Those of you who read the comic do you still consider this series to be canon to the comic?

I know many/most of the people that post on here don't read the comic. But for those that do read the comic do you still consider the game series to be canon to it (or do you consider it to be a completely different universe than the comic takes place in)?

Technically it still 'officially' is canon to the comic (mainly though just to help sells out in my opinion) but it has really become extremely obvious at this point that the Telltale writers and Kirkman aren't writing these stories as if they were all part of one universe.

One of the biggest contradictory issues between the two medias right now is that if this game truly was fitting into the canon of the comic than Clementine really shouldn't be running into as many survivors (and small groups of people) as she is right now. The comic has made it very clear that the human population now (at least in the Virginia area) is extremely sparse and for the most part it seems the ones that are left have found their way into larger scale communities....ie….the Alexandria community system or huge community systems like the Commonwealth.

Magna's group spent nine months traveling roughly around the same areas that the game is taking place in now and they said they encountered no one while they were out there. Yet here we seemingly have Clementine encountering new people and other groups to fight virtually every day. Not only is Lilly's group supposedly out there but they are in a 'supposed' war with other smaller scale communities as well. All in just the state of Virginia and season 4 is also supposed to take place a couple years into the future of where the comic presently is when the human population should 'technically' be even lower than it is as of issue 189 of the comic.

So even though both stories are supposed to be taking place in the same universe it really doesn't seem like much effort is being put forth to line up the canon. What the game is doing really wouldn't be a big deal if the game series had decided to stay away from the area of the country where the comic is taking place at (because we really still have no idea what is going on in the comic universe outside of the few state area surrounding DC). Say if Telltale had chosen to take their series to the Midwest they could have done anything they wished without any problems. The only reason I think they chose to go into Virginia anyways was so they could have a comic tie-in as a marketing ploy.

So for you that both read the comic and play the game do you still consider it to be one universe? I used to like to think it was all taking place in one universe but once they decided to take the game into Virginia it really became obvious that little effort was being put forth to make it all one canon. So now in my mind the comic and the game are taking place in separate universes.

Comments

• I consider it as the same universe, just that I often forget as there is not a single reference to the telltale games in the comics, unless you count Magna’s Richmond reference of course, assuming she is talking about New Richmond and not the city. Part of me wishes the game was its own universe due to some of the pathways the comics have taken, being much darker, as the games are at least slightly more light-hearted to some extent.

• It is confirmed to be canon...

• edited January 2019

She wasn't referring to New Richmond. She lived in Richmond before the apocalypse and left as soon as the outbreak began because the news was telling people to try to get to DC. She didn't make it though and instead settled in a nursing home for a few years (where I assume she met Yumiko and the others).

So her comment about Richmond had absolutely nothing to do with New Richmond from the game. Infact the issue she said it in was released all the way back in 2014 which would have been made prior to much story even being written for ANF.

I agree about the tones of the two different medias. The game series really seems to be made for teens where as the comic is more aimed at adults.

To be honest I have my doubts that Kirkman even plays the games. Of course he knows about a character like Clementine but I wouldn't be surprised if that is about all he knows about the game series.

Melton23 posted: »

I consider it as the same universe, just that I often forget as there is not a single reference to the telltale games in the comics, unless

• I have not read the comics.

• Clementine can state in Episode 1 that there aren't that many people left.
    Also Clem and AJ traveled by car and searched around for supplies for quite some time supposedly without meeting anyone, before stumbling into the Ericson group.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, the only people they find are the kids in Ericson, which are not wandering too far anyway (Safe zone) and Lilly's people, which supposedly are part of a big community (So it would line up with what you said about people going into communities)

• edited January 2019

Yes it's canon,and i think Kirkman said in the letter hacks this month that he played Episode 3.

• edited January 2019

The game is most certainly canon in the comics universe for several reasons: Hershel and Glenn have their comic designs in S1, the mention of The Kingdom in ANF, James being a Whisperer and mentioning the raid of the Hilltop, Elodie’s appearance in the comics after the mini-series, And both Telltale AND Kirkman himself confirmed that it does take place in the same universe.

Virginia is a large state, my friend. For all we know, the boarding school can be on the very end of the state line whereas the comic setting is right on the border of Virginia and DC.

• edited January 2019

It's technically canon (likely because it gives an authentic stamp), but it's clear Kirkman doesn't give care what happens in the game and makes sure the game's continuity has no relevance to his comic's continuity (which is the actual true canon). Past Hershell and Glenn, the game is hardly canon.

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

The game is most certainly canon in the comics universe for several reasons: Hershel and Glenn have their comic designs in S1, the mention o

• i hope when kirkman plays the series he somehow gets too attached to a character or a concept of the game, and sees that it could match his future vision in the comics and develops a strong like/interest in to it enough to make him introduce it to his own series...

ahem, the delta... ahem.

iFoRias posted: »

Yes it's canon,and i think Kirkman said in the letter hacks this month that he played Episode 3.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.