Story

2»

Comments

• edited November 2010
    ^
    And that was considered the worst game. Coincidence?
  • edited November 2010
    Actually, King's Quest 8 is a pretty good game, the only reason it's considered to be one of the worst in KQ series is because it's not an adventure game. Which is a bit of a hypocritical point of view in my opinion, because (and I'm saying this being a fan of Sierra's adventure games) we're talking about a series of games which have ridiculously bad game design (KQ2, 4, 5; well, and 7 to some extent) and a blatant or non-existent story (KQ1, 2, 5), and was more like a technological manifestation than anything else (KQ1, 4, 5, 7; but a very impressive and practically ground-breaking manifestation, I agree), so Mask of Eternity is essentially one of the three games in the whole KQ series which has done, if not everything, most of the things right (the other two being KQ3 and 6), even though it's not of the adventure game genre. And let's not forget that the fan-made KQ2 remake (more like a total redo) highly surpasses absolutely every KQ game that Sierra has ever done.

PS. I always considered Monkey Island 2 to be a pretty sandboxy adventure game, btw :p
  • edited November 2010
    is because it's not an adventure game.

Okay, so it's not an adventure game then. >_>
  • edited November 2010
    Certainly not from a traditional point of view. But if Sierra called it an adventure game, they why it shouldn't be? Now, i m quite of an adventure purist, but that doesn't mean i'm for instance, 100% against any action element in adventure games.

Adventure games were ironically much wider term then than now. There was a whole genre of "interactive movies" which was basically simplified adventure subgenre, and yet we have now something like "Heavy Rain" which is quoted as some kind of a new miracle and breakthrough, while in it's pure form it's been already done many times in past.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    Genre classifications are really heavy, Doc!

The "Adventure game" genre as known today should be called "puzzle game" (because almost every game offers an "adventure"), and "Roleplaying" is almost completely defined by the use of numbers and levels (not by actually "roleplaying", mind you ;) ).
  • edited November 2010
    I disagree. If anything, more classic 'adventure games' should be called 'puzzle games'. Like Myst. It's really nothing more than a puzzle game where we move around in first person view, though somewhy considered to be an adventure game. We call obstacles in Adventure game puzzles, but they're not puzzles per se, they are, well, obstacles which should be overcome with some kind of logic. And in case with Myst-like games - these obstacles are literally puzzles.

Finding a plant to secretly put into someone's beer to put him asleep and get past (a typical adventure 'puzzle', so to speak) is not a puzzle, yet a machine with different, let's call them parameters, which we need to put into right order - that's a puzzle. So yeah, genre classifications ARE heavy :p

Speaking of Mask of Eternity, it's of what we would call an Action Adventure genre. Puzzle Quest, for example, is a Puzzle RPG :p
  • edited November 2010
    You know, with all the time traveling the Brown family does, I'd like to see how hard it is for them to keep track of each of their ages.
  • edited November 2010
    Yeah can you imagine that some authority-character would ask the Doc for his date of birth.

Doc would be like "Yes thats 1885, no wait 201,, 198.. GREAT SCOTT!" :D
  • edited November 2010
    Since he has been re-elected as governor it would make an interesting future storyline as his policies created the situation for Hill Valley's economic situation in 1985 :D
  • edited November 2010
    wat
    edited November 2010
    Hello Horza,

welcome to the forums!

I've merged the threads. You're referencing the storyline, so I've added your post to the "story thread". You will have to elaborate on how you think Jerry Brown could be incorporated into the story, though! Don't leave Chris too puzzled. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    Ok i dont want clara and the kids in the game so i found a way to make it a story!

In the game Clara is Doc Browns great grandmother, so if he marries her and have kids, all the browns will dissapear, after the end of part 3, doc dissapears, that way marty has to go to the west and stop Doc from meeting clara!

:D
  • edited November 2010
    FIGULS wrote: »
    Ok i dont want clara and the kids in the game so i found a way to make it a story!

In the game Clara is Doc Browns great grandmother, so if he marries her and have kids, all the browns will dissapear, after the end of part 3, doc dissapears, that way marty has to go to the west and stop Doc from meeting clara!

:D

And undo all the great events of BttF 3?

Anway, biggest problem there is that before Doc intervened, Clara died falling over the ravine. So she couldn't have been that vital to Doc's existence.
    edited November 2010
    The Brown family moved from Germany to the US in 1908... there's no Brown family in Hill Valley before. *phew*, one more incest avoided. ;)
  • edited November 2010
    The Brown family moved from Germany to the US in 1908... there's no Brown family in Hill Valley before. *phew*, one more incest avoided. ;)

jajajjaa ok, so in 1908, Doc Brown parents, meet because they both wanted to know more about strange death of Clara Clayton, so if she doesnt die...they never met...jajjaja...im trying!

:rolleyes:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.