Unofficial Devil's Playhouse Main Titles Appreciation Thread

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
I think the credits team (can't remember exactly who, ironically) did an outstanding job this time out with the Main Titles. Callbacks and subtle hints galore!

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBa5miHaKc0

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Yeah, great opening credits! :D
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Nick Herman and Jake Rodkin were all up in that. Direct your high fives in their direction.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, It's wonderful! (High fives Nick and Jake)
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    To be more precise, Jake designed the credits and built the majority of the art. I came in at the 11th hour and added all the action/acting. It was a lot of fun for us because we haven't done trailer/video since Behind the Bad. And it just so happened, without any pressure being applied to anyone's appendages, my credit appears over my favorite shot, so I can't complain. :)
  • edited April 2010
    So far the design of the game seems top notch. I'm really digging things so far. It's impressive how far things have come in the last few years - and I love S&M Season 1.
  • edited April 2010
    Indeed, amazing job on the main titles. Overall design and structure of the episode is amazing, TTG have really outdone themselves this time
  • edited April 2010
    *high fives* The opening sequence was without a doubt epic. Too much going on in the credits background, though.
  • edited April 2010
    Youtube's being kinda irritating and mostly doesn't open for me but, I would play the tutorial just to see the opening again.
  • edited April 2010
    The titles were awesome! I love the last shot. Thanks Jake & Nick!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Thank Telltale's art director Dave Bogan for the first shots of Sam & Max leaping into the air and starting the DeSoto, and the last shots of Sam counting down and kicking through the door. It was great to get some awesome hand-animated support to open and close the sequence.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks for putting up the video! I was about to replay the game just to watch it.
  • edited April 2010
    Just curious, but what happened to the sepia toned pull-back on the end of the opening credits? (16:30 on this video)
  • edited April 2010
    Double thanks for uploading the video! I knew I had missed a lot of small background elements, and I wanted to go through and stop it at a few points. Fun stuff! And some REALLY nice character animation, too!
  • edited April 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    Just curious, but what happened to the sepia toned pull-back on the end of the opening credits? (16:30 on this video)
    I've gotta admit, I like that version better than the one in the actual credits.

Still, the rest of the credits is awesome.
  • edited April 2010
    If I have any complaints about the opening, it's that there's so many objects presented so quickly, it's impossible to take them all in. Of course, that just means that you notice something new every time you watch it.

Speaking of which, the Sammun-Mak brochure(?) was a nice touch.
  • edited April 2010
    I think that might be my favourite opening for anything ever.

Or I'm overreacting slightly because Sam and Max are in it, but it's still amazing.
  • edited April 2010
    I actually think that it beats the Simpsons opening.
  • edited April 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    16:30 on this video)
    Does anyone have another link for that vid?
    Apparently Q-bomb never heard of pre-loading, and I am not really looking forward to pauses each 5 second loading new stuff.
    And when clicking 'low' to get faster streaming that doesn't work, so that's no option either *sigh*.
  • edited April 2010
    That is awesome, especially the bit where the duo and Flint Paper shooting.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Randulf wrote: »
    That is awesome, especially the bit where the duo and Flint Paper shooting.

that's the first shot i did. probably took the longest... there's actually about 2-3 seconds of footage before and after what you see in game. plus all the zombie carnage you can't see on the peripherals. hmm... maybe i'll upload that
  • edited April 2010
    please do.
  • edited April 2010
    It's the best main title ever! When I saw it for the first time i was :eek: YEAH :D Also has the best music!
  • edited April 2010
    All the hard work paid off.... I rate that video up there with Curse's opening videos.
  • edited April 2010
    Yay they remodeled the office! For some reason that was my favourite part of the opening despite the fact that the animation was (probably) ripped from the Season 1 trailer (and the wall is green now, for some reason).
  • edited May 2010
    NickClick2 wrote: »
    Too much going on in the credits background, though.
    I actually love the way it is totally cluttered. Reminds me of their office. :)
    Apparently Q-bomb never heard of pre-loading, and I am not really looking forward to pauses each 5 second loading new stuff.
    Try DownloadHelper for Firefox.
  • edited May 2010
    At around about 0:14 when Sam just wooshes around to Max, for some reason I found that hilarious! It's the best intro yet and a great way to start an episode. This is the most tv show feeling intro yet and it's great!
  • edited May 2010
    SillyStell wrote: »
    It's the best intro yet and a great way to start an episode.
    Actually, not being right at the start, it feels like an eternity until it finally appears. :)
  • edited May 2010
    Actually, not being right at the start, it feels like an eternity until it finally appears. :)

But it's awesome when it does apear :cool:
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah you guys really did a great job and outdid yourselves with this title sequence. 10/10.

I rate the music 9/10 though. :o
  • edited May 2010
    I liked the opening, most of it.
    But I find the fragment between 0:10 and 0:14, with the characters pointing at the camera and laughing, rather dumbish...
    SillyStell wrote:
    At around about 0:14 when Sam just wooshes around to Max, for some reason I found that hilarious!
    That's precisely the thing I like the least of the whole intro...
  • edited June 2010
    I kinda like the part when Sam kicks in the door at the end.

I love this season's theme song in general. I actually found myself humming it in one of my classes :)
  • MRNMRN
    edited June 2010
    please do.

I second this
Sign in to comment in this discussion.