Telltale Starting The Wolf Among Us 2 From Scratch... And it's for the best...

2»

Comments

• edited January 2020

Well I am aware he is in Europe but if I remember correctly its never stated he had never ever been to Fabletown before Fables #1. If this is the case they could squeeze him in if they really wanted but like I said just in general I dont think he really has a role to fill if they made a Wolf 2 as Charming's character is heavily set in motion on what he will do in Fabletown in the very first issue, so not sure how introducing him in Wolf 2 would make sense to do, let alone if he canonically could.

And I was thinking that too. But I feel like we wont "leave" Fabletown. We may just explore parts outside the Fabletown part of the city like upstate New York or Manhattan, Hell maybe the game starts with tracking down the Jersey Devil in New Jersey. I just dont think we will go that far away, we'll still be in that New York area range.

CoolGuyJ posted: »

With Charming, I think @HazzatheMan (he doesn't really come around the forums anymore, but I do talk with him every now and then on Faceboo

• edited January 2020

True. Though, I'd be interested if they would have him travel overseas (though I guess it will be totally up to TTG) partly for gameplay reasons also.

Bigby fears flying, so it's pretty obvious he'll take a ship/boat (should he ever travel overseas). If on the journey the ship gets in an accident (either a storm or some other means), & capsizes, forcing Bigby to save himself & possibly others could be a really interesting gameplay situation (new gameplay mechanic - swim, especially with Bigby being able to breathe such extended time in the water).

Poogers555 posted: »

Well I am aware he is in Europe but if I remember correctly its never stated he had never ever been to Fabletown before Fables #1. If this i

• How would it even break immersion for you? You are already here arent you? For startes Glamours dont even exist in the comics or at least they havent been mentioned yet and I got pretty far on the comics until I dropped them cause they felt "super edgy and "le grimdark " not noir comfy mystery like wolf among us. So the canon comics being tied to wolf among us its already a mute point. They cant be because of that simple fact, specially when Glamours are such a big deal.

Your example of batman its pure coping.And you just set an example for what I am refering. The Batman animated series uses the comics as a source for material and inspiration, whilst it tries to follow a similar line to its "canon story" which is what wolf among us should do. The amount of writters it's redundant, because otherwise you are just going to create a huge clusterfuck which is why people these days would rather read manga "which you just need to pick volume one go from there" than be confused about what the hell is going on with the comic verse.

As for cindy, if the bigby from wolf among us would have told Cindy to arrest Crane's bony ass and bring him to fable town, not keep tabs on him just to dispose of him.

Everything else that you said is redundant to the topic.

What you're basically referring to is TTG basically making another completely different universe (i.e. Alternate universe) where player's Bi

• Yes, it restricts because they cant do anything that happens in the comics much later, including character development - even the character of Bigby its more mellow and benevolent in Wolf Among us than in the fables comics.

And to what canon are you refering exactly? to be tied down to fit perfectly within the comics? It cant really because glamours are non existant in the comic books, or at least not as far as where I reached. So this whole "comic canon" its a mute point.
    Also what is the point of following it to the letter? You already have the comics to tell that story, may as well try something different with this adaptation just like a tv show or a movie.

To be fair Wolf Among Us is a noir game because of the comics, it wasn't just Telltale's completely original idea. The early Fable's issues

• Your point is redundant. That would be like saying "batman animated series should follow exactly what happens in the comics and have no room to make anything new. Which makes this whole endavour a boring enterprise. You already have the comics to tell the story of Fables, so why not let tell tale to tell their own adaptation?
    So writters encourage this as they see it as a chance to explore other possibilities or fix things that they would have rather done different looking back over the years.
    Then again, there are no glamours in the comic books.

Having some restrictions/rules in place due to canon I think pressures the writers to think creatively with their narratives while keeping i

• edited January 2020

Glamours are in the comics, Telltale chose to expand on it, which if anything is a perfect example on how Telltale can easily add and expand this world while remaining cannon to the comics. I dont want to sound rude but a lot of the points you bring up come off way more like you are choosing to be very closed minded on the situation rather than an actual point for why they shouldn't be cannon to the comics.

The comics basically set up rules for the universe, and its silly to just ignore them all as now this unique world becomes boring and not like a real world at all. Like I've said before, seems the biggest reasons why people want it to break cannon is so theres a Snow Bigby romance, Bigby can go to the Farm, and the issue of knowing who lives or dies. But you said it yourself, this is a different story. Wolf Among Us is much different from Fables, it tells its own thing while still being part of Fables. This story isnt about Bigby and Snow getting together. It isnt about Bigby going to the Farm. Its a murder mystery, that is the main plot. Tonally having things like Bigby and Snow get together wouldnt be the right call. Going to the farm needs to make sense in the story, and again if they want to, Bigby can go to the farm as long as the story checks off certain circumstances that work in this world and benefits the story. As for things like knowing who lives or dies, thats why the vast majority of characters arnt from Fables, they are original characters that you wont know their fate.

Lupecral posted: »

Yes, it restricts because they cant do anything that happens in the comics much later, including character development - even the character

• edited January 2020

I feel like I'm one of the few people out there who doesn't want a Snow/Bigby romance option. I never really liked the pairing to begin with, but on top of that, it's just boring. You know they're going to get together in the comics, it's inevitable. Telltale has a chance to do something different with a prequel, so why not just let that stay in the comics where it belongs and focus on Bigby's relationships with other characters?

I'm surprised how many people have picked up on the chemistry between him and Nerissa. I'd love to see more of that with him and another character. It doesn't have to lead to anything serious, just tension — like the relationship between him and Faith/Nerissa, or Bruce and Avesta in Batman, or Lee and Carley in TWD. Cindy could fill that role very easily. So could Rose Red, if the writers are willing to get creative and actually develop that relationship. She's Snow's foil, and if the last arc in the comics mean anything, she has some sort of feelings for Bigby even if they're horribly unhealthy, on top of them both having the same kind of development with the way Telltale writes Bigby: both of them are characters who've done bad things in their past and are looking for atonement, although in Rose's case, she hasn't grown out of that during the time period TWAU takes place.

Glamours are in the comics, Telltale chose to expand on it, which if anything is a perfect example on how Telltale can easily add and expand

• edited January 2020

Here's are the proof that glamours exist in the comics:

From main comic (Reynard the Fox, receiving the ability to transform between his new human form & his original fox form from the witch Ozma, & she references glamour):

And if my memory serves me right, they also deal with the issue extensively in the volume 5 of "Fairest" series in "Clamor for Glamour." (and yes, Fairest, while being a spinoff comic, is canon to the main comics, being part of the Fables universe).

No offense, but had you read the comics to the end (even if you didn't read the spinoff Fairest, and just finished the main series), you would have known the above (EDIT added later: also the first couple volumes of main series shows Fables using glamour like booper mentions in his comment below. Been awhile since I read the comics so I didn't remember at first but fact of matter is, there is glamour in the comics). To add, even if you didn't finish the comics, had you done a simple search online, you would have known lol.

Regarding all your other points, I disagree completely. And I could go on and on making counter arguments (and you probably will as well, I'd imagine), but as I've said to @booper above, I'm just gonna stop here (hell, I didn't even think about joining this debate until you started direct replying to my old comment lol).
    Pointless to have a debate that's endlessly gonna go around in circles.

Lupecral posted: »

How would it even break immersion for you? You are already here arent you? For startes Glamours dont even exist in the comics or at least th

• edited January 2020

Hey, keep me out of this. Like I said before, I don't mind debating the differences between the comics and game in a civil, constructive manner. And I definitely don't share that guy's opinion because anyone, even people who've only read THE FIRST VOLUME OF FABLES should know that glamours exist. Grimble the security guard uses a glamour; you see him change out of it when he and Snow go to rescue Bigby from Bluebeard in Legends In Exile. So does Bluebeard's troll butler. So do the giants from Animal Farm who become the new Three Little Pigs. These are all things shown in the first several issues.

I'm of the opinion that if you're going to take a controversial stance to an argument you should at least know what you're talking about before you go all brave and bold with your opinions.

Here's are the proof that glamours exist in the comics: From main comic (Reynard the Fox, receiving the ability to transform between his

• edited January 2020

Not trying to get you in this convo (nor was I trying to group you with him, apologies if it sounded that way), but merely just directing the other guy to my previous reply to you, specifically this comment (link):

https://community.telltale.com/discussion/comment/3035061/#Comment_3035061

booper posted: »

Hey, keep me out of this. Like I said before, I don't mind debating the differences between the comics and game in a civil, constructive man

• edited January 2020

I love the Snigby dynamic, but I don't want them to be romancing in TWAU series because (in addition to breaking the canon), that kinda ruins/spoils the surprise/dynamic of them getting together later in the comics.

Plus, like @Poogers555 mentioned (several times in fact), it just wouldn't fit in terms of tone, & Bigby is much more interesting (in game play) as a lone wolf character anyway, as someone who is not in a full romance mode (for me that sort of detracts from his character in this part of his life).

To be honest, I'd probably be even willing to say that I don't want Bigby to be romancing anyone (though I'm perfectly fine with them teasing, with scenes like non-Snow characters giving Bigby a peck on the cheek [like Faith did], hold hands [can apply to Snow, and all female characters], and perhaps embrace also [as long as it doesn't lead to sexual encounters], as long as it doesn't result in something like what happened in Selina's apartment in Batman Telltale season 1).

I think with Rose Red, one canon thing that's gotta be considered is that she has (before meeting Boy Blue on the Farm later in the comics) been constantly on on-and off again relationship with Jack.
    Also, I'd like to see Rose's turbulent relationship with Snow (constant arguing between them, Rose often going rogue, and not listening to Snow. Exactly what gives Snow headaches, which are referenced in the comics as well).

And what's a plus for Rose Red (in comparison to characters like Charming, or Cindy), is that she doesn't have as much restrictions due to canon compared to the other 2.

booper posted: »

I feel like I'm one of the few people out there who doesn't want a Snow/Bigby romance option. I never really liked the pairing to begin with

• edited January 2020

I've been trying to explain to him (several times already, from when he first directed quoted/replied to my old comment lol) that just because the writers remain canon for TWAU future seasons, does not mean they are doing the page-by-page adaptation of the comic.

Writers can write original stories for TWAU (I mean it would have to be of course, it's a prequel for goodness sake), while still remaining canon as to the rules of the universe set by the comics (it does not have to be exclusive [one or the other], it can be both).

Like you, I don't wanna sound rude, but it seems that concept is completely lost to him, stating things in absolutes (either it just completely breaks canon as he wants, or following canon, which to him = page-by-page adaptation of the comic being unoriginal, and nothing else exists in between [so according to him, originality can only be achieved by breaking canon, and impossible otherwise lol]).

To be honest, if I were you, I wouldn't waste any more time on this debate. I know I sure won't be.

Glamours are in the comics, Telltale chose to expand on it, which if anything is a perfect example on how Telltale can easily add and expand

Sign in to comment in this discussion.