The legendary Back to the Future FanArt

VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
edited September 2011 in Back to the Future
Let's start this as early as possible. :D
Get your pencils and graphic tablets out!

My first contribution:

martymaxflyfinalttgf.jpg

A larger version can be found on my DeviantArt account.

I'm done for now, who's next?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Haha, that's truly awesome!

I might make something at some point in the future.
  • edited June 2010
    Fealiks wrote: »
    I might make something at some point in the future.

I've been there and you do.
  • edited June 2010
    I've been there and you do.

Shhh, nobody should know too much about their future!
  • edited June 2010
    I can draw a stick man ! :S lol. Nice picture though. On a serious note, how in the world do you people learn to draw, somehow i never seemed to get past the horrible stickman stage like in kindergarden lol.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    I can draw a stick man ! :S lol. Nice picture though. On a serious note, how in the world do you people learn to draw, somehow i never seemed to get past the horrible stickman stage like in kindergarden lol.

It's practice... some tedious, some fun. But always practice! :D
    edited June 2010
    Still waiting for fellow artists to join in... ;)

docsignttgf.jpg

As always, a larger version can be found on my DA Account.
  • edited June 2010
    To be honest my brain doesn't notice stickied threads after a few days.

Much more attention if a thread rises and falls with activity, than it just being pinned.
  • edited July 2010
    Moar? :D
    edited July 2010
    Moar? :D

Let's just say there's more to come, Wolfy. But nothing this weekend... it's just_too_damn_hot to put the pencil in motion. I'm a winter guy! Also, I'd like to do something a little more spectacular next up, so it may take a while until there's "moar". :D
  • edited July 2010
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1654&d=1278089077

Posted this under Sam and Max, figured it also fit in here.
    edited July 2010
    Finally! Some fan art from somebody else!

I noticed this in the Sam&Max forums. But of course, it must have a place here. I was tempted to draw Christopher Lloyd with a Sam hat, but I've done enough blasphemy in that direction. ;)

I still find 2010 very optimistic - and winter 2010 is even over! :D

Keep it up!
    edited July 2010
    Just a scribble to "keep 'em coming"! More not-so-soonish! ;)

docscribblettgf.jpg

Bigger version...
  • edited July 2010
    I didn't know there was a thread just for this. Thx for informing Vainamoinen. Your posts looks awesome. And I hope more people will contribute. So here is a small contribution from me. Hope you guys like it :)

BTTF2.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I've been nagging the mods to make this a sticky for ages, but... :D

I really like the chunkyness of your fingers and the facial expressions. As for technique, how do you color? Is there an actual grayscale stage (Martys figure) and a color layer above it?

I hope you'll post more... in the future. This particular piece is more than a year old, I figure! :D
  • edited July 2010
    I heard gray scale stage before, it is more handy for some artists. I just never use that. I have never been into coloring much actually, it comes out as I go, so I can't say I have a technique for that. I give the most importance to the style of the characters and the artwork as a whole. The rough sketch is the soul of the artwork and my favourite stage. The rest is easy.
    edited July 2010
    I'm still trying to figure out how my bigger project might work out, and I'm calling out for help here.

Could someone with a BTTF DeLorean model (preferably one of the BTTF II SunStar models) please PM me? I'd need some photographs in a very defined perspective, possibly even lighting. Nothing fancy, just a reference. If some community member could actually do that, it'd be great.
  • edited July 2010
    Message sent. Hope it helps.
  • edited July 2010
    TOONA - that is pretty sweet. Looks like the duo aged maybe 5 years. COOL. :):)
  • edited July 2010
    Thx man :)
  • edited August 2010
    Here's a cool one I found on DeviantArt

Back_to_the_Future_by_Koomspot.jpg

Sorry about the size....

I wouldn't mind it if TT went this direction with the graphics.
  • edited August 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    Here's a cool one I found on DeviantArt

Back_to_the_Future_by_Koomspot.jpg

Sorry about the size....

I wouldn't mind it if TT went this direction with the graphics.

I wouldn't mind either! Looks sweet!
  • edited August 2010
    zz012514e8.jpgHere

Here is an artwork of perfection. Dan Schoening is a professional animator/comic book artist from Vancouver. He is working or worked for DC comics in some point. The style he has is amazing and is so inspirational. The ghostbusters pieces he made is crazy good. Check out the links.

The best style and BTTF art ever!

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/20/cool-stuff-dapper-dans-back-to-the-future-and-ghostbusters-art/

http://traditionaldanimatio.deviantart.com/
  • edited August 2010
    Love it Toona!
  • edited August 2010
    Wayy prefer TT to go more in the direction that Toona threw up as opposed to the one Skypes did.. Seems boring to be honest, looks like a still from an under-developed straight to video release imitation-disney film.

For what it is its okay and I don't mind cartoony, but I want it to look a little better than the crappy animations the Television show got..

EDIT: actually I just hope the game is nothing like the cartoon series, it reeked of stink.
  • edited August 2010
    We all guess that the game will be 3D right? (I wish it was 2D but it won't happen) so I found some 3D artwork (appropriate for the forum as well - 3D artists are welcome too) on internet. Check these out:

would you like it to be realistic?
    mcfly_1lo.jpg

or very graphic and stylistic?
    marty_635_02.jpg
    mcfly_635.jpg

I think this is the right way if we are gonna talk about the style because traditional art and 3D are very different mediums. Since the game will be 3D...

I have to add one more thing. The one on the top which is realistic modeling is probably for a collectible BTTF toy or a statue or something. So that job requires a high level of modeling. A game modeling will never be that realistic. It was just an example of the 'realistic' style of the game. And I have no idea if these artworks are proffessional or amatuer stuff.

But I totally agree with you for one thing. I love the BTTF cartoon because it is BTTF. But the drawings. character designs and the quality is so crap... (which is acceptable because it is for TV.)
  • edited August 2010
    Toona wrote: »
    or very graphic and stylistic?
    marty_635_02.jpg
    mcfly_635.jpg
    Woof!!
    Please NO!!!
    I don't like that 3D model AT ALL!!!

But I'd love a 3D rendition of the Dan Schoening drawing you posted, or the one posted by Spykes

EDIT: Sorry. I was thinking this thread was about what we'd like to see IN THE GAME. Now I realize it's about fanart in general. In that case, I still don't like that 3D model, but a little less vehemently...
  • edited August 2010
    That thing is pretty hideous. Why are the eyes so far apart?
  • edited August 2010
    Ya, I'm not a fan of the last 2, but the 1st one is amazing. Reminds me of Mass Effect quality character modeling. I love TTG, but I don't know if their game engine can produce that kind of result. It'd be incredible if they could do it however.
  • edited August 2010
    Look like a new character for Jimmy Neutron.
    edited August 2010
    So, we're doing a thread-swap now to steal all thunder from the "graphics"-thread, existing from minute one of this forum? :D

The stylistic approach here... well, hasn't got style, to be precise. The iconic abstraction is so vehemently overdone that, apart from the loosely brown hair and clothes, Marty McFly is really not recognisable. That simply wasn't the aim of this model. The eyebrows are just somewhere in his face (further from the eyes --> more female look, and MJF's eyebrows practically touch his upper lids from most perspectives), the characteristic slant of his eyelids is not even hinted at, and the actor's rather small mouth... well, that barn door of a cookie hole that model's presenting...

This means, I find the comparison rather unfair (good thing it's not in the "graphics" thread! ;) ). On the one hand, there's a great, detailed model with a great emotional facial expression that could never be reproduced in the game; on the other, there's a cheap, 10-minute Marty model that does not take advantage of any of the possible caricature/ slight feature exaggeration techniques which could make a more abstracted figure loveable.
  • edited August 2010
    There is some awesome art here!
    Here's one that I drew way back in '04.
    BacktotheFuture_v02.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    jar-guy wrote: »
    There is some awesome art here!
    Here's one that I drew way back in '04.
    BacktotheFuture_v02.jpg

Nice use of light and shadow.
    edited August 2010
    I've got this from the artist's website theautumnsociety. Glen Brogan seems to be a great fan, so this assignment from Front Magazine seems to have been a dream job. :D

w0bttf.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    F-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c!
    edited September 2010
    Yes, this was planned so_much_bigger. Poster-size, portraits done in pencil, almost lifesize, including a battered DeLorean and Lorraine right in front, wearing Marty's jacket.

Well, that was the dream. It didn't work out, I'm just not good enough. Here, in microscopic form, just a glimpse of my past endeavours, colored very quickly, because it's Monday evening and I am soooo tired. Have fun!

bttfopmintocolor.jpg
  • edited September 2010
    Well, um... I drew a sort of time controls on my wall... but it's nowhere near as good as anything here. I won't post it. But if you really care, it's synchronized with a time projector i have in the back of my room, to have the current time there. And I can change the destination date at time whenever I want.

If you wanna see, feel free to PM me or something.
    edited September 2010
    Ahhh, no need for shame. Just post it, we'd really like to see!
  • edited September 2010
    Well, maybe. For a while I figured I killed the thread, haha. Gimmie a sec....

Edit - Don't say I didn't warn you...
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=3311tnl&s=7

In the pic you don't see the time, but I couldn't get a good pic.
    edited September 2010
    It's definitly a bit basic.

...I like the idea nonetheless. Would love to actually see the digital numbers. And how is it possible that the date is actually right? ;)
    For a while I figured I killed the thread, haha.

Not as long as my right hand is still working. Where's my sketchpad? ;)
  • edited September 2010
    doc2.jpg

Have recently started painting Emmett, not nearly done but thought I could show you guys a work in progress. :)

edit:updated
Sign in to comment in this discussion.