Graphics

Comments

• edited September 2010
    PedsterUK wrote: »
    Пожалуйста, не спам в несколько потоков

What? Er... uhm... you fight like a cow!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Very quick retouch attempt... ;)

docredoatt.jpg
  • edited October 2010
    Kinda disappointed that the Doc Brown model isn't as angular as the concept art.
  • edited October 2010
    Um, guys. The model clearly says WORK IN PROGRESS. It will look better in the final game, there's no way they're taking a step backwards after 305's amazing visuals.

The ONLY thing wrong with this model so far is that he's unfinished in terms of texture. The actual animations are very fluid and realistic. It could top 305's in the first episode to be honest from what I've seen.
    edited October 2010
    Um, guys. The model clearly says WORK IN PROGRESS. It will look better in the final game,

Oh, duh, we all know that. ;)
    The ONLY thing wrong with this model so far is that he's unfinished in terms of texture.

Well, "wrong" is not easily applied to the model (although I tried). These are questions of style, and tredlow has addressed only a question of style. I would have wished for a more angular approach as well, but the same difference between concept art and game models has also occured in ToMI, so this was to be expected.

That said, I'd be severely disappointed if they only added texture to this preliminary model and think they're finished. There's work to be done, reeeeeal work to be done. But I am also aware that these pictures are probably from the first recording session, which is now more than a month ago. We can't know what the model looks now, please forgive my little graphic enhancement. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    The animation looks very rough, but I'm sure it's just because of the work in progress-ness.
    I'm fine with the model, personally.
  • edited October 2010
    The cartoony art style is fine, but I wish it didn't look so much like Tales of Monkey Island.

Not bad, though.
  • edited October 2010
    They should try to imitate Lloyd's movements as close as possible, as he did in the recording session.
  • edited October 2010
    The character models and animations are totally in the work in progress stage. They're not indicative of what you'll see in the final game but we did want you guys to see what we've been up to lately!
  • edited October 2010
    The character models and animations are totally in the work in progress stage. They're not indicative of what you'll see in the final game but we did want you guys to see what we've been up to lately!

So glad you did, I'm very eager to play this. It's clear you've all put so much effort into making this into a legitimate BTTF experience, more than just a videogame.
  • edited October 2010
    I can't wait to see some finished animations for Doc Brown.
  • edited October 2010
    Wow that is awesome, the work in progress model even looks decent, and Christopher Lloyd jumped right back into Doc Brown. Great job Telltale! I can't wait to see the finished work, I don't think I've ever been this excited for a video game,lol
  • edited October 2010

What a totally missed opportunity to have made the official response, "Please excuse the crudity of this model."
  • edited October 2010
    Back to the future is my favourite film but I will lose interest if it is not realistic as cartoony is lame.
  • edited October 2010
    BTTF's visuals will be wonderful. And in any case, with Telltale Games it's mostly about the story and characters, they have been faithful to every single license they have worked with so far. Their visuals have evolved over the last few years in TT's engine and have improved with every game they have made. I think they've struck a wonderful balance between realistic and cartoony, the same can be said for the tone of the BTTF series (the Doc character model is work in progress). You shouldn't turn the game down just because it doesn't look ultra-realistic just like every single other generic game out there. Everything looks and sounds great so far. Just be thankful it doesn't look like this:
    animated.jpg

You should at least get the free episode just to try it out and see if it works for you. I mean, it's BTTF! And it's Telltale! It's like a match made in heaven!
    :)
  • edited October 2010
    Back to the future is my favourite film but I will lose interest if it is not realistic as cartoony is lame.

Yes, because nothing has ever been good without being ultra-realistic. Why is everyone so obsessed with realism? I'd rather see stylized and unique art styles than bland uninspired attempts to mimic real life.
  • edited October 2010

Yes, none of the character personalities in the BTTF trilogy were at all cartoony or exaggerated. :P
  • edited October 2010

Your loss, I will enjoy it as hell.
  • edited October 2010
    I wouldnt say its cartoony either... Its the telltale style, and it looks almost exactly like what I pictured in my head

To be honest, I like the the telltale style exactly the way it is... lots of detail and technical artistry, but no serious attempt to make things photo realistic

It saves themselves from a lot of nitpicking, because of how short their production schedules are... they can spend time making more things rather than trying to make one or two things look *just* right, it can just be what it is

I'm not saying all game companies should adopt this format/art style, but it works for telltale and I am not about to start bashing it
  • edited October 2010
    If I can sit through TMNT 4 which is all CGI then I can safely say that it doesn't matter to me. Though it's distracting in a movie series this is a video game sequel similar to Ghost busters 2 1/2 released a few years back.
  • edited October 2010
    The only thing I will be disappointed by is if they do not start the game with a recreation of last scene from the third movie (Ala, the beginning of BTTF 2 and 3)
  • edited October 2010
    They already said it starts 6 months after the third movie.
    edited October 2010
    The game, yes. The intro sequence? We can't know. I think there's at least a chance that the last scene of BTTF III might be recreated. After all, TTG will have to show that loss which Marty is feeling six months after...
  • edited October 2010
    I really don't see them having two black screens right after each other.

For the BTTF 3 ending and then for the "6 months later" intro ...

Also, I really don't think they will model Clara and the kids, And worst, I really don't see Marty having his western clothes. It's not really "tell tales" like to spend time on making useless costumes... Since they didn't even finish the actual models yet ...
    edited October 2010
    Yes, they're in a hurry. They always are. ;)
    Let's see when it's done! ;)
  • edited October 2010
    The first episode is free download.
    Second the game is made by the company who made sam&max and the graphics there wasnt that great.

And dont forget sam & max was small games i mean each episode was 100mb? How much a game wich is 100MB can contain inside a good graphics? Good adventure game today in 2010 point and click is 4-6gb.

I know its episode game and yet Telltale did sam&max wich was very nice but the graphics wasnt so good. And for me graphics at 2010 is most important in adventure games.

Another point is that back to the future will be on Pc Xbox360 PS3 Ipad Apple i mean on each episode the graphics will be the same on each console if its pc applae ipad 360 or ps3 i dont think they will make speical grpahics for the pc. So the logic say they will not touch too much the graphics and leave it for more gameplay. And i hope im wrong but sam & max i think say it all.
  • edited October 2010
    I think stylized is the best route, realism would lose the charm of what the franchise is already. Games like this are never really realistic, I mean like above posters, The Beatles: Rock Band is a prime example. The mash of colours and charm save the art style.
  • edited October 2010
    for your sig: its deloreAn, not deloreon
  • edited October 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    for your sig: its deloreAn, not deloreon

Fixed, thanks. :p
  • edited October 2010
    I think stylized is the best route, realism would lose the charm of what the franchise already.

You are my favorite new member.
  • edited October 2010

Uh...thanks :p
  • edited October 2010

Anyone else read that in the "You're my favorite customer" voice? Anyone? Just me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdjtiOMGbA
  • edited October 2010

That's actually saying quite much there.
  • edited October 2010
    Elvenmonk wrote: »

:eek:
  • edited October 2010
    doggans wrote: »
    Anyone else read that in the "You're my favorite customer" voice? Anyone? Just me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdjtiOMGbA

Reminded me more of Arnie's "your my number one customer" in Jingle all the Way.
    edited October 2010
    Elvenmonk wrote: »

Oh,you can really feel the love in this forum. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    Didn't mean it as an insult if that's how it came out. Shodan's a good guy, but easy to bump heads with. :P
  • edited October 2010
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    The only thing I will be disappointed by is if they do not start the game with a recreation of last scene from the third movie (Ala, the beginning of BTTF 2 and 3)
    To be fair, that wouldn't be that easy to make really.
    BttF1&2 had an open ending, while BttF3 didn't.

Making a good starting point for an adventure out of the end of BttF3 would be very hard. I'm glad they have 6 month in between.

Chocolade wrote: »
    The first episode is free download.
    Second the game is made by the company who made sam&max and the graphics there wasnt that great.

And dont forget sam & max was small games i mean each episode was 100mb? How much a game wich is 100MB can contain inside a good graphics? Good adventure game today in 2010 point and click is 4-6gb.

I know its episode game and yet Telltale did sam&max wich was very nice but the graphics wasnt so good. And for me graphics at 2010 is most important in adventure games.

Another point is that back to the future will be on Pc Xbox360 PS3 Ipad Apple i mean on each episode the graphics will be the same on each console if its pc applae ipad 360 or ps3 i dont think they will make speical grpahics for the pc. So the logic say they will not touch too much the graphics and leave it for more gameplay. And i hope im wrong but sam & max i think say it all.
    Sam&Max 3rd season where all about 400MB per episode.

But putting that asside, Graphics don't automatically make good adventures.
    Telltale is still making one of the best Point & Click Adventures these days.
    Other adventures that where equally good came all from Germany (where Point and Click Adventures gained quite some popularity again).

Yes, I like good graphics, but I take a good game over just good graphics.

And I wouldn't say that the Sam&Max graphics where not so good. I liked that style. But that's in the eye of the beholder of course.
    edited October 2010
    Elmo wrote: »
    But putting that asside, Graphics don't automatically make good adventures.
    Telltale is still making one of the best Point & Click Adventures these days.
    Other adventures that where equally good came all from Germany (where Point and Click Adventures gained quite some popularity again).

Yes, I like good graphics, but I take a good game over just good graphics.

It's true that graphics are not the most important thing in an adventure game. Still, there's a reason why these were called "graphic adventure" in earlier times. The adventure genre was always striving for impressive visuals, because it's undoubtedly the fastest way to achieve player immersion.

For Back to the Future, I am obviously in the continuing process of thinking about the graphics (as can be perceived from my DeviantArt page), but gameplay is of course THE crucial aspect of the game which has not really been discussed yet.

There's one thread which discusses possible puzzles like in Day of the Tentacle (admitted, I'd like that), and another ponders multiple solutions to single puzzles. But the question whether BTTF can be really innovative and deliver the pinnacle of new, intelligent and fun puzzles cleverly integrated into the storyline is of course of crucial importance here. Telltale has made clear that for this one, story comes first; while that's a great approach, there has to be great gameplay also, hopefully surpassing such game mechanics as found in "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak".
  • edited October 2010
    It's true that graphics are not the most important thing in an adventure game. Still, there's a reason why these were called "graphic adventure" in earlier times. The adventure genre was always striving for impressive visuals, because it's undoubtedly the fastest way to achieve player immersion.

The reason why there where called graphic adventures was because we had text adventures before that (I'm sadly old enough to remember playing some of these too :)).
    I actually disagree that adventure games where always striving towards impressive visuals.
    I think adventure games where always striving towards impressive art styles.
    Okay some developers sure went for the good visuals mainly, buit the good ones went for art style.
    One of the best Adventures in recent years was Edna & Harvey: The Breakout (which hardly had impressive visuals, but an impressive art style really (not sure if the english version has been released yet)).
    Now there are good adventures whith impressive visuals (The Book of Unwritten Tales) for sure.

The art style that TTG and Gametap chose for Sam&Max doesn't really require high Polygons. Now would a higher amount of Polygons hurt the game, off course not.
    But then you don't want to end up to a point where you require High End PC's for adventures like A Vampire Story. Part of the success of Sam&Max is, that it's playable on weaker PC's too.

Another example, let's take The Secret of Monkey Island. Most people remember it for it's great puzzles and genius story over the graphics.
    I played the SE version and loved it, but most of my mates still prefer the original (I like them equally).

The good think about cartoony graphics is, that you can easily play these games in a few years time while realistic graphics usually age very fast.
    I still play my old adventures via ScummVM.

JAYSUS, I got carried away here. I do realise that you too think that gameplay is more imoprtant then graphics. We all do love great graphics, but I'm happy with the BttF graphics from the small few bits I have seen so far.

Let us just hope the gamepolay will be great! :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.