The Hidden People

By the look of the posted screenshots/videos and user comments, the hidden people are refered to as the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huldufólk"]Huldufólk[/URL], creatures from icelandic folklore.

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/Men_hur_kommer_man_in_i_berget,_frågade_tomtepojken.jpg/593px-Men_hur_kommer_man_in_i_berget,_frågade_tomtepojken.jpg[/IMG]

Being from Norway, I agree that they could be based on the Huldufólk, but looking at the pictures posted, I would say they are a combination of icelandic and scandinavian folklore. Iceland was a part of Norway until 600 years ago, so no big wonder why they should have common folklore.

In scandinavian folklore, we call the creature a "Nisse"(Norway & Denmark) or "Tomte" (Sweden).
They are small creatures, always hiding from humans, and often living on lofts in farms/houses, or more rarely in the forest. They like to live undisturbed, and can cause damage if not respected by humans.
488px-Nisse_d_apres_nature_ill_jnl_fal.png

In the Grickle-video "Hidden people", the scenario is a bit scary. Nisser is not seen as the most scary creatures in nordic folklore, but we have some other creepy ones:

Nøkken:
He is a underworld creature, lives in ponds/lakes and tries to drown people or animals by attracting them with spell-music, or by luring them in other ways. It is said that you can hear his terrifying and tearful screams right before suicides or deaths.
Pregnant or young women, and unbaptized infants are prefered victims.

TheodorKittelsenNokken.jpg

Troll:
They are evil, ugly, strong human-like creatures. They appear after sunset, and in the night they kill and plunder. Some trolls steal human babies from their beds, and sometimes exchange them with their own ugly offsprings.

kitt.troll.jpegaskeladden.jpgtroll.jpg

There are several other creatures in nordic folklore, you can watch a video of some here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-BVowBzVOo

I actually hope the Pilot game is as creepy as the "Hidden People"-video, and I think it would be an interesting step for Telltale.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    488px-Nisse_d_apres_nature_ill_jnl_fal.png
    This actually looks like something Annable used as reference for his design of the Hidden People. Trolls actually play a big part in a game I'm working on as well. It would be great if stuff like this actually existed; it would make things so much more interesting.

Oh, and hey it's May 4th!
  • edited May 2010
    Ne0n wrote: »
    By the look of the posted screenshots/videos and user comments, the hidden people are refered to as the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huldufólk"]Huldufólk[/URL], creatures from icelandic folklore.

That was me.

Too much Lazy Town, to be fair.
  • edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    That was me.

Too much Lazy Town, to be fair.

You are in no way uncorrect by calling them Huldufólk, because of the similarity between the folklores. ;)

Secret Fawful: Cool! Do the game-project have any title?
  • edited May 2010

Nøkken:
    He is a underworld creature, lives in ponds/lakes and tries to drown people or animals by attracting them with spell-music, or by luring them in other ways. It is said that you can hear his terrifying and tearful screams right before suicides or deaths.

Who the hell made up that crap? Were they on drugs or something when they thought up about that?? Dear lord, folklore gets creepier in every culture!
  • edited May 2010
    splash1: Hahah, yeah one can only wonder. I think one reason was to scare kids from walking near lakes alone. I would guess Christianity was part of shaping the folklores too, scaring parents to baptise their children with fear-stories.

A lot of folklores/mythologies are also created to explain certain things, for example if a lost child was last seen at a lake, but no body was found, one would guess that Nøkken had taken him.
  • edited May 2010
    Folklore are often cautionary tales.... Like stay the heck away from water kid or you will die!!!

Or be good or Santa will not make you toys!
  • edited May 2010

A lot of folklores/mythologies are also created to explain certain things, for example if a lost child was last seen at a lake, but no body was found, one would guess that Nøkken had taken him.

Why couldn't they just say: "Oh, yeah; your kid fell in the lake so go and mourn for 1/2 days."?
    Telling horror stories to your four year old about a lake creature that plays a guitar till you decide to jump in, is a good reason why people today are mentally ill.
  • edited May 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Who the hell made up that crap? Were they on drugs or something when they thought up about that?? Dear lord, folklore gets creepier in every culture!
    I know, right? I know one culture that has this omnipotent and omniscient being that kills 70,000 innocent civilians because one guy took a census, or forces a rapist and his victim to marry...unless she's "set to be married", in which case she should be stoned to death with her rapist.

Folklore is CREEPY.
  • edited May 2010

And that's exactly what makes it so fascinating. :D
  • edited May 2010
    I know, right? I know one culture that has this omnipotent and omniscient being that kills 70,000 innocent civilians because one guy took a census, or forces a rapist and his victim to marry...unless she's "set to be married", in which case she should be stoned to death with her rapist.

Folklore is CREEPY.

Which is why I find it amusing that some of my uber religious friends are allowed to read the Bible, but not good modern literature because "it is full of sin."
  • edited May 2010

Folklore is CREEPY.

I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by posting this. Deutoronomy does have some crazy stuff in it, but...

Ah, I'm not going to get into an argument with you about this. It's not worth it, unless I intended to get the thread locked.
  • edited May 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by posting this. Deutoronomy does have some crazy stuff in it, but...

Ah, I'm not going to get into an argument with you about this. It's not worth it, unless I intended to get the thread locked.

It's just Dashing. Don't take it so seriously.
  • edited May 2010
    What's important to remember is that the people who originally told these stories to their children weren't deliberating lying to them or making things up to scare them; they whole-heartedly believed in these stories themselves. The stories that survive in mythology and folklore were part of ancient oral and religious traditions passed down generation after generation, and they were no less significant to people's lives than the stories and beliefs of major world religions with written canon today. All religions feature stories with bizarre, supernatural, and even scary elements, but people nevertheless believe in them, and they form a meaningful and significant part of their culture and their lives.

That's more or less what Dashing was getting at, I think, but I've tried to phrase it in a more anthropological and culturally sensitive sort of way.
  • edited May 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »

Ah, I'll explain my point then.

The idea posited was that folklore and mythology of cultures other than the western, Judeo-Christian set was weird. The idea was, hey, let's grab some stuff from an accepted as "not weird" source and go with something that might turn a person's head. Might have gone overboard on it, though it wasn't intended to offend(as hard as that might be to believe), but it was done because I often deal in hyperbole. I have not been a Christian for some time, so I've somewhat lost the empathy to sense that line anymore, but I bear no ill will toward them(er, you) as a general rule.

I probably should have gone with "The world's most misbehaved children get flammable rocks for Christmas", or "There's a magical fairy who pours her bountiful riches into purchasing old teeth" though.
  • edited May 2010
    "There's a magical fairy who pours her bountiful riches into purchasing old teeth" though.

I never got the tooth fairy thing. What's her motivation? In France it's a mouse, who needs the tooth to use as furniture. And it being a mouse, it doesn't need money so it gives it instead. Also, it's small and goes unnoticed.
    It makes more sense to me. Plus it's neat imagining a whole town of tooth-furnitured mice located under your home.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I never got the tooth fairy thing. What's her motivation? In France it's a mouse, who needs the tooth to use as furniture. And it being a mouse, it doesn't need money so it gives it instead. Also, it's small and goes unnoticed.
    It makes more sense to me. Plus it's neat imagining a whole town of tooth-furnitured mice located under your home.

I always saw the Tooth-Fairy as making a necklace out of the teeth. I don't know why I thought this, but it made sense to me at the time. I never really wondered about the money, because I never got much money for my teeth.

The tooth mouse sounds really cute. I probably would have insisted on making a stuffed animal mouse after losing my teeth at that age.
  • edited May 2010

We have the mouse too, but I never knew it was because he need it for its forniture. Interesting.
  • edited May 2010
    I lol'd at that.

Mental images of a city of tooth-furnitured mice. That's funny
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Hehe! :D Telltale should make a game about that! :)
  • edited May 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »
    Hehe! :D Telltale should make a game about that! :)

There's an Argentinian Movie.
  • edited May 2010
    Is the Nøkken sometimes a horse that drowns anyone who attempts to ride it? I vaguely remember a water dweller like that, a Scandinavian version of a kelpie.

I always loved studying folklore. Seeing how stories or creatures move from one culture to the next is fascinating, and seeing how similar animals can be related to in totally different ways is interesting as well. Like how some cultures saw owls as symbols of wisdom and respected them, while others saw them as symbols of death and decay and considered them "cursed".
  • edited May 2010
    In France it's a mouse, who needs the tooth to use as furniture. And it being a mouse, it doesn't need money so it gives it instead. Also, it's small and goes unnoticed.

Holy crap that's the most adorable thing ever
  • edited May 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Is the Nøkken sometimes a horse that drowns anyone who attempts to ride it?

Yeah, some stories say he would transform himself into a beautiful horse to tempt people into riding him, and when they did, he would ride back into the water and drown them.
  • edited May 2010
    Bamse wrote: »
    Yeah, some stories say he would transform himself into a beautiful horse to tempt people into riding him, and when they did, he would ride back into the water and drown them.

.... Can folklore be burned?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    .... Can folklore be burned?

17th century witch hunters say yes.
  • edited May 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    17th century witch hunters say yes.

Unfortunately, their numbers have dwindled so only a Witchhunter Sargent and a Witchhunter Private remain of the Witchhunter army...

Gone are the glory days...
  • edited May 2010

Nøkken:

The Nokken, or Näcken as we call him, is very prominent in Swedish myth where he is portrayed as a beautiful naked man who would lure children and women to drown in lakes or streams with is enchanting violin music. He could also teach other musicians to play music like him in exchange for three drops of blood, a black animal and some vodka. This was at a very great risk, because the musicians would often get enchanted by the music and couldn’t stop playing until he died of exhaustion.

There’s a contest every year in my home county, Jamtland, called Näcken of the year. Where men compete in imitating the näcken by playing music in a cold river completely naked (they are only allowed to cover themselves with material found in the woods). The winner gets the title Näcken of the year and a 2000 kronor (about 200$) gift certificate. A very hilarious tradition if I say so myself.

Heres the homepage of the [URL="http://www.näck.nu/"]competion[/URL]
  • edited May 2010
    There’s a contest every year in my home county, Jamtland, called Näcken of the year. Where men compete in imitating the näcken by playing music in a cold river completely naked

How do they decide on the winner, most women and children drowned?
  • edited May 2010
    How do they decide on the winner, most women and children drowned?
    Please, that's ridiculous. How in the world could they measure which man drowned which women and children? It would be a nightmare to sort it all out.
  • edited May 2010
    Please, that's ridiculous. How in the world could they measure which man drowned which women and children? It would be a nightmare to sort it all out.

The first man to call dibs on a kill scores a point.
  • edited May 2010

True, that’s why they changed the rules during the 80’s. Now the winner is decided by his music talent and the originality of his costume.:D
  • edited May 2010
    True, that’s why they changed the rules during the 80’s. Now the winner is decided by his music talent and the originality of his costume.:D
    Didn't they also change the name to Eurovision Song Contest? *shudder*

np: Jamie Lidell - You Are Waking (Compass)
  • edited May 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    Didn't they also change the name to Eurovision Song Contest? *shudder*

np: Jamie Lidell - You Are Waking (Compass)

Sush! You're not supposed to know that!:D

I remember there I used to watch a cartoon about the Teeth mice when I was little. Found it here on youtube!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.