One last time.... Did our choices actually matter?

2»

Comments

• edited April 2019

So we would basically get several not-so-great endings, pick the lesser evil basically. I still don't think it's a good idea and I think guaranteeing Clem closure for all playthroughs while having some of the kids be determinant was a smart move.

Still wouldn't be the "best ending" and no one who isn't a 12 year old would claim it as such just because Clem survives in it.

• edited April 2019

So basically anybody who disagrees with you?

Still wouldn't be the "best ending" and no one who isn't a 12 year old would claim it as such just because Clem survives in it.

• edited April 2019

That's what TWD has been about and and the multiple endings to S2 and S3 are all that. Compromised and bittersweet.

it being a smart move is irrelevant if this is indeed the "FINAL" season meaning Clementine's story will never be revisited again.

With that knowledge, giving Clementine "guaranteed closure" should be a determinant choice among several other diverse choices... you know, in a game about narrative choice. Where are we going to import this happy ending anyway? It's over.

I'm not saying remove the ending we got. I'm saying just make it as the result of the choices and decisions you made along the way. And add other alternative endings.

I bet you literally no one felt they worked for this ending. It was just given to us. It wasn't an accomplishment you strived for. Didn't matter how you played, how you raised AJ, how you controlled Clem. You just received it, just because.

So we would basically get several not-so-great endings, pick the lesser evil basically. I still don't think it's a good idea and I think guaranteeing Clem closure for all playthroughs while having some of the kids be determinant was a smart move.

• edited April 2019

Look I see what you're saying, it would have been cool for Telltales last game to go all out on choices and endings. I'm just pointing out that multiple widely varying endings would likely just infuriate and alienate a lot of players when Clem dies in their game. The stakes were super fucking high for the finale... I can see why they chose the safe route that would guarantee a happy ending for all players instead of risking the series reputation on a finale full of choices returning with a vengeance to destroy you and give you the ending you deserve.

That's what TWD has been about and and the multiple endings to S2 and S3 are all that. Compromised and bittersweet. it being a smart move

• What are the fans gonna do if they had received multiple endings? Burn Telltale down? Oh wait...

Seen many tweens go "I DON'T CARE IF THE ENDING IS CHEAP OR LAZILY WRITTEN CLEM IS ALIVEEEE!" on the subreddit.

Looks as though if TT had written Clementine riding off into the sunset with a unicorn it would be just as easily accepted.

Sentimentality will never overrride lazy writing for me. That's all.

Look I see what you're saying, it would have been cool for Telltales last game to go all out on choices and endings. I'm just pointing out t

• Season 1 had the most sales of all Telltale games by a landslide. If I remember their sales figures correctly it was Walking Dead Season 1, Season 2, Wolf Among Us, Tales, GOT, then it was everything else getting to a point where no real profit was being made, to just breaking even, to making no money at all.

Pretty much all Telltale choices after Tales and GOT is what lead them down the wrong path as the sales were getting pretty low, then after ANF their games just died and no one was buying them.

Yes Batman 2 was part of this problem too, but doing its split episode wasnt what lead to their closure. Batman 2 basically had 6 episodes, if they only did one episode 5, there would be only 5 episodes, meaning they would have a "budget" left in reserved for Walking Dead Final Season, so in the end Telltale would have just died after episode 3 released, and even then considering sales for all those games were low, that probably wouldnt have even happened, and they would have shut down at the same time anyway.

Melton23 posted: »

I didn’t say that’s why they died, I said it played a part. And it did. It lost them money, and the 2 pieces of episode 5 thing that they di

• To be fair it seems like Telltales sales have been on a steady decline after S1 of TWD.

It seems as if Telltale caught lighting in a bottle with S1 and despite how good some of their other games were that they were never quite able to recapture the success S1 brought them. Starting from S2 the sales of TWD was distinctly less then that of S1 and ANF performed quite poorly compared to S2 and TFS seems to have performed with mild success.

iFoRias posted: »

It sold like shit because the other games they made fucking sucked ass. They lost their entire reputation with ANF and GOTG and another shi

• It's weird that with a successive first entry in S1, the subsequent seasons simply plummeted and plummeted further in sales instead of rising and making more than S1 or reaching its similar peak.

The usual assumption is that sequels rake in more money than the debut. Somehow that worked entirely opposite for TT.

Chibikid posted: »

To be fair it seems like Telltales sales have been on a steady decline after S1 of TWD. It seems as if Telltale caught lighting in a bott

• You can say that again.

No; they are an illusion.

• Ikr, not supprising

Nope. As usual

• Okay; they are an illusion, lol. xo

You can say that again.

• Eh, no for the most part.

• Look, it's hard to properly pinpoint exactly what led to the downfall, but it is evident that the updated engine games were selling worse, and these games were also when Dan Connors stepped down. They just weren't popular enough, weren't making enough.

The way to go is probably to have done only 1 or 2 games a year. S1-2012, S2-2013, TFS-2014 (reworked so that it was a Wellington story and the last Season, finishing out a renowned trilogy of Walking Dead Games) after that, the executives get smart with their money and never really expand, staying from 100-200 employees, doing 1 to 2 projects at a time and a small crew working on porting games to Next Gen and Mobile. But they'd should've also done some other big things, namely with doing a few new IP's that are innovative alongside the norm, selling them as Only Season Passes at 35 to 40 dollars. Even if their games didn't hit the greater market, as long as those titles would be really good then their fanbase would be inclined to spend money on their games, maybe even doing a 'Telltale Gold' membership for supporters to get cool benefits. And of course, adding Collectibles, a good over-the-shoulder camera, a good combat system, better graphics (I actually prefer old Telltale graphics on next-gen platforms to the new TT graphics) as well as keeping systems like Rewind and Save Files and expanding on them with features like Fast Forward.

So 2015 would be Minecraft and a new IP, 2016 would be Tales and a new IP, (I don't really think GoT could work, unless it were a headcanon game but that would be biased to viewers/readers) 2017 would be Batman and a new IP, 2018 would be TWAU and a new IP, and 2019 would be Stranger Things and a new IP. Those new IP's could also have multiple seasons.

Poogers555 posted: »

Season 1 had the most sales of all Telltale games by a landslide. If I remember their sales figures correctly it was Walking Dead Season 1,

• Yes. Every single choice, including all dialogue options had huge long lasting effects throughout all seasons, including Michonne

• Right... xo

Yes. Every single choice, including all dialogue options had huge long lasting effects throughout all seasons, including Michonne

• Yeah, that was my assessment as well.
    Have two games the staff put their all into per development period, with one in actual releasing production and the second one being early concept stages.

Ghetsis posted: »

Look, it's hard to properly pinpoint exactly what led to the downfall, but it is evident that the updated engine games were selling worse, a

• I just wish Telltale didn't waste their time on some of their games

We all could of gone without MCSM s2, Michonne, GOTG and ANF.

Ghetsis posted: »

Look, it's hard to properly pinpoint exactly what led to the downfall, but it is evident that the updated engine games were selling worse, a

• Nah, keep Michonne and 'A New Frontier'. xo

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

I just wish Telltale didn't waste their time on some of their games We all could of gone without MCSM s2, Michonne, GOTG and ANF.

• Michonne and GOTG could go. ANF should have been more Clem, less Javi. MCSM2 was better than the original so that could stay

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

I just wish Telltale didn't waste their time on some of their games We all could of gone without MCSM s2, Michonne, GOTG and ANF.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.