SoMI:SE Backgrounds Fix patch and other mods.

As there seemed to be an interest in SoMI:SE mods here aswell sa seen in the following thread.
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15516
I decided I'd post my mods here aswell.

I already posted this before on the Mojo and Steam forums:
http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2671757&postcount=4
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1026287

So without further a do, here are my current mods.

Backgrounds Fix Patch Version 5 (unfinished)
This mod fixes some backgrounds that were sloppy, rushed or in any way incomplete in the official version.
It will remove any artefact pixels left behind of the old backgrounds, fix any wonky alpha's and clean things up considderably.

Note that I have not yet fixed all backgrounds yet, it's a work in progress. More backgrounds will be fixed as I progress.

I have also added the fix for Stan's Store Sign made by Khar.

Download Mirror on Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/dfom2ffk2zn/MISEBackgroundfix5.rar

List of fixed content:
- 30_store_______Melee Island Store_________________alpha fixes
- 41_kitchen_____Scummbar Kitchen_________________moving plank fix and alpha fixes
- 44_masters-h___Swordmaster's House Closeup________retouched artefact pixels
- 49_road________Melee Island Road_________________retouched artefact pixels
- 53_foyer_______Governers Mansion Interior__________alpha fix
- 57_bridge______Forest Bridge______________________retouched artefact pixels, alpha fixes and other minor retouches
- 59_stans_______Stan's Store Sign__________________sign font fix
- 64_treasure-____Forest Treasure Site_______________retouched artefact pixels, alpha fixes and other numerous fixes
- 70_hellcliff______Monkey Island Underground Cliff______minor retouch
- 73_church______Melee Island Church________________alpha fixes and other retouches
- 100_forest-1____Melee Island Forest________________retouched artefact pixels and alpha fixes
- 102_forest-2____Melee Island Forest________________retouched artefact pixels and alpha fixes
- 105_forest-6____Melee Island Forest________________retouched artefact pixels and alpha fixes

Screenshots:

Alpha fixes for the store.
screenshotstore.jpg
Forest retouch.
screenshotforest.jpg
Closeup of a forest fix with comparison of the original. Removed the remaining big pixels of the classic background.
forestfixanim.gif
An example of the plank fix in the Kitchen of the Scummbar,
shown in the following order: classic, SE, SE fixed.
fishanim.gif

Last Updated April 4 2010

Scummbar Smile Mod
This mod re-adds a smile to the sign outside the Scummbar.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ekwnhyyljbg/ScummbarSmile.rar

Screenshot, Classic, SE old and SE with smile mod:
SCUMMsmile.jpg

Keep a lookout for future updates

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Thanks! These look terrific! For a future update, think you could make the portrait on the wall of the Scumm Bar kitchen the Pillsbury Doughboy again? :)
  • edited April 2010
    Yes I could give that a try, though that's a change, not a fix. So that would be in a separate mod, like the smile mod. I also planned to enhance some of the inventory items and change the idol from evil tentacle back to the Sam & Max idol.
  • edited April 2010
    I love this. good job.

EDIT: when might you have more of Melee Forest fixed and ready for download?
  • edited April 2010
    You should start a website for these mods.
  • edited April 2010
    A while ago for fun I redid Guybrush's hair on a few of the sprite sheets basing the look on the original box art and then Riot23 did a bunch of copy and pasting and whipped up a patch

http://picpaste.de/pics/MISE_2009-08-01_00-30-02-38.1270221577.jpg
    http://picpaste.de/pics/MISE_2009-08-01_00-29-58-66.1270221561.jpg

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1814570/MISE---Hair-Patch---by-Irishmile-and-Riot23.rar.html
  • edited April 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I love this. good job.

EDIT: when might you have more of Melee Forest fixed and ready for download?
    Thanks, right now I'm working on other location fixes for the next version of the patch. There are over 20 locations in the forest, I've fixed 3 so far, and some locations are hell to fix. The forest is so much work I'm not sure I will ever finish it. But I'll continue working as long as I don't get bored with the project. But don't worry, more fixes for the forest will come in the future.

Anyhow, I should have a new version up sometime this weekend with more fixes for the church, the troll bridge and the close up of the Swordmaster's house.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Admonisher wrote: »
    Thanks! These look terrific! For a future update, think you could make the portrait on the wall of the Scumm Bar kitchen the Pillsbury Doughboy again? :)
    I had a go at trying this today.

rrmx01.jpg

Here is the file with the updated graphic.
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    A while ago for fun I redid Guybrush's hair on a few of the sprite sheets basing the look on the original box art and then Riot23 did a bunch of copy and pasting and whipped up a patch

http://picpaste.de/pics/MISE_2009-08-01_00-30-02-38.1270221577.jpg
    http://picpaste.de/pics/MISE_2009-08-01_00-29-58-66.1270221561.jpg

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1814570/MISE---Hair-Patch---by-Irishmile-and-Riot23.rar.html

I used that mod the whole way through and liked it very much. Kudos and thank you!
  • edited April 2010
    Riot23 did almost all of the tedious copy and pasting... whomever and where ever Riot23 is.... He just asked if he could use the scribbles I did... Obviously I had no objections... but if I knew someone would actually put it in a patch I would have made it a little better looking.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm sure I missed a thread or several hundred some where...
    But I'm guessing these mods are for pc/xbox/wii or whatever platform it may be on.
    I have the iPhone version, and seeing as how Apple is pretty homogeneous with their tech I'm certain I'll have to wait for LA to bring out their update with your content - give or take 20 years.

By that time I may as well buy Secret of Monkey Island Uber-special Edition, 2030 "a remake of the original 2009 game".

Anyway is there a pc version you can buy like from LA, or do you have to covertly download this from Steam or something?

Also, call it ignorance or apathy, but I heard something about Telltale releasing SoMI:SE and LCR:SE on disc, or is this pure conjecture?

Thanks
  • edited April 2010
    I'm sure I missed a thread or several Anyway is there a pc version you can buy like from LA, or do you have to covertly download this from Steam or something?

Also, call it ignorance or apathy, but I heard something about Telltale releasing SoMI:SE and LCR:SE on disc, or is this pure conjecture?

Thanks

Yes, you have to buy SoMI:SE from Steam or Direct2drive.

During the recent announcement of LCR:SE, it was announced that you will be able to buy SoMI:SE from the Telltale store, no word on a disc version.
  • edited April 2010
    they will be selling digital copies in their store... not on disc.. or at least nothing has been said about it.... But who knows what the future may bring.
  • edited April 2010
    Speaking of discs, has anyone made up some nice disc art/DVD case art for MI:SE yet? :D
  • edited April 2010
    yes. someone on here edited the SE boxart to change guybrush's hair and facial expression. it looks pretty good. I have yet ot run a forum search for it, though.
  • edited April 2010
    Great job, but is there a way you could make direct comparison shots for all of them? Preferably between all three versions, but at least the old SE and new SE version.
  • edited April 2010
    Something I WAS working on.
    1zog55t.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    yes. someone on here edited the SE boxart to change guybrush's hair and facial expression. it looks pretty good. I have yet ot run a forum search for it, though.

I mean a printable DVD case thingy, not just the box-art itself.
  • edited April 2010
    Something I WAS working on.
    <Awesome pic>

You know, if you are still interested, I still would love to help with this project. Helping with the actual pasting and getting all the new graphics ingame.
  • edited April 2010
    Yes do that... you guys finish it... and I tell you what I will help by using that mod
  • edited April 2010
    You know, if you are still interested, I still would love to help with this project. Helping with the actual pasting and getting all the new graphics ingame.

Jenni from LucasForums took up the project. You should team up.
  • edited April 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »
    I had a go at trying this today.

rrmx01.jpg

Here is the file with the updated graphic.

Wow, thanks!! I'll definitely use that when I eventually upgrade to an SSE2 capable processor and am able to actually play the game... :P
  • edited April 2010
    I'm sure I missed a thread or several hundred some where...
    But I'm guessing these mods are for pc/xbox/wii or whatever platform it may be on.
    I have the iPhone version, and seeing as how Apple is pretty homogeneous with their tech I'm certain I'll have to wait for LA to bring out their update with your content - give or take 20 years.

By that time I may as well buy Secret of Monkey Island Uber-special Edition, 2030 "a remake of the original 2009 game".

Anyway is there a pc version you can buy like from LA, or do you have to covertly download this from Steam or something?

Thanks
    These mods are made for PC, no idea if they will work on any other system.
  • edited April 2010
    Rejoice!

I have uploaded a new version of the backgrounds fix.

New additions include:
    - Melee Island road
    - Melee Island Troll Bridge
    - Swordmaster's house closeup
    - Stan's Store Sign fix made by Khar
    - Other improvements on already modified locations such as the kitchen of the Scummbar

Check the first post for the download mirror.
  • edited April 2010
    Rejoice!

I have uploaded a new version of the backgrounds fix.

New additions include:
    - Melee Island road
    - Melee Island Troll Bridge
    - Swordmaster's house closeup
    - Stan's Store Sign fix made by Khar
    - Other improvements on already modified locations such as the kitchen of the Scummbar

Check the first post for the download mirror.

Thanks for the *awesome* work!

It's been a real joy to go back and enjoy the Monkey Island I SE the way it should have been from start.

However, I still noticed one minor graphics bug...

Once having arrived in the second chapter, you will soon have both the "minutes" (those from the Mêlée Island PGA that you can obtain from the men of low moral fiber in chapter one) and the "piece of paper" (showing the directions to monkey island/the recipe).

Well the thing is: whoever at LucasArts made the item links, did it wrong.

If you look closely, the item graphics for the PGA "minutes" will contain the text "directions to monkey island" in bold letters and vice versa - if you stare closely enough at the item graphics for the "piece of paper" you can spot that you are actually looking at a PGA text.

Yeah, call me a nitpicker, but this has annoyed me ever since I got hands on the game.

And looking at the fixes already done, I hope correcting the item links might appear on the horizon one day as well.

Let's just hope "LeChuck's Revenge SE" will never need as much fan love as does this classic. ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks, I didn't know of that bug, I'll look in to it. I was already working on another patch for the inventory, because some items looked ugly (like the banana picker)
    Switching two inventory item graphics shouldn't be too hard.

And thanks for the compliments.

P.S. I'm a nitpicker too :D
  • edited April 2010
    Does anyone know if there are working mods to fix Guybrush's hair and/or to get the SE voice-overs working in classic mode?

EDIT: or the location of the narrator's voiceover files? I want to replace them with blank ones to get him to shut up.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Does anyone know if there are working mods to fix Guybrush's hair?
    You mean like the one mentioned in this post?
  • edited April 2010
    Someone should play the new Mac version of SoMI:SE and see if anything's been fixed on it. I'm thinking not, but you never know.
  • edited April 2010
    The problem with Guybrush isn't just the hair... Look at his face... Looks like a dead fish or something... MI2:SE Guybrush is more accurate to the other games but SMI:SE one just seems... off
  • edited April 2010
    Maybe some people could port LCR:SE's guybrush sprites to SMI:SE when it's released, possibly with changed clothes.
    That'd be a lot of work though.
  • edited April 2010
    I"m buying a copy of SMI:SE for someone else.

Can you guys confirm for me which versions (Steam or Direct2Drive) can be easily modded? Since I'm getting it for somoene else, I want the ability to mod the game to be so easy a three-headed monkey can do it.
  • edited April 2010
    Steam is easy enough. I imagine Direct2Drive would be, too.
  • edited April 2010
    Steam version can easily be modded. Dunno about any of the other versions. Check the mod threads on Mojo forums to find out exactly how to mod it, as you need a number of programs.
  • edited April 2010
    Does anyone know if there's a working mod to fix the narrator's voiceover files? I want to replace them with blank ones to get him to shut up, but I'm not sure how. I gather all I'd have to do is put blank files where the game would look for the original ones, but I dunno where that is.
  • edited April 2010
    Ah, modding sounds and music is something different altogether. (sounds being more difficult than music, I'd imagine)
  • edited April 2010
    On DeviantArt there's a really nice edit of Guybrush's sprite. But the author said he won't redo all of it cause he's not a spriter... but still looks awesome!

Guybrush_SE_edit_by_JinnDemonEvil.gif

http://jinndemonevil.deviantart.com/art/Guybrush-SE-edit-129361140
  • edited May 2010
    I tried to install the fixes on the Telltale version of the game and it doesn't work :( It seems that the Monkey1.pak cannot be overridden the same way like in the Steam version. Any ideas?
  • edited May 2010
    Download game unpacker, extract the contents of "Monkey1.pak" to the game folder, put the modded files in their proper places which should replace the original files, then delete (or rename) monkey1.pak.

edit: if game unpacker doesn't work, try Dragon Unpacker [/edit]

Try that and tell us if it works.
  • edited May 2010
    Download game unpacker, extract the contents of "Monkey1.pak" to the game folder, put the modded files in their proper places which should replace the original files, then delete (or rename) monkey1.pak.

edit: if game unpacker doesn't work, try Dragon Unpacker [/edit]

Try that and tell us if it works.

Sorry everybody! My mistake, the fixes work fine with the TTG version of SoMI:SE. I guess I wasn't very attentive when I tried yesterday late at night. And Chyron8472, none of your programs work but this Monkey Island Explorer from bgbennyboy at LucasForums will extract the contents of the .pak file very well.
    Thanks anyway, your tip might be usefull for other games :)
  • edited June 2010
    Any more recent updates for this?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.