Lilly VS James Route (EP 4 SPOILERS)

To me sounds like Lilly was bad handled during this episode. i mean, we only get 2 minutes of dialogue and she just walk away, again. It would be nice if she was with clem during that cave scene, or appeared after, when clem gets bitten, to help her get back to the school. Lilly cutting off clem's leg to save her would be nice, and kinda redeem herself.

While James route looks ok to me. He gets more screen time, he complains about AJ, you fight with him, argue, and in the end he still helps you.

There are right choices in Telltale games sometimes (like let AJ atack Dorian so Violet/Louis dont lose a finger) in this situation the game make it look like AJ shooting Lilly was the right choice, because James route was better developed during EP 4

I hate Lilly, but even so, i know she deserved better for those who spared her. You can tell she regrets some things done by her facial expression.

Comments

• Would have been nice to see her again, ut those 2 minutes after was just not satisfying...which she had more screen time then James.

• edited March 2019

It was little weird how the determinant characters the writers were banking on the most drama and/or investment got some of the least payoff.

Which, in this case, was practically for the better--Lilith was already screwed up and they used her brief appearance to try and salvage it at the last minute, while James was much more developed and intriguing even if he was relatively okay.

Which just goes to show for the umpteenth time how bad and/or lazily written the story was compared to the characters, who can be pretty solid in themselves when they're not suffering from it.

• edited March 2019

James can determinantly piss off, so technically he doesn’t have to help you. You have to choose the right dialogue during that scene to get him to stay

• James was handled absolutely poorly in the finale if you chose to save him which i strongly disliked. He had a radical 180 character shift and he went from being a genuinely enjoyable and interesting character to a generic Telltale walking dead character where it doesn't matter how good of a relationship you have or how you do everything they ask of you that god forbid ONE chose you disagree with them on turns you into the origin of evil in the universe.

Despite loyally siding with James through the ENTIRE season and even agreeing with his ideology that he completely disregards ALL of that and acts as if i was a heartless killer that reveled in death and destruction wanting AJ to turn into a monster. James becomes devoid of all rational reasoning and logic which James did have and his 'arc' in the finale turned him into an irrational antagonistic character all for the sake of generating the most abrupt and forced drama I've seen in an extended amount of time in TWD universe. James may live a life of pacifism, but James is not a childishly moronic fool that thinks that there are people such as Lily who deserved to die and would continue to have been a looming threat to everyone had she remained alive. And to add to this horrible arc James had he just vanishes into the forest to never be seen or heard of again no matter what you say or do. Out of all of the questionable and poorly written parts of the finale THIS was one of the more aggravating parts of the finale for me.

The way James was handled in the finale was completely pisspoor and severely botched making your choice to save him seemingly meaningless and turning him into a almost Kenny like character where its my way or no way and if you oppose that then you are the root of all evil in his eyes.

• To me sounds like Lilly was bad handled during this episode

She was handled like shit during the whole game,her last interaction was good though implying you don't try to shoot her three times like a retard and actually talk to her. Yeah i also wish that depending on how "nice" you were to her she'd come back to help Clem in some way but that's too much to ask for these shitty writers.

James gets more screentime than Lilly which is good but has to disappear like Lilly for the story to move on so they ran out of ideas and forced some conflict with him. Not really surprised i predicted that he'd try to kidnap AJ for killing Lilly but they still handled it like shit.

• i agree james was badly handled but Lily being dead wasnt the point James was trying to make: it was that AJ killed Lily specifically.

Chibikid posted: »

James was handled absolutely poorly in the finale if you chose to save him which i strongly disliked. He had a radical 180 character shift a

• The problem was it was so rapidly abrupt and a radical 180 shift of James's entire character for the sake of forced tension which failed terribly.

iFoRias posted: »

To me sounds like Lilly was bad handled during this episode She was handled like shit during the whole game,her last interaction was

• It was a swift moment choice and James was unable to and Tenn couldn't do it either leaving AJ as the only one with the intent to do so. I know James couldn't be that ignorantly naive to think sparing Lily at that moment would've done anything but come back haunt them and only pose a more pressing threat.

UrbanRodrik posted: »

i agree james was badly handled but Lily being dead wasnt the point James was trying to make: it was that AJ killed Lily specifically.

• Is it?

The problem was it was so rapidly abrupt and a radical 180 shift of James's entire character for the sake of forced tension which failed terribly.

• To me it was. James didn't just have a radical persona shift, but he became just flat out idiotic and devoid of any logical reasoning. No matter what you've done or said or even try to explain to him means nothing to him because he's all of a sudden on a righteous crusade to cleanse AJ to 'save' him which that in of itself is pure comical.

Not to mention that James should have realized that had Lily remained alive that eventually she would return with a larger fleet and seize any opportunity {as shown in EP4} to survive at any cost and to capture/kill the remaining kids. And James could've been the one to kill Lily if he was so 'concerned' for AJ's psyche of 'one more' kill that would turn him into miniature Charles Manson. Not to also mention that AJ at some point would/will have to kill more people to which I would have loved to have heard James's opposition. I mean he became just flat out ignorantly delusion living a mythical fantasy of reality that he himself as a veteran survivor should know is factually an impossibility.

DabigRG posted: »

Is it?

• Eh, I'm not sure I see that.

On the latter point at least, I do wonder what he would've done had things not happened the way they did.

To me it was. James didn't just have a radical persona shift, but he became just flat out idiotic and devoid of any logical reasoning. No ma

• Aj is definitely one of my favorite characters.

• It would make sense if he said that he gives up with Clem and AJ, and he walks off, but with how he thinks that 'it's not too late for AJ' and that he can still change him doesn't make sense. The violence was pointless there, they definitely should've changed the direction his character went in.

To me it was. James didn't just have a radical persona shift, but he became just flat out idiotic and devoid of any logical reasoning. No ma

• edited April 2019

Not really if you've loyally sided with him since day 1 yet one choice destroys their friendship and James's faith in Clementine.

That's arguably worse character relationship development then the Lily/Kenny meat locker decision.

Ghetsis posted: »

It would make sense if he said that he gives up with Clem and AJ, and he walks off, but with how he thinks that 'it's not too late for AJ' a

• Those are little things, and as Telltale players we just accept that stuff, because sometimes it sort of makes sense. It's like when you're good friends with someone and you do all these favours for people and you agree with their thoughts but they asked something big like, to not break a promise or keep a secret, and when you do, it seems like they forget all the little things you did for him. Even if you do kill the walkers, James still gets along with you. He only doesn't when AJ kills Lily, and in Episode 3 he warns Clem of his fears that one more kill will put AJ over the edge and change him. The main thing that doesn't make sense is how he suddenly drags AJ away with him and beats up Clem, like that's going to do anything. AJ would probably kill James the first chance he gets.

Not really if you've loyally sided with him since day 1 yet one choice destroys their friendship and James's faith in Clementine. That's arguably worse character relationship development then the Lily/Kenny meat locker decision.

• How does James actually believe that for the ENTIRETY of AJ's life he will not have to kill someone? The whole idea of "One kill" will send him over the edge is ridiculous since he may have to kill someone to protect himself and others.

My problem is how this isn't just a James issue, but an issue that has been noticeable since S1. An entire friendship is destroyed or suddenly you're public enemy number one over a single disagreement no matter what the reason is. And with James it really didn't make sense with how the situation played out.

Ghetsis posted: »

Those are little things, and as Telltale players we just accept that stuff, because sometimes it sort of makes sense. It's like when you're

• Yup. Like if you're going to break a friendship or alliance over something, it better not be something as dumb as this. There was nothing wrong with killing Lily.

How does James actually believe that for the ENTIRETY of AJ's life he will not have to kill someone? The whole idea of "One kill" will send

• the Lily/Kenny meat locker decision.

Really now?

Not really if you've loyally sided with him since day 1 yet one choice destroys their friendship and James's faith in Clementine. That's arguably worse character relationship development then the Lily/Kenny meat locker decision.

• Yes. That one choice nearly dictates your entire relationship between the two despite who you sided with or favored before.

You could have been nothing but supportive of Kenny and defended duck in the drug store, however if you don't side with him in the meat locker he'll leave you for dead.

the Lily/Kenny meat locker decision. Really now?

• I thought it was just Kenny(as I witnessed the reverse of on my incomplete third playthrough)?

Yes. That one choice nearly dictates your entire relationship between the two despite who you sided with or favored before. You could hav

• It's both of them, but it's more prominent with Kenny over Lily.

I thought it was just Kenny(as I witnessed the reverse of on my incomplete third playthrough)?

• Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Season 1 in a while because of course, but I seem to recall there being an outright "Fuck you Lee" type of scene with her from a video or something, whereas the closest I remember from my own there was "It wasn't much of a secret" or something along that line.

It's both of them, but it's more prominent with Kenny over Lily.

• And that’s why I spared Lily and let her turn into a walker .

Melton23 posted: »

James can determinantly piss off, so technically he doesn’t have to help you. You have to choose the right dialogue during that scene to get him to stay

Sign in to comment in this discussion.