in le

• You should still be able to purchase them.

I mean Ghostbusters The Video Game is still available, and Terminal Reality went under.

• Do you think there wil be sales/will they be given out as free games occasionally still?

You should still be able to purchase them. I mean Ghostbusters The Video Game is still available, and Terminal Reality went under.

• Y'know, sometimes people forget that Bruner was present during Tales, Wolf etc.
    But I 100% agree. It is safer and less risky to do 2 games a year with a small team of 150 employees, instead of Bruner's 4 games a year with 4 different teams and 400 employees, with directors and writers switching projects and forgetting their goals for character arcs, etc.

And that, my friends, is why The Final Season felt like a masterpiece, for once. A shame that it didn't last long.

• @Hillbilly_Dave You actually can blame Pete Hawley for this though. Remember when Emily said there were several people who joined Telltale 2 weeks ago? Oh yeah, no-one at Telltale cared enough to not hire them. They probably noticed the bankruptancy from at least a month but didn't do anything to stop it, continued to hire people from up to 2 weeks ago, even hired an employee who had to move country?!
    What's more, Hawley approved making TFS a Season Pass only. That's actually fine, considering you get the Collection which is worth 3 games and £40, but this is just dumb.

August 25: ''Oh no! We're low on money!'' ''Uh, Boss, doncha' think we should keep this a secret for now? Look at how focused the developers are, can't let all their hard work go to waste.''
    ''Good idea! I approve! We should also keep our financial struggles away from the world and procrastinate to the last possible minute.''

September 21: ''Hey, ya finished Episode 2! By the way, we don't have enough money to pay everyone, so we're shutting down.'' ''Why didn't you say this earlier?'' ''Needed at least one more episode so that it seems somewhat plausible.'' ''That doesn't make sense'' ''Yeah, what was I thinking? Anyway, you have 30 minutes to exit the building'' ''But serverence?'' ''No severence'' ''My healthcare ends next mon-'' ''We can't afford that, sorry.'' ''What will you tell the fans?'' ''We'll say btw, we are not shutting down, so that'll definitely make them feel better''

This is a jokey re-enactment, but you have to wonder.

• Like I said, Hawley isn't to blame for the company tanking but his handling of the situation was shitty.

Ghetsis posted: »

@Hillbilly_Dave You actually can blame Pete Hawley for this though. Remember when Emily said there were several people who joined Telltale 2

• ''My healthcare ends next mon-''

I'm gonna say it, thats just fucking stupid

• Well, I think the company is dying because there games might just not be popular enough and because of the competition (too many games are being made in general). Like any company they need customers wanting to buy their products.

On another note, I wonder if we still can play our bought games or will that become impossible once there servers are down. (I know it is already impossible to play the 'adventure bundle' I once bought)?

• All their games will stay up. The only game that might not stay up is TFS if they decide to cancel it. Other then that though it should be good.

• Would be nice if they did a deal with GOG so that everyone who bought these games sees them in their GOG account and maybe they can sell it on telltales behalf too.

• I think generally what happens is that the company's catalog is sold off. A publisher like Activision, Microsoft, or EA will probably buy it and keep selling the games.

• Probably.

joe_w posted: »

I think generally what happens is that the company's catalog is sold off. A publisher like Activision, Microsoft, or EA will probably buy it and keep selling the games.

• Yes, it is likely they sell their catalog but that doesn't mean that they transfer the accounts of people who bought the game on this site (actually probably not). Also I am not sure if the servers stay up, I mean who is going to maintain, pay for that? Dat1Wizard246 , do you have any official info about that or was it just a guess?

I have downloaded my games but not sure about the activation (for instance BTTF and TOMI do they need online access for the activation). I already played these games but might want to replay them in the future.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.