Story

edited November 2010 in Back to the Future
What Do you think will happen in the game

Comments

• edited June 2010
    They'll all settle down for a cup of tea, and the Doc will retell the time that Marty hilariously got into trouble and spent the next five hours picking up things that didn't belong to him, and trying to stick random objects together with an unknown/unseen substance, before finally finding a way out of his situation causing chaos and untold misery to numerous "background characters".
  • edited June 2010
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they just made good games out of the movies.
  • edited June 2010
    Honestly the only way you can do this is new characters in the same world. Aka someone finds that time machine.... car, win. Point is it would be hard but if they can go the tron 2.0 route it can be amazing. New story, new characters, really new world but connects with the car. IDK my idea is that some one "a really awesome new character, let's call him mighty pirate guybrush" steals the car or takes it out of pure need from without knowing what it really is and... ta da. Honestly sam and max season 2 episode 4 kinda showed they know time travel so it's very possible. But we need new characters, other wise every one will get pissed there's a sound alike or it's disrespectful..... unless they actually got some of the actors!
  • edited June 2010
    Dose anyone think the comics will be taken into consideration at all?
  • edited June 2010
    I hope they base it off of the movies. I love those movies. Come to think of it, I do pretty good impressions... maybe I could be the voice of Marty. But that's wishful thinking on my part.
  • edited June 2010
    Telltale has, and always will surprise me as too how they come up with these game ideas, I would have never thought of making Wallace & Gromit Episodes the way they did it.

And the Devil's Playhouse, I never even thought of anything as epic as that for Sam & Max. So whatever they're doing too it, you have to know it's going to be completely different then what you think it could be.
  • edited June 2010
    Honestly the only way you can do this is new characters in the same world.

No, it's not.
  • edited June 2010
    They could base it from the BTTF cartoon :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcUMAv2Rp0
  • edited June 2010
    You better be able to make a paradox where the universe collapses in on itself.
  • edited June 2010
    It must be based directly on the movies, since the DeLorean was destroyed at the end of BTTF3 :) Maybe Doc Brown creates a new time machine?
  • edited June 2010
    It must be based directly on the movies, since the DeLorean was destroyed at the end of BTTF3 :) Maybe Doc Brown creates a new time machine?

They still have the time-traveling train as you know. And there is nothing stopping Doc from creating a more compact time-machine using materials from the future.
  • edited June 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    They still have the time-traveling train as you know. And there is nothing stopping Doc from creating a more compact time-machine using materials from the future.

But there is something iconic about the DeLorean :) The train would still be cool though.
  • edited June 2010
    We've already seen Marty get stuck because he didn't have a power source for the flux capacitor, and we've seen him get stuck because he didn't have gas for the engine. The logical thing to fail this time would be the time circuits that let you input new destinations.

It would be an easy and un-contrived way for the designers to lock the player into a fixed number of possible time periods (since it would be impossible for them to implement every possible time and date a player might happen to enter), while at the same time providing an ultimate goal for the protagonist.

(Also, it would be easy for Doc to rebuild or replace the DeLorean at some point after the events of the third movie. So there's no reason to worry about that.)
  • jmmjmm
    edited June 2010
    Alternate Universe *cough*

That's the easiest way to do it and it precludes any possibility of contradicting cannon

Maybe something like:
    "After getting back to 1985 from 1885, something happens (from our perspective, a slight flash or another visual effect), the DeLorean continues to advance on the rails and it finally stops, but this time there is no train, the DeLorean is not destroyed and the ravine is still called Clayton Ravine!"
    "After awhile, Marty arranges to get the DeLorean towed to Doc's house, the crane says Wilson Car Detail. As we travel through Hill Valley, we see that the city looks almost deserted, too tidy for anyone's taste. We perceive that in this place there isn't a single piece of junk misplaced. Nearby a sign can be read: "Re-elect major Strickland"
    "Marty doesn't believe it, what happened? what changed?" The crane drops the DeLorean at Doc's house, which looks abandoned, bewildered Marty looks around trying to make sense of it" [game begins]
  • edited June 2010
    Whatever they incorporate, there needs to be suspense, time limits, and very in-depth, interesting and plausible space/time continuum dilemmas.
  • edited June 2010
    jmm wrote: »
    Alternate Universe *cough*

That's the easiest way to do it and it precludes any possibility of contradicting cannon

Maybe something like:
    "After getting back to 1985 from 1885, something happens (from our perspective, a slight flash or another visual effect), the DeLorean continues to advance on the rails and it finally stops, but this time there is no train, the DeLorean is not destroyed and the ravine is still called Clayton Ravine!"
    "After awhile, Marty arranges to get the DeLorean towed to Doc's house, the crane says Wilson Car Detail. As we travel through Hill Valley, we see that the city looks almost deserted, too tidy for anyone's taste. We perceive that in this place there isn't a single piece of junk misplaced. Nearby a sign can be read: "Re-elect major Strickland"
    "Marty doesn't believe it, what happened? what changed?" The crane drops the DeLorean at Doc's house, which looks abandoned, bewildered Marty looks around trying to make sense of it" [game begins]

I'd like to see something like this. I think an alternate reality would be the best way to go about it.
  • edited June 2010
    I think they could easily shell out a game with just travelling in time, sort of like how Doctor Who does their stories except with a Delorian instead of TARDIS.
  • edited June 2010
    They already said in some of the news articles about the game that it won't be a direct sequel to the movies, it'll just expand on the universe. My guess is that each season will have it's own story arch based around the adventures of Marty and Doc. The only thing I'm hoping for is that they have some quick explanation of why the DeLorean is back. Something as simple as a line of dialog of Doc saying he got a new car and rebuilt it. Nothing elaborate needed, but something nice to tie it into the movies a tiny bit.
  • edited June 2010
    I was thinking a little bit about possible premises, and here's something I came up with:

Some amount of time after the events of the third movie, Marty begins to realize that he really misses Doc, and he decides to check out Doc's abandoned laboratory. While poking around the lab he uncovers a long-forgotten Delorean prototype from before Doc perfected the time circuits or something, and somehow he manages to accidentally send himself back to some decade before computers were made widely available to the public, let's say the '60s or early '70s. It turns out the prototype time circuits didn't survive the journey and are now completely fried. Marty meets up with the Doc from this time period, and together they must locate the components needed to repair the Delorean. Meanwhile Marty probably meets up with his family and Biff and so on again, and myriad hijinks and complications ensue.
  • edited June 2010
    Dage wrote: »
    They could base it from the BTTF cartoon :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcUMAv2Rp0

While they shouldn't base it on this, I could see it being a similar idea.

They've already said the plot won't follow the movie, but they could still use the same characters, etc just in different situations with different stories. I think this would be a much better idea than retreading a plot we already know, plus it would make any sequels much easier to do.
  • edited June 2010
    I suspect each "season" will be like it's own mini-movie. Similar to the Cartoon in that they'll keep telling of new adventures involving Marty and Doc, but instead of every episode being it's own story, every "season" will have it's own story arch.
  • edited June 2010
    Obviously, all the characters from DOTT will have to be present. I want to be Purple Tentacle, or Green. Can't remember who wanted to take over the world.
  • edited June 2010
    StarEye wrote: »
    Obviously, all the characters from DOTT will have to be present. I want to be Purple Tentacle, or Green. Can't remember who wanted to take over the world.

Purple
    backlk.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    bttf was awesome hope the game can live up to it
  • edited June 2010
    They should base it off this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBw9E2Q_aY
  • edited June 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    They already said in some of the news articles about the game that it won't be a direct sequel to the movies, it'll just expand on the universe. My guess is that each season will have it's own story arch based around the adventures of Marty and Doc. The only thing I'm hoping for is that they have some quick explanation of why the DeLorean is back. Something as simple as a line of dialog of Doc saying he got a new car and rebuilt it. Nothing elaborate needed, but something nice to tie it into the movies a tiny bit.

They wouldn't need an explanation if it's not following on from the third film.
  • edited June 2010
    Ya, the more I think about it, the less I care. As long as the Marty, Doc and the DeLorean are in it, I'm happy. I'll just consider it to be the lost adventures of Marty and Doc.
  • edited June 2010
    I'd like to see them implement a chaneg the past, change the future/present policy. That would make for some interesting puzzles, seeing the exact same location with different people, different things in the shops, in the different time periods.

Maybe you need the docs biometric signature (handprint/eyeprint) in order to change the destinations, so you are stuck with just two (possibly three, if it's a new DeLorean) time zones to travel between. Maybe something has happened to the Doc (jailed for something), and it's up to the player to proove him innocent.
  • edited June 2010
    I think I would prefer original stories than just remaking the films into games, it would be hard to build drama if we already know what’s going to happen. Its about time a good games based on a film franchise was made and if anyone can do it TellTale can.
  • edited June 2010
    Back to the Future stories lend itself really well to TellTale's style of adventure games, so I'm not too worried that they should be pretty solid stories.

While I'm more excited for the BttF games, I'm really intrigued by the Jurassic Park game. I'm not sure how that's going to work as it's a lot more action oriented.
  • edited September 2010
    I think that the game should repeat original movie story, and then you can release DLS based on the plot comics or cartoons
  • edited September 2010
    I think that the game should repeat original movie story, and then you can release DLS based on the plot comics or cartoons

First: What's the point on playing THE SAME STORY? I prefer a new (but good) story with the same characters.

And second: Go here!
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    It's been quite some time since someone posted in this thread, although the topic should be as interesting as never before!

The following things are now fact:
    • We will control Marty.
    • The game takes place 6 months after BTTF III - in 1986.
    • Marty's loss of his best friend Doc plays a role.
    • Marty will "find" the DeLorean somewhere, for whatever reason.
    • Marty will go back in time to "find Doc", because he supposedly is "in trouble".
    • He will encounter a young Doc Brown and help him somehow, possibly in much the same way as he helped his father.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm glad you referenced the behind the scenes video in your post because I've seen way to many people asking questions on this forum that have been addressed in these videos. I'm excited to see where they take the story and how they address the fact that "Marty finds the DeLorean somehow when it was destroyed in BTTF3". I don't know much about Telltale's style, but I hope there are free roaming elements (a la Grand Theft Auto) and that the adventure is very open-ended.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    harkinat0r wrote: »
    I'm glad you referenced the behind the scenes video in your post because I've seen way to many people asking questions on this forum that have been addressed in these videos. I'm excited to see where they take the story and how they address the fact that "Marty finds the DeLorean somehow when it was destroyed in BTTF3". I don't know much about Telltale's style, but I hope there are free roaming elements (a la Grand Theft Auto) and that the adventure is very open-ended.

Don't write "Grand Theft Auto", "free roam" or "sandbox" in this forum. Someone might kill you. ;)

BTTF will be an adventure game without this kind of gameplay. Personally, I hope for less of an "open end" than ever before in Telltale's games. I hope that there is lots of closure indeed, story-wise. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    Ok i think i know how it goes :D :spoil-o:

Mean Biff will steal the Delorean again and go from 1955 to December 2010, he will get an early copy of the first bttf game-episode while he's breaking in TellTale games building. Then he goes back 2 years and give the game to his own older self at the game-company called "Biffy Games", then he goes back to 1955 leaving the Delorean behind.

Then all of a sudden we see parts of this website disappear :eek: being erased from existence eventually causing a complete wipe-out and its up to Marty and the Doc to save TellTale Games so they have to go to stop Biff before a chain reaction is happening in the space-time continuum which could result in a Paradox that could destroy our entire Universe :eek:

*joke*

Anyways :D I'm sure the storyline will be very good.
  • edited November 2010
    Here's a fan setup for a story I found posted on an imageboard of all places. (I'm an not the writer of this pitch)

"In the year 2015, 16 year old Marlene Mcfly fantasizes over the stories of her favorite sci-fi authors such as H.G Wells. She dreams of adventure but is forever stuck in her mundane life. One day her father Martin goes missing when she arrives home. Her father left her a letter that leaves instructions and clues to his whereabouts and car keys. Confused, she is chased by shady men and is rescued by a brazen young man with blonde hair with a sarcastic attitude. He uses an array of high tech gadgets to escape their pursuers. The young man introduces himself as Verne Newton Brown but tells Marlene she can call him Verney.
    Verne brings Marlene to the bridge near Eastwood Ravine to meet somebody but Marlene is confused as there is no one there. She is startled with 3 sonic booms and a steam train locomotive appears in front of her very eyes. I was like the stories she has read came to life! Another young man stepped out of the locomotive wearing Victorian era clothing. He politely dressed himself as Jules Eratosthenes Brown and apologizes for his younger brother's rude behavior. The brothers state that their father, Emmet Brown has gone missing as well and the letter left to Marlene holds clues to their whereabouts. Will Jules, Verne are Marlene ever find out what happened to their fathers? What is the conspiracy that that involves their shadowy pursuers? What is mystery behind the founding of Hill Valley?

Starring Allison Scagliotti"

All sounds great to me except the secret society thing. Not to sure how I'd feel about that plot.
    Though the survey for this game had that...(here let me find it)
    http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/070910-telltale-games-asks-for-feedback.html
    "Temporal Preservation Squadron" with a Tannen in the ranks always getting in their way, so that could work too.

Edit: That scenario would also probably introduce a bit of unnecessary fan-shipping.
  • edited November 2010
    harkinat0r wrote: »

You better be joking on the last part, telltale has never done that. To see what their gameplay is like, go play sam and max 104, its free.
  • edited November 2010
    Owh man....I wish that people who use free-roam/sandbox on these forums would just get an automatic ban. =P

Just wishful thinking. ^^

Why would people even consider an adventure game to be like a sandbox game in size? Have there been previous adventures like this?(serious question, not rhetorical)
  • edited November 2010
    King's Quest 8 maybe
Sign in to comment in this discussion.