Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition.

edited November 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
Do we dare you and I that they might release a Curse of Monkey Island Special Edition with high definition crisp clear graphics?

Or is such a thing to hope for too dangerous with the risk of them completely changing what many believe to be (myself NOT included, I am a MI2 guy) the quintessential Monkey Island experience?

I must admit I would cry real tears of joy if I got that game crystal clear and working without all the headaches on Windows 7

Comments

• edited March 2010
    The only thing that needs updating is the resolution, if we could get that game at 1920x1080 with 32bit colour it would look amazing, uncompress the audio so Speech and SFX run at 48Khz instead of 22.05Khz and up the music to 44.1Khz from 22.05Khz, that's all, and of course make it compatible without the need for tricks.
  • edited March 2010
    I'd much rather see a Special Edition of Grim Fandango, preferably done by Telltale, so I can actually PLAY IT!

Anyway, I would love to see a Special Edition of Curse, with the same backgrounds and animations done even better than before in modern Photoshop. As long as they add in the missing scenes and let you play the original version as well.
  • edited March 2010
    Grim Fandango needs it more. Easier controls, less bugs, and compatibility is all you need. Oh, and a little higher resolution graphics. I think the control system in TOMI would work neatly (especially since you didn't have to combine items anyway :p).
  • edited March 2010
    I don't think CoMI needs the "fixing" that has come from the other 2 Special Editions (ie, pixelated characters and no voice work). The voice acting is perfect, as are the audio segments and visuals. As stated above, the only thing CoMI needs is higher graphics and audio resolution and it would be perfect for newer machines/tech.
  • edited March 2010
    delete
  • edited March 2010
    I don't think Curse, Escape and Grim Fandango need remakes. They're perfect as they are
    And they work fine on my Windows 7 PC. I just have an issue with Grim Fandango Hardware 3D Acceleration thing, it doesn't work with newer graphic cards :(
  • edited March 2010
    Curse's animations were done in 4:3 ratio. They'd have to reanimate all the cutscenes.
  • edited March 2010
    I would pay full price if they did.... films get cleaned up all the time its not that much of a difference... Or just leave the cut scenes as is like they did in the re-release of the God of War collection...
  • edited March 2010
    I'd much rather see a Special Edition of Grim Fandango, preferably done by Telltale, so I can actually PLAY IT!

Anyway, I would love to see a Special Edition of Curse, with the same backgrounds and animations done even better than before in modern Photoshop. As long as they add in the missing scenes and let you play the original version as well.

Got to agree, COMI could do with widescreen support, but other than that it's aged pretty well. Still not in love with the way Guybrush looks in it, but the art is beautiful. Now Grim Fandango would be a great game for a SE!

The effort it would take to up res and add in widescreen for COMI does not equal how much it would actually improve it. Still a damn fine looking game on my HD TV!
  • edited March 2010
    Because the game art is already relatively clear and distinct, I would hope that all they'd do is retrace everything into scalable vector art. Any kind of restyling would be both redundant and unfortunate.

Also, I didn't think about widescreen. That makes for a much more interesting problem.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, the original drawings were high res. All they need to do is find and rescan them.
  • edited March 2010
    I think the original drawings were colored in Photoshop, actually.
  • edited March 2010
    I think the original drawings were colored in Photoshop, actually.

Afterwards
  • edited March 2010
    I'd love for Grim Fandango to be pimped and re-released on PSN, Steam and Xbox Live Arcade. Better controls, higher resolutions, that's all that's needed. I can live with the charm of the ol' blocky characters. : )

Yes, I drool over the thought of playing Grim Fandango on my Xbox.
  • edited March 2010
    Any other votes for "Maniac Mansion"?:) anyone?:)

guess not :(
  • edited March 2010
    Regarding CMI, IF they still have the original Photoshop files, and IF those are at a higher resolution, there wouldn't be that much work involved.

Alternatively it would suffice if they'd be able to re-scan the drawings (IF those still exist), and use the coloring layer in Photoshop (minus the line drawing) and upscale that, to use with the newly scanned drawings. BUT: Keep in mind that the original backgrounds were designed for a 4:3 resolution, so most of them wouldn't fill a 16:9 frame (or had to be stretched, which would be an atrocity).
  • edited March 2010
    Regarding CMI, IF they still have the original Photoshop files, and IF those are at a higher resolution, there wouldn't be that much work involved.

Alternatively it would suffice if they'd be able to re-scan the drawings (IF those still exist), and use the coloring layer in Photoshop (minus the line drawing) and upscale that, to use with the newly scanned drawings. BUT: Keep in mind that the original backgrounds were designed for a 4:3 resolution, so most of them wouldn't fill a 16:9 frame (or had to be stretched, which would be an atrocity).

There are some backgrounds that pan, so those would fit 16:9.
  • edited March 2010
    There are some backgrounds that pan, so those would fit 16:9.
    Most aren't ;)

So, do you want some backgrounds to fill the whole screen and all the others to have black bars on both sides? I don't think so...
  • edited March 2010
    Just expand on those that don't?

SOME work has to be put into this, if they're just going to take the old backgrounds and use their higher resolution version.
  • edited March 2010
    same game exactly, but with the scenes that were scrapped from the original and the song they've planned to do in the end. and of course, resolution and audio sample rate.
  • edited March 2010
    Wouldn't the characters also be a problem? Just saying.
    If they decide to do CMISE someday, I'd buy it. Heck, maybe they should do it with 3d characters similiar to Grim Fandango, EMI and Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island.
  • edited March 2010
    I do not see why they couldn't bring in Bill Tiller to expand the backgrounds to fit wide-screen... He still seems in love with that game and it would create nothing but good press for his own games.
  • edited March 2010
    Honestly, I'd just be happy for a Double Boost, having the game at 1280x1024 (1280x960 with black bars on top and bottom), would open up quite a few more resolutions along the way such as 800x600 and 1024x768, that along with the colour boosted to 32-bit would make an already great looking game even more amazing! And, assuming they still have the files, would be simple to do!
  • edited March 2010
    I guess they could also extend the ending of the game if they were to release a special edition.
  • edited March 2010
    They could always have commentary and an art viewer like they are doing for MI2
  • edited March 2010
    I guess they could also extend the ending of the game if they were to release a special edition.

Or even just play the audio! Have the screen go blank with text in the middle "Budget/Time Ran Out!", we know they at least recorded the cutscene between Chapter 5 and 6 as Dom confirmed it!
  • edited March 2010
    They could also update the easter eggs (forest and drowning Guybrush) to special edition graphics.
  • edited March 2010
    They could also update the easter eggs (forest and drowning Guybrush) to special edition graphics.

NOO, THAT Guybrush must never appear in Curse, ..plus I like the remixed retro music used in Curse for those scenes. :p
  • edited March 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    NOO, THAT Guybrush must never appear in Curse, ..plus I like the remixed retro music used in Curse for those scenes. :p

Fair enough, I've actually got a good idea then. They can put extra treasures in King Andre's cave, maybe items from other MI or LucasArts games (either interactive or non-interactive, take your pick), how does that sound?
  • edited March 2010
    It would be cool to click on a chest in Andre's and it takes you to all sorts of concept art and interviews and possibly Colonel Sanders secret recipe.... or would that be Blonde Beard's?
  • edited March 2010
    I say it would take too much work and effort for a waste-able increase in quality (on the graphics department).

As thus; no thanks, rather have them spend their time with new games (with TTG).
  • edited March 2010
    Think of it this way, then. If they've got new MI games licensed to Telltale and they don't have anything better to do besides more Star Wars games, why not spend the time making a Curse special edition?
  • edited March 2010
    Just keep it at 4:3.
  • edited March 2010
    Think of it this way, then. If they've got new MI games licensed to Telltale and they don't have anything better to do besides more Star Wars games, why not spend the time making a Curse special edition?
    Cancel The Old Republic, make SW:KOTOR3 and put these guys on a restoration project for KOTOR2.

As I said; I doubt adding resolutions and touched up graphics have enough impact to warrant the treatment. It still looks timeless, no... unlike pixels (although pixels have their charm).
  • edited March 2010
    Cancel The Old Republic, make SW:KOTOR3 and put these guys on a restoration project for KOTOR2.

As I said; I doubt adding resolutions and touched up graphics have enough impact to warrant the treatment. It still looks timeless, no... unlike pixels (although pixels have their charm).

True, but their are many people new to monkey island thanks to the special edition(s) and Tales, who probably don't know about SCUMMVM, and thus would have difficulty getting the game to run on most PCs.
  • edited March 2010
    I just installed it (apparently in 5 seconds, excluding selecting maps and stuff) and ran it just fine (windows XP)... I assume these issues would be for Vista/7?

Although I have to admit it's a little blockier than I remember, probably because of having a bigger monitor now.
  • edited March 2010
    Unless I am mistaken isnt MI3 the best selling of the first 3? A re-release seems like a no brainer to me.
  • edited March 2010
    I just installed it (apparently in 5 seconds, excluding selecting maps and stuff) and ran it just fine (windows XP)... I assume these issues would be for Vista/7?

Although I have to admit it's a little blockier than I remember, probably because of having a bigger monitor now.

I know i had issues with it on XP. The majority of the cutscenes would fast forward at breakneck pace (the scene with the exploding voodoo cannoball was over in under 2 seconds, for example), and if i didn't skip them before that time, the game would jam. With Windows 7, i can't even install the game. ScummVM fixed both of these issues for me though.

Saying that, there was a time when i didn't have issues with it and XP. I never figured that one out.
  • edited March 2010
    I cant get it to run on windows 7
  • edited March 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I cant get it to run on windows 7
    ScummVM runs it just fine under Windows 7 for me - have you tried that yet?

np: Bizzy B - Slow Jam (Retrospective)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.