WTF is Grickle / The Puzzle Agent? (next Telltale game)

This is the first time Ive heard of Grickle Today, Ive just seen the feature for 'The Puzzle Agent' (aka Grickle) on youtube. Quite frankly Im not a fan of the animation or style , Its got that garry larson farside blandness to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTL8uJt1lvk

I want to be fair and say I'd give it a chance but all my instincts tell me that this game is Bad and a poor choice for telltale

So maybe I havent heard of this before because im from the Uk I just wanted to know peoples thoughts on this next game with a poll

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Dage wrote: »
    garry larson farside blandness

:eek::eek::eek:

Otherwise, we started hearing about it around the time Sam & Max Season 3 was released, and then there was the whole thing with people receiving iPods and erasers. And everyone was waiting for the 4th of March since it was announced from the start that we're hear more then... And that's when the preorders started.
  • edited May 2010
    This is the first time Ive heard of Grickle Today, Ive just seen the feature for 'The Puzzle Agent' (aka Grickle) on youtube. Quite frankly Im not a fan of the animation or style , Its got that garry larson farside blandness to it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTL8uJt1lvk

I want to be fair and say I'd give it a chance but all my instincts tell me that this game is Bad and a poor choice for telltale

So maybe I havent heard of this before because im from the Uk I just wanted to know peoples thoughts on this next game with a poll

I'm from the UK too and I think this is great! However, I hope they don't end up forgetting about traditional point and click adventure games as it's my understanding that that was how Telltale formed - to keep the genre going.
  • edited May 2010

You apparently haven't been paying attention:
    Jake wrote: »
    Grickle's been a part of the company since its founding. It's kind of weird, but in a way Grickle is to Telltale what Sam & Max was to LucasArts -- it's one of those things that's sort of always been around the studio, so for us it made a lot of sense to go there for a project like this.

Also, if you really want to get down to it, our first game was a comedy poker game, so this is closer to the "core" people are now familiar with than some of our stuff :P
  • edited May 2010
    Maybe you should watch some of these to get an idea of the humor and characters.

http://www.youtube.com/user/grickle?blend=1&ob=4
  • edited May 2010
    Whoever voted it looks bad is in a world all to themselves.
  • edited May 2010
    Whoever voted it looks bad is in a world all to themselves.
    As of right now, that'd be the thread creator(the poll results are public).
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I'm from the UK too and I think this is great! However, I hope they don't end up forgetting about traditional point and click adventure games as it's my understanding that that was how Telltale formed - to keep the genre going.

We're trying to branch out a bit, stretching our arms a little with Grickle, after shipping almost 30 episodes of SCUMM style adventures, but obviously we love making that stuff or we wouldn't have made so much of it already. It's not going anywhere :)
  • edited May 2010
    We're trying to branch out a bit, stretching our arms a little with Grickle, after shipping almost 30 episodes of SCUMM style adventures, but obviously we love making that stuff or we wouldn't have made so much of it already. It's not going anywhere :)

That's what I like to hear!:D Keep 'em coming!
  • edited May 2010

It's allways great to have a wide pallet
  • edited May 2010
    It's allways great to have a wide pallet

I agree

wooden-pallet.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I agree
    Man, my life got better since I bought one. It now lies in my room at home. Sometimes I bring it to the office, enjoying it's company.
  • edited May 2010
    Majus wrote: »
    Man, my life got better since I bought one. It now lies in my room at home. Sometimes I bring it to the office, enjoying it's company.

...oops
    That one wasn't me then...
    brokenwoodpallet.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    I have to admit, recently I was watching the videos on the main page and ended up watching "The Hidden People." I was like "wtf?? is this for a game?" It seemed really creepy and stuff. Not at all what I was expecting at TTG's website.

I voted "I'll give it a chance" because I know Telltale is awesome, but I'll have you know that if it were developed by another independent game company, I probably wouldn't give it a second thought.
  • edited May 2010
    I loved because I love Dank/Dunk and the fact I go WTF all the time with those videos.
  • edited May 2010
    I'll wait for the demo first :)
  • edited May 2010
    I'd also have to say I'll give it a chance. The style and design of Grickle is abit too freaky for my liking and I've never been a big fan of it. While I won't be preordering it I'll see how it works out but to be honest I have my doubts on this one.
  • edited May 2010
    So.... excuse me if it has been answered already... what is the length of this game? Is there voice acting or is it just text? What is the puzzle / story ratio?

I want to pre-order and take a gamble but more information would be keen.
  • edited May 2010

You don't even know how much I'm loving this right now. I know you're making a big conscious risk with this one. I really hope it isn't too "freaky" for the public, because this is such a good chance for something unique and great.
  • edited May 2010
    I would definitely not mind a horror adventure, but by the looks of it, this wont be that.

And yeah, not sure I like the looks of it either. But with the 50% deal they practically give it to me WITH money I guess, so, sure... why not in that case? :D
  • edited May 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Is there voice acting or is it just text?

Considering there's this screenshot:

diner_dialog.jpg

I would bet that it's just text.
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah that is the screen that made me believe it may just be text.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Heh, I like all the TTG people who've voted "Looks Great"! :p
  • edited May 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »

I always believed this things were annonymus.

Now I'm going to think two times first before voting on something...
    edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »

They can be either public or private, it will say at the top if it's a public poll.

I probably skip voting on the public ones about half the time. :p
  • edited May 2010
    I am still kind of on the fence about this one.... I am worried I will not get my $10 worth.
    edited May 2010
    No harm in waiting, Irishmile... just see what people say about it in a month's time. I'm sure there'll be no shortage of opinions. ;)
  • edited May 2010
    I saw a commercial for Trauma Team that had word balloons AND spoken lines.
    Of course it was an ad, and it's not that uncommon for them to put spoken lines in them when there are none in the games.
    But I thought it worked fine. So while I also think it probably has no spoken dialogue, I don't think that spoken dialogue + word balloons would work badly.
  • edited May 2010
    They can be either public or private, it will say at the top if it's a public poll.

I probably skip voting on the public ones about half the time. :p
    Why would anybody at Telltale be reluctant to say it looks great? The company probably wouldn't be making the game if most of the people involved weren't already fans of Graham's work! :)

Especially when the cutscenes look almost exactly like Graham's own cartoons.
    edited May 2010
    Chuck wrote: »
    Why would anybody at Telltale be reluctant to say it looks great?

They definitely shouldn't be reluctant to say it looks great... because it does!

I like the way all the TTG people on here seem genuinely excited/pleased when they talk about stuff the company is working on. It's cool and shows you are doing something very right. :)
  • edited May 2010
    On the subject of text versus voice, it could also be that the speech bubbles are a replacement of the subtitles. So there's voice, AND text. That would be a pretty novel way to handle subtitles in my opinion.
  • edited May 2010
    I hope it has voices, but I can live without em
  • edited May 2010
    I really hope it doesn't have voices. Voices in a Grickle game just...doesn't seem right.
  • edited May 2010
    Unless they're monkey voices!
  • edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »

The Internet .. 'Home of the brave' :rolleyes:

and even though I said it looked bad I would of course check out a demo if one would be available im not totally ignorant
  • edited May 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I am still kind of on the fence about this one.... I am worried I will not get my $10 worth.
    Then get it AND get $10,- ;).
  • edited May 2010
    I really hope it doesn't have voices. Voices in a Grickle game just...doesn't seem right.

I'm not sure about this, but I think you can turn the voices off and just use the subtitles (or in this case: text balloons) in every Telltale game so far. I've never tried playing it without voices, but there you go.

I don't know if I want Nelson to talk or not. It would be odd for a character like that to have an actual human voice, but then again, everything about this project so far has been (pleasantly) odd. Maybe the characters all talk in some sort of Animal Crossing-like gibberish. That would make it easier to localize the game at least.
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010

This video game looks great and I'm going to buy it and tell all my friends to buy it. It's great. Buy it.

:winslow:
  • edited May 2010
    Unless they're monkey voices!

I would not mind at all if the monkey screech made a cameo appearance.
  • edited May 2010
    I notice Jake didn't vote "Looks Great!" Maybe he wants to wait and give it a chance, or maybe...gasp!...he thinks it looks BAD! :eek:
  • edited May 2010
    I could see this game with mumbled nonsense speech (similar to the adults on Peanuts cartoons, or the LEGO games or Raving Rabbids), with the inflections showing the mood of the speaker. Saves on localisation costs too.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.