What Are The Kid's Reasons for Being Labeled As 'Troubled Youth?'

Everyone was sent to 'troubled youth' for a reason.
Marlon - anger issues
Brody - panic attacks
Violet - anti-social
Mitch - blows stuff up
Tenn - what are his problems?
Willy - his issues?
Aasim - seems pretty normal
Ruby - her flaws?
Omar - his flaws?
Louis - seems fine

Comments

• Mmmm these are good points, I guess tehre is plenty to know about the cast.

-Louis- being unfocused? I can see how his here and now attitude might have gotten hhim in trouble

-Willy- Something tells me willy is older than we think. So, some sort of developtmental issues? It would explain why Aasim calls him childish

-Ruby- Excessively sensitive? He seem to overreact when somethign doesnt go ehr way.

-Aasim and Omar?- They seem indeed too mature for their age, this might ahve caused them sociability issues.

-Tenn?- Reclusiveness? he seems to keep to himself most of the time.

But thsoe are all mere conjectures, a long time has passed sicne they interned: The reasons of why they were interned in teh first place might have been solved a long time ago.

• I would guess ruby and omar have eating disorder

• pff

MrGraffio posted: »

I would guess ruby and omar have eating disorder

• I wanna know why Louis was there. He seems to be the most normal one.

• I remember one of the kids saying Tenn was at the school after the outbreak

• Another reason for Violet could be her sexuality. She's lesbian and she comes from a religious family (at least we know her grandma took her to church every Sunday). Maybe her family found out about it and sent her to the school?

• That is a good one Detective. I knew you were the right man for the job (Jokes aside that is a very good possibility)

Another reason for Violet could be her sexuality. She's lesbian and she comes from a religious family (at least we know her grandma took her to church every Sunday). Maybe her family found out about it and sent her to the school?

• edited September 2018

Realistically, all of the kids are too young to have been sent away to boarding as troubled youth. That's something you do with out of control tweens and teens. None of them could have been more than 9, 10 tops when shit went down. But if we suspend disbelief enough to accept that the older kids were sent there as troubled youth, that still leaves huge issues for the younger ones, Tenn and Willy. Tenn is what, 10? 11 tops? Willy is probably only 12 or 13. Honestly Ruby seems really young, too. Not Tenn young, but younger than most of the other kids. Hell, Clem is tiny at an estimated 5'1 (based on her height relation to doors and beds etc) and Ruby is considerably shorter than Clem.

If Tenn is actually 10, then he would have been no more than 2 when shit went down. Willy, if 12, would have been 4. They were both way way way too young to be sent to boarding school as troubled youth.

• edited September 2018

Marlon and especially Brody obviously had serious nervous and sometimes angry freak outs when under too much stress and fear.
    Louis seems to some degree of defiance issues that manifest in joking about a little too much at times and sometimes teasing/provoking people.
    Violet apparently has something similar that instead manifests as somewhat cold abrasiveness, in addition to being just a tad depraved at times.
    Ruby probably had anger and/or sentiment issues, but is a little unclear.
    Aasim and to some extent Omar seemed a bit on the persnickety side and as such could be terse & a little condescending.
    Mitch liked to blow things up, while Wily is a bit reckless and can be somewhat violent himself.

Which leaves Tenn, Sophia, and possible Minerva as potentially concerning question marks.

• Some of them could the result of a later integration? Or some piece dialogue already stated that they all were boarding members of the school?

Realistically, all of the kids are too young to have been sent away to boarding as troubled youth. That's something you do with out of contr

• Not all the kids are there from day 1. For example Tenn and Willy were no way there when it first started.

Also they might just be there for other reasons such as their parents committed a crime and they had no other family to go to so they live at a boarding school most of the time.

• Thank you. I'm just doing my job.

That is a good one Detective. I knew you were the right man for the job (Jokes aside that is a very good possibility)

• Weird thing is in Clem and AJ's room there's the photo album that has the twins and Tenn's photos, and Violet is with them too.

As for their parents being criminals, that's not how the system deals with kids whose parents get put in jail. The kids are sent to foster care, possible next of kin, but they don't get sent to an expensive boarding school lol.

Poogers555 posted: »

Not all the kids are there from day 1. For example Tenn and Willy were no way there when it first started. Also they might just be there

• Theere is always the chance of coincidence: Z-Day arrived when they were paying visit to some friend or relative in the School with their families or something

Weird thing is in Clem and AJ's room there's the photo album that has the twins and Tenn's photos, and Violet is with them too. As for th

• I'd believe that. It's the south. The south sucks about that kind of stuff.

Another reason for Violet could be her sexuality. She's lesbian and she comes from a religious family (at least we know her grandma took her to church every Sunday). Maybe her family found out about it and sent her to the school?

• I think I said this before, but if I'm being honest from a out-of-universe standpoint, Ericson's easily could've just been an orphanage or something, but a Boarding School for "Trouble Youths" sounds more piquant.

• edited September 2018

If that's truly the case, then I'll like Violet even more. Because she is still dating the girls in the school. ?

I'd believe that. It's the south. The south sucks about that kind of stuff.

• Most families who have parents committing crimes would most likely mean they arnt growing up in the best of house holds meaning that child may be a "troubled youth" even if in reality they arnt that troubled. ect ect cant be in normal foster care, is sent to boarding school for "troubled youths" due to their recations of being separated by parents.

I also didnt get to see this photo album, do we know its like an official year book type of thing? But really in the end I feel like they just use the school as an excuse for why theres kids with their own place, because things like Tenn being there dont make sense timeline wise.

Weird thing is in Clem and AJ's room there's the photo album that has the twins and Tenn's photos, and Violet is with them too. As for th

• edited September 2018

No it's like a scrapbook type thing, something the girls were doing as a personal thing. It had photos of the twins and Tenn when they were really small and Violet was in a picture or two with the twins. Like, the twins and Violet looked like they were maybe AJ's age and Tenn looked like he was 2, 3 tops. Also no sign of a burn scar on baby Tenn.

Poogers555 posted: »

Most families who have parents committing crimes would most likely mean they arnt growing up in the best of house holds meaning that child m

• Care to post those, while you're on the subject?

No it's like a scrapbook type thing, something the girls were doing as a personal thing. It had photos of the twins and Tenn when they were

• I don't have screen shots. I'm sure if you look up some episode 1 lets plays you'll find one that actually looks at the photo album.

DabigRG posted: »

Care to post those, while you're on the subject?

• I'm hoping that we find out why they were all sent there but seems so far the only canon one is Mitch right now.

I don't think many of them where there since day one, espiecally the twins and Tenn. Though it's possible the twins were there before-hand and set of to find their little brother.

However I've seen people speculate that Violet's parents/grandmother was really homophobic due to them being religious and once found out they sent her off. Meanwhile with Louis, I've seen people say that it's possible he has ADHD due to his lack of focus but other than that we haven't seen that many signs that he has it.

• Minnie and Sophie could've went back and brought Tenn as soon as the apocalypse started.

Realistically, all of the kids are too young to have been sent away to boarding as troubled youth. That's something you do with out of contr

• Clem - PTSD

• Yeah, I don't really get that from him either.
    Not that I'd know too much about how it works, but still, the boy can clearly hold his focus on things.

lottii-lu posted: »

I'm hoping that we find out why they were all sent there but seems so far the only canon one is Mitch right now. I don't think many of th

• ...I miss Sarah.

BigBadPaul posted: »

Clem - PTSD

• True that

Dex-Starr posted: »

I wanna know why Louis was there. He seems to be the most normal one.

• So much lost potential with her...

...I miss Sarah.

• For Willy I thought maybe he has dyspraxia or some other disorder like that, but thinking back maybe he has selective mutism.
    When we first meet him he doesn't reply to us at all and runs off nervously, however later on he speaks to just Marlon about walkers outside the gate. He also doesn't say much when Marlon dies, other than a comment about it being fucked up.
    He has a few other symptoms of it too.

• I wonder what Sophia Mini have that drove them to Ericksons boarding school?

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

That's something you do with out of control tweens and teens. None of them could have been more than 9, 10 tops when shit went down.

I can tell you with both absolute certainty and personal experience that 8-10 is more than old enough for kids to be... troubled, to say the least.

It's not like these schools are just limited to kids that constantly want to punch everyone, graffiti everything, swear at teachers and so on. Therapeutic boarding schools (the formal and less offensive term for places like Ericson) are meant to serve kids of various ages who suffer from a broad range of behavioral/social issues. "Troubled youth" is a relatively broad term in and of itself, as well. And the qualifications to get into schools like this aren't the highest to begin with. If parents are convinced enough that their kids aren't acting the way they 'should' be, a school like this will happily take them if the parents can make a compelling enough argument and/or lie about how little Timmy likes to urinate in the sink.

• edited October 2018

Yeah, I had to educate myself on it before I wrote the post but when I looked up I couldn't really relate any of the signs of ADHD to him. If anything I think that he was just bad as a kid and boarding school actually worked out for him.

Yeah, I don't really get that from him either. Not that I'd know too much about how it works, but still, the boy can clearly hold his focus on things.

• i mean, there’s a thing called hyperfocus? ppl with adhd usually don’t have problem with focusing on stuff they’re actually interested in as well. but yeah, as someone w adhd i don’t really see why louis would have it, he’s just loud

Yeah, I don't really get that from him either. Not that I'd know too much about how it works, but still, the boy can clearly hold his focus on things.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.