Great Read by byjohnsmith.com : "Ranking EVERY Character in Telltale's The Walking Dead"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/byjohnsmith.com/2019/04/20/twdrank/amp/

Really goes into a depth of every character that none of us have the time or energy to do. I dont agree with all of it (Violet > Kenny??) but it's a well thought article and a solid analysis of every character.

For those of y'all too lazy to read it here's his top 10

1. Clem
  2. Lee
  3. AJ
  4. Violet
  5. Kenny
  6. Javi
  7. Louis
  8. Carver
  9. Luke
  10. Omid

Comments

• edited April 2019

ByJohnSmith, huh? Hmph.
    Mostly Main Characters, I see.
    Why is Violet so high?

EDIT: Cheese and Rice, the list is 131 long!
    And why is Bonnie the low?
    Oh, they're honestly breezing through most of these. Alright then.
    Also, I can see my icon--it's a WordPress site!

• edited April 2019

Wow don't wanna be rude but this list is bad.

By the way Lee should be in first place in every list that's a fucking fact he's one of the best protagonists i've ever seen for a game and he only had one game.
    Compared to Clementine who is (and i'm gonna get a lot of hate for this lol) a pretty bland character overall and got butchered in ANF she really doesn't deserve to be in first place imo.

Also yeah Violet being better than Kenny is a weird choice,i do agree with him saying that Jane deserved better though so it's all good i guess.

• edited April 2019

And why is Bonnie so low?

When you mention Bonnie some people call her a "snake" and have a very low opinion of her in general. Blame that on S2 EP5 i guess.

DabigRG posted: »

ByJohnSmith, huh? Hmph. Mostly Main Characters, I see. Why is Violet so high? EDIT: Cheese and Rice, the list is 131 long! And why is

• Violet is so high because she's gorgeous

ByJohnSmith, huh? Hmph. Mostly Main Characters, I see. Why is Violet so high? EDIT: Cheese and Rice, the list is 131 long! And why is

• edited April 2019

I editted why you were replying to say THE low.
    Still, I'd say she's an okay well-developed character that can dip that way depending on what you focus on.

iFoRias posted: »

And why is Bonnie so low? When you mention Bonnie some people call her a "snake" and have a very low opinion of her in general. Blame that on S2 EP5 i guess.

• They say love is blind.

Violet is so high because she's gorgeous

• edited April 2019

They included fucking *Bob on the list!

EDIT: Oh...they're one of those players. Okay.
    Also, lol at Helen's screenshot.

• edited April 2019

List is kinda inconsistent. The guy would say “I like this character, they seemed nice” then further up the list they were like “annoying asshole, glad they’re gone”. What’s the deal with that? Don’t get me wrong, they put together a cool list nonetheless and I enjoyed reading it. Also what is this ranked by? Characters who are dicks or wasted? Cos it seems that Badger and Bonnie are low down because he hates them as people, but why tf is Lilly, Carver, Minerva and all that so high up?

• It's kinda the problem of a list like this... a character may be annoying, or evil, or stupid, but they're written to be that way, and they're written well.
    It gets even more complicated when you're ranking characters that have 30 seconds of screentime. If we made a similar list, we would run into the same problems

Melton23 posted: »

List is kinda inconsistent. The guy would say “I like this character, they seemed nice” then further up the list they were like “annoying as

• Yeah, I couldn't help but notice that after the fifties.

Without naming anyone as a reference, he initially/mostly came off as one of those fans who talk up characters who are either some level of glorified jerk and/or "badass" or just overall appealing/helpful to them. There were deviations here and there early on, but when you also see things like Boyd and Joyce being ranked worst and best of the Cancer Trio respectively, yeah.

The list does sparse out after that point, though all three assessments still apply a fair amount.

List is kinda inconsistent. The guy would say “I like this character, they seemed nice” then further up the list they were like “annoying as

• Some of the reasoning is really odd. Like Nate is low seemingly because he was a great character but wasn’t in it enough. That still makes him a great character. Others who barely had a name are higher and yet described as worse characters.

• Ironic seeing how she ended up

They say love is blind.

• Oh-ho, FUCK!

Ironic seeing how she ended up

• I bet you're the kinda guy who likes ladies with scars ;)

Oh-ho, FUCK!

• Violet at Number 4 and Javi on the list at all

• Quite a lot of people liked Javier

Poogers555 posted: »

Violet at Number 4 and Javi on the list at all

• Javier doesn't even have a personality to him, hes blank the entire season. Theres not even 3 words that could describe who he is as a character accurately.

Quite a lot of people liked Javier

• Pretty sure “batter up, fuckface” and “I hope you choke on your fucking cake” sum his personality up pretty easily. He is a cocky wisecracker that the walking dead needed more of, especially with dealing with Clementine for 4 seasons. When you think of Clementine, what personality would you give her? Because I guarantee she shares a few traits with Javier, such as perhaps maybe protective, kind, family-oriented, badass, etc. That’s probably why they got along so well, and connected better, rather than Javier being closer to Tripp or Conrad, it’s because he can related to Clementine, pretty much being the exact same as her, other than the fact that he’s funny and she just isn’t. The only problem being that he didn’t have enough screen time, with the lengths of the ANF episodes, as well as where the overall story went in the end, to be as fleshed out as people would have liked, then he was forgotten about, but even at the end of the game we can discover whether he has the personality of a leader or a deserter.

Javier does have quite a bit of depth to him, and Ik you disliked a new frontier, and probably only played it once, but trust me, I have played it quite a few times and I’ve noticed that Javier is more than a “Hispanic family man with a bat”

Javier doesn't even have a personality to him, hes blank the entire season. Theres not even 3 words that could describe who he is as a character accurately.

• Wisecracking, accommodating, and reliable.

Javier doesn't even have a personality to him, hes blank the entire season. Theres not even 3 words that could describe who he is as a character accurately.

• I agree: Mary-Jane is more unique. xo

• Hes really none of that. Everything he says or does is dropped after it happens and has no change in his character. Be nice the whole time, bash some guys head in, back to being nice, no one cares, Javi doesnt care, nothing changes. Like nothing changes him from just being blank. Something happens, he just does something and then no one talks about what he did or Javi change from what he did. He is so void of personality that he can literally do anything because it changes nothing, meaning its impossible for him to "break character" because he doesnt have one to break in the first place. Hes just kinda there doing whatever. They could have used his depth in an interesting way as well. Former baseball player kicked out for gambling. He has a well known reputation that Conrad knew, they could have done a bit more with it. Like its strange he was kicked out for gambling but its not mentioned after episode 1 only mentioned again in ep 5 during a flashback. Could have done something interesting with him being a gambling addict, taking big risk or anything really.

(Also Javier is my fav character to come out of ANF. Hes really bland and blank like I said, but honestly its better to be blank than be the rest of the cast which were all just unlikable and boring when youre suppose to be rooting for them.)

Pretty sure “batter up, fuckface” and “I hope you choke on your fucking cake” sum his personality up pretty easily. He is a cocky wisecracke

• edited April 2019

Getting deja vu here--can you define or explain or I guess apply "having a personality/character"?

Hes really none of that. Everything he says or does is dropped after it happens and has no change in his character. Be nice the whole time,

• Just because actions don’t have consequences doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a personality or emotions. His character is whatever the player wants, he is no neutral, he can be evil, he can be good, he can be charismatic but he is either way family oriented, so he definitely is “one of those” that I listed, and he can be a wisecracker, there are plenty instances in the game that prove that. I’m not going to make assumptions as to why you’d think otherwise, contrary to the blatant evidence within the game, cos I don’t rlly wanna start nothing rn.

But in my honest opinion, and from what I’ve seen in the game, Javier does stand out among the rest of the cast, him and Clementine are the only ones we see express any real emotion other than just anger and the odd spurt of happiness some characters may have.

Hes really none of that. Everything he says or does is dropped after it happens and has no change in his character. Be nice the whole time,

Sign in to comment in this discussion.