106 Alternate Icon -BSotM Spoilers-

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
In one of the Bright Side of the Moon commentaries, it's mentioned that Telltale originally designed the BSotM icon to feature Hugh Bliss's face on the moon, rather than just Sam. Now, I know this is a long shot, but is there any way you guys might still have that original icon somewhere? To be honest, ever since I got Season 1 of S&M a few months ago, I always thought that icon just seemed a bit.. generic. No offense to Sam or anything, but his face just doesn't capture the episode. I'd love to have that original Hugh Bliss icon on my desktop.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Hey, same here. This reminds me of the alternate 204 icon where instead of Bosco being sucked up by T.H.E.M, he was in his store looking up at a bright light. I have the small version of the icon but I would love to have a full sized version.
    picture.php?albumid=25&pictureid=247
  • edited May 2010
    Dang, now I want a full sized version of that as well!
  • edited May 2010
    I might set out to make this on wednesday...
  • edited May 2010
    You would officially be the best person in the world.
  • edited May 2010

Wait you can make a full sized version? Where were you two years ago?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    I've got PSDs for both of those icons... I think. They were both changed largely because of readability at small sizes. Hugh Bliss as the moon just looked like a yellow blob, and Bosco looking up at the light looked like a blobby painting of either Jesus or Mary looking to the heavens, so we switched to things which could be more clearly seen at tiny sizes. Also, in the case of 106, we switched to Sam's head instead of Hugh's so the beginning and end of the season could be sort of bookended with Max at one end and Sam at the other.
  • edited May 2010
    Why do I have a sudden, insatiable craving for toast?
  • edited May 2010
    jesus_toast.jpg
    Mmm...it's heavenly.
  • edited May 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    I've got PSDs for both of those icons... I think. They were both changed largely because of readability at small sizes. Hugh Bliss as the moon just looked like a yellow blob, and Bosco looking up at the light looked like a blobby painting of either Jesus or Mary looking to the heavens, so we switched to things which could be more clearly seen at tiny sizes. Also, in the case of 106, we switched to Sam's head instead of Hugh's so the beginning and end of the season could be sort of bookended with Max at one end and Sam at the other.

Could you post both in the large sizes? Pleeaasse?
  • edited May 2010

Oh, I was going to make it as Hugh Bliss' face with a moon background. and i still am
  • edited May 2010
    Oh, I was going to make it as Hugh Bliss' face with a moon background. and i still am

Yes, that would be cool. Do that.
  • edited May 2010
    I still want the ones Jake was talking about aswell though
  • edited June 2010
    I made three.

Here's one with Hugh's face on the moon.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1557&stc=1&d=1275402092
    Here's one with Hugh's face transparent showing some moon.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1558&stc=1&d=1275402130
    Here's one with Hugh's face EXCEPT FOR HIS EYES, MO, MOUTH, EYEBROWS AND GOATEE transparent showing some moon.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1559&stc=1&d=1275402185
    Tell me which one you like most and I'll upload a .ico and then we just need to hassle Jake for the real ones!

(The last two aren't the best for small sizes)
  • edited June 2010
    Nice job, but can you edit one so that part of his head is overlapping the border around the badge?
  • edited June 2010
    Very nice. I think I like the first one without any transparency best.

Also, I'd still like to see the original official one from Telltale, which had the Hugh Moon from Reality 2.0 and BSotM on it.
  • edited June 2010
    Anyone else think of Andros for Star Fox with that third one?
  • edited June 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    Anyone else think of Andros for Star Fox with that third one?

Ooo...with the eyes and all, yeah...Wonder where the brain tendrils are now...
    edited June 2010
    Here are the various rejected icons:

204-alt.png
    106-alt1.png

106-alt2.png
  • edited June 2010
    *Icons*

*sees, gets excited, saves, feels semi-content*
  • edited June 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Nice job, but can you edit one so that part of his head is overlapping the border around the badge?

That's not how the season 1 ones go, though

*faints*
  • edited June 2010
    That's not how the season 1 ones go, though.
    *points at Abe Lincoln Must Die! icon* That one does.
  • edited June 2010
    Power46 wrote: »
    *points at Abe Lincoln Must Die! icon* That one does.

The icon was updated when it got made free to be more "new" like the season 2 icons.
  • edited June 2010
    The icon was updated when it got made free to be more "new" like the season 2 icons.

Ah, okay.
  • edited June 2010

They're... amazing.
  • edited June 2010
    can someone make .icos, because my ones end up with a white "residue" around them
  • edited June 2010
    can someone make .icos, because my ones end up with a white "residue" around them

http://www.convertico.com/, my friend.

Links: BSOTM Alt 2: http://convertico.com/images/1275441391.44/106-alt2.ico
    COTD Alt: http://www.convertico.com/images/1275441638.12/204-alt.ico
  • edited June 2010
    Dang! That's useful! I'll have to convert that Alternate 101 icon I made so it can have desktop use, too!
  • edited June 2010
    he was right about bright side of the moon, thats very blurry, the other one is very nice though
  • edited June 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    he was right about bright side of the moon, thats very blurry, the other one is very nice though

i have a dark desktop, i can see it fine
    edited June 2010

Incorrect! Chuckles' head has always popped out of that icon. It was the only Season One icon to work that way. There was a draft of the 106 icon where Sam's hat popped out, too, but it looked bad.
  • edited June 2010
    Incorrect! Chuckles' head has always popped out of that icon. It was the only Season One icon to work that way. There was a draft of the 106 icon where Sam's hat popped out, too, but it looked bad.

so then why did you do it like that? that's the only reason i've ever believed, and now you've shattered my belief in mankind. WHY, GOD, WHYYYY?
  • edited June 2010
    so then why did you do it like that? that's the only reason i've ever believed, and now you've shattered my belief in mankind. WHY, GOD, WHYYYY?

If I had to guess, the reasoning behind it is that it would have cut off Chuckles's hair, and it would have made it look like he had little to no hair. That would have been bad.
  • edited June 2010
    Power46 wrote: »
    If I had to guess, the reasoning behind it is that it would have cut off Chuckles's hair, and it would have made it look like he had little to no hair. That would have been bad.

Aah! I see it now... that would have been VERY bad!
    edited June 2010
    I always tried to do whatever it would take to make the icon still read well at 32x32. It's not easy with 3D characters. Letting Chuckles pop out of the icon helped the shape of his head make more sense.
  • edited June 2010
    As long as we're on the topic of alternate icons, Jake, do you still have the ones you worked up for Penal Zone? I remember the "My Games" page had an alternate 301 icon for a while.
  • edited June 2010
    WOW, okay wow! Those icons are beautiful, and after two long years I finally have the full sized version of the original 204 icon!!!!
    I love you. Not really, just the icons.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1561&stc=1&d=1275443219

How did you do that, anyway?
  • edited June 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    As long as we're on the topic of alternate icons, Jake, do you still have the ones you worked up for Penal Zone? I remember the "My Games" page had an alternate 301 icon for a while.

Also, Jake, what made you decide to not use a badge for season 3?
  • edited June 2010
    Also, Jake, what made you decide to not use a badge for season 3?

Because Season 3 and badge icons are so far terrible.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.