Papierwaite Appreciation Thread

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
Come on, he's the coolest guy ever! He's smart, awesome, and he really gives Sameth & Maximus a run for their money back in 1901!

SnM_TPD_TSM_SS_papierwaite.jpg

Am I right, or what? Who's with me?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    What I want to know is where his accent comes from! He may be part French, but he certainly no speaking with a French accent. At least, he doesn't sound it.
  • joeldeejoeldee Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    I appreciate papierwaite
  • edited June 2010
    I appreciate Papierwaite.

I appreciate him so much that I even take the time to put a capital letter on the front of his name :D.
  • edited June 2010
    joeldee wrote: »
    I appreciate papierwaite

I appreciate men who can wear a fez and a plaid, flannel dressing gown with panache! :D

I also appreciate that Papierwaite's accent is completely and utterly not French. It's too bad we didn't see more of him in this episode :(
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I appreciate men who can wear a fez and a plaid, flannel dressing gown with panache! :D

It's not plaid. I want to say its paisley, but I'm pretty sure it's not that either. Whatever it is, I love it.

I also want to say Papierwaite is Tunisian or Moroccan, if only because of his Arab style outfit (the pointy shoes, the stripey pants, and the fez made famous in Tunisia and Morocco) and the French name. Both countries are Islam with French influence.
  • edited June 2010
    Papierwaite's voice and accent are very similar to Coronado DeCava's from ToMI. I'm quite sure it's the same voice actor.
  • edited June 2010
    By the way, did you know that his name kinda sounds like "paperweight"?
  • edited June 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    By the way, did you know that his name kinda sounds like "paperweight"?

I never knew that! /sarcasm
  • edited June 2010
    It's not plaid. I want to say its paisley, but I'm pretty sure it's not that either. Whatever it is, I love it.

I also want to say Papierwaite is Tunisian or Moroccan, if only because of his Arab style outfit (the pointy shoes, the stripey pants, and the fez made famous in Tunisia and Morocco) and the French name. Both countries are Islam with French influence.

Although I do admire Papierwaite as well, the gentleman in the plaid dressing gown I was referring to was this fellow. Whose name is Joel. Who works for TTG.

I'd also like to point out that Egyptians are also known for wearing fez, at least until it fell out of favor sometime in the late 60's, early 70's. Although his accent is definitely not an Egyptian or Arab accent at all. And Arabs don't actually wear elf shoes or stripey pants. I think he's just supposed to be a mysterious foreigner who has lived in Egypt for awhile.
  • edited June 2010
    Although I do admire Papierwaite as well, the gentleman in the plaid dressing gown I was referring to was this fellow. Whose name is Joel. Who works for TTG.

I'd also like to point out that Egyptians are also known for wearing fez, at least until it fell out of favor sometime in the late 60's, early 70's. Although his accent is definitely not an Egyptian or Arab accent at all. And Arabs don't actually wear elf shoes or stripey pants. I think he's just supposed to be a mysterious foreigner who has lived in Egypt for awhile.

Well, you got me there with Joel! That IS plaid! Kinda wish I could see him with the stripey pants and pointy shoes as well.

Well, I'm not the best at pointing out accents (my dad's a lot better), and I had been to Tunisia recently and seen a lot of people with fezzes. I heard that fezzes are also popular among tourists in Tunisia since fezzes were popularized there a while ago. So I was really groping from that and Papierwaite's French name. Fezzes may just be prevalent there because Egypt is so prevalent in all of North Africa.
  • edited June 2010
    How it "Papierwaite" a French name? Doesn't look French to me at all. And I've been told his accent is French but can't hear that, but I have to admit I'm terrible at recognising accents anyways.

I assumed Papierwaite was from Northern Africa, but I'm not quite sure where I got this impression.
    Oh, also, his "elf shoes", do you mean babouches? Because a patient of my father's gave us some that were really neat, and they did point up at the end and all. And they were from North Africa. I wanna say Tunisia but could be Morocco. I've always been bad of keeping track of which gifts were from which patient.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    How it "Papierwaite" a French name? Doesn't look French to me at all.
    Yeah "Papierwaite" is not a French name, but when he introduced himself, he said "my name is Monsieur Papierwaite".

But I agree that his accent doesn't sound French.
  • edited June 2010
    Okay, to clarify, Fez is a city in Morocco. That's where the hats came from, and they are worn in Morocco, but they were also de rigeur in Egypt for something like an hundred years, and seeing as how Papierwaite lived there for awhile I'm guessing that's where he picked it up. And the "babouche" are more Turkish than Arab, but were worn in parts of the Arab world an hundred years ago when Ottoman rule covered half of the Arab world. Westerns think they're cute, so like the turban, again not actually traditional, they're still produced for tourist purposes. Also not everyone from North Africa is Arab. Turks aren't Arab either, just so you know. They're Indo-European, but not part of the same sub-group as the Iranians. Or Kurds or Armenians.

Okay, so if that didn't clarify everything perfectly you probably read it thoroughly!
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    How it "Papierwaite" a French name? Doesn't look French to me at all. And I've been told his accent is French but can't hear that, but I have to admit I'm terrible at recognising accents anyways.

Well, the spelling looks like it was influenced by French pronunciation; the "ai" in "Papierwaite" is pronounced the same way as the "ai" in "aimer," the French word for the act of liking or loving.
    Okay, to clarify, Fez is a city in Morocco. That's where the hats came from, and they are worn in Morocco, but they were also de rigeur in Egypt for something like an hundred years, and seeing as how Papierwaite lived there for awhile I'm guessing that's where he picked it up. And the "babouche" are more Turkish than Arab, but were worn in parts of the Arab world an hundred years ago when Ottoman rule covered half of the Arab world. Westerns think they're cute, so like the turban, again not actually traditional, they're still produced for tourist purposes. Also not everyone from North Africa is Arab. Turks aren't Arab either, just so you know. They're Indo-European, but not part of the same sub-group as the Iranians. Or Kurds or Armenians.

Thanks for getting the details straight. I love you.
  • edited June 2010

I always thought it was a smoking jacket.
  • edited June 2010
    I always thought it was a smoking jacket.

As Lena mentioned up-thread, she was talking about Joel dressed as Papierwaite.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, the spelling looks like it was influenced by French pronunciation; the "ai" in "Papierwaite" is pronounced the same way as the "ai" in "aimer," the French word for the act of liking or loving.
    I disagree; it seems to me that the "waite" is pronounced like the English verb "to wait". And the "Pa" is absolutely not pronounced the way a French "pa" would.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.