Very awesome but I just can't picture it

edited June 2010 in Back to the Future
Telltale has not failed us yet, but I simply cannot imagine a good Back to the Future game. (this does not mean I'm not going to buy it asap)

For one thing, the entire movie series is really.. nevrous. Even though they literally have all the time in the world, they are always in a big hurry. Adventure games cannot be in a big hurry.
Next, anything short of perfectly realistic models will look really really wrong. Now, I'm not saying Telltale can't do this, but I have never seen a video game model look exactly like, or close enough to the person they're supposed to look like. (If you have an example, please show!)

I have no doubt that Telltale will make me realise how wrong I was when I play the first episode, but right now I just can't see it.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I personally think that trying to look like actors pretty much always fails. When you use caricatures though it tends to look much better. Not sure if they want to go for a realistic feel or not.
  • edited June 2010
    Honestly, the only game I can think of that does a really good job of this are the more recent WWE games.
  • edited June 2010
    I think I'd like cartoony characters rather than stiff models such as in CSI.
  • edited June 2010
    I was thinking along the lines of the cartoon and comic in regard to character models:

BTTFanimated.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    Telltale does have some experience making 3d models that look like real people because of CSI-- not that I love those models, mind you. Or have even played the game, just watched trailers. Honestly, after having seen the CSI models, I hope they go for a caricature.
  • edited June 2010
    It would probably easier if they don't go for all out realism.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, please telltale don't make the models based on the animated series .... :(
    Don't make it so accurate like CSI either.

Make them both cartoony and real .. if there's such a thing as that :)
    as if models where 35% caricatures of the actors and 65% real faces.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think that graphically a realistic approach to this is absolutely necessary. There are a lot of caricatures and comic styles that would work quite well.

I sure wouldn't mind playing the games if they looked like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBw9E2Q_aY
  • edited June 2010
    The Telltale Engine has had a lot of improvements since the CSI games.

I don't really care what the art direction is like, but I'm thinking stylised-realistic, sort of like th Clone Wars CGI cartoon (but perhaps without the Manga eyes) could work well.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm hoping for something similar as the Wii version of the Ghostbusters game. The xbox and ps3 versions looked pretty awful with their "realistic models", whereas the Wii version got beautiful caricatures.
  • edited June 2010
    DarthBo wrote: »
    I'm hoping for something similar as the Wii version of the Ghostbusters game. The xbox and ps3 versions looked pretty awful with their "realistic models", whereas the Wii version got beautiful caricatures.

Agreed!
  • edited June 2010
    DarthBo wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I'm talking about.
    I haven't played Ghostbusters yet;
    But I saw the screen shots and wow they did a great job making Bill Murray (:D) and co look both like themselves and their caricatures
    ghostbusterspsp.jpg
    ghostbusters-the-video-game-20071204041717527.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    ^ I guess something like this would fit both Telltale's style and the spirit of the franchise. Works for me.
  • edited June 2010
    I enjoyed Back to the Future a lot as a kid. Part one was great, part two was at least partly okayish and part three was just dissapointing. Dunno, will there be a fourth film or are people still this interested in Back to the Future?

I think you can make a good as well as a bad game with this franchise but honestly there are way more exctiting things on this planet these days than Back to the Future.

Out of an impulse this more falls into the i-do-not-care-CSI-category.
  • edited June 2010
    Those kinds of pics (a bit spruced up obviously) is exactly how i'd envision the game.

TTG have done a good job, as far as i'm concerned, on all the games i've played (ToMI; S&M; Wallace & Gromit). With the cash injection they'll probably have on this project i'm sure they can come up with something very good.
  • edited June 2010
    I want Majus to design the characters
  • edited June 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I want Majus to design the characters

I don't. :p
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I don't. :p

Majus would do a good job, designing the charachters because he is loyal to back to the future. I think he would do an awesome job because he cares for the series.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    Dunno, will there be a fourth film or are people still this interested in Back to the Future?

There will not be a fourth movie if Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis can prevent it. And yes, people are still this interested in Back to the Future. ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Well, then it might just be me who isn't.
  • edited June 2010
    Im excited for the game and also trying not to get my hopes up, I think its a bad idea to beleive the hype!

I Honestly hope this works out for telltale and doesnt do any damage to Telltales name.

I cant Imagine either Jurrassic Park or BTTF being point n click style games, I'd always imagined BTTF being more like a GTA style RPG (www.bttfhillvalley.co.uk) with the ability to actually drive the car etc

Also BTTF is FULL of Time Paradox's , the most notible being Old Biff going back in time and changing the future BUT he returned the Car back to his original future ( I guess this was needed to have a villan change the time line) Also John Connors Father couldnt have been from the future In The First 'Unaltered' Timeline and if Doc was stuck in 1885 , surely 1955 Doc could just rebember not to let Marty Anywhere near the Time Machine to start with!

I honestly hope its a bit like 'Day Of The Tenticle' being able to jump back and forth in time as Doc's Kids (is that what they did in the BTTF cartoon ?)

Anyway Good Luck to Telltale I will always support them x
  • edited June 2010
    This is almost too good to be true. I mean, I really need proof....
    just give us a bloody screenshot! :D
  • edited June 2010
    After watching an episode of the BTTF cartoon I can totally see it being a episodic series. To base it directly from the movie story however seems like a bad idea

Back to The Future - Animated Series
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcUMAv2Rp0
  • edited June 2010
    Dage wrote: »
    Also BTTF is FULL of Time Paradox's , the most notible being Old Biff going back in time and changing the future BUT he returned the Car back to his original future ( I guess this was needed to have a villan change the time line) Also John Connors Father couldnt have been from the future In The First 'Unaltered' Timeline and if Doc was stuck in 1885 , surely 1955 Doc could just rebember not to let Marty Anywhere near the Time Machine to start with!

You're not only forgetting about the "time ripple effect," you also appear to be incorporating elements of the Terminator series
  • edited June 2010
    I don't think it'll work.
  • edited June 2010
    thatdude98 wrote: »

Telltale can make an action adventure game.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, wait til it hits 88mph, and then we'll see for ourselves.
  • edited June 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Telltale can make an action adventure game.

Telltale's first game was an action adventure game, it didn't work out so well. :(

That said, I still have faith in their ability to make a much more competent game now.

PS: I know that was made by Lucasarts, but if you can't see a large number of Telltalers in those credits, you're blind. :p
  • edited June 2010
    thatdude98 wrote: »

This.

OH! Self quoting! What now, punks? What now?

I have no life... :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.