Real Feast for the Senses menu

So I've seen a few threads popping up about the Feast lately, and I got to wondering, would the map really fold like that and work the way it does in-game? Well, there was only one way to test it out. Three screenshots, a few hours, and some frustration later, I had my very own Feast for the Senses menu.

DSC02904.jpg

DSC02905.jpg

Looks awesome, right? Well, remember my original question? Well, as I was making the thing, I realized that it would never fold right. Compare the following images:

The folded map:
Folded.png

The folded corners:
Corners.png

If you compare the question marks, you see that the corner version is more squished. Also, the shape of the folded area is wrong. In short, Telltale cheated (though given how complex a map like this is, I can hardly blame them) and messed with the dimensions of the folded corners. Were Guybrush in the real world, the map would've looked something like this when folded along the already present fold lines:

DSC02906.jpg

Compare to the in-game version:
FoldedCorners.png

It would take some imagination, but I imagine he could still find his way through the Flotsam jungle with it.

If anyone would like to make their own map, here are the images I used:
Front
Back

Edit: You'll want to squish the height on both images down to 560 without changing the width if you want it to fold properly.
Edit Edit: For some reason, Photobucket shrunk down the image of the inside. I could probably get a jpeg up at the original size, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice image quality. You'll still want to shrink the outside's height to 560, but you'll want to shrink the inside to 380. If you use a program that stretches the printed image to fit the paper, it should still align properly.

Edit x3: Don't use the images linked here. Use the ones in these two posts.
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=258182#post258182
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=258229#post258229

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    If you squish the map down vertically so that the corners are at 45 degree angles, it will work. We scaled the map up in height in the game to make it more readable, even if no longer works when represented on the material plane, but the original Feast map was a real life piece of yellow notebook paper heavily scribbled upon and creased time and again by Mike Stemmle.

PS: Nice CD-R copy of Monkey 4 you've got there! Do you have a cousin named Sven?
  • edited January 2010
    Hmm...I will absolutely have to try that. For my version, I took the folded-in corners, swapped the x and y dimensions to stretch them to the appropriate size, and then rotated and flipped to get them into position.
  • edited January 2010
    Yep, that did it. Looks perfect now. Only took me three tries, after printing it wrong the first two times and not noticing either time until it was almost entirely cut. Now I'll never have a problem getting around if I find myself stuck on Flotsam Island!

DSC02907.jpg

Now, to clean up all the paper scraps on my desk...
  • TeaTea
    edited January 2010
    W-w-w-w-wwhat you just did this to (dis)prove that the ingame map was realistic enough?

Damn you're dedicated.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    One must commend your spirit of investigation and discovery!

A printable version of the map would make a nice DVD extra.
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    Haha, that's awesome!
  • edited January 2010
    This would make a neat thing to collect, like the case files for Sam and Max. Could go nicely with some *ahem* voodoo tarot carts.
  • edited January 2010
    Jake wrote: »

PS: Nice CD-R copy of Monkey 4 you've got there! Do you have a cousin named Sven?

This made me think of what would happen if the president was photographed with missle codes in big print behind him.
  • edited January 2010
    Maxilyah wrote: »
    This would make a neat thing to collect, like the case files for Sam and Max. Could go nicely with some *ahem* voodoo tarot carts.

With a little work, I think we can get about 17 cards (if I'm counting correctly) from game screen-shots. Though I suspect they'd have to be retouched before being printed full-size and laminated... I think this hsoudl be the OP's next project :D
  • edited January 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    With a little work, I think we can get about 17 cards (if I'm counting correctly) from game screen-shots. Though I suspect they'd have to be retouched before being printed full-size and laminated... I think this hsoudl be the OP's next project :D

You can download them in good quality, including the back. Someone posted a link in a forums to download the BMP images.
  • edited January 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    You can download them in good quality, including the back. Someone posted a link in a forums to download the BMP images.

I must find these! Then it's off to kinkos! evil.gif
  • edited January 2010
    This is awesome!
  • edited January 2010
    Here's the tarot cards. I was interested in this but never got around to doing it.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10810&page=4
  • edited January 2010
    Here's the tarot cards. I was interested in this but never got around to doing it.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10810&page=4

TYVM!

I'll be checking the diamentions and see if I can get them printed up realistically... if all else fails, maybe _I_ will send these out to epople willing to pay the cost of them, since TTG seems content with NOT making money off the idea...
  • edited January 2010
    Neat! But you should really clean up your desk. :D
  • edited January 2010
    OGOD WHY DOES NOT MY PRINTER WORK?

Why not doing the nail-trick on the foldways? You know, do pressure in a straight line with your thumb nail to make excellent... foldages.
  • edited January 2010
    MI fans are the coolest, most productive nerds of gamedom. Except me. Between this and the tarot cards, who needs a "case file"? You guys have practically made one already!
  • edited January 2010
    Mermaid wrote: »
    Neat! But you should really clean up your desk. :D

It's a little better now...
    Falanca wrote: »
    OGOD WHY DOES NOT MY PRINTER WORK?

Why not doing the nail-trick on the foldways? You know, do pressure in a straight line with your thumb nail to make excellent... foldages.

I actually did another one last night where I used the sharp corner on my desk to make perfectly straight folds exactly where I wanted them. The paths on the map line up so much better, but somehow it got a small grease spot on it, so I'm going to do another one. Besides, I still want to find something to fill in the white space on the back of the map.
  • edited January 2010
    You can always use the logo. Geeks dig the logos. Also it'd look like more of a merchandise.
  • edited January 2010
    You, my friend, never cease to amaze me.
  • edited January 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    You can always use the logo. Geeks dig the logos. Also it'd look like more of a merchandise.

That's a thought, but I'd still need a parchment background similar to the rest of the map to get the effect I really want. Any chance anybody here knows how to get a shot of the inside of the menu without the "course" text in the center?
  • edited January 2010
    Well, you can take the screenshots of the 6 different texts seen in the menu, then open your Photoshop, get rid of the black text parts in each picture by either choosing them with wand and deleting them or using a layer mask. Then put every picture in different layers, in one psd file. That's how you'll get the most of the parchment part, but it won't be complete. There WILL be some little parts missing, maybe. To make it look good, merge all layers first, then duplicate the layer and temproraily set the first layer's opacity to 0%. Then use stamp tool on the other layer and get rid of the missing parts by merely brushing. Then set the first layer's opacity to 100% again and that.

I recently reformatted my computer so I don't have a copy of Photoshop but I can try acquiring another copy and give it a shot if you take pictures of the all six steps in the menu. Or, you or another person can do the trick instead of me >_>
  • edited January 2010
    I am so incompetent with Photoshop it's not even funny. I've dabbled a bit, but at best I can resize things, rotate to arbitrary angles, and desaturate. I do sprite art, and during my senior year of high school, I was able to make a class out of it. I actually had to get the school's computer lady to allow me to put Paint back on the computers in that classroom only because I couldn't do sprite work in Fireworks. But I digress.

What I had in mind was along the lines of how MISM did the tarot cards, but this is also a good idea. I think I'll give it a shot, but I'll also put up the screenshots in case anyone else wants to give it a try.
  • edited January 2010
    Misery loves company. I was chosen for some school projects and design of our yearbook in my senior year. It's a misery, I hate having responsibilities.

I doubt my method I wrote down here is near any kind of expertness. It's just a long and maybe even an unneeded way of making the most profit of some other person's usage of patterns. One with great skills can take less time and do a more wonderful job, but I'll try what I can do.
  • edited January 2010
    Okai, I'll have a look at that tomorrow, also to Photoshop.
  • edited January 2010
    I made an attempt, and I'm sure that my skills with Photoshop were a contributing factor, but the magic wand left a sort of white outline where the letters had been, and I couldn't make sense of how the stamp tool works. It looks like most of the gaps get filled in, but there is a decent amount of small white spots. The map doesn't really print in the greatest detail as far as the parchment is concerned, so between that and the logo on the back, it shouldn't be too hard to make a decent looking map.

I could probably make a better attempt using my usual image editing skills with Paint (in other words, by hand with the pencil tool and zoomed in at 800% with an additional magnifier provided by my mouse), but it would be pretty tedious and painstaking work to carefully remove all the lettering, but given how Photoshop handles the deleting of selections that aren't perfectly square, I imagine that there would be a tiny bit more parchment left after.

Or maybe someone at Telltale will see this, take pity on me, and provide an image of the menu without any text in the center?
  • edited January 2010
    I made an attempt, and I'm sure that my skills with Photoshop were a contributing factor, but the magic wand left a sort of white outline where the letters had been, and I couldn't make sense of how the stamp tool works. It looks like most of the gaps get filled in, but there is a decent amount of small white spots. The map doesn't really print in the greatest detail as far as the parchment is concerned, so between that and the logo on the back, it shouldn't be too hard to make a decent looking map.

you can find parchment images using hte internets. With a little work platintg around with the color settings you can make any two match as long as hte patterns are similar.

I'm thinking seriously about trying to get togeher a "fan made" casefile of sorts for ToMI with the Tarot cards, map, and 3 other items... It might even be possible to make a fully-useable Tarot deck using items form the game (such as the "wands" suit would use the mer-people clam-shell-unlocking-tool)
  • edited January 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    One must commend your spirit of investigation and discovery!

A printable version of the map would make a nice DVD extra.

A printed version would be nicer :D
  • edited January 2010
    Ashton wrote: »
    you can find parchment images using hte internets. With a little work platintg around with the color settings you can make any two match as long as hte patterns are similar.

Maybe, but again, my photo editing skills aren't all that great. Besides, I thought the six sense icons would make a nice touch.
  • edited January 2010
    So...anybody ever make any progress with that parchment image?
  • edited January 2010
    You have almost as much free time as this guy it seems!
  • edited January 2010
    Well, that was a fun way to spend a few hours. Good thing I spread it out over two days, or I would've gone insane :p

How does this look? Some parts were covered with letters in all the six courses, so I filled them in myself with the closest shade of brown.

And here's one with only the areas not covered by letters filled in, and the rest left empty. In case you want to fill it in yourself :)
  • edited January 2010
    I...I think I love you. I'm going to clean off my desk and then get to work trying to make a map!
  • edited January 2010
    Yep. Looks perfect.
  • edited January 2010
    Ergh. I've been working on this for a while and just realized I've made things much harder for myself. With all that stretching and rotating I did in Photoshop, my diagonal lines on the back have a lot of white along them, which I've been trying to get rid of, much like I did back when I first took them from the screenshots. That was a bad idea. Instead, I'm going to try and reassemble the back of the map using the unaltered corners and squash down the flap parts, the parts with no diagonal lines, and hopefully that'll let me put the two parts together better.

Edit: Scratch that, I have to squash the corners down no matter what I do. I'm going to have to think about this a while longer to see if I can find a way to assemble the map without squashing the corners until it's already done.
  • edited January 2010
    Friar wrote: »
    You have almost as much free time as this guy it seems!
    OMG is this Bill Gates' son?
  • edited January 2010
    Done! I did two maps, one with the logo on the back and one without. They fold much better than they look, it just wouldn't stay folded down for the picture.

DSC02913.jpg

DSC02912.jpg

This makes five of these things floating around on my desk. The original one that doesn't fold right, the one I hastily made when Jake told me how to fix it, a carefully folded one with nothing on the back, and these two.

Anyway, here's the images for anyone who wants to do their own. This time they're already properly scaled, so there's no resizing required.

Inside
    Outside with logo
    Outside without logo
  • edited January 2010
    Okay, I believe I've done my last map, unless I find a good reason to do another. I used the blank inside of the map provided by Didero with the ToMI font provided by TheHutt and...

DSC02914.jpg

Here's the file.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.