The Soundtrack

edited November 2011 in Back to the Future
I think Jared might do a pretty good job with the soundtrack of the game, mainly because he knows how to keep the theme intact while playing around with variations!

What do you think? It would be a shame if TTG would just use the original soundtrack with no remixes or new tracks. (remix doesn't mean adding a beat to it and calling it "new and fresh" :p)

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Yeah, I think Jared could do a great job! (Maybe he is already doing it)
    But I hope he uses at least the main theme and maybe Silvestri could say "yay" or "nay" to the stuff that's composed for the game by Jared, eh?

Same goes with JP... They just need to get the original Williams sketches! Just like Don Davis did with JPIII.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I think Jared might do a pretty good job with the soundtrack of the game, mainly because he knows how to keep the theme intact while playing around with variations!

What do you think? It would be a shame if TTG would just use the original soundtrack with no remixes or new tracks. (remix doesn't mean adding a beat to it and calling it "new and fresh" :p)

If we continue our long line of impossible requests to TTG, which has reached a neat climax with the demand of all-original voice actors, let's just ask for Alan Silvestri to compose more BTTF music for us, and have an impossibly large orchestra to record it (the orchestra used for the BTTF music was the largest movie orchestra to date, if I remember correctly).

As for "remixes", I think that Silvestri's style could be imitated if necessary. Jared Emerson-Johnson would probably be up to the challenge, and he'd probably love it, too. The music would of course have to be all-new; we don't switch from movies to games to see and listen to exactly the same thing. We want something resembling and reminiscing, but at the same time wonderfully new and surprising. Nothing else could work - you as a part-time composer are well aware of that. ;)
  • edited June 2010
    If we continue our long line of impossible requests to TTG, which has reached a neat climax with the demand of all-original voice actors, let's just ask for Alan Silvestri to compose more BTTF music for us, and have an impossibly large orchestra to record it (the orchestra used for the BTTF music was the largest movie orchestra to date, if I remember correctly).

As for "remixes", I think that Silvestri's style could be imitated if necessary. Jared Emerson-Johnson would probably be up to the challenge, and he'd probably love it, too. The music would of course have to be all-new; we don't switch from movies to games to see and listen to exactly the same thing. We want something resembling and reminiscing, but at the same time wonderfully new and surprising. Nothing else could work - you as a part-time composer are well aware of that. ;)

I don't see why they couldn't just use the BTTF music for the most part and write specific cues where really needed. That's what LEC did with the star wars games, even the really good ones. But yeah, it'd be great to see some good new music in the BTTF style.
  • edited June 2010
    You're not thinking 4th dimensionally! Well, that's not what I meant but I couldn't resist. If they do it in the way that the old LucasArts games did it, they don't just make a main theme for the game, they write an overture with a lot of the story themes medley-ed together with the main theme IN it. And all overtures are different. Even in all three BTTF movies. In ANY movie. And with a franchise like BTTF which has a very epic soundtrack, I think it'd need a good original overture while the opening credits are running. TTG said they wanted to be more and more cinematic.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't see why they couldn't just use the BTTF music for the most part and write specific cues where really needed.
    Because you would clearly hear a difference between the cues recorded back in 1985 with a huge orchestra and the newly composed ones that have to rely on synths (I doubt TTG will have the budget to have an orchestra play it). In fact, I might just as well quote my own post from the JP-forum:
    Me wrote:
    The only thing that worries me about recording new music for the games is the budget. "Sam & Max" worked as a combo of live instruments and synths because of its jazzy nature. But a fully fledged orchestral score with synths? It'll suffer, just as ToMI's (undoubtly great) score did.

Still, I don't want the movie scores to be used here either, as a) it'd be great to have more new JP and BTTF music (although it should contain themes from the movie scores) and b) Telltale uses very cinematic cutscenes, which were all scored matching the action. A tracked (i.e. cut up) mix of the existing soundtracks wouldn't work as well.

I'm certain that Jared is able to compose a fantastic score around existing themes (which he did nicely with "Wallace & Gromit"), but why assume that he will be doing the music for all those games in the first place? I mean, according to several interviews his schedule is always flooded with composing and recording the music and supervising the voice and audio work for the games as well. And now with Telltale growing bigger and tackling several series (including some new ones) simultaneously, I'm not sure if he will be able to work on all of them. I guess it's safe to say that "Tales" will get a second season, but that's all Michael Land. So, why not have Jared work on JP and some other composer on BTTF?

Alan Silvestri and especially John Williams will be impossible, of course. Silvestri has some more movie scores down the line, while Williams would NEVER score a video game (and even in the movie field he's half-retired, working exclusively on Spielberg-related projects besides his usual classical concert stuff).
  • edited June 2010

Given Universal are involved i'm going big budget: Rick Rubin and Danny Lanois. :p
  • edited June 2010
    I also mentioned this in the Power of Love thread, but hopefully they license an iconic piece of pop music from each era they visit. That's a big part of the movie's charm.
    edited June 2010
    There have been a lot of games for existing franchises where a limited budget did not interfere with the use of an orchestra (or at least some real instruments). It's dangerous budgeting, nonetheless. Although not connected with the Lord of the Rings movies, Sierra managed to release games with brilliant music (paired with abysmal gameplay, unfortunately).
    I don't see why they couldn't just use the BTTF music for the most part and write specific cues where really needed. That's what LEC did with the star wars games, even the really good ones. But yeah, it'd be great to see some good new music in the BTTF style.

Because the real fans have heard that music 10.000 times over. If the original music is used, it has to be done very, very sparingly, at exactly the right moment. If it doesn't produce goosebumps, it's actually wasted. :D

LEC massively overused the original Star Wars cues when it could have been done so much better: In the "Knights of the old Republic" games, new music was composed in John Williams' style, and some of these cues were really, really excellent.

To put it in a nutshell, we actually need new music to make the games feel like a NEW installment of BTTF, not a copy of the movies. But I really don't expect TTG to go any other way.
  • edited June 2010
    Because the real fans have heard that music 10.000 times over.

Would people please stop assuming that anyone who has another idea about how things might be done must not be a 'real fan'? I assure you, my BTTF fan credentials are just fine. I just happen to think there is a way to do this that uses quite a lot of the originally recorded soundtrack.

If you listen to it, a lot of cues are actually reused within the films themselves and as a soundtrack it's not as tightly synced to the action a lot of film music, even Star Wars, so a lot of it'd work quite well transposed to different situations. There are only a few situations where the music was so closely linked to the on-screen action that it'd be difficult to re-use (Marty punching Mad Dog at the end of 3 springs to mind).

And to fill in the blanks, well, I agree that unless Universal are paying it would be difficult to get an orchestra, but there's a lot you can do quite convincingly with good samples/software and a mixture of real and sampled instruments nowadays. I think they could do a good enough job of using both old soundtrack and new music that it isn't jarring.
    edited June 2010
    Would people please stop assuming that anyone who has another idea about how things might be done must not be a 'real fan'?

I really hope not to have offended anyone. As always, different is not the same as wrong, and one fan differs from another in an infinite spectrum of ways. Still, I assume that fandom is connected with listening to the music over and over. My very basic assumption still stands that a something-old-something-new-approach for the game(s) would be the way to go - as with all movies and games series.
    If you listen to it, a lot of cues are actually reused within the films themselves and as a soundtrack it's not as tightly synced to the action a lot of film music,

I disagree, but it is very hard to back up my claim. Only parts of the entire BTTF soundtrack have been released. I own all albums, and I haven't noticed any re-used tracks neither in the movies nor on CD. I find the synchronisation of music to action to be extremely well made and to the point, but if you watch the movies a thousand times as I have, it's probably very hard not to get that impression.
    And to fill in the blanks, well, I agree that unless Universal are paying it would be difficult to get an orchestra, but there's a lot you can do quite convincingly with good samples/software and a mixture of real and sampled instruments nowadays. I think they could do a good enough job of using both old soundtrack and new music that it isn't jarring.

I agree with that! ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Original soundtrack for this game, thank you very much :)
  • edited June 2010
    There have been a lot of games for existing franchises where a limited budget did not interfere with the use of an orchestra (or at least some real instruments). It's dangerous budgeting, nonetheless. Although not connected with the Lord of the Rings movies, Sierra managed to release games with brilliant music (paired with abysmal gameplay, unfortunately).

Which Sierra are we talking about here? Choose your words carefully, I feel a rant coming on if you give the wrong answer...
    LEC massively overused the original Star Wars cues when it could have been done so much better: In the "Knights of the old Republic" games, new music was composed in John Williams' style, and some of these cues were really, really excellent.

Exactly what I was referring to. Dark Forces and Tie Fighter also had great custom scores.
    To put it in a nutshell, we actually need new music to make the games feel like a NEW installment of BTTF, not a copy of the movies. But I really don't expect TTG to go any other way.

Seconded.
    edited June 2010
    Which Sierra are we talking about here? Choose your words carefully, I feel a rant coming on if you give the wrong answer...

Let me phrase it this way (so many opportunities to put one's foot in one's mouth in this forum! It's paradise!): I listened to many of the Sierra LotR soundtracks, but played exactly one game. That was "The Hobbit". Somewhat fun in the first level, actually, but pure frustration in the second. Also, the game was incredibly buggy. I based my comment on that experience; if there's more to experience, I readily stand corrected!
  • edited June 2010
    *coughs*

*Whistles innocently*
  • edited June 2010
    *coughs*

*Whistles innocently*

That's so cool! It's the main theme in "Chariots of Fire" mode! :D

(Imagines the Doc and Marty running in slow motion with this music)
  • edited June 2010
    Let me phrase it this way (so many opportunities to put one's foot in one's mouth in this forum! It's paradise!): I listened to many of the Sierra LotR soundtracks, but played exactly one game. That was "The Hobbit". Somewhat fun in the first level, actually, but pure frustration in the second. Also, the game was incredibly buggy. I based my comment on that experience; if there's more to experience, I readily stand corrected!

Ok. At first I thought you were talking about Sierra's older adventure games which definitely weren't disappointing (to most). Sierra's later games all sucked. You're off the hook ;).
    *coughs*

*Whistles innocently*

Excellent work, my fellow musical friend.
  • edited June 2010
    to replace the theme songs from back to the future and jurassic park would be tragic. i mean its like having indiana jones without the indiana jones theme or star wars without its theme! the music in movies really capture's emotions and when your talking about john williams who's theme's are almost always theme's that'll stick forever and silvestri especially back to the future, i mean how can you change them? seems to me that someone would have to compose somethind twice as good and still i dont think it would work.

as for the rest of the score, keeping in mind them partnership now between the two, i'm sure that telltale will be offered the complete original score to both movies. no copyright infringment you see. of course if they don't want to use it they can always record a small ensemble and magnify it using native instruments in nuendo (its a program for recording editing blah blah). they don't sound 100% but many people do this when the budget is small. over a small ensemble it fits right in
  • edited June 2010
    *coughs*

*Whistles innocently*

Wow.
  • edited June 2010
    *coughs*

*Whistles innocently*

Nicely done.. but still, nothing beats THIS :)
  • edited June 2010
    Do you like Huey Lewis and the news?
    Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercial and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far much more bitter, cynical sense of humour.
  • edited June 2010

Awesome. I must get this. '85 Twin Pines Mall is one of the best pieces there. Disintegrating Einstein was also fun.

Also, I had to laugh:

"09. 1.21 Jigowatts"

:D
  • edited June 2010
    I thought you guys might enjoy this video I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NMph943tsw
  • edited June 2010
    Dead link! :(

Huh? That's weird! It's not for me, I just clicked on it. O_O
  • edited June 2010
    the link's not dead, use a proxy like hidemyass.com if it doesn't work

i suppose it has something to do with this "this video is not available in your contry"-bullsh on youtube. thank you GEMA!
  • edited June 2010
    Link is fine to view in New Zealand.
  • edited October 2010
    Huey Lewis has written a few new songs, but doesn't really think there's a market for them, so (reading between the lines) they may not be released on CD in the forseeable future.

http://www.billboard.com/news/huey-lewis-looks-toward-classic-soul-on-1004121447.story#/news/huey-lewis-looks-toward-classic-soul-on-1004121447.story
    We're not spring chickens. And the public isn't clamoring for new Huey Lewis & the News material. We have written a few things, but you want it to be meaningful, so it becomes increasingly harder.

How cool would a brand new Huey Lewis & the News song be on the game soundtrack though?

For old times sake, here's the full 6.5 minute video version of Power of Love and here's Back in Time.
  • edited October 2010
    That would be awesome
  • edited October 2010

I was actually going to mention that, because as you'll notice, the second disc contains alternate versions of almost every track from the original score. If they used those alternate cues, it would be almost like having an original score, since a lot of people haven't heard them before, but it would save Telltale the trouble of having to hire a composer for the game. And it might be cheaper to get the master recording license for those tracks then it would be get the sync license and whatever license you'd need to use just the themes but not the master recordings and compose new music, hire musicians, and record the music. Not that I'm saying that's the option I'd prefer, but it is an option.
  • edited October 2010
    Any chance at licensing some huey lewis and the news tunes for the game?
  • edited October 2010
    If you go the official BTTF section of the web, the main theme in its full glory plays in the background. So I guess that means they have the lincese for the music! :D

Now we'll just wait and see if they'll use music from the Complete Soundtrack or ask Jared to compose something new...
  • edited October 2010
    Well the Tales of Monkey Island announcement trailer used music from Curse and Escape, though Sam & Max/Wallace & Gromit's trailers used newly created music. Doesn't seem like there's much consistency in terms of which soundtracks Telltale have the rights to use, except for that SnM/W&G's soundtracks were created by Telltale and Jared. The music used in the TMI trailer was composed by Michael Land for the other games, and they used Land for TMI. Using music from the film on Telltale's site may imply that there will be tracks from the actual movie's soundtrack, or maybe a mixture of original compositions by Jared and from the soundtrack. I mean, if Jared's composing JP too (assuming), it must get pretty stressful for him. :p
  • edited October 2010
    Yeah, you guys are giving anwsers about everything else, but not about the music.

Curse you Telltale! CURSE YOOOOUUUU!

Kidding, of course :p
  • edited October 2010
    You know how you screw up perfection? By trying 2 change it. Leave Silvestri's epic score alone & maybe add "cues" to certain points (like when the Delo is revealed in BTTF1 to marty the 1st time).

As Stan Lee would say: "Nuff Said!"
  • edited October 2010
    I don't see how they can't just re-use the original OST.
    There is a song there for every setting and coming up with remixes and such will only distance the game from the trilogy and the exact opposite should be strived for.

I hope they'll use this mysterious jingle a lot =D:
    (At start of movie)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPkxu4vGxWM
    edited October 2010
    I must admit - in shame - that I'm getting tired of the BTTF opening fanfare, so it's high time that TTG talks and shows off some new music for the series. Up to now, every announcement or behind the scenes-bit and the website also has the Back to the Future theme, and as I kind of went crazy with these bits of info and watched them over and over, I really need some new material right now. :D

Composer announcement, guys??
  • edited October 2010

They've just announced that Bernard Hermann will be collaborating with Jerry Goldsmith for this game :p
  • edited October 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    I don't see how they can't just re-use the original OST.
    There is a song there for every setting and coming up with remixes and such will only distance the game from the trilogy and the exact opposite should be strived for.

They'll need to at least create some new music so that they can have a score that is timed to synchronize with their cutscenes.
  • edited October 2010
    I must admit - in shame - that I'm getting tired of the BTTF opening fanfare, so it's high time that TTG talks and shows off some new music for the series. Up to now, every announcement or behind the scenes-bit and the website also has the Back to the Future theme, and as I kind of went crazy with these bits of info and watched them over and over, I really need some new material right now. :D

I am the exact opposite. The more I hear it the more amped up I get.
    edited October 2010
    Well, I really hope that some questions will get answered in the next 24 hours. We still have no answers to our Q&A-session from last week! ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.