The Soundtrack

Comments

• edited November 2010
    For those who pre-ordered... If anyone of you have the chance, ask the team if they are using original music (possibly composed by Jared?) or if they are using music from Silvestri's soundtrack directly.

Thanks in advance :)
  • edited November 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    For those who pre-ordered... If anyone of you have the chance, ask the team if they are using original music (possibly composed by Jared?) or if they are using music from Silvestri's soundtrack directly.

Thanks in advance :)

They do have a license for the Silvestri score, so I'm guessing that classic themes will be used.
  • edited November 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    They do have a license for the Silvestri score, so I'm guessing that classic themes will be used.

Yes, I imagine the themes will be used. Buy I'm wondering if they'll ask Jared to compose something in that direction of if they'll use music from the official soundtracks directly.
  • edited November 2010
    Yes, I imagine the themes will be used. Buy I'm wondering if they'll ask Jared to compose something in that direction of if they'll use music from the official soundtracks directly.

Jared will be composing the score.
  • edited November 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Jared will be composing the score.

Awesome! You wouldn't happen to know if he'll use some real instruments right?

And is he composing JP too? Sorry if those are too much questions. As a film-music fan, I'm very excited! :D
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010
    As there is no JP insider forum yet, we don't have any info that you do not have concerning this matter. ;)

No info on real instruments in BTTF, just a hunch on the style of the music. But previous games used some "real instruments", most notably Sam&Max, while a full orchestral score would be too expensive. So most likely, it will be a mixture like before.

I'm very glad JEJ took the job, and I'm looking forward to the first snippets. I desperately hope they're going for even longer cues this time. Because of licencing issues - same as with the Tales - a separate soundtrack release is unlikely. We'll find a way around that, hopefully. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    I am lovin' what we have been able to hear from Jared's work so far! The first time I watched the trailer I just assumed it was Silvestri, until I got the headphones out, cranked the volume and realized it was a new composition riffing on the themes. Great work Jared!

Also, I can't believe you guys got rights to use a 'Huey Lewis and the News' track, I thought that would be an absolute impossibility. A great surprise!
  • edited December 2010
    I really hope 'The Power of Love' is in the game...

...Telltale, you really need to secure not only the rights to 'Back in Time' but also to 'The Power of Love'. Gotta spread some love for that :D.
  • edited December 2010
    I was happy to hear Huey Lewis & The News' "Back in Time" in the trailer. It looks like they got the rights to use Alan Silvestri's score and HL&TN's "Back in Time." Hopefully "Power of Love," too.

I wonder if they're just using the original soundtrack recordings from the movies, or if they are re-arranging or re-recording any of the score.
  • edited December 2010
    Despite efforts to search the forum for threads first, I managed to miss two threads on the music topics... so I shall direct my own self there:

Score discussion http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17315
    "Power of Love" thread http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17303
    edited December 2010
    Thank you, that facilitated the merge. :D

"Back in Time" seems to have been licensed for TTG. A new Huey Lewis song to commemorate the continuation of the series would be better, of course. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    So happy to hear Back in Time in the trailer. Now, as others have said, fingers crossed for Power of Love popping up at some point too.

And I'm still really hoping for a new track to debut as I mentioned earlier in the thread.
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Huey Lewis has written a few new songs, but doesn't really think there's a market for them, so (reading between the lines) they may not be released on CD in the forseeable future.
    "We're not spring chickens. And the public isn't clamoring for new Huey Lewis & the News material. We have written a few things, but you want it to be meaningful, so it becomes increasingly harder."

http://www.billboard.com/news/huey-lewis-looks-toward-classic-soul-on-1004121447.story#/news/huey-lewis-looks-toward-classic-soul-on-1004121447.story

How cool would a brand new Huey Lewis & the News song be on the game soundtrack though?

For old times sake, here's the full 6.5 minute video version of Power of Love and here's Back in Time.
  • edited December 2010
    Hey. Kinda tangential, but thought I'd share... Huey Lewis & the News are giving away an MP3 download Christmas song (Winter Wonderland) on their facebook page;

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Huey-Lewis-The-News/163316777012090?v=app_178091127385
  • edited December 2010
    Back in Time is credited in the credits but I don't think I heard it anywhere...did you guys hear it?
  • edited December 2010
    I did, it played when
    Biff puts on the mind reader helmet
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2010
    It's on the jukebox in the estate sale. Plays briefly right after the opening credits.
  • edited December 2010
    Hi folks!

I have search the internett fore the answear of this..
    in the trailer for the game what is the the name of the artis that is singing? and where can i get the sound track? its 0:55 sec out in the trailer. " tell me doctor where are we going this time" and so on.. please help! i need that song !!:eek:
    here is the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3blzGwd4xLg&feature=player_embedded
  • edited December 2010
    Huey Lewis and the news.
  • edited December 2010
    If you wants to have the song... Give me a sign...
  • edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    Can someone rip a track from the game for me? I'm on a Mac so I can't use the extractor. The track I want is the one that plays during the title cards with the shots in Doc's lab. I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm planning on uploading some of the tracks, so expect them soon :)
  • edited December 2010
  • edited December 2010
    Is that really Jared's work? O_____O Is there something he CAN'T do?
  • edited December 2010
    Yes! :D Thank you so much!!
  • edited December 2010
    Somebody put up the jaunty 1931 music you hear when you arrive in and walk through Courthouse Square for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4TUi7EgA8M.
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    Somebody put up the jaunty 1931 music you hear when you arrive in and walk through Courthouse Square for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4TUi7EgA8M.

Kind of reminds me of some Sam & Max tunes. On the other hand, Sam & Max have ALL kinds of music, so that's no surprise :)

Too bad that it seems they don't have the license for any real 1930's music.
  • edited December 2010
    Sorry, I had already posted this in other thread. Move along, move along.
  • edited December 2010
    Not that I don't like the music or aren't thankful, but you do know that you're posting it the for the second time in this very thread, right? :)
  • edited December 2010
    Sorry, originally it was a separated thread. I'll erase my post right now. Sorry again :o
  • edited December 2010
    Jared is fucking amazing. That his sheer BRILLIANCE at musical scoring is being wasted on this is sad. The man knows his shit to the point that I don't think I'd ever rate a score by him anything less than a perfect 10/10. His music can literally be used as a bar of quality that other game music should aspire to. I can't say enough how much I love his scores, no matter what they're in.
    edited December 2010
    Sorry, originally it was a separated thread. I'll erase my post right now. Sorry again :o

That's my work. I've been merging about three to four dozen threads in the last two days. Sorry if this causes any confusion, but the repetition is eye-popping in here.

But hey, psssst... secret!!
    The Telltale Music Extractor is now capable of getting the music from the game!!

Does anyone know where all these rad guitar sounds can be played in the game??
  • edited December 2010
    Someone has uploaded most (if not all) of the soundtrack onto Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MrNickWright
  • edited December 2010
    Does anyone know where all these rad guitar sounds can be played in the game??
    If you don't solve the getting-the-notebook puzzle right away (i.e. if you don't talk to George or turn up the volume on the amp) then you can hear both Marty and Biff play a few guitar riffs.
    edited December 2010
    Didn't catch that, damn. Well... I can play the beginning again.
  • edited December 2010
    That's Jared's work? Oh man. Oh man. I mean... I really loved his work on Sam and Max Season 3 and I thought that was his prime. But this... this just puts everything on a whole new level.
  • edited December 2010
    love the going to 1931 track!
    edited January 2011
    Dave McFly wrote: »
    love the going to 1931 track!

Yes, this track successfully merges synth sounds and Silvestri's original BTTF recording. The beginning is one of my favourite parts of ep1's music as well.

On the whole, I admit that I am less satisfied with JEJ's attempts to incorporate the BTTF motifs in his compositions. He sure does it skillfully, but I sometimes felt that these fragments were a little too emphasized, so that the mood in the scene is shifted in an unwanted way. In Doc's lab, the reminiscenced BTTF theme is built in as a well-prepared climax, but at the climax of the track, nothing special "happens" in the game. When this climax repeated for the fourth time, I felt that the track has missed its mark a little.

The action scenes, however, are brilliant to say the least. The cues not only keep the suspense level consistent, but also copy Silvestri's style with ease and incorporate a specific BTTF feel without drawing too much on the source material. Also, they transition into each other really well; especially the pacing in the finale was spot-on (while the scene itself felt more like a copy of BTTF II's 1955 hoverboard sequence - I still rather liked it).

The shot at 30's music is yet another great success, and I'd love to hear more of it. As always (!!), I am not satisfied with the length of the cues; even the first S&M season had some great music that added up to 5-6 minutes, I'd really like to see that repeated in BTTF.
  • edited February 2011
    One of the themes I missed in episode one was the "americana" theme from the films. In the films, it usually plays during the quieter, more emotional moments, like Marty writing the letter to Doc in the first film telling him he'll be killed the night Marty goes back in time, and the reprise of it when Marty discovers Doc's alive. Any chance we'll hear that theme in subsequent episodes?
  • edited October 2011
    I hope I haven't doubled a thread here, but I just wanted to acknowledge Jared Emerson-Johnson's score for the game. It fit so nicely into the musical language for "Back to the Future" established by Alan Silvestri, so much so that there are parts where Emerson-Johnson's music launches into the actual orchestral score from the films and vice versa.

One of the best cues is when we see Marty do the first time jump in the DeLorean. Emerson-Johnson does this building passage that explodes into the Silvestri score as the fire trails blaze.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.