Sameth and Maximus

I mean really guys, was that the best you could come up with? The names make me cringe every time I hear someone speak them. Sameth sounds like some bizarre attempt at middle English (aka. Ye Olde Englishe to idiots) and Maximus is Latin. D;
These characters are living in NYC in 1901! Just off the top of my head calling them Samuel and Maximilian would be a little more appropriate.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I found it funny. *shrugs*
  • I suppose I just find it a bit embarrassing, like the London Olympic mascots!
  • edited May 2010
    Where'd you get 1901 from?

I didn't notice any specific date reference.
  • I can't remember where, but I'm sure I saw that somewhere. It's too specific for me to have imagined it... Anyway, it's clearly turn of the century by the setting and the obsession with Egypt.
  • edited May 2010
    Right at the start it says, when it's still obviously a film.
    I thought it was 1902 though...
  • You might be right there actually.
  • edited May 2010
    I thought it was just supposed to be overly formal versions of their names. Also, it says 1902 in the trailer and 1901 in the game. I'm gonna stick with the game said.
  • edited May 2010
    These characters are living in NYC in 1901! Just off the top of my head calling them Samuel and Maximilian would be a little more appropriate.

I think that may be the reason they didn't call them that (that and those are modern-Sam and Max's most common elongations). And Sameth is apparently a Germanic surname, which is amusing considering the whole Stuttgart thing. Not really the worst thing to complain about at any rate.
  • edited May 2010
    Like anything in that episode had anything that lived down the road from appropriate.
  • edited May 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    Like anything in that episode had anything that lived down the road from appropriate.

Good point. The game is about an anthromorhpic talking Dog and Rabbit. Not much more needs to be said.
  • Yeah, you're both right. I guess I just find them a little cringeworthy.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    I mean really guys, was that the best you could come up with? The names make me cringe every time I hear someone speak them. Sameth sounds like some bizarre attempt at middle English (aka. Ye Olde Englishe to idiots) and Maximus is Latin. D;

Says "Sir Primalform Magnifico" ;)
  • Shush you, your username isn't even pronounceable. Nickttg... it sounds like I'm choking!
    Anyway, my name is from a song... =(
  • edited May 2010
    Shush you, your username isn't even pronounceable. Nickttg... it sounds like I'm choking!
    Anyway, my name is from a song... =(

TTG is short for Telltale games.
  • edited May 2010
    I was okay with the names. They're changed just enough that it would pin the two as separate characters while still keeping them familiar; at the same time, they're not long or complicated enough to make it awkward in the writing.

I mean, who would want to have to say their friend's entire name every time they spoke if it was a mouthful? It would disrupt the flow of the dialogue and possibly kill some of the jokes.
  • Avistew wrote: »
    TTG is short for Telltale games.

Haha, this made me giggle. I did in fact work that out, I was just joking. I thought that was obvious?
  • edited May 2010
    Haha, this made me giggle. I did in fact work that out, I was just joking. I thought that was obvious?

Honestly, when I don't know someone on the Internet, I try not to assume they're joking. I'd rather look like a fool that way than the other way around, I guess :p
  • edited May 2010
    I like 'Sameth'. It sounds Turkish...
  • Avistew wrote: »
    Honestly, when I don't know someone on the Internet, I try not to assume they're joking. I'd rather look like a fool that way than the other way around, I guess :p

Good point! Omegabin makes a good point too. Sometimes you almost don't hear the 'eth' in Sameth. Maximus is a tad more clunky though.
  • edited May 2010
    Like I said on the locked thread, Sameth reminds me of Prince Sameth from Garth Nix's Old Kingdom trilogy. He was a main character and I think his name was always shortened to Sam.
  • edited May 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    I thought it was just supposed to be overly formal versions of their names. Also, it says 1902 in the trailer and 1901 in the game. I'm gonna stick with the game said.

I never watched the trailer and I remember 1902, so I don't know what you're talking ab-oh crap, you're right.

1901.png

Well, if I didn't watch the trailer, then where the hell did I get 1902 from?
  • edited May 2010
    I remember wondering why the game was a year earlier than the trailer. When it started I thought maybe it took place a year prior to when the rest of the episode would...
    It's a bit weird, though.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Trailer failer :(

Or title card fail...tlecard
  • edited May 2010
    Samuel and Maximilian would have been too predictable. Something like, say, Samithamby and Maximiglio would have been too absurd. I think they found an appropriate middle ground.
  • edited May 2010

Samuel and Maximillian ARE Sam & Max full names (At least in the Telltale games, since in the cartoon it was Maxwell). They grandparents having the same names would have been boring. The trick is having similar but at the same time diferent names...
  • edited May 2010
    Sometimes you almost don't hear the 'eth' in Sameth.
    That's because Maximus sometimes says "Sam" instead of "Sameth".
  • edited May 2010
    I'm guessing that the nicknames were force of habit mistakes on the voice actors' parts, since the names are pretty much all subtitled in their full form and the nicknames weren't used later in the game (at least from what I can remember).

If they were intentional, then that's actually pretty darn cute ;)
  • edited May 2010
    Well, if I didn't watch the trailer, then where the hell did I get 1902 from?
    I accidentally used 1902 on the WikCan't help you there. *whistles nonchalantly*
  • edited May 2010
    Figures, one of the rare times I even look at the wiki, I get fed misinformation...

And I see you fixed it where I used 1902 on Jurgen's article.

I kid, the wiki is awesome!
  • edited May 2010
    I know a Maximus, and they're not called Samuel and Maximillian because present day Sam & Max are called that (though usually abbreviated)
  • edited May 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    Like I said on the locked thread, Sameth reminds me of Prince Sameth from Garth Nix's Old Kingdom trilogy. He was a main character and I think his name was always shortened to Sam.

Yay! I loved those books. Can't wait for the new ones to come out.

I was expecting Maximilian too, but it didn't bother me.
  • edited May 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Trailer failer :(

Or title card fail...tlecard

You're fired.
  • edited May 2010
    I like their names, and they're supposed to have English-like names. America was still sponging off of Britans.
  • splash1 wrote: »
    they're supposed to have English-like names. America was still sponging off of Britans.

Well, Maximus isn't English-like and Sameth is only English-like if you think that "olde englishe was like this-eth" instead of being like this.

Anyway, everyone has pointed out that Samuel and Maximilian are just the full names of present day Sam & Max.
    Something like, say, Samithamby and Maximiglio would have been too absurd. I think they found an appropriate middle ground.

Aww, I like Samithamby! You have a different idea of absurd when you realise the Victorians considered Wilbraham a name.
  • edited May 2010

It has to be mentioned that the argument that Maximus is latin, and therefore unsuitable doesn't float. Maximillian is Latin too. It's derived from Maximus, but it was in use in the third century, so it's hardly a new name. Source: http://www.behindthename.com/name/maximilian
  • My point was more that Maximilian is still in use whereas Maximus isn't.
  • You're not alone. I cringe at their names too. Samuel and Maximilian both sound a lot better, and even if these are the full names of present day Sam and Max, it's not like we're ever going to hear them used as often as we had to hear "Sameth" and "Maximus."

*shudders*

I even cringe when I type them out...
  • edited May 2010
    I like Maximus as a name, it worked. but Sameth could have very well been Samwise
  • edited May 2010
    I like Maximus as a name, but Sameth confuses me. Was it ever actually used as a name?

>_>

<_<

Considering that my name is Samuel, could I use Sameth as a name?!
  • edited May 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    ...Sameth could have very well been Samwise

Why do want me to hate Sam, why?

Only other Sam I can think of is Samson, but it dun fit too well.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.