Graphics

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Kaldire wrote: »
    should this poll even exist?

has TTG ever EVER made a non cartoonish game? even the CSI rendition was more cartoonish than any other previous version of the game

yea not voting.. already know how it will be

Clearly you've never seen CSI:NY: The Game.

csiny9interogationmac.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    I don't think Telltale made that game.
  • edited August 2010
    SHODANfreeman: Why would you have to be 5 years old to appreciate an art style?
    DoLorean: I'm just trying to say that they look childish.
    Spykes: So anything hand drawn or any artistic interpretation of a real person looks childish according to you?
    DeLorean: When did I say that? I just don't want it look like a cartoon.

Cartoon doesn't just have one look, so in a way you did say that "anything hand drawn or any artistic interpretation of a real person looks childish." Mostly due to your exceptionally vague, or at least not properly conveyed, definition of cartoon.
  • edited August 2010
    I don't think Telltale made that game.

He was giving an example of a CSI game that was more cartoon-y than the Telltale games.
  • edited August 2010
    cartoonish has ONE look..
    sorry CARTOONISH IS CARTOONISH..

styles well yes .. there are varried styles but it all boils down to cartoons

Shodan just flame on.. you always pick my posts apart..so here is some fact

DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING OR YOU WILL LOOK MORONIC SORT OF LIKE THESE CAPS

csi ny was ubisoft and LEGACY only (legacy is known for its bigfish and popcap style hidden item games).. and sold even through big fish so I DONT even consider it a csi game.

CSI miami had better graphics but again was NOT telltale
    the csi games helped on by telltale were all.... CARTOOONISH
    LOOK out at the INSANE realistic graphics from telltales versions
    1075262.jpeg

as soon as I see anything resembling anything outside this sort of realm for TTG is the day ill back down from the paradigm.

IMO telltale PREFERS this method of transport.. cartoonish but to the point of allowing you to feel like its involved as well..

ive actually spoken to many people at telltale.. some hate even mentioning realistic graphics.. just as some.. ahem.. hate inventory combining :P
  • edited August 2010

DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE POSTING OR YOU WILL LOOK MORONIC SORT OF LIKE THESE CAPS

Yes, I'm the one that looks "moronic", not the one who is arbitrarily saying a game doesn't "count" when it proves my "point" wrong. :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2010
    doesnt count as a flipping CSI game.. mate.

bottom line .. you think all CSI are telltale for some odd reason..
    they arent..
    and while telltale did some of its BETTER modeling stuffs in csi.. well its still cartoonish

im lost how you are flipping the coin here but im putting my foot on it and stopping it from rolling or flipping anymore.

shodan .. wrong..
    kaldire... right

in terms of the csi bit
  • edited August 2010
    doesnt count as a flipping CSI game.. mate.

bottom line .. you think all CSI are telltale for some odd reason..
    they arent..

It IS a CSI game.

I don't think Telltale made it, I know they didn't.

You said Telltale's games were more cartoony than every other CSI game.

I proved you wrong with clear evidence.

Deal with it.
  • edited August 2010
    Alright, let's move on, please.
  • edited August 2010
    i can go with a little cartoony but i really want the DeLorean to look legit
  • edited August 2010
    cartoonish has ONE look..
    sorry CARTOONISH IS CARTOONISH..

styles well yes .. there are varried styles but it all boils down to cartoons

csi ny was ubisoft and LEGACY only (legacy is known for its bigfish and popcap style hidden item games).. and sold even through big fish so I DONT even consider it a csi game.

CSI miami had better graphics but again was NOT telltale
    the csi games helped on by telltale were all.... CARTOOONISH
    LOOK out at the INSANE realistic graphics from telltales versions
    1075262.jpeg

as soon as I see anything resembling anything outside this sort of realm for TTG is the day ill back down from the paradigm.

IMO telltale PREFERS this method of transport.. cartoonish but to the point of allowing you to feel like its involved as well..

ive actually spoken to many people at telltale.. some hate even mentioning realistic graphics.. just as some.. ahem.. hate inventory combining :P

You seem to be saying that the adjective "cartoonish" is objective and absolute, but Telltale's CSI games aren't, in my opinion, cartoonish by any stretch of the imagination. Everybody is anatomically accurate and their features aren't at all exaggerated or disproportional, the skin textures are detailed and include blemishes, and the colour palette is unremarkable.

As somebody with a certain amount of experience in art and illustration, I can tell you that the artists that worked on the Telltale CSI games probably didn't intend them to be cartoonish. Since the characters are based on real actors, their recognizable features would be exaggerated slightly were they attempting to design a cartoonish game.

After seeing that the latest CSI game's graphics aren't very modern looking, I hope that Telltale go for cartoony graphics for fear of the games looking outdated.
  • edited August 2010
    sorry mates .. how about some telltale opinions?
    would be nice

shodan..
    CSI games are games involving the core structure of any standard csi game..
    making 9000 popcap games and then comparing those graphics to other NON popcap/bigfish titles is just as asinine as your rants.

again im not IN with telltale but I do remember a pretty heated discussion reguarding this exact topic about cartoonish vs realism and do they really want to cross that bridge or stay on this side of it..

but what do i know.. on that end right?

what i do know is.. saying that csi NY game is = to any of the dvd/cd produced copies .. is bs..
    yes it holds the TITLE csi.. no its not a csi game . its a HIGHLIGHTS FOR KIDS hidden picture game SOLD with the CSI title to entice idiots.

and cartoonish is absolute and objective .. sheesh.. but its also absolute to the ARTIST.. this being telltale .. their mode and medium is .. well what we see in all games made by them..

other cartoonist... take the peanuts strip would never take such an approach..
    all are still cartoonish.

as far as i know they wanted csi to look as real as possible without crossing said bridge.. but already ive spoken more than I should im sure..

oh and i still vote for the first person version of csi but it will never be done by telltale
    see tex murphy or even darkness within 1 and or 2 etc
  • edited August 2010
    Telltale's CSI graphics are definitely on the realistic side of things. They're not by any means exaggerated, stylized, or caricatured. They have a much lower polygon count and texture resolution than your average big-budget first-person shooter, but it's clear they intended for the game to look as realistic as possible within the constraints of the budget, the engine, and hardware of lower end PCs and the Wii, which is what they were designed for.

Also, Telltale's CSI games are first-person, aren't they? What do you mean by that last comment?
  • edited August 2010
    Even CSI:NY (I know, not by Telltale) graphics are on the realistic side of things. They are 2D drawings, true, but they aren't intended to be cartoony. Obviously, since they are drawings, not 3D renderings, they look way 'cartoonier' than Telltale's CSI games.
  • edited August 2010
    "Cartoon" doesn't have to be all ridiculous and not realistic at all.

I won't accept Tales of MI's kind of design for BTTF, that's for sure.
  • edited August 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    "cartoon" doesn't have to be all ridiculous and not realistic at all.

I won't accept tales of mi's kind of design for bttf, that's for sure.

omg guys, bttf is serious business.
  • edited August 2010
    what i do know is.. saying that csi NY game is = to any of the dvd/cd produced copies .. is bs..
    yes it holds the TITLE csi.. no its not a csi game . its a HIGHLIGHTS FOR KIDS hidden picture game SOLD with the CSI title to entice idiots.

I know this is kind of off-topic by now but... I just don't understand how you can be so offended by the notion that a game that's based around the CSI franchise is a CSI game... you seem to get pissed off when people don't adhere to your personal definitions of things.
  • edited August 2010
    "Cartoon" doesn't have to be all ridiculous and not realistic at all.
    Of course not.
    The way I see it, even if it could sound oxymoron-ish, we can find "realistic cartoons".
    In resume, that's roughly how I would classify different graphic aspects:
    2D:
    * Unrealistic cartoon: Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, Astérix...
    * "Realistic" cartoon: Clone Wars (Genndy Tartakovsky's 2D series), Tintin...
    * Realistic drawing, not cartoon: CSI:NY game
    3D:
    * Unrealistic cartoon: ToMI, Sam & Max, Jimmy Neutron, The Incredibles...
    * "Realistic" cartoon: The Clone Wars, most human characters (especially females and background characters) on Shrek movies...
    * Realistic, not cartoon: Telltale's CSI games, Final Fantasy movie...

Obviously, the skill and the means and resources of the artist trying to do the "realistic, not cartoon" stuff, will change the achieved level of realism.
    And surely we can find different levels of realism within each category I've said.
    That said, I think that Back to the Future game would be great as a "realistic cartoon", while Jurassic Park would be better as a "realistic not cartoon".
    But this is my subjective view of the matter.
  • edited August 2010
    I think we're almost over-simplifying the two terms here, you can certainly have realistic cartoons, and it's less a discussion about 'cartoony' graphics, and more one of the levels of exagerration into a caricature. It shouldn't be seen as one or the other, but a progressive scale of abstracting or exaggerating the cast, props, locales etc.
  • edited August 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I don't care at all what style they go for.

This. Since when did realism VS non-realistic become so important?
  • edited August 2010
    Elvenmonk wrote: »
    This. Since when did realism VS non-realistic become so important?

Welcome to the internet. It's a magical place where people can fight even about the smallest things.
  • edited August 2010
    eh, it's not even the internet. I often have friends who refuse to play games because they're not realistic enough. I wonder why people can't just enjoy a game for it's gameplay.
  • edited August 2010
    BTTFgame0831x-large.jpg

Ok, so now that we've got a piece of concept art...I think we can all agree that Telltale have found a happy medium between cartoony and realistic. At least in terms of concept art, but if we compare this concept art of Guybrush (from Tales of Monkey Island)...
    talesofmi_guybrush_concept.jpg
    ...to how he looks in the game...
    091030102700814901.jpg

...I think the BTTF concept art is a pretty good indication to how the games character models will look.

Looks great, but if I had one thing to nitpick about (sorry!), it's that Doc's eyes look a little...weird, maybe a little too much black around them. But aside from that, it's all fine. Marty looks perfect.
    :)
  • edited August 2010
    Looks great, but if I had one thing to nitpick about (sorry!), it's that Doc's eyes look a little...weird, maybe a little too much black around them.
    :)

He looks sleep deprived and a little insane. That's basically my first impression of Doc Brown.
  • edited September 2010
    plrichard wrote: »
    You knew this was coming.

Personally, I want realistic graphics.

yeah.. realistic grapics seems serious. on the other hand there would be thrill watching those cartoons.. lol
  • edited September 2010
    You know, that image totally reminds me of Raz and Agent Cruller from Psychonauts

201005041525.png

agent Cruller

Razputin.jpg

Razputin

and compare Raz with Marty and Agent Cruller with Doc brown with this (which is totally awesome and exactly what I expected from
    TellTale
    , although Doc look a little sane)

BTTFgame0831x-wide-community.jpg

What do you think?
  • edited September 2010
    Milkman08 wrote: »
    You know, that image totally reminds me of Raz and Agent Cruller from Psychonauts
    201005041525.pngagent Cruller
    Razputin.jpgRazputin
    and compare Raz with Marty and Agent Cruller with Doc brown with this (which is totally awesome and exactly what I expected from TellTale, although Doc look a little sane)
    BTTFgame0831x-wide-community.jpg
    What do you think?

Haha! You are right! Raz's face looks just like Marty's!
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, I did get a Psychonauts vibe from that concept art, although I imagine that has more to do with Ryan's angular drawing style, and may not end up carrying that trait into the game itself.

For similar reasons, this version of Doc also reminds me slightly of the Lake Scientist from Zelda 64.
  • edited September 2010
    Yeah, Scott C.'s character design (character design and comic writer of DoubleFine) is kind of angular.Double fine did a good job translating the concept art into 3D.
  • edited September 2010
    Two words: Cell-shading
  • edited September 2010
    Oh yeah, totally ! Cell shading for this kind of artwork is EXACTLY what it needs to look good !

I'm in love with this design. It's perfect. Cartoony, but still they look "human" and look alike a lot to Marty and Doc. Perfect balance.

I just hope the ingame graphis can look good.

Thing is, with Cell shading, "simple" textures always look good. And Tell Tales doesn't do anything else than "simple texturing" so really they should think about it ...

But maybe they're affraid it would look like a cartoon too much, and people wouldn't feel "like in the movies" ... So it's probably gonna be like Monkey Island.

Let's just hope the models look better than in MI.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm happy they don't look like that God Awful BTTF cartoon series. I just hope the lip syncing is improved. It's been getting better and better over the years and i hope they nail it for this.
  • edited September 2010
    Ketzergon wrote: »
    Two words: Cell-shading

I disagree. Unless it's supposed to look 2D (like SBCG4AP or The Simpsons Game), cel-shading always look bad to me (Actually, The Simpsons Game only looked good when not moving, in my opinion). The visuals in Sly Cooper looked okay, I guess, but not great. When I see these designs, I think of Devil's Playhouse, with its realistic light and detailed texture.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Well, the original poll is pretty much useless now that we know it'll be more of a cartoon-style game. Still, that Marty McFly glimpse in the PAX make-your-own thingy sure had an air of realism! ;)
  • edited September 2010
    Well, the original poll is pretty much useless now that we know it'll be more of a cartoon-style game.

Not really. It is cartoony and realistic at the same time. You do believe it's Micheal J fox and Chris Lloyd.

The poll assumed a cartoony style would be like Monkey Island. Which it isn't, it's a realistic-cartoony style. They're not out of proportions and the likeness is there.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm getting more and more excited about this game. At first I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I mean, as a kid, I did love BttF movies (especially the first one), but I wasn't sure how they would translate in games.
    Seeing the first concept art (and learning it won't be some action-adventure hybrid) I'm starting to get the feel for what they are trying to do. And I like it more and more. I'm also happy they won't try to pull out realistic graphics. Characters look great!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Not really. It is cartoony and realistic at the same time.

Come to think of it, maybe I did speak too soon. I mean, between the concept art and that glimpse of Marty's back, there are worlds stylistically. While the latter seems to be proportioned realistic and has some interesting, real-life lighting effects, the concept is very cartoony and has of course deformed proportions (the average human measures 7.5 to 8.5 head lengths, while the Doc&Marty concept art uses 6 to 6.5, if I'm not mistaken; this is, however, a step towards realism as compared to Tales of Monkey Island featuring a Guybrush model measuring a whopping 5 head lengths ;) ).

There's still surprises a-coming. :D
  • edited September 2010
    this is, however, a step towards realism as compared to Tales of Monkey Island featuring a Guybrush model measuring a whopping 5 head lengths ;) ).

To be fair, Guybrush has an exceptionally long head. Throws the measurement off a bit
  • edited September 2010
    Forgive me for my English, I translated the text into Google! LOL: D
    Please don't spam in multiple threads (Пожалуйста, не спам в несколько потоков)
  • edited September 2010
    PedsterUK wrote: »
    Please don't spam in multiple threads (Пожалуйста, не спам в несколько потоков)
    Sorry, will not happen again! ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.