Voice Acting?

2»

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I kind of get what you mean about his voice being too "young". His first office is expansive, has an impressive view and is painfully empty. I got the feeling that he was an older man, very introverted and slightly paranoid and fearful. The new office is cluttered, dark, below ground level and looks like a teen's basement bedroom. Coupled with his voice I get the feeling that Tethers is actually a young, cheery guy who joined the FBI to have "adventures" but has never really gotten the chance. He seems like more of an "everyman" who will be the easiest character to identify with, which is a great PC for a mystery game :)

Of course he also sounds almost exactly the same as he did playing Kaysen in "Deadly Premonitions" but really, really different at the same time. That's pretty impressive, I think :)
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited June 2010
    Also remember that "Grickle" is NOT just the videos! There is an entire collection of comics that also fall under the header of Grickle. These have a LOT of "talking" and have a different feel from the videos. I used ALL of Grahams collective Grickle work as inspiration.

I highly suggest reading the comics as well. Also funny and darkly twisted but in an entirely different way!
  • edited June 2010
    Then i just seem to like the dark and silent side of Grickle, which is captured in the videos, more. Btw the other voices sound good, it's just Nelson sounding so nah...
  • edited June 2010
    I thinks he sounds different from what I expected, but that doesn't mean he sounds bad. Thinking about it, having a depressed person experience strange things, he'd probably be less likely to over react to them. An excitable, younger guy is more likely to get unnerved and scream his head off like the guys in Anable's flash animations :D
  • edited June 2010
    I just love the voice of Nelson. Really. I found it just Spot on. It's like the character was done for the voice and not the other way around.

But, of course, that could be me also.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I thinks he sounds different from what I expected, but that doesn't mean he sounds bad. Thinking about it, having a depressed person experience strange things, he'd probably be less likely to over react to them. An excitable, younger guy is more likely to get unnerved and scream his head off like the guys in Anable's flash animations :D
    I don't think so, actually you described it pretty good with slightly paranoid and fearful, and a tiny touch of depressed. ;O) But hey, i also don't want Charlie Chaplin talking in a movie, or Mr. Bean.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, but if he's a slightly paranoid and fearful guy in a town of slightly paranoid and fearful people he won't really stand out. And Charlie Chaplin actually had a beautiful speaking voice; I wish he could have made more talkies! :p Even Lon Chaney was amazing in his last film, "The Unholy Three". It's one of the reasons I like the talkie version better, along with Harry Earls great performance. His German accent makes him really hard to understand, but he's got a fantastic delivery at the same time.

Anyway, a "silent" game would have been really interesting to play, but the voices do work, thankfully.
  • edited June 2010
    I feel like Ginny. The voice sounds perfect to me.
  • edited June 2010
    All of the voice acting in the trailer sounded wonderful to me.
  • edited June 2010
    I originally didn't want voice acting, but this trailer has changed my mind. The voice is pretty spot on, I'm glad it isn't dull. Can't wait.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Yeah, but if he's a slightly paranoid and fearful guy in a town of slightly paranoid and fearful people he won't really stand out. And Charlie Chaplin actually had a beautiful speaking voice; I wish he could have made more talkies! :p Even Lon Chaney was amazing in his last film, "The Unholy Three". It's one of the reasons I like the talkie version better, along with Harry Earls great performance. His German accent makes him really hard to understand, but he's got a fantastic delivery at the same time.

Anyway, a "silent" game would have been really interesting to play, but the voices do work, thankfully.
    I wouldn't say so, the videos work just perfectly fine, so do Chaplin's movies or Bean's sketches. It's just a different art form and game design which personally i would have prefered, although i can understand that it's probably safer and attracts more people if done as a talkie version. But when you're doing a talkie, then i have to say that the voice from the trailer doesn't suit the character, in a way i undertstand/enjoy/want him to be.

You know there more important things in life to me so whatever but i also have to say that this instantly annoyed me and looking back at some Grickle videos, i definately would prefer it beeing more like the videos.

Maybe like a beautiful woman who amazes you, until, until she starts talking with a unsuitable voice - and i'm not valueing what she says, yet!
  • edited June 2010
    I'm sure you can turn the voices off if they really bother you though. In which case you could play it as the "silent" game you seem to want, and people who prefer voices can opt for voices. It seems like the more comprehensive option.
  • edited June 2010
    I really do agree with Ginny and Avistew too. Nelson's voice is excellent. It has character, it's not annoying or unrealistic. It makes the character become a bit more real and human. Which is good - the creepiness and atmosphere comes from the mix of realism and the obscure. And MADNESS.
  • edited June 2010
    I suspect this only works satisfying to a certain degree as mostly this means the design must take this into account as well and i doubt that they considered this but i wouldn't mind beeing proven wrong here.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I'm sure you can turn the voices off if they really bother you though. In which case you could play it as the "silent" game you seem to want, and people who prefer voices can opt for voices. It seems like the more comprehensive option.
    That would work best if the game treated the inevitable screams as sound effects instead of as voices. You'd still have the screams then even if you turned voices off :)
  • edited June 2010
    Subtitles plus such sfx could be an option but i doubt that the speech will be split in two layers.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.