What Characters Do You Hate and How Would You Fix Them?

List the characters you hated/found annoying/useless/boring. Explain your reasons why and how you would fix him/her.

Comments

• Holy shit, a thread that is not just another bed for idle hate mongerin and/or constructive!

• I see a lot of hate for characters but not a whole lot of reason why for some of them. I want to know why people hate these characters and what said character would have to do or what they could've done differently for them to be liked. You hate Lilly right? What would she have to do for you to like her? Or what could she have done differently in the past?

DabigRG posted: »

Holy shit, a thread that is not just another bed for idle hate mongerin and/or constructive!

• Dex-StarrDex-Starr Banned
    edited March 2019

Brie from S1. I get that you want to ensure the safety of your friends, but come on.

• So, for a bit of hypocritical humor, here's a list of characters I didn't really get on with over the years:

Katjaa Andy
    Justin Wyatt Eddie
    Rebecca Carver Jane
    David Mariana Badger Tripp jesus
    Mitch Minerva

• Hey, that's good man. Need some people who are willing to actually think about what happens with these games beyond the base "I like/don't like it" and especially "It's bad/good because I say so."

You hate Lilly right?

Uh, no actually.

I see a lot of hate for characters but not a whole lot of reason why for some of them. I want to know why people hate these characters and w

• Gabe (I don't hate him as a character, but moreso how his character was executed). I would've handled him the same way that AJ was handled. How you taught him, and how you treated him would change him drastically as the Season would progress.

• Can you name more specific characters, por favor?

• How would you change her character? What would you have her do to make up for how she treated Lee?

Dex-Starr posted: »

Brie from S1. I get that you want to ensure the safety of your friends, but come on.

• Characters that you personally didn't like.

Can you name more specific characters, por favor?

• Vale, but I cannot list all their names in my mind.

Characters that you personally didn't like.

• Vale?

Vale, but I cannot list all their names in my mind.

• Spanish for ‘okay’.

Vale?

• For me -
    Eleanor - didn't like how she betrays you which leads to Tripp getting caught and then proceeds to blame you for his death. If she didn't throw you under the bus that would've been great.
    Lilly - Didn't like how she was so emotionless but yet so evil. Don't act like Ronan, be more like Thanos. I would've had her show some emotion, a but of remorse or regret. An apology for killing Mitch would've been nice.

• Ah.

Spanish for ‘okay’.

• I’d script her to approach lee and apologize to him for telling Vernon to shoot him, and have her try to be as helpful as possible before she inevitably gets her guts ripped out

How would you change her character? What would you have her do to make up for how she treated Lee?

• If I see Alita, do you promise to listen to a Halestorm song of your choice?

I’d script her to approach lee and apologize to him for telling Vernon to shoot him, and have her try to be as helpful as possible before she inevitably gets her guts ripped out

• I will listen to 15 songs max if you see Alita.

If I see Alita, do you promise to listen to a Halestorm song of your choice?

• Seriously? Do you use Spotify?

I will listen to 15 songs max if you see Alita.

• Yeah

Seriously? Do you use Spotify?

• That's what it felt like he should've been on some level. He was honestly the perfect opportunity for them to fix the whole relationship[to choice] system.

patrickrc95 posted: »

Gabe (I don't hate him as a character, but moreso how his character was executed). I would've handled him the same way that AJ was handled. How you taught him, and how you treated him would change him drastically as the Season would progress.

• Okay because they have four albums and three cover EPs.

Yeah

• Arvo and how to fix him is by pressing the button DELETE.

• edited March 2019

Lilly.

It sucks because they did nothing interesting with her character,they barely even used that history Clem and Lilly have together so what was the point of her coming back ? Why did they had to bring her back and made her do all this shit when they could've done it with another new antagonist instead ?

You can't fix her character at this point it's over,she's probably gonna hunt down the group in EP4 if you kept her alive and we'll get another chance to kill her but this time Clem will kill her and not AJ or something like that.

As for other characters i don't like,i'm really done with the hot-headed characters like Kenny David or Tripp in general i'm glad they didn't have another one of those in TFS.

• Speaking of which...

iFoRias posted: »

Lilly. It sucks because they did nothing interesting with her character,they barely even used that history Clem and Lilly have together s

• What ?

DabigRG posted: »

Speaking of which...

• What would you like to have seen her do to make her more intriguing?

Lilly. It sucks because they did nothing interesting with her character,they barely even used that history Clem and Lilly have together s

• Oh shoot, I forgot to actually come back and do something with any character. The list was just supposed a joke.

The funny thing about certain characters(or more accurately, trusting people to apply this, but let's keep going) is that they either have negative traits that are somewhat integral for their character or are just meant to be disliked a bit anyway. So it can sometimes feel like a matter of changing a character to be a center way at the possible cost of changing them entirely. Which, on some level, I don't really feel that comfortable with.

Anyway, to actually do something with a character that doesn't fit either category, Katjaa is a character that(when I actually stopped to think about her) doesn't seem to stand out at all. She's Kenny's wife, Duck's mother, and a calm veterinarian acting as an impromptu medic for the group--that's kinda it. I mean, it sorta makes sense when you line her up with every other character:

• Lee is the protagonist and a convict trying to keep his regretful past a secret
    • Clementine is an astute little girl missing her parents who Lee decides to look after
    • Kenny is a hotheaded redneck who'll do what has to to protect his family and challenges Lily's decisions
    • Lilly is the group's brusque leader who tries to keep the group stable while looking after her temperamental dad
    • Ben is a nervous teenager who's class was terrorized by bandits for weeks and has an awkward time getting on with the group
    • Larry is an antagonistic veteran with a heart condition who knows Lee's past and is primarily concerned with protecting his daughter
    • Carley is a crackshot reporter who remembers the story of Lee's conviction and decides to keep it a secret in order to keep the group from becoming more unstable
    • Doug is a strange yet heroic technician who uses his skills to find ways to help defend the group
    • Duck is Kenny's hyperactive and not too bright son who normally isn't phased by much
    • Mark is a helpful soldier who joins the group after they come to his rescue at a nearby base
      Most of them have some combination a major role, engaging characterization, and/or interesting background in addition to their relationships to make them stand out. Katjaa kinda doesn't for the most part and one may also struggle a bit saying she stands out for not standing out.

As for how I coud go about fixing her? Idk. Maybe it's generally because I don't like to touch Season 1, but I seem to blank coming up with ways to add to her character without making her a little too far-reaching. I guess maybe having her interact with characters like Carley/Doug, and Ben a decent bit on the side, thus keeping her from feeling to boxed in to her role.

• edited March 2019

Either completely change her role this season or keep her as an antagonist but do it right.

And about that,i don't understand she was apparently in a less antagonistic role at first then they changed it because it felt flat but what they ended up doing with her in the end is even worse,she's just a one-note pathetically handled sociopath.

I think she should've been in a more "grey" area,they should've used that history Lilly and Clem have together way more (still can't believe we couldn't even talk about Kenny for fuck's sake) have her be more reasonable,at one point in EP3 you can say that you'll join if she stops hurting people but she doesn't care and still tells someone else to cut off Violet/Louis finger its dumb lol.

My ideas probably suck but i definitely think they could've done a better job with Lilly,i mean they did it right with Norma and that game was a mini-series so what the hell happened ?
    To quote Lilly "Such a fucking waste!"

What would you like to have seen her do to make her more intriguing?

• Meme

What ?

• I think why Norma was better villain was because she wasn't really a villian (if that makes sense). She wasn't an evil person but circumstances put you at odds with her and she was totally in the right. Sam took her shit twice and Norma just wanted it back. But Lilly put herself in her situation. Her whole goal is to fuck your shit up.

Either completely change her role this season or keep her as an antagonist but do it right. And about that,i don't understand she was app

• edited March 2019

I think that's an interesting way to look at it. Make Lily more like Norma. If I go on to the real storyline changes, and this is something that I can definitely do, it would mean I'd have to change the whole story, and I plan on doing that but only after Episode 4 comes out.

I think why Norma was better villain was because she wasn't really a villian (if that makes sense). She wasn't an evil person but circumstan

• You can't fix her character at this point it's over,she's probably gonna hunt down the group in EP4 if you kept her alive and we'll get another chance to kill her but this time Clem will kill her and not AJ or something like that.

Yea, she’s definitely gonna hunt down Clementine and the boarding kids. But honestly, I would be surprised if they didn’t give her some sort of moment that humanizes her and maybe explains/analyzes what happened to her that made her become who she is in TFS (kinda as a reward to players who spared her). I just don’t see them doing (basically) the same thing as Suffer the Children.

• I wanted to do another one several minutes ago since I was in a upheld mood, but the moment has sort of passed.

I will say that I do believe I have a couple of previous posts about improving some characters out there, so those might be worth tracking down when I get the chance.

I also occurs to me that I made a thread of this general theme once but failed to really get much done in it. Was likely last year, given how unproductive I was and in current times, still is. Regardless, good job again!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.