Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    If having 4x the resolution as well as widescreen support and better compatibility for $10 isn't worth it, I don't know what is.

I can download scummVM if I'm having compatibility problems and for resolution and widescreen support I haven't had a problem with it. It isn't the money issue, I just really don't think they need an update to curse. If any Lucasarts games deserve and updates with voices I'd say Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken and Indy and the Last Crusade. Although I wouldn't hold my breath for an Indy 3 remake.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh, definitely.

I would actually go ahead and call it Monkey Island 3, while letting everything Curse and beyond avoid a number. It makes sense to me.

Only if the ending of this MI3 ties in with CMI. But even then, it's a little too late. The only way I see it happening is Telltale gets Ron, they make that "MI3" as a single stand-alone episode and release it between 2 other titles they are doing. But even that sounds way too far fetched.

And I'm all for a remastered CMI with better resolution, smoother animation and heck, maybe some commentary and missing scenes.
  • edited March 2010
    techie775 wrote: »
    I can download scummVM if I'm having compatibility problems and for resolution and widescreen support I haven't had a problem with it. It isn't the money issue, I just really don't think they need an update to curse. If any Lucasarts games deserve and updates with voices I'd say Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken and Indy and the Last Crusade. Although I wouldn't hold my breath for an Indy 3 remake.

What I would like for ScummVm is a x1.5 resolution, for playing CMI in a window. The x2 is too big, and the normal one is a little small. Nothing vital, obviously.
  • edited March 2010
    Spadge wrote: »
    Only if the ending of this MI3 ties in with CMI.
    Why? That's like tying down the deck chairs on the Titanic.
  • edited March 2010
    I still firmly believe that if Ron had actually planned on going anywhere with MI that he wouldn't have quit the company before he had a chance to finish this mystical supposed third game of his.
  • edited March 2010
    If MI3 takes place between LR and CMI, then the entire game would take place in the Carnival of the Damned on Monkey Island. Not a very varied game now is it?
  • edited March 2010
    If MI3 takes place between LR and CMI, then the entire game would take place in the Carnival of the Damned on Monkey Island. Not a very varied game now is it?

Well, Lair of the Laviathan took place inside a giant manatee, and look how good that episode was?
  • edited March 2010
    Well, Lair of the Laviathan took place inside a giant manatee, and look how good that episode was?

It was an episode, not an entire game.
  • edited March 2010
    A game could start and end in the Carnival but still go to other places in between. Could be a pretty bizarre game in which Little Guybrush goes about his life but gradually realizes that nothing is as it seems
  • edited March 2010
    A Monkey Island game set in modern days? No, thank you...
  • edited March 2010
    I'll move this post to the other thread and add in a witty comment later.
  • edited March 2010
    Eduardo wrote: »
    What I would like for ScummVm is a x1.5 resolution, for playing CMI in a window. The x2 is too big, and the normal one is a little small. Nothing vital, obviously.

hmm, maybe you should duggest that to the developers of ScummVM. See if they run with it. Otherwise, you could probably use DOSBox instead of ScummVM. I know for certain you can set custom window resolutions with that. I have a thread in this forums that mentions how to do it (sort of a tutorial for installing the first 4 MI games and Grim Fandango)

Pale Man wrote: »
    I still firmly believe that if Ron had actually planned on going anywhere with MI that he wouldn't have quit the company before he had a chance to finish this mystical supposed third game of his.

I tend to agree.

It stands to reason that he enjoys being consulted by the game developers and media for ideas on what MI3 might have involved, or the acclaim that emanates from the Gilbert fanboys/girls... It's quite possible that he never considered what MI3 would be about when he finished MI2 (if he even considered making it at all,) or if he did consider it, then it was likely to not have been anything more than a rough idea or two about what might happen.

Think about it. If Ron ever said that he never considered making an MI3, no one would ever ask him what he might have done with the series. Even if he did have an idea or two about what might happen, it's reasonable to assume that he possibly (and IMO probably) came up with a lot of ideas for his version of MI3 quite recently as interest in continuing the series was rekindled by TTG... which would mean that as he was writing the end of MI2, he hadn't planned on where he'd go with it very much or at all.

Some people almost make it sound as though he had completely planned out the whole MI3, including who was involved and what exactly was going to happen. That would almost elevate his celebrity to being the George Lucas of the gaming world... and one reason why Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are better movies than A New Hope is because George Lucas did not direct them. Also, my parents have novels of the original Star Wars trilogy that were written back in the day, and in those novels, Obi-Wan and Owen Lars were brothers. In the prequels, they weren't, which means Lucas changed his mind. What does that say about Ron Gilbert and MI3?
  • edited March 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    hmm, maybe you should duggest that to the developers of ScummVM. See if they run with it. Otherwise, you could probably use DOSBox instead of ScummVM. I know for certain you can set custom window resolutions with that. I have a thread in this forums that mentions how to do it (sort of a tutorial for installing the first 4 MI games and Grim Fandango)

Someone else already brought it up in the ScummVm forums, luckily.
  • edited March 2010
    CoMI should remain untouched. Just as it is. Is awesome.
  • edited March 2010
    CMI is awesome! I maintain it is still the best in the series.

I would love a SE version, if only for the updated graphics and sound quality, and maybe so I can play it on the Xbox :)

I would buy it!!

But a new Ron game.... no. Sorry I'm just not in that camp!
  • edited March 2010
    I wouldn't mind Ron working on MI5.
  • edited March 2010
    I wouldn't mind Ron working on MI6.

Fixed. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    Nope, TMI is MI6. MI5 is yet to be made by LucasArts.
  • edited March 2010
    Nope ToMI is MI5 them saying it takes place after a never made MI5 was just a joke that some fans are having a hard time letting go.....

Besides if they made a game between MI 4 and Tales it would be about getting the stuff for the cutlass ... and we all saw the ending to that "game" in the beginning of tales... so making that game would be pretty lame.
  • edited March 2010
    There is no Monkey Island 5 until LucasArts makes it. Telltale lacks a certain "polish" with their games. How hard could it be to take an extra month and make some extra models for the other pirates?
  • edited March 2010
    How hard could it be to take an extra month and make some extra models for the other pirates?

LOL cant argue with you there.... I think another of TTG faults is their worlds seem really empty a lot of the time... I think its something they are getting better at though.
  • edited March 2010
    There is no Monkey Island 5 until LucasArts makes it. Telltale lacks a certain "polish" with their games. How hard could it be to take an extra month and make some extra models for the other pirates?
    I would guess the limits created by WiiWare development and download sizes played a bigger role in that so-called "lack of polish," and not Telltale's laziness. :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    I would guess the limits created by WiiWare development and download sizes played a bigger role in that so-called "lack of polish," and not Telltale's laziness. :rolleyes:

Why should the Wii version hold back the PC version?
  • edited March 2010
    Why should the Wii version hold back the PC version?
    It appears that Telltale develops a single version of its games that plays on every release platform. Only the graphics quality varies (resolution and lighting effects). As a result, they are limited by the least capable platform. WiiWare has some ridiculously small limits (40MB download maximum per episode, IIRC), and I'm sure some design decisions had to be made to meet those limits.

Why does Sam & Max have a fully orchestrated soundtrack, but ToMI only had recorded MIDI? Sam & Max was given a full Wii retail disc release, but ToMI was limited by WiiWare specifications.

I could be completely wrong, but I see no evidence that Telltale has ever made a game "enhanced" for a specific platform (other than making Sam & Max Season 1 in widescreen for non-PC platforms).
  • edited March 2010
    In a way I had a problem with the models being similar and in a way I didn't.
    What I mean is, I don't have a very good eye and I kept mixing up characters.
    But it's not really the models that were a problem. I mean, if every model had been completely different I wouldn't have had a problem recognising them, but having one purple and the next one orange would have worked just as well for instance.
    So I wouldn't say it's 100% about models.
    I guess they were trying to be realistic with their skin colours though. Total lack of originality there if you ask me.
  • edited March 2010
    comparison+of+faces.jpg
    57040_TalesOfMonkeyIslandEp2-03_normal.jpg
    talesofmi_narwhal.jpg
    PCG206.rev_mini.tomi_1--screenshot_viewer_medium.jpg
    TMIch3_bugeye.jpg
  • edited March 2010

By this logic then Tales can't be MI6 either, because it wasn't made by Lucasarts. So what is it then? Fanfiction? Pfft, please.
  • edited March 2010

And LucasArts doesn't lack a certain polish as of late? Have you seen the pixelated background art of the Melee Island forest and the crappy sign at Stan's in SMI:SE? And we on these forums have already found several places in the released screenshots and flash page for MI2:SE where someone can clearly see old pixels from the original game. TTG tells a good story, has great background artists, great music direction, and aside from Adam Harrington's LeChuck (sorry Adam) has wonderful voice actors. The reused models don't bother me when the voices and personalities of the characters in question are so different.

I do want MI2:SE released, but if SMI:SE is any indication, I never want LucasArts to build a new, original MI game again until they pull their heads out of their butts and hire better people to work on an MI game than they had painting the art or composing the music for SMI:SE, or writing the story for Escape (sorry Mike.)
  • edited March 2010

They stopped doing that from Chapter 3 on, though, as people complained about it.

Also, pretty much everyone in Lucasarts who worked there in the 90's has now moved on, most of them to Telltale. Lucasarts is just a name.
  • edited March 2010
    Not this again.
  • edited March 2010
    Not what again?
  • edited March 2010
    The is or isn't Tales Monkey Island 5 debate. Every time you think it's over and everyone (on here, at least) has either been set straight or given up, someone else pops up saying it's not MI5 and starting the debate again.
  • edited March 2010
    oh. well, IMDb seems to think CMI is MI3.

29452526.png
  • edited March 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    Because the game art is already relatively clear and distinct, I would hope that all they'd do is retrace everything into scalable vector art. Any kind of restyling would be both redundant and unfortunate.

Also, I didn't think about widescreen. That makes for a much more interesting problem.

I would love to see them do this. Really yeah, graphics themselves are fine, just low-res. If they re-did them as vectors and maybe found a way to incorporate widescreen, that would seriously be enough for a special edition IMO. The only problem is I think that's actually asking quite a bit - I imagine there's a pretty sizeable number of cell frames to redraw...
  • edited March 2010
    Until a Monkey Island game comes along that has a big, fat '3' on the front, Curse of Monkey Island will be Monkey Island 3.
  • edited March 2010
    The is or isn't Tales Monkey Island 5 debate. Every time you think it's over and everyone (on here, at least) has either been set straight or given up, someone else pops up saying it's not MI5 and starting the debate again.

Thankyou so much. I think almost every topic in these forums lead to a debate like this. Why?!
  • edited March 2010
    Thankyou so much. I think almost every topic in these forums lead to a debate like this. Why?!

I know, I don't get why it's so important or worthy of debate.

Secret of Monkey Island = Monkey Island 1
    Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge = Monkey Island 2 (obvious, I know, shutup, don't make a joke out of it)
    Curse of Monkey Island = Monkey Island 3
    Escape from Monkey Island = Monkey Island 4
    Tales of Monkey Island = Monkey Island 5

Argument over!
  • edited March 2010

I can´t judge ToMI to it´s full extend, as i have yet to finish it. But yes, it bugs me that the models you meet do look very much alike. Does this get better in later episodes?
  • edited March 2010
    stoney1981 wrote: »
    I can´t judge ToMI to it´s full extend, as i have yet to finish it. But yes, it bugs me that the models you meet do look very much alike. Does this get better in later episodes?

Yes. At least I didn't mix people together afterwards.
    You do get people who stay for the whole game and obviously they don't become someone completely different, though
  • edited March 2010
    The sprites were scanned and painted in high resolution and then shrunken. If LucasArts could find the original high res sprites in their database, that would knock out a huge portion of the special edition.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.